PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Looking for a specific dragon variant

totemite
2016-06-13, 08:53 AM
I'm putting together a list of dragon species for a world-building project, and there's a certain dragon variant that I remember reading about in some supplement or other that I can't seem to find anymore.

The gist of it is, basically, chromatic (and possibly metallic?) dragons that don't have any spellcasting abilities, but their natural attacks/armor/breath weapons were buffed to all hades to compensate. This seemed like a really cool concept to me, especially in a low-fantasy setting like the one I'm going for, but I've looked in every place I can think of and it's like it never existed.

I have PDF copies of Monster Manuals I-V, Draconomicon, Dragon Magic, and Races of the Dragon (all 3.5e), as well as Dragons Revisited and every bestiary in PFRPG, and unless I'm completely missing it none of those books contain what I'm looking for.

Maybe I'm going crazy, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about or at least a similar concept I can tweak please let me know.

MisterKaws
2016-06-13, 08:55 AM
MMV p38, Dragons of the Great Game. You're looking for the Xorvintaal Dragon template.

totemite
2016-06-13, 09:15 AM
MMV p38, Dragons of the Great Game. You're looking for the Xorvintaal Dragon template.

wow, that is exactly what I was looking for. I saw the great game and remembered reading about it, but I'd forgotten that the dragons themselves were different. Thanks so much!

BowStreetRunner
2016-06-13, 12:14 PM
Took a look out of curiosity, and this Great Game suddenly seemed reminded me of a novel I read. The specifics aren't coming to me however. I recall that Dragons were treated as gods and sorcerers were considered a serious threat to their power. Anyone displaying any signs of sorcery (which included some degree of madness) was sent to the dragons. There were also a pair of parallel worlds - on with some sort of faerie creatures and another with goblins and ancient mechanical titans fallen into disrepair. Anyone recall what novel this was and know whether the whole Xorvintaal thing might have been based on the novel?

totemite
2016-06-13, 06:43 PM
Took a look out of curiosity, and this Great Game suddenly seemed reminded me of a novel I read. The specifics aren't coming to me however. I recall that Dragons were treated as gods and sorcerers were considered a serious threat to their power. Anyone displaying any signs of sorcery (which included some degree of madness) was sent to the dragons. There were also a pair of parallel worlds - on with some sort of faerie creatures and another with goblins and ancient mechanical titans fallen into disrepair. Anyone recall what novel this was and know whether the whole Xorvintaal thing might have been based on the novel?

The book you're looking for is Mystic Warrior, the first book in the Bronze Canticles series by Laura Hickman