PDA

View Full Version : OOTS Novelization

kpenguin
2007-06-28, 08:59 PM
What author, past or present, would you hire to write a novelization of OOTS. Besides the Giant.

Zhrec
2007-06-28, 09:00 PM
Salvatore probably...

kpenguin
2007-06-28, 09:02 PM
Salvatore probably...

Gah! Beware, Zhrec, for you have now incurred the wrath of anti-Drizzt fans everywhere on the boards.

Seriously, whenever Salvatore and/or Drizzt pops up, its as if the auto-flame mode is on.

Miraqariftsky
2007-06-28, 09:28 PM
Hmm, alrighty then...

How about Don Bassingthwaite? Elaine Cunningham? Richard Lee Byers? Richard A. Knaak, anyone?

Tolkien_Freak
2007-06-28, 09:31 PM
Me.

(10 char limit)

Ezlo
2007-06-28, 09:36 PM
Terry Pratchett.

Basalock
2007-06-28, 09:41 PM
Giant,the

:smalltongue:

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-06-28, 09:42 PM
Douglas Adams (with Terry Pratchett).

Or is that too much humour for the written word?

StupidFatHobbit
2007-06-28, 09:45 PM
Me.

Beaten like a hobgoblin in #470.

Edit: That is, I was going to say "me," not "Tolkien_Freak" although I'm sure you would do it fine and all.

thehothead
2007-06-28, 09:51 PM
I agree with GT Douglas Adams. Too bad he's dead. $%^&ing heart attack

Wojiz
2007-06-28, 09:53 PM
Orson Scott Card. Not like he'd be particularly suited to the job, but he's my favorite author.

The Extinguisher
2007-06-28, 09:59 PM
I must agree with Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett.

But I'd love to see a version done by Chuck Palahnuik. That would be epic level lich awesome.

13_CBS
2007-06-28, 09:59 PM
Actually, I'd like to see the Giant bring his very own creation to the pages of a novel.

With that said though, I don't think this comic would make a good novel. Or if it is to be so, it needs to go through heavy modification.

MReav
2007-06-28, 10:07 PM
Terry Pratchett. Definitely Pratchett.

The Extinguisher
2007-06-28, 10:08 PM
You'd lose all the visual jokes you don't get from just words. But you add narration jokes you can't get from dialouge.
It's an even trade, I think.

kpenguin
2007-06-28, 10:16 PM
Looking at the authors brought up so far, I'd have to agree with Douglas Adams.

Joracy
2007-06-28, 10:25 PM
Would it be bad if I said Tom Clancy? >.>

David Argall
2007-06-28, 10:33 PM
Well, Pratchett is the best choice of those suggested so far, but I doubt he is available, or would work at anything like an acceptable rate. The Giant is likely better used producing more comics to be turned into books.

Now we could try doing it ourselves. Post a verbal version of comic #1 and then have the rest of us edit and improve it. [All rights and profits would go to the Giant. Our pay would be being allowed to do it without charge.]

StupidFatHobbit
2007-06-28, 11:45 PM
Now we could try doing it ourselves. Post a verbal version of comic #1 and then have the rest of us edit and improve it.

The trouble with that idea is that a straight conversion from comic-style to novel-style, one strip at a time, isn't a very good way to write a novel. Fun, sure, but not necessarily any use for plot and characterisation purposes. Not to mention that the comic hasn't finished yet, so we can't see it as a whole.

If I was going to take on the job of turning a comic into a novel (in the real world and seeing it as a real job intended to result in a good novel) I'd have to go with the following rules:

1) Must be based on a reading of the whole comic, start to finish.
2) Must be able to rearrange the order of some events, maybe leave out some, maybe add in others.
3) It can't be a committee effort. One writer, though you'd also want to be checking in with the webcomic author at intervals, to make sure things are on the right track.

Not that I'm trying to talk anyone out of doing a forum novelisation ... just saying it's more likely to result in fun than a good novel.

Alysar
2007-06-29, 12:16 AM
Oh what a glorious work would have resulted had Adams and Pratchett ever had a chance to combine their talents.

