PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Can't Talk and Players Want to Play

Ninjattack
2016-06-13, 03:01 PM
I've recently come down with a case of Laryngitis (my voice box is swollen) so I can't talk for longer than a few seconds before sounding like a velociraptor. While fully aware of this and attempting to be sympathetic, my players really want me to run our campaign on Wednesday regardless.

They've offered up several solutions, such as me letting one of them take over as game master temporarily or writing out all of my scripts ahead of time for them. The problems are immediately obvious though, as I've seen about half of them train wreck in attempts to run a campaign and I can't possibly write out all of the scenarios perfectly ahead of time because the party is too random to accurately predict.

I'm not exactly sure what to do and they're all really excited to play so I feel bad telling them that we'll have to skip this week. :smallfrown:

So, anybody have any suggestions on how to run a speechless session if at all?

Chronikoce
2016-06-13, 03:08 PM
I suppose one option if you can type fairly fast would be to use one of those text to speech programs on a laptop and type out responses.

Gildedragon
2016-06-13, 03:11 PM
Play by post is one
Another is to let them take over in some way: let it ride, speak authoritatively let the PCs dictate some of the goings-on
Letting them roll everything is also good

Zanos
2016-06-13, 03:12 PM
Don't run. You're sick, and a week break won't kill anyone.

Ghost Nappa
2016-06-13, 03:14 PM
Either use Text-to-Speech or don't run at all.

Better to make it up to them next week than to try and crash and burn this week.

Palanan
2016-06-13, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Zanos

Zanos just beat me to it.

If you try to run a game this week, likely one of two things will happen: either you'll run out of energy halfway through, closing down early with disappointment all around; or you'll burn through too much energy and end up making yourself that much sicker. Or quite possibly both.

Earlier this year, while recovering from an upper-respiratory infection, I tried to help moving a local nonprofit to a new location. I ended up contributing very little, feeling intensely wretched, and plunging into a relapse which lasted another two long, utterly miserable weeks.

So, much better to take this week off and let your body heal. It's great that your players are so motivated, but your health needs to come first.

Know(Nothing)
2016-06-13, 03:17 PM
Are they decent roleplayers? A beach episode (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BeachEpisode) might work. Give them some down-time and a chance to RP amongst themselves. Very little intervention on your part. If they aren't in town, maybe fast-forward a bit to when they get there.

If they aren't terribly self-starting, maybe introduce some small side-quests that they can attempt while in town. Quests that are simple but may conflict with the wishes, alignments, philosophies, or attitudes of other party members will generate more RP opportunities. Quests given by a character's god or church are good, as are ones given by a faction or guild that only one or two party members belong to. Have locations and NPCs written out on cards ahead of time, so they can read them instead of you saying them. Also have your players ask only Yes or No questions to save your voice. A bit of combat would go far too, as it doesn't require quite as much talking on your part.

It won't be the most thorough session ever, but it will at least get them by until you're feeling better.

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-13, 03:20 PM

Either use Text-to-Speech or don't run at all.

Better to make it up to them next week than to try and crash and burn this week.

...If my friends response to 'I am sick and cannot run this game' is 'run it anyway' I would throw books at them. Make sure they are aware of how sick you are, because you seem like some good ol' rest might do you some good.

Or have them run their own one-shot without you present.

Ninjattack
2016-06-13, 03:22 PM
I've considered using Text-to-Speech but I'm not really fond of any of the voices and I'm too slow with my typing to be effective. Also the players are in the process of escaping a Colosseum style arena so I can't just derail them.

I guess I'll just have to tell them I won't be able to run, though I think one of them will have a meltdown if I said that. It seems to be the only option though to be honest.

Red Fel
2016-06-13, 03:23 PM

I lean towards this. Offer an alternative, like board games or card games, that lets everyone get together for social fun without requiring you to speak. A break isn't just good for your voice; it's healthy for a DM to periodically take some time off, recover the enthusiasm. Clearly, your players are eager for the game, and that's great; there's not a lot of harm in letting that enthusiasm build for another week.

