PDA

View Full Version : A Red & Pleasant Land?

alchemyprime
2016-06-13, 08:43 PM
I picked this thing up from Amazon on a whim after reading someone saying it was good, but I've never tried running it.

Anyone here have any experience with this one?

some guy
2016-06-14, 10:09 AM
My players are now 24 sessions into it. They haven't been to the two large dungeons, but have been traveling around a lot, meeting a lot of the few large npc's. The wonderland-weirdness shines through it quite nicely.

Some loose thoughts:

Don't forget that like 95% of the creatures is more interested in talking than in fighting. I have the vampires just assume the pc's are also vampires (because living humans are rare), unless the players do something very un-vampire like.

My players find the npc's interesting, want them dead, but also realize the npc's are quite powerful. Which creates interesting interactions.

It needs a bit more prep than I thought. The quick garden/forest and interior generators are good if you don't have a lot of time or to kickstart a description of a square, but you need to flesh it out yourself. (I've read that section just now again, and it tells this also)

The tables in general are good and very useful. The guest generator made very creepy interdimensional interlopers for me to use.

Sometimes, the sessions contain whimsy, sometimes horror and I like it doesn't feel off that these two can be in the same campaign.

It's very easy to look up things in the book, which is very important during play.

I'm very impressed with it and it just might be my favourite rpg-book. (I'm waiting on my copy of The Maze of the Blue Medusa, which might replace it)