Although, in retrospect, anyone who ever read it would spend the rest of their lives in a permanent daze induced by the sheer awe-inspiring wonder of said work, and civilization would come to a crashing halt.

ZekeArgo
2007-06-29, 12:19 AM
I dunno, Bassingthwaite does some damn good work. Would also love to see Rich Wulf take a crack at it. That man definatly knows how to write a mixed party ;)

Tredrick
2007-06-29, 12:36 AM
Salvatore probably...

So you want it to stink and underutilize the interesting things about the characters?

Might be fun to have Lynn Abbey have a go at it. Or Bob Aspirin. He could really nail the humor.

PsyBlade
2007-06-29, 12:39 AM
My recommendation? Samuel Clemens. Sure, he's dead, but he was a good writer.

kpenguin
2007-06-29, 01:25 AM
My recommendation? Samuel Clemens. Sure, he's dead, but he was a good writer.

Hey, Douglas Adams is dead. Mark Twain was a damn good writer with a great sense of humor. While we're at it, why don't we throw in Miguel Cervantes? If he were living in the modern day, I'm sure he'd make a great candidate.

Shatteredtower
2007-06-29, 01:35 AM
Margaret Atwood.

ThorFluff
2007-06-29, 01:57 AM
Homer!
Id like to see the oots on Verse.

but seriosuly? douglas Adams is the master of dialogue and this sure has alot of dialogue :P

kpenguin
2007-06-29, 02:17 AM
Homer!
Id like to see the oots on Verse.

Dude, totally awesome idea. I'd love to see an OOTS epic poem.

Agalyon
2007-06-29, 02:46 AM
I would choose Miko, think of the insight into the workings of a nut-jobs mind!

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-06-29, 07:21 AM
Paul Kidd.

He's available, he's funny, and his Justicar and Escalla stories have similar styles.

evileeyore
2007-06-29, 07:42 AM
Add Neil Gaimon to the list. He knows humor, subtle, dark, and comedic. He has written in several different styles and clearly understands the demands and differences between text and comic literature.

Or if I cold get the whole band together, I'd like to see Terry Prachett, Douglas Adams, Samuel Clemens, and Neil Gaimon.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-29, 07:49 AM
James Joyce.

No, really.

Only joking.

Sort of.

KmanCat
2007-06-29, 08:39 AM
Terry Pratchett.

TOTALLY. :thog:

Fitzclowningham
2007-06-29, 09:38 AM
Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Good Omens was awesome.

Uzraid
2007-06-29, 01:35 PM
The Beowulf author! In anglo-saxon!

But I think that anyone who proposes an author should be required to supply an example paragraph written in the author's style, e.g.:

William Gibson:

The katana traced a neon arc through the air and Shojo collapsed, the last firings of his dying synapses flaring like teenage climaxes in sweaty backseats. Falling. Subsiding. Dark.

AKA_Bait
2007-06-29, 02:26 PM
Pratchett ftw. Of course, as has been said, it wouldn't really work as a novel.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-29, 02:46 PM
Terry Pratchett, I don't see who else could (apart from the Giant of course).

fangthane
2007-06-29, 03:06 PM
Bah, never could stand Pratchett's excuse for writing. I know others seem to love it, but I never got into it myself. As to writers, it really depends if we're looking for quality or humour, or a blend, or something else. For a blend I'd say Adams is the best choice I've seen here so far. If for quality, I'd suggest Asimov or Donaldson as possibilities. If we want a guy with a proven track record of being able to novelise almost anything, I'd suggest Alan Dean Foster. If we want to boost the humour rating without regard to how well-written the novel would be... Gary Larson, Berkeley Breathed, Garry Trudeau or Bill Watterson. Maybe Scott Adams.

Dalenthas
2007-06-29, 03:56 PM
I'd second Asimov, but he'd probably add robots to it somehow... (j/k, Asimov is my favorite author).

Timothy Zahn? Tolkien (he'd make good use out of Elan's songs)? Michael A. Stackpole?

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-06-29, 05:02 PM
I know a really good writer, pretty tight with the artist, totally understands the plot, characters and general ambiance of the strip:

Rich Berlew.