If you were meeting on a monthly basis, or less frequently, this might be different - I said might, mind you, because health matters - but if this is a weekly event, there's little harm in waiting.

https://media.giphy.com/media/9poL1pf3IbCO4/giphy.gif

Troacctid
2016-06-13, 03:29 PM
I've run live games without speaking. It was a roll20 game and my mic wasn't working. I just typed in the text chat. It worked okay, although it was a little slower. So it can be done.

If you're just not feeling up to it, consider letting one of the players DM a side adventure that provides XP, but doesn't affect the main plot. It could be set in the past, for example, or in a dream. I have used the latter tactic before when one of my players was interested in being a guest DM—I had him run a short one-shot adventure that turned out to be a hallucination induced by swamp gas. (The players were exploring a swamp at the time, so it made sense in context.)

Know(Nothing)
2016-06-13, 03:29 PM
Yeah, if there isn't a viable way to have them do all the talking, then just rest up. Maybe do some extra crunching for a longer session next time. Explain that a session run by a sick DM is worse than no session, and prolongs the sickness. If they still whine, remind them that they're free to find another campaign to play in if your illness is such an inconvenience for them.

Ninjattack
2016-06-13, 03:31 PM
My problem at this point seems to be more of how to tell the one person in my group that doesn't like to listen to me that we won't be able to play. Any suggestions on this front?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-13, 03:33 PM
My problem at this point seems to be more of how to tell the one person in my group that doesn't like to listen to me that we won't be able to play. Any suggestions on this front?Tell one person (not that person) and task that one person to tell the other persons.

Ninjattack
2016-06-13, 03:33 PM
a side adventure that provides XP, but doesn't affect the main plot. It could be set in the past, for example, or in a dream.

I've actually used that dream idea before, the players seemed to enjoy it.

Ninjattack
2016-06-13, 03:34 PM
MaxiDuRaritry that seems like a good idea. I think I'll try that.

Know(Nothing)
2016-06-13, 03:38 PM
If one of your players doesn't listen to you, the person running the game, then there's a good chance they shouldn't be a player at all. Especially if your health is of no concern to them.

Make them listen. You are the DM. If they can't accept your schedule for when sessions happen, too bad. Even if you weren't sick, a session only happens when you decide it does. I really can't think of anything to say to someone that wouldn't accept a DM's lack of ability to speak as a reasonable excuse to delay a session. You do not need to tolerate someone like that in your campaign, or really, in your life.

Ninjattack
2016-06-13, 03:46 PM
Alright Know(Nothing), I'll try.

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-13, 03:57 PM
If one of your players doesn't listen to you, the person running the game, then there's a good chance they shouldn't be a player at all. Especially if your health is of no concern to them.

Make them listen. You are the DM. If they can't accept your schedule for when sessions happen, too bad. Even if you weren't sick, a session only happens when you decide it does. I really can't think of anything to say to someone that wouldn't accept a DM's lack of ability to speak as a reasonable excuse to delay a session. You do not need to tolerate someone like that in your campaign, or really, in your life.

I might be late, but I have to second this. If they can't handle this at the expense of your health, they need to go.

Psyren
2016-06-13, 04:30 PM
My problem at this point seems to be more of how to tell the one person in my group that doesn't like to listen to me that we won't be able to play. Any suggestions on this front?

Tell him to grow up. You can literally do further damage to your body/voice by exerting yourself when in need of healing time; at best you'll prolong your recovery period if you spend a whole evening talking.

Sorry to be blunt but really, "I'm not feeling well" should be enough reason for any group of friends. You shouldn't even have to elaborate on your exact illness, though it sounds like it would be pretty apparent from your voice in a short time anyway. This is a social game and as such demands at least a little maturity from your players. (Not a whole lot admittedly, but some.)

Caedes
2016-06-13, 04:32 PM
My group depends on the weekly social gathering for many reasons. To blow off steam, They Love RPing etc. etc.

