PDA

View Full Version : Character help

EkulNagrom
2016-06-14, 12:42 PM
Hello! I have recently been stuck trying to decide the character I'm going to use in an upcoming game. I couldn't decide, and decided to ask online. Please tell me which of the three characters below is your favorite, or which is the most fun you think would be to play, or the one that sounds boring. Also, I prefer for my characters have funny flaws. Does anyone have some silly flaws they're willing to share?

Character 1: Tiefling divinitation wizard: Is a super-nice, all-around helpful guy that loves to help children and donate to the poor. He always carries around candy to give out, and aspires to use his magic to help solve the worlds problems. Unfortunately, he's a Tiefling, and everyone hates tieflings. It's really hard to give a child some candy while his mother is swinging her purse at you.

Character 2: Conjuration wizard (No race chosen, would like ideas for one): This wizard was cursed by an evil spellcaster, so that everyone he sees looks the same. He is always confused by who is who, and often mixes people up. At his side is an invisible butler, who is actually an abyssal demon. The demon, named something tragic like Bentley, is always temping the wizard to do evil things. Bentley is the only person the wizard can see clearly, the demon looks like Satan in a black tuxedo. Everyone else is just a skin colored blur.

Character 3: A Dwarf dentist (Ether a bard or a wizard): This dwarf values oral hygiene above all else. He constantly pesters his companions about brushing and flossing, and hates alcohol and sugar with a fierce passion. He carries around a bottle with a moldy tooth floating in beer as a reminder of what happens when you drink. He is very ugly, with pristine white teeth that can blind oncoming monsters.

Hooligan
2016-06-14, 12:58 PM
Personally I love the idea of #1, particularly if he/she was blissfully unaware of people's aversion to him/her; "Man these parents must really hate candy..."

Plus if you are the type (like some posters on here) that gets tired of the campaign & turns Murderhobo/Evil, what better excuse than becoming hardened by repeated abuse for what you perceive to be benevolent offers of sugar? (while I neither condone nor encourage this route, if it should happen please post the details here!)

smcmike
2016-06-14, 01:06 PM
I like #1 the most. Fun idea, easy to fit into a character that is more than just a schtick.

The other two are ok. #2 is cool, but it seems like it would get in the way of the game a lot, so I'd be wary. #3 is too much of a schtick for me, but mileage varies.

EkulNagrom
2016-06-14, 01:50 PM
Personally I love the idea of #1, particularly if he/she was blissfully unaware of people's aversion to him/her; "Man these parents must really hate candy..."

Plus if you are the type (like some posters on here) that gets tired of the campaign & turns Murderhobo/Evil, what better excuse than becoming hardened by repeated abuse for what you perceive to be benevolent offers of sugar? (while I neither condone nor encourage this route, if it should happen please post the details here!)

That Unaware idea is great! I'll be sure to use it. And if I decide to make him go insane, then I'll be sure to post! Thank you!

Uneasy Goat
2016-06-14, 10:51 PM
I love the first two, and I'm having a hard time deciding which I like better!

But I suppose I'd have to go with 2, but maybe without the butler. Having a NPC that directs you can cause some issues with your DM (running 2 characters, 1 of which might have otherworldly knowledge of future events) but the idea of everyone looking like blurs and not being able to tell them apart could be super interesting. Especially if you had an alignment that was leaning towards G rather than evil. It might mean that you rely on your wisdom and memory to discern if someone is good/evil since you've essentially removed the problem of "judging a book by it's cover".

RickAllison
2016-06-15, 12:33 AM
I like the Unaware idea for the first one as well. Maybe a low Wisdom to show he doesn't really understand the intentions of those parents (no Insight).

Specter
2016-06-15, 01:21 PM
Holy crap, n. 3 is awesome. Some tips to make that work:

- Go Wizard, and leave DX at 14 if possible to take advantage of your medium armor proficiencies.
- Dump ST; you will still have a 10 at it.
- Leave your CON at an odd number to even it out with Resilient (CON).

Biggstick
2016-06-15, 03:30 PM
The Tiefling handing out candy sounds pretty cool, but the Dwarven Dentist really stood out to me.

The first thing that honestly came to mind was an AT Rogue. Nimble fingers + an invisible mage hand to manipulate the dentistry tools. Having expertise will also really open you up to excel at those Sleight of Hand checks when performing a surgery on someone.

Another little tidbit might be this Dwarf Dentist encouraging children who lose their teeth to put them under their pillow's at night. This AT Rogue Dwarf then sneaks in and places a coin under the pillow using the invisible mage hand (or use a familiar). Every town this Dwarf comes through he spreads good information about cleaning your teeth and the myth of the "Legendary Tooth Fairy!"

Last aside, hopefully the Tiefling and the Dwarf never meet. I fear what might happen if they should.

EkulNagrom
2016-06-15, 04:25 PM
@Specter: I will keep that in mind! I'll be sure to use your tips!

@Biggstick: I love the tooth fairy idea! Making an ugly dwarf sneaking into someones house to place a coin under a pillow sounds just like the thing I would do.

@Uneasy Goat: You're probably right, having a demonic butler that's constantly tempting would be a huge hassle for the DM. Thanks for warning me

@RickAllison: I'll be sure to give him low wisdom. Thank you!

Thanks for all the feedback! And if anyone wants to use these ideas for themselves, feel free! :)