PDA

View Full Version : Revised True Necromancer [PEACH]

ZeroNumerous
2007-06-28, 10:14 PM
I know Mystic Theurge/True Necromancer/Whatever-other-two-progression-class isn't great from an optimization standpoint. Infact, it's downright silly to take unless you just want to throw a bunch of spells at something until it dies.

Prereqs
Alignment: Any Evil.
Skills: Knowledge(Arcana or Religion): 8 Ranks
Feat: Spell Focus(Necromancy)
Spells: Able to cast Command Undead as an arcane spell or Summon Undead as a divine spell.
Special:
Arcane Casters must have the Stitched Flesh Familiar feat.
Divine Casters must have access to the Undeath Domain.

Hit Die: D6
Class Skills
The true necromancer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Knowledge(arcana) (Int), Knowledge(religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Spot (Wis), Search (Int) and Spellcraft (Int)
Skill Points: 2+INT

{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special | Spells Per Day
1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 2 | Rebuke Undead, Necromantic Prowess (+1) | +1 Level of Spellcasting Class
2 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 3 | Create Undead 1/day | +1 Level of Spellcasting Class
3 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 3 | Lesser Zone of Desecration | +1 Level of Spellcasting Class
4 | 2 | 1 | 1 | 4 | Create Undead 2/day, Necromantic Prowess (+2) | +1 Level of Spellcasting Class
5 | 2 | 1 | 1 | 4 | Zone of Desecration | +1 Level of Spellcasting Class
6 | 3 | 2 | 2 | 5 | Create Undead 3/day, Create Greater Undead 1/day | +1 Level of Spellcasting Class
7 | 3 | 2 | 2 | 5 | Necromantic Prowess (+3), Greater Zone of Desecration | +1 Level of Spellcasting Class
8 | 4 | 2 | 2 | 6 | Create Undead 4/day, Summon Undead V 1/day | +1 Level of Spellcasting Class
9 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 6 | Deathwatch, Create Greater Undead 2/day | +1 Level of Spellcasting Class
10 | 5 | 3 | 3 | 7 | Create Undead 5/day, The Walking Dead, Necromantic Prowess (+4) | +1 Level of Spellcasting Class[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A true necromancer gains Simple Weapon Proficiency if she does not already have it. If she does, then replace it with Martial Weapon Proficiency. A true necromancer gains no proficiency with armor or shields.

Spells Per Day/Known: A true necromancer gains new spells per day(and spells known if applicable) as if she had gained a level in the spellcasting class she belonged to before becoming a true necromancer. If she has more than one spellcasting class then the true necromancer makes a choice on which class the new levels to for the purposes of determining spells per day(and known if applicable).

Rebuke Undead(Su): A true necromancer may rebuke undead at a cleric level equal to her class levels. If a true necromancer has rebuke undead before entering this class, these levels stack with levels from any classes that grant the rebuke undead ability. The bonus from Necromantic Prowess applies to this ability.

Necromantic Prowess(Ex): Beginning at first level and every three levels thereafter a true necromancer gains a bonus to his caster level on any necromancy spell or a spell-like ability that mimics a necromancy spell. This bonus starts at +1 at first level and goes to a +2 at 4rd, +3 at 7th, and a +4 at 10th.

Create Undead(Sp): At second level, a true necromancer may cast once per day the spell Create Undead at a caster level equal to her character levels. Any bonus from the Necromantic Prowess ability applies. A true necromancer gains additional uses of this ability every two levels thereafter. She must still supply the requisite material components.

Lesser Zone of Desecration(Su): Beginning at third level, a true necromancer exudes an aura of desecration. This functions exactly like the Desecrate spell except for the following: The area of influence is only ten feet, centered on the true necromancer, and it only affects allied undead creatures.

Zone of Desecration(Su): At fifth level, a true necromancer's aura of desecration grows more powerful. This functions exactly like the Desecrate spell except the area of influence is only twenty feet, centered on the true necromancer.

Create Greater Undead(Sp): At sixth level, a true necromancer may cast the spell Create Greater Undead once a day at a caster level equal to her character level. Any bonus from Necromantic Prowess applies to this casting. A true necromancer gains an additional usage of this ability at ninth level. She must still supply the requisite material components.

Greater Zone of Desecration(Su): At seventh level, a true necromancer further extends his aura of desecration. This functions exactly like the Desecrate spell, except the area of influence is now 10 feet per class level.

Summon Undead V(Sp): At eighth level, a true necromancer is able to cast the spell Summon Undead V once per day at a caster level equal to her character level. She must still supply any requisite material components.

Deathwatch(Su): At ninth level, a true necromancer is so intuned with the look of death that she can see creatures when creatures are nearing death. A true necromancer is treated as if under the affect of the spell Deathwatch at all times. This ability can be suppressed as a free action.

The Walking Dead(Ex): At 10th level, a true necromancer gains untold prowess over the dead. He gains the feat Undead Leadership as a bonus feat. However, a true necromancer can choose to use his primary spellcasting stat in place of his Charisma when determining his leadership score.

Callix
2007-06-28, 10:27 PM
Are you trying to give them "Necromantic Prowess" or "Necromantic Pro-ness"? Either works, but decide, OK?

The Walking Dead is a cool capstone... does it stack/interact with Leadership as a normal feat? Also, giving variant Leaderships means DMs who don't like cohorts won't allow your class, but this is pretty minor. All in all, I like it.

