PDA

View Full Version : Majora's Mask is the best 3D Zelda game ever.

Wojiz
2007-06-28, 09:32 PM
I thought it was time for a topic that focused on more classic games than newer ones, soooo....

1) It displayed a level of detail and attention to characters that weren't central to the storyline than any other Zelda game to date, even Twilight Princess; no 'side' characters in TP were as intricate and refined as the characters in MM.

2) It had a much more mature tone, and this, coupled with a much more serious and (literally) looming threat offered a much greater feeling of immersion. The villain was a refreshing change from the predictable Ganondorf, it offered a moral quandary (however slight) to the antagonist that made you actually feel slightly sorry for him by the end, rather than the quintessential symbol of evil, Ganondorf, who goes out swearing he'll get you and your little dog, too. The Majora's Mask itself is a character infinitely more complex than Ganondorf; it shows at the end it would much rather play the position of the 'good guy' and can give Link the Fierce Diety Mask so that he plays the good guy, showing the Mask's desire to be good that sharply contradicts his nature. While still relatively simple, for a video game, especially a Zelda game, the main villain was obviously given much thought.

3) While it retained the the 'go to this dungeon, go to that one, go to that one, go to that one, go to boss' feeling of pretty much ever Zelda game ever made (with the possible exception of the broken-up pacing of WW), MM made these dungeons long and difficult, with plenty of work involved in getting into these dungeons to begin with. The level of detail, difficulty and complexity of these dungeons made each and every one of them more memorable than any other Zelda dungeons, especially ones in, say, WW (though you could argue that some of the dungeons in Ocarina of Time are more memorable, this is mostly because it's the most widely played; hell, everyone's memorized the Great Deku Tree.)

4) Some of the music was the best Zelda music ever made; while the soundtrack itself wasn't all that diverse and music for four of the main areas were essentially the same tune remixed, music for the town, the falling of the moon, boss music and various other tunes were incredible. Not only that, but the regular battle music is arguably the best of any Zelda game to date, with the possible exception of TP. Not only that, the subtle changes from the peaceful music of the first day to the frantic music of the third day and the impending apocalypse play an important part in the environment.

5) Technically, it's arguably the most impressive Zelda game. It pushes the limits of the system it was created for more than any other console, and that's significant because Wind Waker pushed the processing power of the Gamecube a ton. For it's time, Majora's mask boasted amazing drawing distances, better lighting, more textures, more characters on screen, better animations. Majora's Mask is actually taking into account up to 50 or 60 characters with their own individual routes often, which, when factoring in the release date and especially when factoring in the technical limitations of the N64, was amazing. The only thing it didn't do was bring Zelda to 3D, which OOT did.

6) Gameplay-wise, it took the same gameplay that OOT boasted, which was lauded greatly 8 years ago, and improves on it. The little changes, the little tightenings and the problems corrected gave us an engine similar to OOT, but more refined, sharper. The gameplay was still great.

7) The atmosphere of the game is far more intelligent than arguably any other Zelda game, except maybe Twilight Princess, though even TP falls to the same cliches that OOT does in that the storyline is rather direct; it's more really more dark than it is intelligent. The storyline is superb as well and a refreshing change from the norm of Zelda games.

8) OOT boasts more sidequests and collectable items than any other Zelda game besides Wind Waker, hands down. And the sidequests that are there are far more rewarding than the ones in Wind Waker because there are, well, more things that MM rewards you with. Collecting the masks was innovative and proved to be a driving force in completing sidequests. This, coupled with various other quests and the usual 'get the biggest wallet, get all the heart pieces' made for more interesting and numerous quests than any other Zelda game besides Wind Waker (and, while I love Wind Waker, I never reaaaally fancied collecting all those treasure charts, and the Golden Skulltula Quest in Ocarina was something I did once and never want to do ever again.)

9) The boss battles are epic. There's really no other way to put it. Every single boss was difficult to some extent, and they were all enormous. The swamp temple boss was fun and he was a pretty cool boss to fight, too. The snow temple boss, that giant bull, is probably the most unique Zelda boss to date, and fun to boot. The third one was difficult, which is a nice change, and the last one, where you ran around as a giant, was just as fun as the first. Not only that, none of them were really that easy; the only one that was easy for anyone to beat is the 2nd, and even an average gamer can have difficulty with the 3rd, the boss of the water temple.

