PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Feat: Bomb Thrower

Goober4473
2016-06-13, 02:10 AM
Inspired by the new tool feats, I thought I'd put together something for throwing alchemical substances, since Tavern Brawler is currently the only way to get proficiency in them.

Bomb Thrower
You are an expert at throwing alchemical materials.

Increase your Intelligence score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You gain proficiency in alchemist’s supplies. If you are already proficient, your proficiency bonus is doubled when you make checks with them.
You gain proficiency in improvised weapons.
Double the range of any flask, vial, bomb, or other alchemical object you throw.
When an alchemical object you attack with deals damage, add your Intelligence modifier to that damage. If it deal damage multiple times, add this bonus only once.

My only concern is it might become rather useless at higher level without more potent substances to throw.

Final Hyena
2016-06-13, 08:01 AM
Another thing to consider is that using bombs is an action, allowing it to replace a single attack is necessary to make it viable past 5th level.

Goober4473
2016-06-14, 01:13 AM
Another thing to consider is that using bombs is an action, allowing it to replace a single attack is necessary to make it viable past 5th level.

Only for martial characters with Extra Attack. And adding more potent alchemical things to throw would also solve that, in the same way as scaling cantrips.

Arkhios
2016-06-14, 01:48 AM
Inspired by the new tool feats, I thought I'd put together something for throwing alchemical substances, since Tavern Brawler is currently the only way to get proficiency in them.

Bomb Thrower
You are an expert at throwing alchemical materials.

Increase your Intelligence score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You gain proficiency in alchemist’s supplies. If you are already proficient, your proficiency bonus is doubled when you make checks with them.
You gain proficiency in improvised weapons.
Double the range of any flask, vial, bomb, or other alchemical object you throw.
When an alchemical object you attack with deals damage, add your Intelligence modifier to that damage. If it deal damage multiple times, add this bonus only once.

My only concern is it might become rather useless at higher level without more potent substances to throw.

Seems decent and simple enough to me. While you're at it, why don't you homebrew some more potent substances yourself? ;) If a DM is allowing this, he or she might be convinced to add those too, if they seem balanced.

Final Hyena
2016-06-14, 09:49 AM
Only for martial characters with Extra Attack. And adding more potent alchemical things to throw would also solve that, in the same way as scaling cantrips.
Only for 5/12 classes.
Adding in more powerful bombs so that the damage is viable creates a weapon that is just as good with a caster as a martial character.
A level 5 martial weapon attack should be better than a level 5 cantrip (with the exception of a warlock).
So a scaled up bomb ends up either not good enough for a martial to use over a weapon, or elevates a caster up to a martial.

Goober4473
2016-06-14, 01:07 PM
Only for 5/12 classes.
Adding in more powerful bombs so that the damage is viable creates a weapon that is just as good with a caster as a martial character.
A level 5 martial weapon attack should be better than a level 5 cantrip (with the exception of a warlock).
So a scaled up bomb ends up either not good enough for a martial to use over a weapon, or elevates a caster up to a martial.

I'm not super worried about a feat not being useful for all classes, but I think having more powerful substances is a good fix all around, because it could add weirder damage types and/or status conditions for a martial character, and improve damage for a caster that's not expending spell slots, but not all the time in either case since you're spending money, if not time, getting the stuff to throw. I think pricing is going to be the biggest balance factor here.