PDA

View Full Version : The End of Red vs. Blue

Mr._Blinky
2007-06-29, 12:24 AM
Okay, so yeah, for those of you who care, the 100th episode of RvB went online today, ending the series. I had some mixed feelings about the episode, mostly disappointment that the series was ending, even if it was far past its prime.

But I have to say, as series finales go, this one was probably the most disappointing I've ever seen. If you've seen it, you probably know what I mean. If not, SPOILERS!

Okay, so first of all, I'd gone into this episode with the hope that one of two things would happen. Either A) The show would be brought to a satisfying conclusion, probably with the Reds and Blues just standing at their bases on opposite ends of the canyon, having a similar discussion to the beginning of the series, showing that despite everything that has happened, nothing has really changed. Or B) Tex would escape, and the series would branch off into another new series of RvB besides the BGC, perhaps in a different environment, as the Reds and Blues worked together to stop Tex/Omega. I would have been perfectly fine either way.

Instead, we're treated after 5 years of the show to an episode with a couple of good laughs, but that is in the end too random, too unexpected, and far too fulfilling to end any series. Instead of explaining things that didn't make sense, or building suspense (whatever of it there may be in a comedy series with routinely childish humor), we're treated to about 10 minutes or so of Omega jumping randomly in between people, and Tex coming up behind to beat them down. And then when the Andy blows up, killing the other alien (who is still never explained), Tucker's kid, Tex, and Omega, there's just a brief, "haha, they're dead", before people start randomly killing each other. WTF?!?!?!?!?!

Overall, the episode left me unfulfilled as an ending to a 5 year series, and as an episode in general. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, seeing as how the show has been the past season, but I can't help but be pissed. I can think of a thousand ways they could have ended it that would have been far better, but instead they chose to make it a lame ending that just went "okay, everybody dies randomly and needlessly!" Sure, fine, but I have to say, as the ending to a show that even past its prime still contained enough laughs to make it worth watching, it was a completely unsatisfying last episode.

Anybody else have thoughts? I'd guess not many people besides me still watched the series, since it really was far past its prime.

TheLogman
2007-06-29, 01:10 AM
Really? I thought that the ending was not only Hilarious, but completely appropriate.

Having said that, don't forget about 1-800-Magic, which is just getting started, and could be pretty good. Decent beginning at least, way faster jump to a story than RvB, which means it could be a pretty involved Plot.

You have to remember that RvB never really had any epic plot, or even serious humor.

Remember Bow-Chika-Bow-WOW? Remember the Doctor's plasma pistol device? Remember how stupid Caboose was? Remember the Pigs in a Blanket? Remember the broken high school Spanish? Remember the Holy Quest? Those things were no more serious humor than this ending was, and it think it all wrapped up quite nicely.

thorgrim29
2007-06-29, 01:19 AM
Well, it was funny, everyone dies, a lot. Caboose is a moron, O'malley is evil, nice ending all in all IMO.

Mr._Blinky
2007-06-29, 01:41 AM
Yeah, but see, the humor isn't my problem. Okay, that's part of it, but that's because I just thought it really wasn't all that funny.

See, my problem is that they could do dumb humor any time, and they frequently do. The humor is the only reason to even watch the show, since that's what it was meant for. But this was the last freaking episode. And if you're going to do an "everybody dies!", then you need to make it at least structured in some way, rather than just having everyone start randomly shooting each other for no apparent reason. Seriously, it was like "Okay, we'll have an important event here, in which five characters die, and then everyone will just start randomly killing each other!" I'd say that the ending was really anti-climatic, and I didn't really find it funny at all.