10) It's the most difficult Zelda game... Well, most difficult 3D Zelda game. It doesn't hold your hand at all, it's not as linear as the others, the battles aren't as easy as the other games, especially factoring in reaction commands from Wind Waker and the ridiculous ease with which you could beat TP, and the sidequests require a lot more planning and a lot more work. MM gives more experienced gamers a chance to be challenged by a Zelda game.

This is my opinion and if you disagree you are wrong.

(jklawl)

By the way, I don't dislike any of the games I mentioned. I love Link's Awakening, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker (I know, I know.) and Twilight Princess, and I think they're all amazing games, even when I criticize them in comparison to the masterpiece that is Majora's Mask.

DISCUSS!

The Hired Sloth
2007-06-28, 09:48 PM
I'm inclined to agree, though I'd disagree on the whole Majora vs. Fierce Deity deal; honestly, I got the impression that said mask was added for two reasons, neither of which had anything to do with any part of the story.

1. To give the players a reward for getting all 20 masks.
2. Because they thought Majora's Mask~Wrath were too hard for most of the people playing.

Destro_Yersul
2007-06-28, 09:54 PM
The scary bit is that I've memorized the MM dungeons.

Currently on my third run through the game. Gone back in time twice, and I've already got half the bottles, a quarter of the masks, and the first two remains masks.

I know, I know. Too much time on my hands. Amazing game though, especially the time mechanic. ((Lottery!))

Wojiz
2007-06-28, 09:56 PM
Yeah, I've got them memorized for the most part two, besides the mass confusion that is the 4th dungeon and parts of the 3rd.

The time mechanic is also something great about it I didn't quite touch on. It provides a twist not really seen in any other Zelda game, provides a genuine feeling of suspense (especially before the first time turn) and generally rawks all around.

Destro_Yersul
2007-06-28, 10:01 PM
I know most of the fourth dungeon. There's one part I always forget to flip it, but then that's to be expected. I memorized the Ikana well too :D.

Also: Hate the Ceiling eye.

starwoof
2007-06-28, 10:02 PM
For what its worth I agree with you 100%. MM was the single greatest zelda game ever. I just finished playign through it again last year, and gah, its sweet. The characters are really the big hook. MM always leaves me really sad though. In a good way. Link dosn't find his old friend, but he does make a lot of new ones.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l121/starwoof2/end.jpg

EDIT: A lot of people I know didnt like MM because of the time thing. They're crazy.

Rama_Lei
2007-06-28, 10:06 PM
Another part I like was how the kinda just said "see ya" to canon. The Gerudo? Sexy, sea-faring pirates. The Deku? Intelligent, cultured and organized. And no Hyrule Castle, and no Zelda.

Destro_Yersul
2007-06-28, 10:33 PM
Alternate realities FTW! Majora's Mask technically took place in Termina, which has nothing to do with Hyrule. Hence no Castle, No Ganon, and alternate uses of the character models.

And as for finding the old friend: I suspect it was Navi. Why he'd go looking for her I don't know, but there you have it. Tatl is, at least, less annoying.

Ghal Marak
2007-06-28, 11:14 PM
I agree, Majora's Mask was most enjoyable. I am by no means a collector though. Infact, I only had one or two masks the first time I played through. But hey, that's just how I play. :smallsmile:

Oh, I would also like to bring up the Creepy Mask Guy. I don't know about everybody else, but he freaked me the hell out when he started playing that Organ. :smalleek: Did he bother anybody else like that?

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-06-28, 11:20 PM
I whole heartedly disagree with that.

1) The game was extremely short, and there were really few temples/dungeons to it. But, due to that, there was a lot more extras (finding the masks, more golden skulltulas to have to go hunt in the wild for, picture cruise, ranch ghosts etc.)

2) While the concept was very creative, I felt the story was kind of lacking

3) I think there's much more substance and creativity to both OOT and TP. The story captivated me much more with those two games, they were rather lengthy, and both had plenty of extras to go mess around with. Especially on the Gamecube (Master Quest OOT) and TP, the graphics are absolutely stunning, and add just that much more to the games.

P.S. As for difficulty, nothing, and I do mean nothing holds a candle anywhere close to the Master Quest. That thing is just insane.

