PDA

View Full Version : Comics Scooby Dooby Don't?

Avilan the Grey
2016-06-14, 02:58 PM
Here is my review of the New Scooby series:

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
*Waking up*
Oh, this really has nothing to do with Scooby at all, does it?

t209
2016-06-14, 03:53 PM
Here is my review of the New Scooby series:

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
*Waking up*
Oh, this really has nothing to do with Scooby at all, does it?
The Jim Lee one or Be Cool, Scooby Doo?
To be fair, I just imagine the latter to have Jim Lee art style instead of Brickleberry.

Avilan the Grey
2016-06-14, 04:54 PM
The Scooby Apocalypse. I guess that's the Lee one?

DiscipleofBob
2016-06-15, 06:54 AM
Two questions:

1. Is this that thing where Scooby Doo is a cyborg and Shaggy's a hipster?

2. Is it somehow worse than that movie where they made Scrappy Doo a vengeful demonic hellbeast bent on conquering the world by possessing college kids?

AdmiralCheez
2016-06-15, 01:24 PM
2. Is it somehow worse than that movie where they made Scrappy Doo a vengeful demonic hellbeast bent on conquering the world by possessing college kids?

At first I thought this was a joke, but then I remembered that movie is real; I saw it in theaters, even. Someone actually paid for and worked to produce that.

Rogar Demonblud
2016-06-15, 02:35 PM
Frankly the only decent (not good, just decent) Scooby movie is the one with Hayley Kiyoko.

BiblioRook
2016-06-15, 03:02 PM
Is this that thing where Scooby Doo is a cyborg and Shaggy's a hipster?

Arguably Hipster Shaggy was the most enjoyable part of the Apocalypse comic for me. That's not saying that Hipster Shaggy was really much of an innovative or entertaining design, it just says more about how un-entertaining and unlikeable the rest of it was..

Velma was an emotionless shell there for plot exposition (because literally this comic wouldn't have even happened if it wasn't for her), Daphne was a ruthless but disgraced reporter who cared nothing about the people around her (including her crew) as long as she got what she was after, and Fred was just a spineless cameraman working under Daphne. Fred struck me as the oddest, isn't he supposed to be the brave one?
Also Scooby was Scooby, it sure what else to say there. Odd, as much as I normally enjoy the Scooby-Doo franchise it's almost always Scooby himself that is the least likeable part of it for me.

Mando Knight
2016-06-15, 03:29 PM
Arguably Hipster Shaggy was the most enjoyable part of the Apocalypse comic for me. That's not saying that Hipster Shaggy was really much of an innovative or entertaining design, it just says more about how un-entertaining and unlikeable the rest of it was..

Hipster Shaggy is, IMO, a completely rational modernization of the character, at least in concept.

Aotrs Commander
2016-06-15, 03:40 PM
"Scooby Apocolypse."

A... dark and gritty reimage of Scooby Doo.

*world-weary sigh*

Rodin
2016-06-15, 04:48 PM
I don't think I could ever take a grim version of Scooby Doo seriously after the Venture Bros did such a brilliant job of it almost 5 years ago. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr4Ek08FEFs)

Traab
2016-06-15, 05:21 PM
"Scooby Apocolypse."

A... dark and gritty reimage of Scooby Doo.

*world-weary sigh*

Didnt they do that years ago with the series where the mysterious involved actual ghosts instead of 500 versions of old man henderson? The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo. Oh sure it wasnt exactly GRITTY, but at least it involved the evil demons they unleashed because somehow they got lost on the way to hawaii and ended up in the himalayas.

Aotrs Commander
2016-06-15, 06:39 PM
Didnt they do that years ago with the series where the mysterious involved actual ghosts instead of 500 versions of old man henderson? The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo. Oh sure it wasnt exactly GRITTY, but at least it involved the evil demons they unleashed because somehow they got lost on the way to hawaii and ended up in the himalayas.

13 Ghosts was the only Scooby show I actually liked as a child. (Now I can tip mt hat to, what was it, Mystery Inc, which was, from the odd episode I saw, rather well done.)

Traab
2016-06-15, 06:52 PM
Heh, I was young enough that back then all the spin offs kind of blurred together. I enjoyed most of it, but I think I got a bit burned out on the classic series "Hey it might be a ghost! No, turns out its yet another guy inexplicably skilled at illusions and special effects!" You wanna hear something odd? I have actually read a few decent scooby doo fanfics, mostly centered on shaggy and scooby, and they are somewhat entertaining. Some silly, others somber and sad. As an example, he is a ptsd suffering veitnam vet, and scooby was a combat canine unit or something. A mysterious event they wont talk about mostly shattered their nerves, so all this "adventure seeking" is a torment to them, but they stick with their friends because they are all they have. In another one, its a short crossed with harry potter and the order calls in shaggy to help with tracking down the horcruxes. Turns out somewhere along the line, he and scooby started getting into REAL mystic mysteries, dark and nasty ones, and the rest of the gang, well, he doesnt want to talk about them.

veti
2016-06-15, 06:53 PM
At first I thought this was a joke, but then I remembered that movie is real; I saw it in theaters, even. Someone actually paid for and worked to produce that.

You're talking about one of the great movies. Script, soundtrack, CGI, casting - there is no part of that movie that is not spot-on, even the treatment of Scrappy. Especially the treatment of Scrappy. I paid to see it in the theatre, and I'd pay again, if they'd only show it again.

BiblioRook
2016-06-15, 09:21 PM
13 Ghosts was the only Scooby show I actually liked as a child. (Now I can tip mt hat to, what was it, Mystery Inc, which was, from the odd episode I saw, rather well done.)

