PDA

View Full Version : Blind Pact of the Chain Warlock

TyronePartII
2016-06-13, 01:31 PM
So say there is a Warlock with Pact of the Chain (or really anybody with a familiar), and the Warlock gets blinded. Could the Warlock just have the familiar sit on his/her head then use the familiar's eyesight? Would you maybe impose disadvantage because of the somewhat unfamiliar line of sight? What if the Warlock had been blind since birth?

TyronePartII
2016-06-13, 01:34 PM
What if the Warlock had been blind since birth?
I probably shouldn't have lumped this in with the other question. For this example, would you say the Warlock could even accurately interpret visual information from the familiar some they don't have a mental point of reference?

SharkForce
2016-06-13, 01:45 PM
just to be clear, chain warlocks (just like anyone else) need to spend their action every round to see through their familiar's eyes. the only difference between a chain warlock and anyone else in this ability is range.

anyways, apart from the fact that you're losing your action every round, i'd probably say there's a period of time spent adjusting if this is a new situation (a day or two), but otherwise wouldn't impose problems the majority of the time (there could be some theoretical situation where it causes problems, but they're going to be pretty niche).

but it's pretty much all up to your DM.

RickAllison
2016-06-13, 02:00 PM
just to be clear, chain warlocks (just like anyone else) need to spend their action every round to see through their familiar's eyes. the only difference between a chain warlock and anyone else in this ability is range.

anyways, apart from the fact that you're losing your action every round, i'd probably say there's a period of time spent adjusting if this is a new situation (a day or two), but otherwise wouldn't impose problems the majority of the time (there could be some theoretical situation where it causes problems, but they're going to be pretty niche).

Keying off this, here is a homebrew Invocation:

Eyes of the Chained: PotC exclusive

The warlock can see through the senses of his familiar for a round by using an object interaction.

This way, he has a way to reliably use it at both a feature cost (Invocation) and a mild economy cost (the free object interaction).

TyronePartII
2016-06-13, 02:00 PM
True. You wouldn't be able to do much else, but you could at least maneuver around.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-13, 10:14 PM
True. You wouldn't be able to do much else, but you could at least maneuver around.

Well, not with that attitude... How about...

Warlock 3/Bard 6/Rogue (MasterMind) 3

The most annoying character in the universe

Ideally you want Sanctuary up before a fight but the low duration hurts that a bit.

Action: See through eyes
Bonus Action: Sanctuary (just in case you have to go blind for a round or two)
Familiar: Help Action
Familiar (find familiar: help Action)

2nd round
Action: See through eyes
Bonus Action: Help
Familiar: Help
Familiar: Help.

Edit

Note: Being blind would make this character soooo much more annoying.

tieren
2016-06-14, 08:11 AM

While true RAW, I think I would allow a character to see through his familiar's eyes in this case without using an action, if and only if, they were in immediate physical contact (i.e. sitting on shoulder). It would have no mechanical advantage over a sighted warlock, and would have a disadvantage if something happened to the familiar (AOE or its off doing something else).

I wouldn't let him do it if the familiar was elsewhere.

Afrodactyl
2016-06-15, 02:33 AM
I would allow the PC to 'see' normally as long as the familiar is in physical contact, and it doesn't take an action (or maybe the 'help' action is them 'helping' you to see), the logic being that it is focusing solely on taking in as much information as possible, and somehow transferring/communicating that info to the PC.

Or maybe the familiar is actually the PC, and the warlock is some sort of puppet/husk they are controlling.

Millstone85
2016-06-15, 05:57 AM
What if the Warlock had been blind since birth?Any warlock will have their mind full of stuff they weren't meant to know or understand.
A taste of reality as their otherworldly patron perceives it.
Once I rose above the noise and confusion
Just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion
I was soaring ever higher, but I flew too high

Though my eyes could see I still was a blind man
Though my mind could think I still was a mad man
I hear the voices when I'm dreamingGaining the literal sense of sight for the first time? This is nothing in comparison.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-06-15, 01:10 PM
I think I'd ask for a few days of downtime to get used to things, then allow a blind character to see through the familiar's eyes without an action as long as it's in physical contact with him. The "cost," such as it is, is the fact that you're blind. An invocation to extend that to longer range would be reasonable.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-15, 01:34 PM
So say there is a Warlock with Pact of the Chain (or really anybody with a familiar), and the Warlock gets blinded. Could the Warlock just have the familiar sit on his/her head then use the familiar's eyesight? Would you maybe impose disadvantage because of the somewhat unfamiliar line of sight? What if the Warlock had been blind since birth?

My next Warlock will have been born blind and made a pact with a fiend or outworld entity so that he could be given sight (Arcane Eye).

Edit

Though technically with the wording of the eye invocation... You would gain sight even if you was blind lol