Mr._Blinky
2007-06-28, 11:27 PM
And as for finding the old friend: I suspect it was Navi. Why he'd go looking for her I don't know, but there you have it. Tatl is, at least, less annoying.

No, it was Epona, who was stolen in the beginning. The only reason Link chases the Skullkid (that's the name of the boss right?) is that the little bastard stole his horse.

Destro_Yersul
2007-06-28, 11:30 PM
Ah, but he was riding Epona through the forest in the beginning. The reason he ended up in Termina is that the horse got stolen, but why would he go looking for something he already knew the location of? He was riding Epona in the flashback too, which means that the horse wasn't the friend he was looking for.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-06-29, 04:29 AM
I didnt like it all that much. Once I traveled back in time the first time, lost all my rupees and game progress I just got bored and went back to ocarina of time.

Jibar
2007-06-29, 04:46 AM
Did you not visit the Bank guy? Saves all your rupees for you despite time.
I thought he was a little creepy like that. Plus whenever he went to check my hand he... he looked like he was touching me...

P.S. As for difficulty, nothing, and I do mean nothing holds a candle anywhere close to the Master Quest. That thing is just insane.

Oh, pssssh.
Apart from a few WTF moments ("Larva! Larva! The sky rains hate!" "Jabu Jabu eats cows!" "The paintings, they liiive, they liiiiive!") Master Quest can be approached exactly the same as Ocarina of Time.
I dunno how it was possible, but I actually found the bosses easier in Master Quest. I mean, I defeated half of them without losing a heart, but if I load OOT I often take some damage.

Oh, I would also like to bring up the Creepy Mask Guy. I don't know about everybody else, but he freaked me the hell out when he started playing that Organ. :smalleek: Did he bother anybody else like that?

What about when he goes nuts when you come back with the Ocarina?
Silent Hill cannot hope to match that.

Personally, I loved Majora's Mask, and it's still my game of choice from Zelda.
Oh, I'd just warp over to Zora's Bay, pop on the mask and dive dive dive!
Or maybe pop on the Fierce Deity's Mask and say hello to Oswaldo.
Messing around with the Dogs in the races was awesome. Try putting on the Zora mask and gathering them all up, then switching to the Deku mask or Goron mask.
Ahhh... I agree with you 100% man. It set a high standard that hasn't been matched.

Hermit
2007-06-29, 04:56 AM
Yeah, the original reason he leaves Hyrule is to find Navi.

I really got into MM as far as I played, but I had a powercut and lost a fair chunk of progress, and now every time I load it up I can't seem to do that blasted stealth bit again to get access to the water dungeon. One of these days I'll start it again and beat it though.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-06-29, 05:39 AM
You can call me crazy, but for some reason...I loved Zelda II...probably because I didn't play much of the others, but from hat I did play...I loved the 2nd one to death...so damn good...and hard...

Drascin
2007-06-29, 05:42 AM

I dunno. I rememeber actually finding the water temple a lot easier and more straightforward than in OoT, for example. I really didn't have as much of a problem with MQ... :smallconfused:

PlatinumJester
2007-06-29, 05:56 AM
Majora's Mask has a much cooler concept (evil mask, moon, end of world etc) but the whole 3 days thing ruined it in my opinion. It just got way too annoying.

Wojiz
2007-06-29, 08:00 AM
The 'friend' that Link goes looking for is Navi. She's the only one that is bt his side throughout the entire adventure, and suddenly she leaves him at the end of his journey because Link no longer needs her; at the closing cinematic of OOT, she flies away. And when it says that Link was going to find a friend, you hear a sound like a fairy, too. Plus, going into the Lost Woods would be the place to go if you wnated to find a fairy.

Majora's Mask has a much cooler concept (evil mask, moon, end of world etc) but the whole 3 days thing ruined it in my opinion. It just got way too annoying.

Why's that? You can turn back time and if you're smart you won't lose anything important except dungeon progress (and if you got the dungeon item you can skip a lot of the dungeon), and with slowing down time and turning back time, you can start a dungeon at the beginning of a the first day with time slowed down, and you'd have to be a total beginner to not be able to finish it.

Inigo_Carmine
2007-06-29, 08:08 AM
MM had a much smaller Main Story line, but instead had loads of sidequests and other things going on. I thought it was neat for a single Zelda game, but I wasn't overly enthusiastic about it.

