PDA

View Full Version : 5e Noob Looking For Advice

Criv
2016-06-14, 12:25 PM
Hello! I have lurked these forums for a week or so, and have decided to just register and post this myself.

I am joining my first 5e campaign, and we are going through the process of character creation. My party consists of a Fighter, Wizard, and Warlock, and I am going to try to fit the 4th role. I have interest in filling the remaining roles that the party lacks, namely, healing and skillmonkeying. Bards as a class have jumped out at me, but so has the idea of multiclassing. The campaign's theme is that of "scavenger hunt", so a skillmonkey further jumps out to me. Are Trickster Cleric/Rogues viable? What about Cleric/Bards? Or Rogue/Bards?

I have played for years and have played primarily arcane spellcasters or DM'd, so I am not concerned with some reading. I'm not concerned with "who this character is", that can certainly be figured out. I also dont care to metagame and be 100% optimized as much as...have fun?

Anyway thanks in advance for any input or advice!

JNAProductions
2016-06-14, 12:28 PM
If you're new to 5E, I'd just go Straight Bard. (Character being straight not required. :P)

It's still a complex class, but so long as you pick your Magical Secrets well, it's hard to screw up too badly.

What level are you starting at?

mgshamster
2016-06-14, 12:28 PM
Yup, those are all viable characters. It's kind of difficult to make a character that's not useful - you have to go out of your way to make a bad character in this edition.

You can pick any of those and you'll likely have fun with it.

MrFahrenheit
2016-06-14, 01:26 PM
Just because the other members don't necessarily have proficiency in skills linked to their maxed stat, doesn't mean they'll be bad at it. They'll still be decent: Your party looks like it has its cha-focused face (warlock), int-focused scholar (wizard), and either dex-focused or str-focused tank (fighter).

I'd say play what you want to play. Your play group could always expand. Just because you're last in the party doesn't mean you HAVE to take the last role.

But assuming you do...I'd say go rogue or cleric. Either melee thief if the fighter is ranged, or knowledge cleric if the fighter is melee. In the latter case, your CD would only come into effect when necessary. Don't volunteer the skill proficiencies before others have tried and failed.

LaserFace
2016-06-14, 01:59 PM
If you're new to 5E, I'd just go Straight Bard. (Character being straight not required. :P)

It's still a complex class, but so long as you pick your Magical Secrets well, it's hard to screw up too badly.

I agree with this. Single-class characters are absolutely fine in 5E, and the Bard can be fun and effective without any insane amount of game knowledge. Should cover the remaining bases, and although I don't have game experience to back it up, multiclassing seems easier to screw up.

Sir cryosin
2016-06-14, 02:21 PM
It looks like the party can use a rogue. And any rogue is fine. Or a cleric but don't play the healbot.

Socratov
2016-06-14, 02:35 PM
I think your party could use a front-liner with some healing so I's suggest Paladin.The paladin also gets bless, and guidance, which can help enormously in supporting your party in whatever it is you will do.

Hooligan
2016-06-14, 03:04 PM
I'd echo much of what other posters have said:
1. Play something that sounds fun to you (rather than perceived roles/party "needs", no matter what you pick your group will get on fine.)
2. For your first time, try a single class; this one I think comes down to personal preference, factoring in your overall D&D experience (and it sounds as though this is not your first rodeo.)

...that said, of the choices you listed, I'd be tempted to go for a single class Rogue.

I find the class incredibly fun to play and relatively versatile on a number of levels (all the different types of characters the class can accommodate, lots of options in & out of combat, etc.)

They also require less bookkeeping than almost any class and, without knowing anything about your DM's style, are at the peak of their powers no matter how many long/short rests a day you can expect. If you are lazy like me, the former point should appeal to you & as it is your first 5e game will allow you much more time to get a good feel for the rules & how the game plays.

Either way, have fun squire!

MintyNinja
2016-06-14, 03:48 PM
I'll add another voice to the chorus behind the Knowledge Cleric, and if you don't feel Skill Monkey enough, consider the Skilled Feat. This way you're focusing on an ability that no one else is (WIS) while also bringing something different to the group (Divine Magic and Religion checks). That's not even considering your background. If you're hellbent on getting Theive's Tools, take the Criminal Background and say that you've atoned for your past or something. Or just go full Indiana Jones as the knowledgeable grave robber.

Uneasy Goat
2016-06-14, 10:43 PM
Hello! I have lurked these forums for a week or so, and have decided to just register and post this myself.

I am joining my first 5e campaign, and we are going through the process of character creation. My party consists of a Fighter, Wizard, and Warlock, and I am going to try to fit the 4th role. I have interest in filling the remaining roles that the party lacks, namely, healing and skillmonkeying. Bards as a class have jumped out at me, but so has the idea of multiclassing. The campaign's theme is that of "scavenger hunt", so a skillmonkey further jumps out to me. Are Trickster Cleric/Rogues viable? What about Cleric/Bards? Or Rogue/Bards?

I have played for years and have played primarily arcane spellcasters or DM'd, so I am not concerned with some reading. I'm not concerned with "who this character is", that can certainly be figured out. I also dont care to metagame and be 100% optimized as much as...have fun?

Anyway thanks in advance for any input or advice!

Coming from someone who started with 3.5 around 7 years ago and fell in love with 5th, I would suggest wholeheartedly that you stick with a single class for your first delve. There are so many interesting features that all of the classes have to offer and learning everything you can about a single class can help you cross something with it in the future.

That being said, I'm a Bard-lover so I'd say go with it. On the healing aspect, they have a lovely "short rest healing" ability that can be super effective between combat situations.

5th edition has so many beautiful rules for backstories and character building that I felt were semi-lacking in 3.5, so the "who this character is" dilemma of the past doesn't even exist anymore. You have a perfect choice at level 3 for playing a combat or a support bard, just don't be disappointed that you can only buff one player at a time (since you used to be able to buff the whole party in 3.5) because you give them a whole D6 to add instead of just a +1.

Lastly, to answer your cross-classing question... You won't be disappointed with a Bard-barian. Just sayin'.