Atheist_Cleric
2007-06-29, 02:00 AM
I was slightly discouraged by the ending as well. It was done ok, but It seems like they made an extra-long episode which didnt really resolve anything. If the final part of the episode is right, then how the characters acted throughout the series makes no sense. The opening episode gave the premise of taking a thing like a multiplayer game of Halo and adapting its scenario to real life, and see what the reprecussion of such a thing would be. But then at the end they basically reversed everything and said that it wasnt a real-life portrayal of the concept at all. The finale had some comedy, some of which (the caboose stuff mainly) was pretty stale and repeated, some of which was ok. But the thing that got to me is that throughout the whole show there was semblance of plot, and characters having actual personalities etc. Im not saying it was a soap opera, but it wasnt like watching a video game happen. And then at the end they ended without concluding much and proclaimed that it WAS just watching a video game. Its probably the ending nobody expected, which is always cool in a way, but in terms of sticking to what you had going or resolvement, I think it fell far short.

Jibar
2007-06-29, 03:36 AM
Sorry, I was under the impression that this wasn't the end.
I thought it was the end of the Blood Gulch Chronicles, not Red vs Blue entirely.
Did I just get it wrong, or did something change along the way?

Mr._Blinky
2007-06-29, 04:10 AM
I thought it was the end of the Blood Gulch Chronicles, not Red vs Blue entirely.

Well, considering that everyone dies I would guess this is the end of RvB. Which is annoying, because I can see plenty of ways they could have branched off into a whole new series.

Vonriel
2007-06-29, 04:28 AM
Who's to say they won't use different characters for a different series? Just because these characters die, doesn't mean the entire Red and Blue armies are dead.

thorgrim29
2007-06-29, 11:51 AM
And remember Wyoming's AI is still out there.

Were-Sandwich
2007-06-29, 01:06 PM
Mr Blinky: You do realise there are three alternate endings, right? Thats one of the non-serious ones. I also think its the best.

'Finch' = Everyone dies (good)
'boxy' = multiplayer ending (good)
'Alarm' = Serious ending (also good)

Also: Am I the only one who didn't think the series was going down hill, and actually liked all the endings?

blackout
2007-06-29, 02:29 PM
I liked all of them...Especially the ones where everyone except for Tex, Gary, Sheila, O'malley, and Andy lived.

Mr._Blinky
2007-06-29, 03:55 PM
Wait, where the hell were the other ones?!?!?!? I only saw that one!

EDIT: Ah, now I know why he posted the links as three separate ones instead of just one. I guess I should have noticed that.:smallsmile:

EDIT2: Okay, see, the end of the third version is a lot closer to what I imagined. Them just standing around, talking in a parallel to the beginning of the series. That actually works. I'm glad that at least now I can appreciate the "everyone dies" as its own thing, rather than the only end to the show.

TheLogman
2007-06-30, 01:31 AM
I didn't know about the other three endings either.

I saw the "It was all a game" ending first, and I thought "Oh hehehe, that's a pretty funny joke. I would have liked a little more closure, or a better ending, but ah well, it ends how it begins" Then, I saw the "Caboose is the winner!" ending, which I didn't like a all, and then the sad ending with the song that is beautifully appropriate, and perfectly wraps up the series. Oh, and Blackout? Do you mean you didn't like any of them, or is there some super secret ending I didn't see?

I guess each ending was perfect for a different kind of person, who was looking for something else in the series. I'm so glad that RoosterTeeth would do something like that.

Sage in the Playground
2007-06-30, 02:09 AM

New map! Ten char. limit.

Flabbicus
2007-06-30, 11:47 AM
I didn't like the game ending, but the one with them coming back full circle was fitting. It wasn't so much funny as sentimental. I think the Caboose "winning" episode was funny because it ended with Rookie versus Rookie, which also was a return to the first season.

blackout
2007-06-30, 11:54 AM
Grif shooting Tucker was funny.

As was Sister shooting Grif.

And all the shooting really.

Mr._Blinky
2007-06-30, 12:43 PM
Grif shooting Tucker was funny.

As was Sister shooting Grif.

And all the shooting really.