What really killed Majora's Mask for me thought was the time limit. It's not just a detail, but the foundation of the whole game, and I [b]hated[/u] it! It seemed entirely contrary to the spirit of a Zelda game (especially in 3d) which is the awe of exploration.

Instead of enjoying your surroundings, you have to blow by them and through them to complete something (especially the dungeons) before time runs out. After a while, i really got to detesting certain areas of the game due to how much they slowed me down. It's like backtracking x10, and it only served to make me hate and loath this particular entry to the Zelda series.

Wojiz
2007-06-29, 08:22 AM
But, like I've said, the song that slows down time, which you can learn very quickly, gives you more time than you could possibly need. Plus, you can turn back time whenever you want and if you have the common sense to deposit your rupees beforehand, you don't lose anything at all except dungeon or quest progress, and you can always start a dungeon or quest on the first day. It's all about managing your time, and the ability to slow it down and turn back time makes it less frustrating than you'd think.

Autonomous
2007-06-29, 08:34 AM
The villain was a refreshing change from the predictable Ganondorf, it offered a moral quandary (however slight) to the antagonist that made you actually feel slightly sorry for him by the end
I personally felt that Ganondorf's "Paradise Lost" speech did the same for him at the end of Wind Waker, although I'll admit that character development should be intertwined with the narrative, not dumped in the finale.

On top of that, the final (Gerudo Swordfighting Ganon) boss fight is awesome in ways that tower above pretty much every other 3D Zelda boss fight ever...

But apart from, I wholely agree. Majora's Mask was the dog's bollocks.

Alex Kidd
2007-06-29, 08:56 AM
*looks at avatar* I think my opinions on this matter are quite obvious. It is was more fun, smart and dark than any other Zelda. Majora is a truly awesome villain. The world was big and immersive in ways that other Zelda simply aren't. Most do epic well, this one felt alive thanks to all the personality the NPCs were given. It was nearly as hard as MQ.

So yeah definitely best 3d Zelda. Can't decide between it and ALttP though.

Demon Messiah
2007-06-29, 11:09 AM
I enjoyed the massive amounts of sidequesting you could do in it. The difficulty factor is what makes it more appealing to replay than OoT though.

I agree on Master Quest. It's not really harder, it's just that it takes everything you know about Zelda and scrambles it untill your brain has no clue what's going on anymore.

"Ah, Jabu-Jabu's Belly... the comfortable familiarity of THIS dungeon will surely do my heart good- ....is....is that a cow in the wall?!"

Counterpower
2007-06-29, 11:14 AM
Sorry, but I'm a Twilight Princess fanatic. The dungeons in TP are no less creative than the ones in MM, and there are twice as many in TP. I had some serious problems with MM's 3rd dungeon, but then again I also had problems with TP's 7th. The wolf form was simply awesome; although I wish they had done more with it, what they did create was still loads of fun. I didn't find the time restrictions all that annoying, but I think it probably did have the effect of making me feel a little rushed, especially when the final 6 hours started. Ticking clocks tend to make me a little antsy, regardless of how much time is actually left on the clock. And TP had the highly enjoyable Wii controls to work with, and the "best character ever" award in my mind will always go to Midna. TP comes closer than any other game I've played to bringing me to tears, after I finished the 3rd dungeon. I'll admit that MM had loads of cool sidequests to do, but the main quest was much shorter as a result.

Penguinsushi
2007-06-29, 11:28 AM
I've yet to play Twilight Princess, but the ArchivesNinja tells me its very good.

I very much enjoyed both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask - both very well made, very fun and very long games.

One thing about Majora's Mask that was a little interesting to me: typically I *hate* doing the same thing more than once, but it didn't really bother me in this game. I'm not sure why.

I also enjoyed Windwaker, but I couldn't get into it as much... ...though that may be because I played it in 30 minute spurts.

~PS

2007-06-29, 11:36 AM

I like Ganondorf...

Wojiz
2007-06-29, 11:39 AM

I like Ganondorf...

That's because you're ugly.

Seriously, though, I like Ganondorf too, and I was hoping that Ganondorf would be the main villain of Twilight Princess through the first half of the game. But it's a refreshing change to have a Zelda game that departs from the Ganondorf fashion.

