PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Gish help

Blackhawk748
2016-06-13, 07:02 PM
I will eventually be playing in a campaign where all of the players are lords of a region. To change things up i thought id go for a Mounted Gish as i've never done that before. Before i list the build here are the books i have to work with:

Core+ PHB 2 + Psionics
The Completes

Also my DM has let me take Wild Cohort cuz im gonna need a decent mount.

Human Fighter 2/ Sorcerer 4/Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champ 5/ Something Decent 9

Feats (1 Flaw)
1. Mounted Combat, Ride by Attack, Spirited Charge. Flaw: Combat Casting
2. Power Attack
3. Wild Cohort (Probably a Dire Wolf at level 7)
6. Natural Bond
9. Arcane Strike
12.???
15.????
18.????

As you can see, i have no real idea what im gonna do past level 6 for feats and level 11 for Classes. Any help is appreciated.

Rebel7284
2016-06-13, 09:49 PM
I think the typical approach is Paladin 2/Sorcerer 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Sacred Exorcist 8 for 16 BAB and 9th level spells with the ability to use Turn Undead to power divine feats.

Make sure your mount gets flight as soon as possible.

Also there is an item, Battle Briddle or some such that gives you some mounted feats for free. Don't remember the source.

Versatile Spellcaster is a great feat, but not on the allowed source list.

Blackhawk748
2016-06-14, 05:19 AM
I think the typical approach is Paladin 2/Sorcerer 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Sacred Exorcist 8 for 16 BAB and 9th level spells with the ability to use Turn Undead to power divine feats.

Make sure your mount gets flight as soon as possible.

Also there is an item, Battle Briddle or some such that gives you some mounted feats for free. Don't remember the source.

Versatile Spellcaster is a great feat, but not on the allowed source list.

I know thats typical but i dont wanna be a Paladin for this character, though i did forget Spellsword, so that does help. I updated the build in the OP

Formless Entity
2016-06-14, 05:22 AM
I will eventually be playing in a campaign where all of the players are lords of a region. To change things up i thought id go for a Mounted Gish as i've never done that before. Before i list the build here are the books i have to work with:

Core+ PHB 2 + Psionics
The Completes

Feats (1 Flaw)
2. Power Attack
6. Natural Bond
9.????
12.???
15.????
18.????

As you can see, i have no real idea what im gonna do past level 6 for feats and level 11 for Classes. Any help is appreciated.

Take a look at Arcane Strike.

( Complete Warrior, p. 96)

It is what I like to do with my gishs a lot.

Blackhawk748
2016-06-14, 05:24 AM
Take a look at Arcane Strike.

( Complete Warrior, p. 96)

It is what I like to do with my gishs a lot.

Thank you, i knew i was forgetting something.

Formless Entity
2016-06-14, 05:25 AM
Thank you, i knew i was forgetting something.

Your welcome.

Formless Entity
2016-06-14, 05:27 AM

Core+ PHB 2 + Psionics
The Completes

Feats (1 Flaw)
2. Power Attack
6. Natural Bond
9. Arcane Strike
12.???
15.????
18.????

Have you considered the Duskblade class from Player's Handbok 2?

Darrin
2016-06-14, 08:19 AM
Feats (1 Flaw)
2. Power Attack
6. Natural Bond
9. Arcane Strike
12.???
15.????
18.????

Reserve feat should be good in the later levels. Minor Shapeshift is very good for a gish, although it can eat into your swift actions. After that... maybe Sudden Extend/Maximize, or some Devotion feats. Knowledge Devotion is good for a gish, although it sucks up all your skill points. Maybe Law or Animal Devotion after that.

Is Silverwood Arcanist available? You might want at least one level of that, as you don't get "Fast Handling" (direct your wild cohort as a free action) without it. You don't lose caster levels, although the poor BAB kinda stinks. You could also just ask the DM to handwave the Fast Handling as part of the Wild Cohort feat.

