PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [D&D 3.5] Can the Stick spell be used to connect a magic item to a mundane one?

GamerGodLink
2016-06-13, 01:26 AM
For example if I cast Stick on a non-magical Club could I then attach a Wand to it? Would I then be able to use Stick on the same Club again to connect an additional Wand? If I'm casting Stick from a Wand could I attach that Wand to the Club if it's the last Wand connected in such a manner?

I'm building a character starting at Level 9 and after my other gear and Wands I can't quite afford to buy Sovereign Glue to use for the purpose but I could afford to purchase a Wand of Stick to use as an (admittedly much less solid) stand in until I can get some Sovereign Glue to redo the job in a more permanent manner.

somethingrandom
2016-06-13, 05:39 AM
I'm not sure why you'd want to but by my reading of the stick spell which I was not aware of the existance of until now I can not see any reason why you couldn't.
2 things though
1) As per the stick spell the wands would be easily knocked of.
2) I would not consider your GM unfair if he ruled that hitting someone with the club could knock off/break a wand

GamerGodLink
2016-06-13, 05:51 AM
I'm not sure why you'd want to but by my reading of the stick spell which I was not aware of the existance of until now I can not see any reason why you couldn't.
2 things though
1) As per the stick spell the wands would be easily knocked of.
2) I would not consider your GM unfair if he ruled that hitting someone with the club could knock off/break a wand

The character is a Dragonfire Adept. She won't be using that club other than as a fancy wand or maybe now and then as a walking stick. I myself would actually rule that using it as a club normally would cause a random Wand to break and the rest to fall off where they could easily be stepped on and broken.

I'm also quite aware that the wands would be easy to remove from the club. Though I should hope that nobody would rule that normal use (as if a wand) would give even a risk of having wands fall off. (Except perhaps as a possible side effect on a horribly failed UMD check like 5 or more under the required DC.)

Troacctid
2016-06-13, 05:53 AM
I'm not sure you can even activate the wand if you're only holding the thing that it's attached to rather than the wand itself.

Elxir_Breauer
2016-06-14, 01:51 AM
As a wand storage device, it would likely work, but you'd have to remove the wands to use them, requiring another Stick spell to put them back. That's my interpretation, anyway. Aside from that, using it as a simple walking stick should be fine, maybe in extremely rough/hostile terrain have a chance for like 1d3 wands to fall off due to vigorous motions like catching yourself or fending off grasping vines or the like.

Edit: The spell targets a non-magical, unattended object. You'd be sticking the Club to the Wands, which it could then fall off of. RAW, this is likely to work, but RAI seems to be no on the Wand sticking. YMMV, as different DMs could interpret it differently, but it seems to not be valid.