Jimp
2007-06-29, 12:26 PM
I absolutely LOVED Majora's Mask. It has to be my favourite 3D Zelda so far, though I don't have Twilight Princess yet.
What really made it for me was the constant atmosphere of impending doom. The first day, people are worried but not too bad. Second day, things were a bit quieter. Last day, *sings*"This is the end, my only friend the end".
The final cut scene at the end of the last day if you DON'T have the dungeons beat was awesome too.
Also, didn't everyone love the wedding side quest? :smallsmile: And the strange talking hand in the inn.

Jibar
2007-06-29, 12:33 PM
Interesting fact: The Minish Cap and Majora's Mask are the only Zelda games where Ganon does not appear in some form.
Even in Link's Awakening you fight a shadow of him.

Drascin
2007-06-29, 12:35 PM
I personally felt that Ganondorf's "Paradise Lost" speech did the same for him at the end of Wind Waker, although I'll admit that character development should be intertwined with the narrative, not dumped in the finale.

On top of that, the final (Gerudo Swordfighting Ganon) boss fight is awesome in ways that tower above pretty much every other 3D Zelda boss fight ever...

But apart from, I wholely agree. Majora's Mask was the dog's bollocks.

Yup, same here. WW Ganon > any other Ganon ever. I was amazed at him - usually Ganon's attacks in every game are slow and fully brawn-based... and instead we got an acrobatic Gerudo fighter. Plus the whole "world crumbling around you" stuff makes it extremely epic.

Seriously, though, I like Ganondorf too, and I was hoping that Ganondorf would be the main villain of Twilight Princess through the first half of the game. But it's a refreshing change to have a Zelda game that departs from the Ganondorf fashion.

Yeah. I myself kept praying that Ganon didn't appear in TP. Zant would suffice as an antagonist, and instead ge got an appearance by Ganon that felt absolutely tacked-on. Really, as MM showed, we can have a Zelda game without Ganon and Zelda. Zant and Midna would have been more than enough ¬¬.

Wojiz
2007-06-29, 12:38 PM
Interesting fact: The Minish Cap and Majora's Mask are the only Zelda games where Ganon does not appear in some form.
Even in Link's Awakening you fight a shadow of him.

Really? What about Oracle of Seasons and Ages? I don't remember him being in them... Though I could be wrong.

Jibar
2007-06-29, 12:39 PM
Really? What about Oracle of Seasons and Ages? I don't remember him being in them... Though I could be wrong.

The two link up remember? If you completed both and then put them together, you'd get a final boss battle with a mindless Ganon, brought back from the dead.

Wojiz
2007-06-29, 12:55 PM
Oh, I remember... Wow, that makes me want to go back and play Seasons and Ages again.

Erom
2007-06-29, 01:11 PM
Haha, wow, I'm surprised this has so much support. Among my friends back home, this was known as "Majora's Stupid" and "The Worst Zelda Game Ever". I actually have 3 copies of the cartridge because 2 of my friends were throwing them out.

Now, I don't think it was the worst, but I do think the mechanics were creative but poorly implemented, for the most part. Everything in the game was "neat" but "annoying". Running back and forth to the stupid bank, and re-filling things like bombs and arrows just gave me a headache. I actually found the plot and characters to be well-written but poorly conceived. The plot line was too silly for my tastes. To each his own, I guess, but I really objected to putting an exploration/adventure genre game on an timer, even a generous one.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-06-29, 01:34 PM
I really liked the ending to TP better then any other game I've seen. Most games (even OoT) have the BBEG go from human to monster. In TP, it started as a beast-against-beast fight, and ended in a swordfight. I just think there's something epic about a good duel that nothing can beat. There's no sorcery, no turning-into-giant-monster-and-rampaging-through-the-ruins, just two guys with swords. Sweetness.

The biggest problem to me with WW was the graphics- I liked the bright, clear imagery, but the cartoon-ness got annoying and I find the idea of a tiny midget hero annoying as well.

SKarious
2007-06-29, 02:15 PM
I can't decide:
On the one hand: fantastic storyline & sidequests, heartwrenching moments, original mechanics and powers and unique bosses (giant mecha bull FTW), plus the creepiest final boss in a Zelda.

On the other hand: Tingle.

Demon Messiah
2007-06-29, 02:15 PM
The final battle in TP started epic and then got slightly repetitive. Plus, I was pretty mad when Midna just smashes the mirror of twilight for no apparent reason. Sources say you could hear my agonized screams up to three miles away when she dissapeared forever.
I don't think it will ever get more epic than fighting the unholy abomination Ganon became at the end of OoT...I mean, c'mon, you're fighting in a storm, surrounded by fire, (which is surrounded by lava) in the ruins of a dark castle. Plus you lose your sword for a little while. Although it was pretty awesome when Midna turns giant ecto-crab-thing and then Ganondorf shows up again and is like "Oh hey, I killed your friend. Here's her helmet. Did I mention I'm all-powerful?" Majora's Wrath never had any cool moments like that...

On another note, I'm about to go on a long car trip. Should I get Minish Cap or Super Mario 64 DS? I've beaten Mario 64 before. Thoughts?

Erom
2007-06-29, 03:10 PM
GET MINISH CAP... Minish Cap is _AWESOME_. Then again, it's a very traditional zelda game (find dungeon 1 -> run dungeon 1 -> find dungeon 2 -> run dungeon 2 -> ect.) but I liked it because of that. Also, the ability to save "on the fly" anywhere in the game was super helpful. I wish more zelda games had that feature.

Jothki
2007-06-29, 03:41 PM
I really liked the ending to TP better then any other game I've seen. Most games (even OoT) have the BBEG go from human to monster. In TP, it started as a beast-against-beast fight, and ended in a swordfight. I just think there's something epic about a good duel that nothing can beat. There's no sorcery, no turning-into-giant-monster-and-rampaging-through-the-ruins, just two guys with swords. Sweetness.

Kingdom Hearts II did that kind of thing as well. Actually, that's the only other game I can think of like that.

Sereneprophet
2007-06-29, 03:55 PM
I have a friend here who agrees that MM is the best Zelda he has ever played.

Me? I don't really get into Zelda, I know, i'm some sort of monster beast child of Satan, but they just don't get my interest, that and I usually don't own a Nintendo console.

I did like the looks of the newest one for Wii and GC though. Definitely cool looking. Gameplay wise though, I don't have a clue hehe ><

SITB
2007-06-29, 07:09 PM
9) The boss battles are epic. There's really no other way to put it. Every single boss was difficult to some extent, and they were all enormous. The swamp temple boss was fun and he was a pretty cool boss to fight, too. The snow temple boss, that giant bull, is probably the most unique Zelda boss to date, and fun to boot. The third one was difficult, which is a nice change, and the last one, where you ran around as a giant, was just as fun as the first. Not only that, none of them were really that easy; the only one that was easy for anyone to beat is the 2nd, and even an average gamer can have difficulty with the 3rd, the boss of the water temple.

Wait what? the bosses in MM were pathetic they don't hold a candle even to Queen Gohma. They have about the same challenge rating as fishing in OOT for god's sake!* To me they were the most disappointing thing in the game.

*Except that ice dog boss, but only because you defeated him as Wild Goron Racer.

Wojiz
2007-06-29, 08:53 PM
Queen Gohma is the most ridiculously easy boss ever, and the rest of the boss follow suit. All you have to do is use the dungeon item and have an IQ of at least 50, and it's an absolute breeze.

To beat Gohma, use a nut, hit her in the eye with a slingshot. Watch as she climbs up the wall, shoot her down, do it again. And do it again. And you're done.

Odolwa, on the other hand, was a baaaad dude.

Destro_Yersul
2007-06-29, 09:36 PM
Odalwa is so damn annoying. Stupid flocks of evil moths... Really fun boss, but so evil.

Goht is a lot of fun. Most fun I've ever had fighting a boss.

Fishy: Evil evil evil. Especially if you've been using the bow to stun him. *Ram* *BLOOSH* *chomp*

Twinmold: Tough as all hell without the giants mask. Even then, if you run out of magic... Chateau Romani makes it a lot easier.

Final boss, all three forms: Actually really hard, especially without Fierce Deity.

An interesting fact is that Fierce Deity only makes the final boss and two other bosses easier: Odalwa and Fishy.

Shadic
2007-06-29, 10:48 PM

Uh... Try Zelda II. That is by far, the most difficult Zelda. The only one that comes close to Zelda II is Link's Awakening. And they are both top-tier Zelda titles.

Majora's Mask is good, it just didn't have the same holding power as Ocarina of Time. I got all of the masks, too..

BanjoTheClown
2007-06-30, 01:46 AM
I Losy my Minish Cap..:smallfrown: oh yeah, Majoras Mask is the best zelda game ever. The SkullKid is Cool.

Jibar
2007-06-30, 02:00 AM
Fishy: Evil evil evil. Especially if you've been using the bow to stun him. *Ram* *BLOOSH* *chomp*

Have you ever tried this:
Sit in the middle of the structure, in Zora Mode, and everytime the Gyorg jumps over you, hit the electricity.
I believe that's how we defeated him without going into the water.

Aww man. I wish wasn't going on holiday now so I could fire up the N64.

Reinboom
2007-06-30, 02:33 AM
I will have to agree in many parts to the love of Majora's Mask. I adore it in concept, in thought, and in mood. It provided common disputes, and even more personal dilemmas for the characters native to Ikana. Its tone was amazing all around, and it provided a strange taste of something that the zelda series never offered before, for example, wearing upon one's face the healed manifestation of fallen creatures with unfinished business.
Also, has anybody put much thought into the deku mask? There's the deku shrub tree, a very sad one, right in the beginning of the game. Right after you are cursed. Is this not unsettling? To think of what occured. Why was this deku shrub so far away from his home (his family is in the swamp, the butler)? And how did this deku shrub die?

For difficulty reasons, I wouldn't consider this the most difficult Zelda game I have played. However, difficulty is relative to ones understandings of games, reasoning perception with games, and when they played them. If you played any other zelda game, any other other zelda game will surely be less difficult (barring Zelda II). Especially those of similar engines. Majora's Mask difficulty, I believe, lies in that it was different from the usual.

Currently, in manners of difficulties of if I picked up each Zelda game and played through it randomly right now in no particular order, I would always give Zelda 2 the title of being the most difficult (but in no way the most fun or interesting). I would give Zelda 3 the title for the most fun (I love mid-length quick things. Zelda 3 on "collect everything"/"1 game played" is a 3 1/2 hour game). For most interesting and game I can get lost in the longest, I would hand it, by far, to Majora's Mask.

To the comment of Link's Awakening being the most difficult: I would have to disagree highly. LA was the first Zelda game I had completed, and I would also say, most likely the easiest. Besides a bit of confusion for awhile about how to get Marin to sing for the walrus, the game felt too... direct and simple to me.

SITB
2007-06-30, 05:26 AM
Queen Gohma is the most ridiculously easy boss ever, and the rest of the boss follow suit. All you have to do is use the dungeon item and have an IQ of at least 50, and it's an absolute breeze.

To beat Gohma, use a nut, hit her in the eye with a slingshot. Watch as she climbs up the wall, shoot her down, do it again. And do it again. And you're done.

Odolwa, on the other hand, was a baaaad dude.

Which was my point to empathize how easy those bosses were.

Odalwa is so damn annoying. Stupid flocks of evil moths... Really fun boss, but so evil.

I never knew how to defeat him, I hust threw bombs at him 'till he died which I would call anticlimactic.

Goht is a lot of fun.

Agreed.

I used the Hookshot and he was easy, arrows? They move at the speed of light, they make the fight way easier.

Twinmold: Tough as all hell without the giants mask. Even then, if you run out of magic... Chateau Romani makes it a lot easier.

Don't you have to use the Giant Mask? Otherwise, they are slow and don't do much damage.

Final boss, all three forms: Actually really hard, especially without Fierce Deity.

HE DANCES TO ATTACK YOU! JESUS WHAT DID THE DESIGNERS SMOKE FOR GOD'S SAKE! And uh... he is pathetic. His damage is negligible and you can just rush and hit him with your pointy bit of metal 'till he drops dead and still receive almost no damage.

Erom
2007-06-30, 08:58 PM
I've never really figured out Odalwa's attack pattern, I've played through him 3 times and every time time he died before I even figured out what was going on.

Autonomous
2007-06-30, 09:34 PM

Odolwa, on the other hand, was a baaaad dude.I remember taking out Gohma with a single nut once. A feat I have tried desperately (and failed miserably) to repeat. :smallfrown:

Big Bug Basher
2007-07-07, 05:18 PM
Two words: Wind Wacker
or maybe Ocarina of Time