So we have set it up to when the DM cannot play because they are sick. The rest meet up at a nearby bar/restaurant and play a boardgame or do a one shot of their own.

You are sick. You are allowed to rest. And if your players cannot fend for themselves for a week. Well... Let the Grue have them.

Ninjattack
2016-06-13, 05:35 PM
I ended up having one of my party members talk to the one who tends to be alittle more problematic at times and she's apologied for how she was acting. Thanks for the support, I'm going to rest up instead of running the campaign this week.

J-H
2016-06-13, 06:21 PM
Settlers of Catan

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-13, 06:39 PM
Settlers of CatanOr put a fiendish spin on it and play Cattlers of Satan.

Psyren
2016-06-13, 06:43 PM
You have to talk in those too, unless you don't plan on trading for anything :smalltongue:

Elricaltovilla
2016-06-13, 06:47 PM
Good for you, rest up, get well, drink plenty of fluids.:smallbiggrin:

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-13, 06:56 PM
You have to talk in those too, unless you don't plan on trading for anything :smalltongue:Even souls?

killem2
2016-06-13, 09:33 PM
Your players are being inconsiderate. This session needs to be canceled.

Spore
2016-06-13, 10:40 PM
Your players are being inconsiderate. This session needs to be canceled.

If I had insisted in the DM's wife playing while suffering from the flu or our DM to run the game regardless of his back pain, there would have been MAJOR backlash. Mainly because my fellow players would not be this inconsiderate, and even the players most desparate for some gaming action would understand.

I second the unrelated social gathering. Maybe use the lack of gaming to provoke that one gamer a bit. If he can't handle not playing for a week, his self control is lacking anyhow.

Garktz
2016-06-14, 12:45 AM
Make them fall into slime lair/dungeon

All you have to do is "bloop"
as for the descriptions for the rooms, look for random pictures of dungeons and show them those pictures, ask them to describe what they see.
Final boss, green ghost, with 2 green slimes, to see if they get the reference

Crake
2016-06-14, 01:01 AM
You have to talk in those too, unless you don't plan on trading for anything :smalltongue:

to be fair, i'm sure sufficient pointing at resources, players and liberal use of holding up fingers can convey your intentions, might be a little slow, but hey, it'd work.

Zanos
2016-06-14, 01:30 AM
to be fair, i'm sure sufficient pointing at resources, players and liberal use of holding up fingers can convey your intentions, might be a little slow, but hey, it'd work.
The only finger I use regularly in Catan is the middle one.

Sliver
2016-06-14, 08:00 AM
I've recently come down with a case of Laryngitis (my voice box is swollen) so I can't talk for longer than a few seconds before sounding like a velociraptor.

Are you saying velociraptors can't DM?!

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/archer/images/0/0f/Archersaurus.png/revision/latest?cb=20110418015457

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-14, 08:07 AM
Are you saying velociraptors can't DM?!

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/archer/images/0/0f/Archersaurus.png/revision/latest?cb=20110418015457Actual velociraptors were about the size of chickens, so probably not.

Sliver
2016-06-14, 08:13 AM
Size doesn't matter...

And what do you mean by "were"? :smallconfused: Are they bigger now? So it's not actually a problem, is it?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-14, 08:20 AM
Size doesn't matter...It's just so hard for them to carry around all the minis and the books with those tiny forelimbs.

And what do you mean by "were"? :smallconfused: Are they bigger now? So it's not actually a problem, is it?Unfortunately, they slipped into obscurity after a certain run-in with Mecha-Archersaurus.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5cuzj7i1Whs/maxresdefault.jpg

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-06-14, 11:15 AM
And the players' gonna play play play play play
And the haters' gonna hate hate hate hate hate
You know I just wanna say say say say say say
Say nothing, say nothing

I am still limited to one musical interlude per session.

Telonius
2016-06-14, 12:17 PM
I'd suggest running two games at once: Charades and/or Pictionary, and D&D. Whoever guesses what's attacking them gets an extra XP. :smallbiggrin: