PDA

View Full Version : Bladelock thrower

LVOD
2016-06-13, 12:27 PM
I've been toying with this idea for a while: let me know what you think...

Essentially i want to homebrew an invocation for bladelocks that lets them draw their pact weapon as a bonus action, and give a short (10-15 ft) range to weapons that can't already be thrown.

As a side note, am i the only one who thinks bladelocks need more invocations? Maybe some that mimic fighting styles.

wunderkid
2016-06-13, 12:31 PM
Personally I can't see much of an issue with throwing weapons.

You can already draw as part of your free object interaction iirc. Do you mean summon as a bonus action?

But yes 100% on more invocations. It's what gives the path it's flavour.

gfishfunk
2016-06-13, 12:42 PM
I would like to see an expansion of invocations: outward not upward. Not things to stack on top, but things that expand the class towards different applications.

Like making a pact weapon throw-able, or making a pact weapon deal an alternative form of damage. Or making the familiar stronger and bigger (lets trade that in for a Fellhound, shall we? Not to compete with the Beastmaster, but to add a little extra to the familiar.).

Easy_Lee
2016-06-13, 12:53 PM
Well, blade pact warlocks already have access to a strong ranged option in EB. And they have to take too many invocations already, taking both Thirsting Blade and Lifedrinker just to stay competitive, rather than to actually gain new abilities. That said, I think one of the following could be cool as an addition to Thirsting Blade:

Your pact weapon gains a thrown range of 30', and automatically returns to your hand at the end of your turn after being thrown.
When you take the attack action, you may substitute rays as if from Eldritch Blast for attacks, at a rate of one ray per attack. These rays do not suffer the normal melee range penalty.

Both lead to the same number of attacks per round when taking the attack action, but allow the blade pact warlock to mix ranged and melee attacks in the same round.

LVOD
2016-06-13, 08:10 PM
Yes i meant summon your pact weapon as a bonus action, not draw. My bad.

I had in my mind the image of charging at an enemy, throwing your giant demonic greataxe, and as soon as it bites into them, it disappears and is back in your hand in time to slash them up close and personal. Super cool, no? Though mechanically its identical to just attacking twice.

Its pretty dumb that it takes an action to summon your pact weapon anyway. I mean the summoning is just for flavor, why have it eat up an entire turn when mundane weapons are free to draw?

Anyway, that invocation doesn't seem too weak to anyone? Honestly, with eldrich blast still being the obviously better ranged option, throwing your pact weapon is really mechanically pointless anyway.

Easy_Lee
2016-06-13, 08:31 PM
Yes i meant summon your pact weapon as a bonus action, not draw. My bad.

I had in my mind the image of charging at an enemy, throwing your giant demonic greataxe, and as soon as it bites into them, it disappears and is back in your hand in time to slash them up close and personal. Super cool, no? Though mechanically its identical to just attacking twice.

Its pretty dumb that it takes an action to summon your pact weapon anyway. I mean the summoning is just for flavor, why have it eat up an entire turn when mundane weapons are free to draw?

Anyway, that invocation doesn't seem too weak to anyone? Honestly, with eldrich blast still being the obviously better ranged option, throwing your pact weapon is really mechanically pointless anyway.

An invocation that merely allows you to throw your pact weapon would be super-weak, IMO. That's why I suggested just adding it to Thirsting Blade, and having it automatically return at the end of your turn (one throw / round).

Belac93
2016-06-13, 09:02 PM
I actually made some that work nice for this here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?484474-New-warlock-Invocations&p=20651345) Taking quick blade would let you summon it as a bonus action.

Alternatively, make it so that your weapon returns after being thrown, and maybe it's throw range in increased by 10 feet.