PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Feat: Net Fighter

Goober4473
2016-06-13, 05:52 PM
Another weapon mastery feat I'm working on. It allows you to dual-wield with a net, so it functions similarly to Shield Mastery, but can be a fair bit stronger, since it takes an action or an attack to remove the net.

Net Fighter
You have learned to fight with flashy weapons to entertain spectators.

You can treat tridents and nets as light weapons, so long as you wield only one up to one trident, one net, and no other weapons besides daggers. [Edit]: Change to: If you take the Attack action during your turn, you can use a bonus action to make an attack with a net. You cannot use this bonus action and make an attack with a weapon other than a net, trident, or dagger during the same turn.
You do not suffer disadvantage for making a ranged attack with a net if you are in melee, or due to long range.
When you have advantage on an attack with a trident or dagger, and the lower of the rolls would hit the target’s Armor Class, you can also force the creature to drop a weapon or other object it is holding. If you choose a shield, the shield is not dropped, but instead attacks against the target have +2 until the start of the target’s next turn.

Thoughts?

Draken
2016-06-13, 08:36 PM
First point could very easily be shortened to "When you make an Attack Action with a one-handed melee weapon on your turn, you can make an attack with a Net as a bonus action".

Nets don't do damage, there is no need to try to make it dual-wield-friendly and convolute the wording in the process.

Formless Entity
2016-06-13, 09:04 PM
Another weapon mastery feat I'm working on. It allows you to dual-wield with a net, so it functions similarly to Shield Mastery, but can be a fair bit stronger, since it takes an action or an attack to remove the net.

Net Fighter
You have learned to fight with flashy weapons to entertain spectators.

You can treat tridents and nets as light weapons, so long as you wield only one up to one trident, one net, and no other weapons besides daggers.
You do not suffer disadvantage for making a ranged attack with a net if you are in melee, or due to long range.
When you have advantage on an attack with a trident or dagger, and the lower of the rolls would hit the target’s Armor Class, you can also force the creature to drop a weapon or other object it is holding. If you choose a shield, the shield is not dropped, but instead attacks against the target have +2 until the start of the target’s next turn.

Thoughts?

Why restrict it to tridents and daggers?

Also why not make the net throw a bonus action?

Goober4473
2016-06-14, 12:24 AM
Why restrict it to tridents and daggers?

I'm basing it on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retiarius

Also why not make the net throw a bonus action?

It is, essentially. Though Draken is right about the wording. In fact, because nets are rangedm it wouldn't have worked as I had it written.

I've added an update to the OP.

Formless Entity
2016-06-14, 02:39 AM
I'm basing it on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retiarius

It is, essentially. Though Draken is right about the wording. In fact, because nets are rangedm it wouldn't have worked as I had it written.

I've added an update to the OP.

Why not spears for example?

Draken
2016-06-14, 12:44 PM
I think limiting the weapons in that fashion is somewhat meaningless. Given you are not also enforcing a light armor or no armor limit.

An important thing to note about the retiarius gladiator is that as an archetype, it was meant for entertaintment (with more maiming and death, but entertainment nonetheless). Given any choice I imagine that the gladiator would not go in half-naked to boot.

Goober4473
2016-06-14, 01:14 PM
I think limiting the weapons in that fashion is somewhat meaningless. Given you are not also enforcing a light armor or no armor limit.

Although the feat is called Net Fighter, I do want it to encourage the net + trident combo, since the trident really needs some love.