Yeah, but I'm still really glad that was only one version of the end. Funny as it might have been by itself, when I first saw it and thought it was the only end, I couldn't help feeling ripped off.

blackout
2007-06-30, 12:44 PM
Doc: I'm...not...dead...I just need my first-aid-kit-
Tucker:*shoots him*

Were-Sandwich
2007-06-30, 01:15 PM
Sarge: Initiate emergency plan Delta *shoots griff*

Ditto
2007-06-30, 05:57 PM
Three endings? Gak!

It was indeed too rushed. The alien plot was not explained well at ALL, and the ending to that little piece was far too abrupt. That said, I laughed out loud at several points. The multiplayer ending was great... I didn't think about it in terms of some meta-plot, it was just funny at the surface level and I was fine with that. Ah, memories of episode 40... You can think of it as them waking up from a dream, if you like.

But most importantly, we learned where Yellow Church from Episode 50 came from. THAT was the single greatest LOL the series has ever given me, I think - I love self-referential, long-running humor like that.

Nightmarenny
2007-07-01, 12:27 AM
Three endings? Gak!

It was indeed too rushed. The alien plot was not explained well at ALL, and the ending to that little piece was far too abrupt. That said, I laughed out loud at several points. The multiplayer ending was great... I didn't think about it in terms of some meta-plot, it was just funny at the surface level and I was fine with that. Ah, memories of episode 40... You can think of it as them waking up from a dream, if you like.

But most importantly, we learned where Yellow Church from Episode 50 came from. THAT was the single greatest LOL the series has ever given me, I think - I love self-referential, long-running humor like that.

Thats really because it doesn't really matter. The Alien plot is best looked at thet that the character looked at it.

"Ok aliens, Prophecy, Jr becomes king because of it, King has a huge ass army, everyones screwed" Past that it doesn't really matter.

I found each ending satisfing and can't wait to find out which they go for on the DVD. The multiplayer ending should like hes said be looked at as a "waking up from a dream" what the hell just happened?" thing. Its like in the begining you have the basic making a a mutiplayer match and it gets high jacked by some crazy stuff, I thought it was the only one for awhile and was rather happy with it.

the everyone dies ending. Was funny and finish the war as what it could always have been, a quick blood harvest. Caboose won. Awesome.

The last one will probably be the "real" ending. Its back to basics but more importantly hits you with a very subtle joke. That the teams "role" in the series reverse's. It used to be the Reds had all the plot and blues sat around and made coments but by the end reversed.

Midnighter1021
2007-07-01, 01:05 AM
I was one of the first fans of RVB and Im also am one of their sponsors so overall I really enjoyed all 3 of the endings and really want to see more of all the other projects that they are working on such as Strangerhood, PANICS, and 1-800 Magic

Fury1671
2007-07-01, 08:27 AM
I'm kinda depressed. The same sort of depressed I am when Rich is sick and is late with the comic and when I beat a game I've been playing for ages. Hard to believe after 100 episodes its over. Although I know there's gonna be a new Red vs Blue:<New Subtitle Goes Here>, I still didn't want this season to end. I'd impatiently wait for the next episode to come out, even checking at stupid hours of the day.

The first ending I saw was Alarm, which is probably the best of the three to see first. Nice to see the series come full circle. Boxy was a good laugh and a prediction of mine. I really didn't like Finch that much. The idea was cool, but I didn't think it was that well executed.

The rest of the episode? Left me wanting more. It felt like a giant movie of Whac-A-Mole. Although, it is awesome to find out where Yellow Church came from. Poor, poor, Church. Or should I say:Caboose's vision of Sister, aka Church's twin bother that came from the moon.

All in all, I'll be watching 1-800-MAGIC and whatever else Rooster Teeth puts out. I'm a sponsor and probably will be picking up a t-shirt and all 5 DVDs if possible. Probably the (selection spoilerized cause its part of an ending)

The 'Boxy' ending. You Have Winner!

