PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Hill Dwarf Barbarian with 20 Con wanting to tank Gods

ImKaaarn
2016-06-14, 12:28 PM
I'm playing my first ever run of D&D (OotA) with some college buddies. Some of them probably visit these forums, so Hey! Sup?

Anyways, I decided when making the character, I wanted it to be as unkillable as I could make it. So far my stats and gear are as follows:
18 STR
14 DEX
20 CON
12 WIS
9 INT
10 CHA
I'm level 5 going down the Totem Bear path with a +1 shield as well as a ring of protection, so my AC is at 21 so far and HP at 77.

With the ASI I've used so far I've calculated that the rest of my points (4 left before level 20) could be spent to maxing my DEX and then getting the Tough feat, thereby going hypertank. I wouldn't be multiclassing, that way at level 20, I get that dank barbarian +4 to Con and Str.
(Here's my HP math and AC math)

HP at Level 20:
12 Base
+20 Hill Dwarf +1 HP per level
+ (7x2019) Barbarian +7 HP per level(possible (12x19) but that relies on random rolls which I ain't about)
+ (7x20) Constitution +7 HP per level
+ 40 Tough Feat + 2 HP per level
= 352 HP
= 345 HP (Oops, Thanks GlenSmash!)

AC at Level 20:
10 Base
+5 Dex
+7 Con
=22
+3 from the +1 Shield
+1 Ring of Protection
=26

However I've also considered getting Savage Attacker and Sentinel along with Tough and maxing my STR, which would be super fun with hitting things really hard.

There are a lot of combinations and possibility. I could max my strength, get tough and push the rest into dexterity, or put one into dex to get another feat, or ignore dex all together. Putting nothing into dex however would leave my AC at 21 till I get to level 20.

My question is what combinations do you feel would be really interesting or appeals to you?
I have 4 ASIs left, enough to max my DEX and get Tough (thereby maxing my AC and HP at level 20: to 26AC, should I keep my current gear, and 352HP with tough) or I could drop the high AC/HP goal in exchange for some entirely different tactics

Thanks!

JNAProductions
2016-06-14, 12:32 PM
DO NOT get Savage Attacker. It sucks.

Sentinel might be worth it-but Tough and 24 Con on a Barbarian is pretty dang tasty.

MrFahrenheit
2016-06-14, 01:17 PM
I'm playing my first ever run of D&D (OotA) with some college buddies. Some of them probably visit these forums, so Hey! Sup?

Anyways, I decided when making the character, I wanted it to be as unkillable as I could make it. So far my stats and gear are as follows:
18 STR
14 DEX
20 CON
(The rest don't matter 'cuz barbarian.)
I'm level 5 with a +1 shield as well as a ring of protection, so my AC is at 21 so far and HP at 77.

With the ASI I've used so far I've calculated that the rest of my points (4 left before level 20) could be spent to maxing my DEX and then getting the Tough feat, thereby going hypertank. I wouldn't be multiclassing, that way at level 20, I get that dank barbarian +4 to Con and Str.
(Here's my HP math and AC math)

HP at Level 20:
12 Base
+ (7x20) Barbarian +7 HP per level(possible (12x20) but that relies on random rolls which I ain't about)
= 352 HP

AC at Level 20:
10 Base
+5 Dex
+7 Con
=22
+3 from the +1 Shield
+1 Ring of Protection
=26

However I've also considered getting Savage Attacker and Sentinel along with Tough and maxing my STR, which would be super fun with hitting things really hard.

There are a lot of combinations and possibility. I could max my strength, get tough and push the rest into dexterity, or put one into dex to get another feat, or ignore dex all together. Putting nothing into dex however would leave my AC at 21 till I get to level 20.

My question is what combinations do you feel would be really interesting or appeals to you?
I have 4 ASIs left, enough to max my DEX and get Tough (thereby maxing my AC and HP at level 20: to 26AC, should I keep my current gear, and 352HP with tough) or I could drop the high AC/HP goal in exchange for some entirely different tactics

Thanks!

With those stats at level 5, I assume they were rolled at creation?

Anyhow, str to 20 for sure, and toughness for sure. Is your wisdom odd-numbered? If so, consider taking resilient: wisdom. You don't need all that raging power turned against friendlies.

Biggstick
2016-06-14, 01:25 PM

Anyhow, str to 20 for sure, and toughness for sure. Is your wisdom odd-numbered? If so, consider taking resilient: wisdom. You don't need all that raging power turned against friendlies.

Resilient Wis definitely needs to get picked up. Don't worry about your Dex anymore, you have all that you need. I'd start looking at feats at this point. Shield Master/Sentinel/Mage Slayer/Alert/Mobile are all solid feats that you could make great use of. Being a level 5 Barb already takes care of Dwarve's 25 MS, but another 10 MS on top of that would be absolutely frightening.

GlenSmash!
2016-06-14, 01:27 PM
HP at Level 20:
12 Base
+ (7x20) Barbarian +7 HP per level(possible (12x20) but that relies on random rolls which I ain't about)
= 352 HP

You are counting Lvl 1 twice: 12 base and (7x20) [U]Barbarian +7 HP per level. It should be 12 Base + (7x19) [U]Barbarian +7 HP per level

Your total should be 345.

Which is a glorious number! With luck you'll get a Belt of Giant Strength, and Bam! you're pretty much playing my dream character.

ImKaaarn
2016-06-14, 01:34 PM
DO NOT get Savage Attacker. It sucks.

Sentinel might be worth it-but Tough and 24 Con on a Barbarian is pretty dang tasty.
Oh, well damn. I figured it would suit well with sentinel since I'd get to use savage attacker on reaction melee attack rolls. I'll look more into it now, thanks!

Yup, I rolled them at the start. Wis has a +1 and proficiency with saving throws and +1 to every saving throw all across the board thanks to the glory that is the Ring of Protection. CHA has a 0 mod and INT has a -1.

You are counting Lvl 1 twice: 12 base and (7x20) [U]Barbarian +7 HP per level. It should be 12 Base + (7x19) [U]Barbarian +7 HP per level

Your total should be 345.

Which is a glorious number! With luck you'll get a Belt of Giant Strength, and Bam! you're pretty much playing my dream character.
Oops! Thanks! Edited lol
A belt of giant strength would be godly, I'm sure everyone dreams about that item

Resilient Wis definitely needs to get picked up. Don't worry about your Dex anymore, you have all that you need. I'd start looking at feats at this point. Shield Master/Sentinel/Mage Slayer/Alert/Mobile are all solid feats that you could make great use of. Being a level 5 Barb already takes care of Dwarve's 25 MS, but another 10 MS on top of that would be absolutely frightening.

Yea, Ring of Protection covers Wisdom saving throws. As for Alert, Barbarians get an advantage to initiative rolls at level 7 so maybe not that, but holy hell mobile, Mobile is rad. I'd end up getting a MS of 45 if I took it

RulesJD
2016-06-14, 01:47 PM
Oh, well damn. I figured it would suit well with sentinel since I'd get to use savage attacker on reaction melee attack rolls. I'll look more into it now, thanks!

Yup, I rolled them at the start. Wis has a +1 and proficiency with saving throws all across the board thanks to the glory that is the Ring of Protection. CHA has a 0 mod and INT has a -1.

I'm not sure who guided you through character creation, but they are waaaay wrong.

Presumably you're doing homebrew, so that's fine and all. But things like thinking the Ring of Protection gives you Proficiency is wrong. It only grants +1 to all saves, not your Proficiency bonus (which is currently +3).

You aren't going to be tanking gods btw unless you pick up Resilency (Wisdom). Also, OotA doesn't go up to level 20 (unless your DM wants it to). By default, OotA only goes up to ~15ish.

ImKaaarn
2016-06-14, 01:56 PM
I'm not sure who guided you through character creation, but they are waaaay wrong.

Presumably you're doing homebrew, so that's fine and all. But things like thinking the Ring of Protection gives you Proficiency is wrong. It only grants +1 to all saves, not your Proficiency bonus (which is currently +3).

You aren't going to be tanking gods btw unless you pick up Resilency (Wisdom). Also, OotA doesn't go up to level 20 (unless your DM wants it to). By default, OotA only goes up to ~15ish.
Oops, my bad. I incorrectly remembered how the ring worked. In that case resilient does look really good, damn.
I suppose I'll talk go to my DM buddy next time I see him on the whole levelling shabang.