Hmm. Not sure I can find anything in the Completes that's better than Sacred Exorcist. Maybe Unseen Seer? But you'd need to swap a Fighter level with a Ranger level to get all those skills in. Then you could grab Cloak Dance (XPH) for your move actions. Damage Bonus would probably get wasted, unless you pick up hunter's eye via Advanced Learning.

Troacctid
2016-06-14, 01:15 PM
This (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1geywITbI4M-Up08SGD-rUHlnobR66aIgKqu7mILkmhU) may help. It's a spreadsheet of all spellcasting prestige classes in 3.5. There is a filter to only show Core + Completes.

I'll second the suggestion of Minor Shapeshift. It's a very good feat.

Blackhawk748
2016-06-14, 04:24 PM
Reserve feat should be good in the later levels. Minor Shapeshift is very good for a gish, although it can eat into your swift actions. After that... maybe Sudden Extend/Maximize, or some Devotion feats. Knowledge Devotion is good for a gish, although it sucks up all your skill points. Maybe Law or Animal Devotion after that.

Is Silverwood Arcanist available? You might want at least one level of that, as you don't get "Fast Handling" (direct your wild cohort as a free action) without it. You don't lose caster levels, although the poor BAB kinda stinks. You could also just ask the DM to handwave the Fast Handling as part of the Wild Cohort feat.

Hmm. Not sure I can find anything in the Completes that's better than Sacred Exorcist. Maybe Unseen Seer? But you'd need to swap a Fighter level with a Ranger level to get all those skills in. Then you could grab Cloak Dance (XPH) for your move actions. Damage Bonus would probably get wasted, unless you pick up hunter's eye via Advanced Learning.

Minor Shapeshift is neat, and i had planned on grabbing Polymorph anyhow so that will work.

I dont know honestly, i could ask though. If it is ill nab a single level of that.

The problem with Sacred Exorcist is A) the Skills and B) this character is definitely not gonna be Good.

Formless Entity
2016-06-14, 06:33 PM
Minor Shapeshift is neat, and i had planned on grabbing Polymorph anyhow so that will work.

I dont know honestly, i could ask though. If it is ill nab a single level of that.

The problem with Sacred Exorcist is A) the Skills and B) this character is definitely not gonna be Good.

I still suggest Duskblade.

Sayt
2016-06-14, 06:50 PM
Sounds like you want the Knight Phantom PRC, from Five Nations.

Full bab, 9/10 casting, Light Armour casting, Phantom Steed 1/day (CL based on highest arcane C, plus KP, and being incredibly Spoopy (fear aura+blur for Rounds/level/day, ignore terrain for rounds/level/day, and Brilliant Energy on a weapon for rounds/level/day)

Blackhawk748
2016-06-14, 07:22 PM
I still suggest Duskblade.

I considered it, but im not going for pure damage, so i need my spells to do other stuff. Mostly i need AoEs because i will be in mass combat.

Formless Entity
2016-06-14, 07:33 PM
I considered it, but im not going for pure damage, so i need my spells to do other stuff. Mostly i need AoEs because i will be in mass combat.

Maybe Warmage then?

Darrin
2016-06-14, 07:54 PM
How about:

Fighter 1/Sorcerer 6/Eldritch Knight 1/Abjurant Champion 5/EldritchKnight +7

(You can throw Spellsword 1 or Silverwood Arcanist in there somewhere if you like).

Same feats as Fighter 2, but finishes with +17 BAB.

Blackhawk748
2016-06-14, 08:25 PM
How about:

Fighter 1/Sorcerer 6/Eldritch Knight 1/Abjurant Champion 5/EldritchKnight +7

(You can throw Spellsword 1 or Silverwood Arcanist in there somewhere if you like).

Same feats as Fighter 2, but finishes with +17 BAB.

Hmmm, ill probably just use Eldritch Knight later and take the CL hit. I know i wont get 9ths, but frankly i've never gotten 9ths so i dont see this as a problem, mostly cuz i doubt the game will go that long.