Man, I loved Mystery Inc. I think it qualifies as a 'darker and edgier' version, but not one that went to far to the point that it came out the other side as something almost unfreognizable like this Apocolypse comic. I mean serious stuff went down in the Mystery Inc show, people died, like for real and in ways that was acknowledged. Yet at the same time it was still very much a Scooby Doo cartoon. Also you have to respect a version of the franchise that not only gave Fred a strong character and character growth but made him likeable on top of that.
Apparently fans are extremely divided on it though, Last time I looked it up I found about equal measure people praising it and damning it.

Rockphed
2016-06-15, 09:29 PM
You're talking about one of the great movies. Script, soundtrack, CGI, casting - there is no part of that movie that is not spot-on, even the treatment of Scrappy. Especially the treatment of Scrappy. I paid to see it in the theatre, and I'd pay again, if they'd only show it again.

The plot is corny as all get-out and the CGI was a little uncanny-valley when it was in theaters, but otherwise I agree with your assessment. The main characters had pretty good chemistry, which helped sell the plot.

Now, the movie is patently ridiculous, but I find that to be a plus.

It is somewhat like the George of the Jungle movie starring Brendon Frasier.

Aotrs Commander
2016-06-16, 04:53 AM
The plot is corny as all get-out and the CGI was a little uncanny-valley when it was in theaters, but otherwise I agree with your assessment. The main characters had pretty good chemistry, which helped sell the plot.

Now, the movie is patently ridiculous, but I find that to be a plus.

It is somewhat like the George of the Jungle movie starring Brendon Frasier.

I would just like to observe that, as Scrappy was always my favorite character out of the lot of them1... That movie was hilarious. (I think the second one was argueably even better, though.)

(As you may have gathered, I'm not a particularly big Scooby Doo fan overall. Generally, the more recent stuff I prefer to the older (which I found formulaic, especially the original which I can barely stand) - with the obvious excpetions of the newer stuff that, y'know sucks and whatnot.)

1Not that that's saying much, 13 Ghosts aside, it was never something I went out of my way to watch (still isn't largely).

Maryring
2016-06-16, 01:56 PM
I really, really loved Mystery Inc. It was fantastically well made, with a great progression of plot and characters. In my opinion it's perhaps the best Scooby Doo serial in the world.

Which is why I'm actually looking at this comic with interest. What little I've seen actually looks interesting, and I'll probably buy the whole series once it's done and binge on it.

AdmiralCheez
2016-06-16, 02:08 PM
The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo. Oh sure it wasnt exactly GRITTY, but at least it involved the evil demons they unleashed because somehow they got lost on the way to hawaii and ended up in the himalayas.

Plus, it had Vincent Price as a necromancer/sorceror, so that right there makes it worth watching.

Was it? I haven't seen it since, so my memory might be off. I don't remember being thrilled with it, though. Oh well.

Blackhawk748
2016-06-16, 02:33 PM
Man, I loved Mystery Inc. I think it qualifies as a 'darker and edgier' version, but not one that went to far to the point that it came out the other side as something almost unfreognizable like this Apocolypse comic. I mean serious stuff went down in the Mystery Inc show, people died, like for real and in ways that was acknowledged. Yet at the same time it was still very much a Scooby Doo cartoon. Also you have to respect a version of the franchise that not only gave Fred a strong character and character growth but made him likeable on top of that.
Apparently fans are extremely divided on it though, Last time I looked it up I found about equal measure people praising it and damning it.

I loved Mystery Inc too. Watched the whole thing in one go on Netflix and i thought it was done well, love their explanation as to why they're so many costumed villains.

I did like the Live Action movies, but then again i love campy films like that so its mostly a mater of taste.

Plus, it had Vincent Price as a necromancer/sorceror, so that right there makes it worth watching.

Excuse me while i go find this now.......

Avilan the Grey
2016-06-16, 04:25 PM
Shaggy being a Hipster is the only thing I like from that comic.

Rogar Demonblud
2016-06-16, 06:00 PM
Excuse me while i go find this now.......

Fair warning: They never finished the series.

Pex
2016-06-16, 11:15 PM
There are straight to video Scooby Doo movies starring Robbie Amell as Fred when he was still generally an unknown. The first one is the story of how the group got together. It's a kids movie, but it is done well enough. I liked it. Robbie even keeps his shirt on. :smallwink: The perhaps not so coincidence of this is that soon after doing the video he made his appearance on How I Met Your Mother as Robin's boyfriend who was a dog, and his name was Scooby.

t209
2016-06-17, 12:22 AM
And they released Be Cool, Scooby Doo! with animation that is like Brickleberry with humor of family guy.
:smallmad: Wonder how it's bad compared to Hipster Shaggy comic? I even plan to petition for having Jim Lee's art style for new season, depends if musclebound Fred, Shaggy and fanservice-y Velma and Daphne suits though.

Blackhawk748
2016-06-17, 05:58 AM
Fair warning: They never finished the series.

I figured that.

For other movies, i always liked Scooby Doo on Zombie Island and the movies that followed it. Then again i was a young kid when those came out so i was right in their target audience.

BiblioRook
2016-06-17, 10:04 PM
And they released Be Cool, Scooby Doo! with animation that is like Brickleberry with humor of family guy.

The comparison I usually go with is if Mystery Inc. was the original Teen Titans cartoon then Be Cool Scooby Doo would be Teen Titans Go.

I have to say though, having sat through Be Cool Scooby Doo ready and waiting to hate it I actually did finding myself enjoying it more then I expected to (that is to say, at all). If nothing else the fact that Daphne was bat-**** insane, which alone was pretty fun to watch.