TheLogman
2007-07-01, 09:17 PM
Oh, and in terms of the... Multiplayer ending , there is a program called Halo: Custom Edition. With it, you can design single-player modes, and even put multiple people into it. With added voices, you could update the graphics to Halo 2 (Not easy, but doable), and then have everyone but the two teams have voices planted by the people making it. It would be insanely difficult, but doable, especially the "Weirdest game ever" parts, there are some maps that are a near campaign mode, and they range from boring (Kill all the NPC's) to "Kill all the Spartans with snipers, that are summon dinosaurs, with only a pistol, after escaping from jail, also there are weird Roswell aliens getting dissected on the table, and also Flood" I have played a map like that, and another where Rouge robots with lasers take over the world, and they can nearly 1-hit kill you.

Leper_Kahn
2007-07-01, 09:23 PM
Well, considering that everyone dies I would guess this is the end of RvB. Which is annoying, because I can see plenty of ways they could have branched off into a whole new series.

Some of the characters have come back from the dead. I don't think it'll happen, but there could be RvB: Ghost!

Mr._Blinky
2007-07-01, 09:35 PM
Some of the characters have come back from the dead. I don't think it'll happen, but there could be RvB: Ghost!

Yeah, I just realized that today. I was sitting at home and went, "Wait, why is Church so depressed? Tex is already a ghost anyways!"

blackout
2007-07-01, 10:41 PM
Oh, and in terms of the... Multiplayer ending , there is a program called Halo: Custom Edition. With it, you can design single-player modes, and even put multiple people into it. With added voices, you could update the graphics to Halo 2 (Not easy, but doable), and then have everyone but the two teams have voices planted by the people making it. It would be insanely difficult, but doable, especially the "Weirdest game ever" parts, there are some maps that are a near campaign mode, and they range from boring (Kill all the NPC's) to "Kill all the Spartans with snipers, that are summon dinosaurs, with only a pistol, after escaping from jail, also there are weird Roswell aliens getting dissected on the table, and also Flood" I have played a map like that, and another where Rouge robots with lasers take over the world, and they can nearly 1-hit kill you.

WHERE?! WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT MAP?! I MUST KNOW!

Jacklu
2007-07-01, 11:02 PM
I felt the ending(s) was(were), in keeping with the redvsblue spirit.
The "everyone dies ending was awesome. "Caboose, jump in the tank and give some cover fire. And this time, don't kill me!" "OK!" *BOOM!* "Wait.. what was the first part again?"
And I loved the multilayer ending.
"That sucked! I got team killed in the first ten minutes!" And the Japaneses credits were hilarious. Also, take a look at the scores, Tex had 99 kills and Caboose had -1.:smallbiggrin:

The final "the more things change, the more they stay the same" ending was great.

A few side notes: I loved the throwback to the ep 50 with the yellow church. I have a theory about the way the explosion came after the ship disappeared, it has to do with Tex dropping Andy and jumping to hyperspace(Or using Wyoming's helmet to travel through time), thus opening it up for another series. In the multilayer ending the computer screen told us to tune into redvsblue 2(coming in winter 2004). And the third ending featured a mongoose(perhaps a hint of what might happen after halo 3 comes out).

Fury1671
2007-07-01, 11:43 PM
the computer screen told us to tune into redvsblue 2(coming in winter 2004).

I think that might be a joke about how long RvB was supposed to last. It was only supposed to be 6 episodes long.

But I really can't wait for new episodes.

dsuursoo
2007-07-02, 01:20 PM
huzzah!!! the show really stopped being entertaining around oh, episode ten or so. then it felt like the same jokes over and over.

Nightmarenny
2007-07-03, 12:33 AM
huzzah!!! the show really stopped being entertaining around oh, episode ten or so. then it felt like the same jokes over and over.

God its like a pessimist plague invaded the forum.

open_source.exe
2007-07-10, 09:32 AM
Where, may I ask, are these other episodes?

I can only find the one where they all die at the end.

Never mind, I found them.