Best possible choice.

Milandros
2007-06-29, 06:11 PM
If anyone, then the Giant himself.

Actually, I think OoTS would translate really rather badly to a written novel form. However, I would be intrigued to see a full original novel written by him.

Good SF novels require:

1 An interesting and engaging background world.
2 Interesting characters that grow and interact well.
3 An excellent writing style.
4 A great plot.
5 An innovative "hook" to trigger the mind and make the book distinct from similar ones.

Not many books manage more than two of these. Even Tolkein only got three -the movie versions of the characters are more complex and interesting than the book ones, and his writing style certainly doesn't flow easily. Rich has shown that he can probably do 1 and definitely do 2, has done some good enough dialog to give us hope for 3, and recently - the last couple of hundred comics - has shown that he can indeed do 4 and do it well.

When the OoTS finally reaches its natural end (which is a heck of a lot better than it just stopping one day) I urge Rich to consider making a novel his next project.

TomS
2007-06-29, 06:45 PM
George R. R. Martin. Best fantasty novelist alive, in my unhumble opinion. Heck, Belkar's pretty much like Tyrion, except with hairier feet.

Droodle
2007-06-29, 07:16 PM
Al Franken.

Harry Joy
2007-06-29, 08:04 PM
Kim Stanley Robinson.

Or maybe S.M.Stirling.

Yeah, everyone else would hate those books, but gosh darn, I'd read them.

And yeah, I signed up for the forums just to say that.

Hi.

PhallicWarrior
2007-06-29, 08:16 PM
Matthew Stover. The man's prose is haunting. (See the last few chapters of his novelization of Ep III.)

Bunyip
2007-06-29, 11:35 PM
I know a really good writer, pretty tight with the artist, totally understands the plot, characters and general ambiance of the strip:

Rich Berlew.

Best possible choice.

I couldn't agree more. This is the only reasonable answer.

:roach: No one else can do me right.

Firestar27
2007-07-02, 06:24 PM
If not the Giant, then D. J. Machale. He is one of the best authors in existence. (He is the author of the Pendragon Series). He knows how to combine action with humor and suspense. His plot keeps me wondering what happens next. He would definitely be a good writer for OOTS (as long as you are ok with it being a little more actiony). If not Machale then Brian Jacques. He's also a very good writer (although his stories become repetetive after the 15th book in the series).

Twilight Jack
2007-07-02, 06:34 PM
But I think that anyone who proposes an author should be required to supply an example paragraph written in the author's style, e.g.:

The katana traced a neon arc through the air and Shojo collapsed, the last firings of his dying synapses flaring like teenage climaxes in sweaty backseats. Falling. Subsiding. Dark.

Gods bless you, sir.

BardicMyth
2007-07-02, 08:24 PM
I might be showing my age a bit, but if you're looking for an author with a similar style of weaving humor I'd suggest John DeChancie who wrote the Castle Perilous books in the late 80's (if you haven't read them, I'd highly recommend you do for a good laugh).

BobTheFerret
2007-07-02, 09:09 PM
I agree with GT Douglas Adams. Too bad he's dead. $%^&ing heart attack

Douglas Adams is dead... ?

Okay, someone pony up the 20,000 GP for a True Reesurection. Now. :smallbiggrin:

mdvk1012
2007-07-02, 10:47 PM
Margaret Weis

jmucchiello
2007-07-03, 12:46 AM
I might be showing my age a bit, but if you're looking for an author with a similar style of weaving humor I'd suggest John DeChancie who wrote the Castle Perilous books in the late 80's (if you haven't read them, I'd highly recommend you do for a good laugh).

They are okay. You may as well include Robert Aspirin at that point. The early Myth books are also very good.

I love Pratchett but I don't think he's right for the job. I'd pick Peter David. Like Gaimen, he writes comics and novels and I think his humor meshes better with OotS than most of the other authors above.

Draz74
2007-07-03, 12:52 AM
One person beat me to saying "Timothy Zahn." But I'll nominate him again anyway.