Joltz
2007-06-28, 10:44 PM
It looks pretty nice to me. I don't quite understand a few things though.

:smallconfused: you went ninja and edited one of the things already, lol.

That just leaves a small problem I have with the lesser zone of desecration. When you say that it effects only allied undead, what does that mean? Desecrate (your post says Desecration btw) has four effects normally. Only two of the effects apply to the undead themselves (the attack, damage, and save bonues and the bonus hp for being created inside the area of the desecrate effect. Does this mean the aura doesn't give the -3 penalty to charisma checks to turn undead in the area or the effect that makes animate dead more effective? Also, I believe that an area is either desecrated, or it's not. Why would these bonuses apply only to allied undead?

Maerok
2007-06-28, 10:49 PM
Did you look over Undead Leadership when creating that capstone ability? It just seems worded a little awkwardly, or cumbersome to handle, can't really place it, but perhaps looking over UL would help straighten things out? Just something like "Use your spellcasting attribute instead of Charisma when determining your Leadership score." Undead Leadership isn't affected by some of the modifiers from the original Leadership, plus it provides a table of suitable followers (mostly skellies and zombies).

I like it, and anything that'd help good old Necromancy (especially the fine art of raising the dead) is surely welcome to me. :xykon:

ZeroNumerous
2007-06-28, 11:11 PM
1. No, the aura does not affect enemy clerics as they are not allied undead creatures.

2. Yes, it gives attack/damage/HP bonuses to allied undead.

3. I have no idea why not, it's actually verbatim from the original True Necromancer(Libris Mortis). I simply changed the distance at which it worked.

I would assume that it only affects allied undead because the necromancer doesn't have the power to fully and completely desecrate an area against holymen.

EDIT: The Walking Dead, Zone of Desecration, and Prowess have been fixed.

EDIT#2: No, it does not stack with Leadership and I have made an edit to quantify this situation. Further, if DMs have a problem with followers or cohorts then they wouldn't allow necromancers in the first place, so I thought that a leadership-like ability wouldn't affect it in the slightest given that it is a necromancer based class.

Tor the Fallen
2007-06-28, 11:18 PM
The Walking Dead(Ex): At 10th level, a true necromancer gains untold prowess over the dead. He gains an ability similiar to the Undead Leadership feat. Using the Undead Leadership tables, the true necromancer simply replaces his Charisma modifier with the modifier from his primary spellcasting stat.

Only zombies and skeletons will heed the true necromancer's call as followers, appearing in pairs every day, no matter where the true necromancer is. There are no ill effects for the death of followers. The true necromancer also gains a cohort at the normal level for his character level + spellcasting stat. A true necromancer's cohort must be an intelligent undead creature.

So would a 16th level wizard/true necro with 24 int get a level 40 cohort?
That bit needs rewording, I think.
I recommend you use the Thrallherd's leadership-like ability as a template.

brian c
2007-06-28, 11:21 PM
I agree with Maerok, just replace the last ability with Undead Leadership. Also, add a provision like in the Dungeonlord PrC that if they already have undead leadership, their score increases +4.

About Necromantic Prowess: all you say is that they get "a bonus" to Necromancy spells. Is it an increase in caster level? In the save DC? Please elaborate.

ZeroNumerous
2007-06-28, 11:26 PM
So would a 16th level wizard/true necro with 24 int get a level 40 cohort?

No, earlier it says "Using the Undead Leadership" tables. 17th level is the cap, no matter what you do. Even if you had 40 INT and 32 class levels, it'd still be a 17th level cohort. Sucks, doesn't it?

Also, I'm guess I'll just replace it with Undead Leadership.

EDIT: Further, I clarified that it is Caster Level.

Tor the Fallen
2007-06-28, 11:28 PM
No, earlier it says "Using the Undead Leadership" tables. 17th level is the cap, no matter what you do. Even if you had 40 INT and 32 class levels, it'd still be a 17th level cohort. Sucks, doesn't it?

Also, I'm guess I'll just replace it with Undead Leadership.

The way it's worded, though, makes it seem that cohort level is merely max cohort level for your level (x-2) plus casting mod (+y). So you're pretty much guaranteed a cohort at a level higher than you.

ZeroNumerous
2007-06-28, 11:30 PM
That would be true, if not for the existence of this sentence: "Using the Undead Leadership tables.."

Meaning, you would determine your leadership score using that table. You have an absolute maximum of 17.

Maerok
2007-06-28, 11:42 PM
And that's when you have 19 total class levels.

Dante & Vergil
2007-11-06, 06:24 PM
I really like this revision of the True Necromancer. The fact that you can choose either arcane or divine spellcasting is amazing.
And a question on create undead, are you limited to create only the undead listed in the PHB?

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-06, 08:40 PM
And a question on create undead, are you limited to create only the undead listed in the PHB?

It functions as Create Undead.

Maerok
2007-11-06, 10:06 PM
Now this is a True Necromancer prestige class. Hmm, I think this would actually be a better choice for my necromancer than Wearer of Purple. Dread Necromancer 8/True Necromancer 10 with Ultimate Corpsecrafting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59582).

And this was quite a bit of thread necromancy.

Undead Familiar feat => Spellstitched Familiar Feat (Libris Mortis)?

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-07, 12:47 AM
Undead Familiar feat => Spellstitched Familiar Feat (Libris Mortis)?

Actually it's Stitched Flesh Familiar, I just forgot the name of it and stuck that in. Fixed it.