PDA

View Full Version : Wilde Life

Typewriter
2016-06-13, 11:38 AM
I've been reading this for a while and really enjoy it, figured maybe some others would as well.

The story is about a guy who moves out to the middle of nowhere and finds himself in interesting supernatural situations. I don't want to say much more than that to avoid spoilers.

The art style is alright, and gets a bit cleaner/more refined as it goes on, and I personally find the writing/dialogue rather amusing. At the beginning of the most recent story arc the author gave a bit of a 'graphic content'/'violent' warning, so be prepared for that if you start reading.

First comic (http://www.wildelifecomic.com/comic/1)

Lethologica
2016-06-13, 12:18 PM
*ahem*

Man-man is dumb-dumb for sneaking peeks when a witch tells him not to. Hopefully puppy-puppy can get his not-friend back to Pemberley before the dance starts.
Okay, that's my WL meme quota for the day.

eschmenk
2016-06-13, 12:37 PM
It's one of my favorites. I'm not sure where the story is going or even if the author has any sort of an ending planned for it or not, but so far it's been a fun ride.

The author / artist, Pascalle Lepas, did the artwork for Zap! (http://www.zapcomic.com/) Toward the end of that comic's run, she seemed to be doing everything herself. The style of Wilde Life, both of the story and the artwork, is very different, though.

Typewriter
2016-06-13, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely not sure if this comic has an end game or anything. It keeps introducing new concepts and characters - I mean, it keeps old characters relevant/around, but it doesn't feel like anything is advancing - just growing. That's not a complaint, I really enjoy it otherwise.

Do you recommend Zap? I looked over the first few pages and the art/writing was slightly rough, so I wasn't sure if it was worth a 700+ page read.

eschmenk
2016-06-13, 02:19 PM
Do you recommend Zap? I looked over the first few pages and the art/writing was slightly rough, so I wasn't sure if it was worth a 700+ page read.

The artwork in Zap! improves a lot. Pascalle was developing Wilde Life while she was finishing up Zap, so she just went from one to the other and the artwork at the end was as good as what's in Wilde Life. The dumb jokes eventually stop (well, become much less frequent) and the story does have plot that reaches a climax and an ending, but any complexity in the plot comes from the number of moving parts, not the characters who are just cliches. (The main villain isn't too bad, though.) Although the story is obviously aimed at a younger audience than Wilde Life is, it became fun and I think it was pretty popular among the age group it was intended for.

If you don't like comics intended for a younger audience, you won't like it. Otherwise, you might want to read it if you have the time, despite it being pretty rough at the beginning.

Domochevsky
2016-06-14, 04:01 AM
"Barbara Yaga" ...yeah ok. :smallamused:

Kinda "hm" about all of this though, as I read on. Oscar is very much a passive observer in all of this. He has done jack so far, 187 pages in.

Typewriter
2016-06-14, 08:53 AM
"Barbara Yaga" ...yeah ok. :smallamused:

Kinda "hm" about all of this though, as I read on. Oscar is very much a passive observer in all of this. He has done jack so far, 187 pages in.

Yeah, he's interested in observing - he has a curious nature and wants to figure out some of what's going on, but he just sort of goes along for the ride most of the time.

aurilee
2016-06-14, 12:07 PM
I just binged this comic 'cause of this thread and I really enjoy it. The characters are fun and I like that the chapters are little self-contained stories. It's a nice break from the fantasy-epic type comics I usually read.

Thanks for making this thread. :)