... with "me" being a distant second. :smallamused:

Triggerhappy938
2007-07-03, 01:30 AM
I second Draz74.

kpenguin
2007-07-03, 01:32 AM
For those who say "the Giant"" or "Rich Burlew" or variations:

What author, past or present, would you hire to write a novelization of OOTS. Besides the Giant.

It would be too easy to cop out and say him.

David Argall
2007-07-03, 01:35 AM
The Beowulf author! In anglo-saxon!

William Gibson:

Next!
The writing is fine, but totally not OOTS, and particularly not the scene in question where Shojo survives long enough for dramatic lightning, and to mutter a last statement.

Wiggle
2007-07-03, 01:56 AM
Won't work - OOTS humour is 33% the art, 33% the RPG jokes, 33% the script.

So if you turn it into a novel, if my maths is correct it will only be 47% as funny

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-03, 02:25 AM
Jim Butcher! Jim Butcher!

Been staying up until 4 A.M. the past couple nightsreading the Dresden Files... just finished book 2 today... MUST. GO. READ. BOOK. THREE. GRAVE PERIL. (that's the name of the book)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shadic
2007-07-03, 03:25 AM
David Eddings, totally. Somebody here has to have read something that he's written.

The Extinguisher
2007-07-03, 01:37 PM
Won't work - OOTS humour is 33% the art, 33% the RPG jokes, 33% the script.

So if you turn it into a novel, if my maths is correct it will only be 47% as funny

Like I said, you may lose the visual jokes, but you gain narration jokes, that are not possible with just dialouge.

Anyway, we should combine all the author's listed into one super author to write the book.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-07-03, 03:30 PM
Douglas Adams (with Terry Pratchett).

Or is that too much humour for the written word?

Douglas Adams is dead so Im going to go out on a limb here and say not him.

Whoracle
2007-07-03, 05:16 PM
David Eddings, totally. Somebody here has to have read something that he's written.

Oh dear gods, please, no.
While I like Eddings' books, I don't think he could pull off the humor or character-depth.
Sure, his books had the occasional funny moments (just think of Belgarath... Funny old guy, or the Bhelliom), but it's simply not enough.
And his characters are as shallow as they come, except for the protagonists. And Rich makes minor characters immensely interesting.

Tad Williams could stand a chance, eventually...
Or, if we don't mind a 12-Book-Saga, and if he survives, what about Robert Jordan?

Tredrick
2007-07-03, 09:49 PM
As written by R.A. Salvatore:

After explaining their role to the Linear Guild he fixed his stare upon them.

Zz'dtri struck without warning. In a moment, his twin scimitars sliced through Hilgya, Sabine, Thog, Yikyik and Nale. He paused for only a moment before slicing Xykon apart. With a flash of uncharacteristic speed, he removed the goblin cleric's head and smashed his holy symbol, which he had long since known was secretly Xykon's phylactery.

(Mr. Burlew:

I took some liberties to improve the deep flaws in your story.

I plan for the sequel to involve Zz'dtri going to the south and teaching the Sapphire Guard how to be paladins since they obviously do not know how in your story.)

Recursive
2007-07-03, 11:53 PM
Or, if we don't mind a 12-Book-Saga, and if he survives, what about Robert Jordan?
Y'know, I say this with a certain amount of affection for the guy...but no.

Hayley sniffed and tugged at her braid. "Elan, you woolheaded fool, I'm going to insult you now so that none of the readers will suspect how much I lust after you."

Elan, suddenly self-conscious, rubbed at a spot of dirt on his face with his cloak. The cloak was well made but not ostentatious, of good wool, clasped with an intricate copper filigree, and required at least sixteen more paragraphs to describe. It never mattered again.

"Durkon," he said mournfully, "I wish I understood women the way you do."

Hilgya sniffed.

"Roy," said Durkon, "I wish I understood women the way you do."

Miko and Celia sniffed.

"Elan," said Roy, "I wish I understood women the way you do."

It was ironic, see.

"But Roy," said Elan, "You're not even supposed to be in this scene. You're off brooding over an intricate and overthought plan."

"Wasn't I doing that two books ago? Is this a different plan now?"

"Same one. Your part of the plot has kind of frozen for the last few books."