Also would savage attacker not work with sentinel? Because the wording makes it sound that Savage Attacker can be used on the turns of others so long as I'm getting a melee attack roll.
Read the definition of a turn, dang. Savage attacker does suck

Specter
2016-06-14, 02:01 PM
Tanking is not just about HP, but also drawing hits to yourself instead of your buddies. Thus, Sentinel is almost mandatory, especially because of Bear Totem's final ability.

And while INT and CHA can be freely dumped, WIS is very important; you don't want the DM controlling your megatank against the team. Have at the very least 10 on it (I'd take 12), and consider Resilient too.

Also, even if you managed to have 20CON at level 5, boosting DEX is nothing but a dream in a build where you need feats.

ImKaaarn
2016-06-14, 02:07 PM
Tanking is not just about HP, but also drawing hits to yourself instead of your buddies. Thus, Sentinel is almost mandatory, especially because of Bear Totem's final ability.

And while INT and CHA can be freely dumped, WIS is very important; you don't want the DM controlling your megatank against the team. Have at the very least 10 on it (I'd take 12), and consider Resilient too.

Also, even if you managed to start with 20CON, but if you didn't, boosting DEX is nothing but a dream in a build where you need feats.
I rolled a 17 originally for CON, Dwarven traits turned it into an 19 and an ASI turned it into a 20. (Split to STR)
And I got a 12 in WIS, so that's sweet!

Funny thing to note, the DM actually did take control of my character once, and I thought it was a rad old time.
Lowkey, I am hoping it happens again because getting to fight the party is a little too much fun.

Coyote81
2016-06-14, 03:23 PM
What about some rogue multiclassing for reaction uncanny dodge for 1/4 damage from attacks?

Jeebs
2016-06-15, 06:08 AM
Unless you're married to using your shield, I'd consider taking Great Weapon Master. It's a strong mechanic that makes a very fun pair with Reckless Attack.

I'd also take Resilient (WIS) to avoid spells and other effects that make you lose control of your character.

Maxing STR and getting Tough would be my choice for your other ASIs.

You wouldn't have as high an AC when unarmored, but you may find some magical medium armor, and you'd have stronger offense, plus more diverse defenses.

RaynorReynolds
2016-06-15, 09:36 PM
Unless you're married to using your shield, I'd consider taking Great Weapon Master. It's a strong mechanic that makes a very fun pair with Reckless Attack.

I'd also take Resilient (WIS) to avoid spells and other effects that make you lose control of your character.

Maxing STR and getting Tough would be my choice for your other ASIs.

You wouldn't have as high an AC when unarmored, but you may find some magical medium armor, and you'd have stronger offense, plus more diverse defenses.

I am so confused. Why are people telling him to pump strength and drop the shield? He wants to make a tank so he needs to pump Dex for AC. Dex will also help against all those dex based saving throws that are out there.

Naanomi
2016-06-15, 09:50 PM
Shield mastery to make use of that bonus action, shove people over as a tanking/support method?

Jeebs
2016-06-16, 07:15 AM
Why are people telling him to pump strength and drop the shield? He wants to make a tank so he needs to pump Dex for AC. Dex will also help against all those dex based saving throws that are out there.

As a Bear Totem Barbarian, they're plenty tanky. I think they're better off making a more diverse character. One that can deal serious damage, as well as take it.

They can wear Medium Armor effectively, and Barbarians get Advantage on DEX saves while raging, don't they? So pumping DEX is definitely valid, but it seems like diminishing returns compared to what you could otherwise do with those ASIs. Just my opinion.

HoarsHalberd
2016-06-16, 07:58 AM
As a Bear Totem Barbarian, they're plenty tanky. I think they're better off making a more diverse character. One that can deal serious damage, as well as take it.

They can wear Medium Armor effectively, and Barbarians get Advantage on DEX saves while raging, don't they? So pumping DEX is definitely valid, but it seems like diminishing returns compared to what you could otherwise do with those ASIs. Just my opinion.

He's already got 20 con, which gives him 15+dex AC. Which means he can go up to 22 AC if he chooses to pump dex and go shield. But still, I'd recommend swapping out one ASI for a strength ASI as +1 hit and damage makes a much bigger contribution to the party than +1 AC.