PDA

View Full Version : City Domain Cleric - Need Optimization / RP Tips (time travel with restrictions)

DiceDiceBaby
2016-06-13, 07:22 AM
Hello, everyone!

I convinced my DM to allow me to roll a City Domain Cleric (see Unearthed Arcana here (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_ModernMagic.pdf)) in the next campaign, set in a medieval fantasy setting.

How is this possible, you may ask? Well, upon discussion with the DM, we settled that my character's a historian / time-traveller with convenient amnesia who was sent from his post-apocalyptic modern day (several centuries into the future of when the campaign is set) into a time in the past to prevent a disaster from happening within the campaign, which would lead to this dismal future (therefore removing him from existence in the process).

So basically a cross between John Constantine and Rip Hunter (both from their recent and respective TV Series) in a Days of Future Past-ish plot.

Since one of the side effects from time travel is amnesia, he doesn't know exactly what disaster he has to stop or how he's supposed to do it. He just knows he has to.

The DM included some caveats though. If I cast any spells from the Technomagic school, I'll have to roll an additional Charisma check to see if it works the same way it would in the modern time (or if it works at all). I'll also start out with gold instead of with the normal Cleric gear, and have to buy everything when I get into the past. I can't create anything futuristic in the past, because that would "alter the course of history" and such.

So basically I have a ton of understandable limitations for the character.

That said, this campaign will only run until level 7, or perhaps extend to 10 if the plot isn't resolved.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to optimize what is essentially a restricted and experimental character in this context. Thanks in advance! :smallcool:

JackPhoenix
2016-06-22, 02:16 PM
I can't create anything futuristic in the past, because that would "alter the course of history" and such.

Isn't the whole purpose of this character's mission to alter the course of history? With that "stopping the disaster" thing...

Also, clerics gets their power from their gods, if your character's god exists at this point of time, you should be able to use your magic just fine. If he doesn't, you're out of luck. Unless it's a setting where clerics don't need gods, but "just" faith (like Eberron)