Elsewhere, Lirian and Sangwaan both paused to reflect serenely about the superior wisdom and perspective afforded to them by their ancient magical traditions. Then they both sniffed, and spent a few chapters making catty remarks about one another's clothes.

Vaarsuvius might have sniffed, but no one was quite sure.

cheesecake
2007-07-04, 09:53 AM
what is wrong with Salvatore and Drizzt? It seems like everyone here hates those books. They were among my favorite. Got me started into reading D&D based books and adventures. Now i've read just about everything in dragon lance and forgetten realms :-D

The Death Gate Cylce FTW!

TheAlmightyOne
2007-07-04, 01:24 PM
Y'know, I say this with a certain amount of affection for the guy...but no.

Hayley sniffed and tugged at her braid. "Elan, you woolheaded fool, I'm going to insult you now so that none of the readers will suspect how much I lust after you."

Elan, suddenly self-conscious, rubbed at a spot of dirt on his face with his cloak. The cloak was well made but not ostentatious, of good wool, clasped with an intricate copper filigree, and required at least sixteen more paragraphs to describe. It never mattered again.

"Durkon," he said mournfully, "I wish I understood women the way you do."

Hilgya sniffed.

"Roy," said Durkon, "I wish I understood women the way you do."

Miko and Celia sniffed.

"Elan," said Roy, "I wish I understood women the way you do."

It was ironic, see.

"But Roy," said Elan, "You're not even supposed to be in this scene. You're off brooding over an intricate and overthought plan."

"Wasn't I doing that two books ago? Is this a different plan now?"

"Same one. Your part of the plot has kind of frozen for the last few books."

Elsewhere, Lirian and Sangwaan both paused to reflect serenely about the superior wisdom and perspective afforded to them by their ancient magical traditions. Then they both sniffed, and spent a few chapters making catty remarks about one another's clothes.

Vaarsuvius might have sniffed, but no one was quite sure.

You forgot to mention how Roy has detached himself from his emotions and can suddenly shoot fire from his hands due to the voice of his previous life in his head.

David Argall
2007-07-04, 01:58 PM
what is wrong with Salvatore and Drizzt? It seems like everyone here hates those books.

While they have their critics around here, and for at least sorta good reasons, the point here is that S&D are just not OOTS style. Salvatore is high fantasy where the characters walk high, wide, and handsome. They may face overwhelming danger at great risk to their lives, but they don't have to wait in line to go thru customs when leaving the city. The nagging details of life are offstage instead of center stage.

In a different way, the same can be said of Jorden. His style is just not what we expect of OOTS.

Zhrec
2007-07-04, 02:00 PM
Well ... apparently I haven't readied a lot fantasy books. Sorry, for mentioning Salvatore. However, he wrought great novels, and it is not only about Drizzt.

Ok, second try, Lukyanenko (it would be difficult, because he is Russian.)

David Argall
2007-07-04, 05:47 PM
Not having read a word of his, I can't be at all sure, but the indirect reviews do not look promising. He isn't exactly heavy in humor, and his plots don't sound OOTS.

Tredrick
2007-07-04, 07:54 PM
Well ... apparently I haven't readied a lot fantasy books. Sorry, for mentioning Salvatore. However, he wrought great novels, and it is not only about Drizzt.

Ok, second try, Lukyanenko (it would be difficult, because he is Russian.)

Salvatore is an OK writer, but very frustrating to me. His characters deserve a better writer than him. They could be so deep and nuanced, but they are cardboard cutouts with a good paint job making them look deeper than they are.

Take Drizzt as an example. He is a good and noble drow who is good and noble for no other reason than he is. He is a drow sociopath. He rejects all of the rules of his civilization to live by rules that society cannot hope to fathom.

His characters could be so much more interesting than they are.

Zhrec
2007-07-04, 08:00 PM
Not having read a word of his, I can't be at all sure, but the indirect reviews do not look promising. He isn't exactly heavy in humor, and his plots don't sound OOTS.

Well, on the second thought, I think you right. However some of his novels are very funny (true he is not really D&D wrighter. But we speak about novel, not a comic.)