PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Channel Divinity feat

quinron
2016-06-14, 03:58 AM
Pretty straightforward: I'm interested in thoughts on a Magic Initiate-style feat for Channel Divinity. You choose one type of Channel Divinity that you can use a limited number of times; DC would be Wisdom or Charisma, based on which of the two classes you picked it from. I'm not sure what the policy on using the new Channel Divinity with existing uses should be, but I don't see any reason not to allow it.

What I'm not sure of is, should the usage be once per day or once per rest? As I said above, I'm comparing it to Magic Initiate - one 1st-level spell per day plus 2 cantrips at-will. Considering Channel Divinity is, on the whole, as powerful as or more powerful than a 1st-level spell, I'm leaning toward 1/day.

Arkhios
2016-06-14, 03:59 AM
I think Mike Mearls specifically said in the latest Unearthed Arcana article regarding new feats, that class features shouldn't be available as feats, and vice versa feats shouldn't be available as class features.

I know that's a bit inconsistent in regards to, say, Martial Adept or, as you posted, Magic Initiate. But I find that statement somewhat reasonable.

quinron
2016-06-14, 05:53 AM
I think Mike Mearls specifically said in the latest Unearthed Arcana article regarding new feats, that class features shouldn't be available as feats, and vice versa feats shouldn't be available as class features.

I know that's a bit inconsistent in regards to, say, Martial Adept or, as you posted, Magic Initiate. But I find that statement somewhat reasonable.

I largely agree - I actually had the idea after reading that article, and partially because of it. But, as with spellcasting and maneuvers, I feel that the variety of Channel Divinity options is so broad that granting one option to a character doesn't stop them from being whatever their core class is.

Martial Adept makes a character feel a little bit like a fighter; Magic Initiate makes a character feel a little bit like a wizard - even with cleric spells, I find you don't get a real "divine" vibe from the feat. Limited use of Channel Divinity makes a character feel a little bit divine.

zeek0
2016-06-14, 03:14 PM

I disagree with Mike I suppose. A feat is a good way to get the flavor of another class without multiclassing. Anything that allows for a player to better express their character concept is good in my book, as long as it remains balanced.

Here's the feat written up:

Divine Bond

You learn one channel divinity option of your choice from among those available to the Cleric or Paladin classes.
If a channel divinity option requires your target to make a saving throw to resist the effects, the saving throw DC equals 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom or Charisma modifier. If you already have a use of Channel Divinity, you use the modifier indicated by your class. If you do not, you choose which modifier to use when you gain this feat.
If you already have a use of Channel Divinity, you gain one more use; otherwise, you have use of Channel Divinity. You regain your expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.