PDA

View Full Version : mounted grappling

dev6500
2016-06-14, 02:06 PM
Was just pondering these 2 questions, has anyone seen a ruling on this?
1. Can you grapple while riding a mount? Couldn't really find anything specific against it on 195 or 198.

2. Is your mounts movement halved while you are grappling a target? So far, the RAW seems to be no. Since your movement is halved but it is the mount that is moving, it retains its full movement.

hymer
2016-06-14, 02:21 PM
Was just pondering these 2 questions, has anyone seen a ruling on this?
1. Can you grapple while riding a mount? Couldn't really find anything specific against it on 195 or 198.

I'll go out on a limb and say there's nothing in the rules to prevent you from grappling while mounted. The DM may well decide that things won't go as smoothly as that, though.

2. Is your mounts movement halved while you are grappling a target? So far, the RAW seems to be no. Since your movement is halved but it is the mount that is moving, it retains its full movement.

Your mount's movement is unaffected, but from the text as I read it, you have to use your own movement to move a grappled foe.

smcmike
2016-06-14, 02:30 PM
I would allow it, but would add in complications when they come up. I might say that dragging someone while holding them is a second athletics check, to stay mounted and holding on.

Consider that someone who is mounted is actually quite vulnerable to grappling - if you engage in a grapple, you are just asking to get pulled off your horse.

Look at the old Persian Rostam stories for mythological precedent - he's always riding up and pulling people off their horses and throwing them on the ground.

Also, consider a homebrew lasso + horse.

Hrugner
2016-06-14, 04:31 PM
You could interpret the line "when you move" to preclude movement given to you by the mount. If that were the case, the mount could then be considered an effect that is moving the target out of reach and thus end the grapple.

I'd stick with your interpretation though as it's something that should work with some difficulty.

wunderkid
2016-06-14, 07:54 PM
You could interpret the line "when you move" to preclude movement given to you by the mount. If that were the case, the mount could then be considered an effect that is moving the target out of reach and thus end the grapple.

I'd stick with your interpretation though as it's something that should work with some difficulty.

That's quite a good point actually. So does hitting someone with an eldrich blast automatically end a grapple? If so that's pretty awesome.

MaxWilson
2016-06-14, 09:13 PM
That's quite a good point actually. So does hitting someone with an eldrich blast automatically end a grapple? If so that's pretty awesome.

If it's a Repelling Blast, and if the new location they move to is not within their grappling reach (some monsters have 15' grapples or more), then yes.

Repelling Blast is also good at knocking people off their horses/gryphons/etc.

RickAllison
2016-06-14, 09:41 PM
If it's a Repelling Blast, and if the new location they move to is not within their grappling reach (some monsters have 15' grapples or more), then yes.

Repelling Blast is also good at knocking people off their horses/gryphons/etc.

That's actually one of the things that annoyed our Druid! He was a scorpion and our DMPC (who had Mary Sue potential, but the DM was awful at using her) blew the target right out of his hands without a chance to save or check.