PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Artificer Build Help

Zarion
2016-06-14, 03:30 PM
I've been working on a possible build for an Artificer in 3.5, the build doesn't take place in Ebberon so campaign specific requirements are ignored. I wanted to get away from the simple 20 level Artificer build. I would like peoples opinions on whether this build would work, and if its a good build for an artificer.

Race: Human
Cleric Domains: Magic, Knowledge Devotion, Planning/Animal Devotion
Character Traits: Magical Knack (artificer), Craftsmen

Magical Knack
You were raised, either wholly or in part, by a magical creature, either after it found you abandoned in the woods or because your parents often left you in the care of a magical minion. This constant exposure to magic has made its mysteries easy for you to understand, even when you turn your mind to other devotions and tasks.
Benefit: Pick a class when you gain this trait—your caster level in that class gains a +2 trait bonus as long as this bonus doesn't raise your caster level above your current Hit Dice.

Craftsman
You are exceptionally gifted in all forms of the crafts, whether it be Smithing, writing, enchanting or brewing. Those around you see you as a gifted crafts master, and look to you when they need a weapon fixed or some armour patched.
Benefit: Whenever using a Appraise, Craft, Decipher Script, Forgery and Profession skill you gain a +5 bonus to the required attribute.
Drawback: As a result of your increased crafting ability, any Profession skill that is not a craft and any Perform skill recieves a -3 deduction.
Roleplaying Ideas: A handy master smith, or a warrior who preffers to craft his own weapons. Perhaps even a thief fluent in multiple different languages able to fluently write in all of them and forge any signiature after only one sighting.
Flaws: Divine Gestures, Aligned Devotion

Divine Gestures
Your religious rites require elaborate gestures that cause you difficulty when casting divine spells while wearing armor or using a shield.
Prerequisite: Ability to cast divine spells.
Effect: You suffer a spell failure chance (due to armor, shields, or anything else which causes arcane spell failure) when casting divine spells, just as if they were arcane spells.
Suggested Class/Race: Cleric

Aligned Devotion
Your healing powers are only effective for those whose alignment closely matches yours.
Prerequisite: Ability to spontaneously cast cure spells.
Effect: Your spells of the healing subschool have reduced effect on those who do not share your alignment. Those that have exactly the same alignment as you gain full benefit from your healing. Those with an alignment within one step of yours are cured half the normal amount of hit points from your healing spells. Characters with alignments more than one step from yours gain no benefit from your healing at all.
Your cure spells still deal full damage to undead.
Suggested Class/Race: Cleric

Level
Class
BAB
Fortitude
Reflex
Will
Features
Feats

Cloistered Cleric
+0
+2
+0
+2
Lore, Turn/Rebuke Undead
Extraordinary Artisan, Legendary Artisan, Knowledge Devotion, Sanctum Spell +1

Artificer
+0
+2
+0
+4
Artificer Knowledge, Artisan Bonus, Disable Trap, Item Creation
Scribe Scroll

Artificer
+1
+2
+0
+5

Brew Potion, Item Familiar

Artificer
+2
+3
+1
+5

Craft Wondrous Item

Maester
+2
+3
+1
+7
Quick Crafting
Craft Wand

Artificer
+3
+3
+1
+8
Craft Homunculus
Persistent Spell*, Wand Surge

Artificer
+3
+3
+1
+8
Retain Essence
Craft Magical Arms & Armor

Artificer
+4
+4
+2
+9

Wand Mastery*

Cannith Wand Adept
+4
+4
+2
+11
Identify Wand, Wand Focus
+1

Cannith Wand Adept
+5
+4
+2
+12
Wand Quick Draw, Dual Wand Use

Artificer
+6/+1
+4
+2
+12
Metamagic Spell Trigger

Master Spellcrafter
+6/+1
+4
+2
+14
Spell Crafting Insight, Spell Crafting Power
1* +1

Master Spellcrafter
+7/+2
+4
+2
+15
Materials Knowledge (25%)

Artificer
+8/+3
+4
+2
+16

1*

Master Spellcrafter
+8/+3
+5
+3
+16

1* +1

Master Spellcrafter
+9/+4
+5
+3
+17
Crafting Efficiency (25%)

Artificer
+9/+4
+6
+4
+17

Craft Rod

Artificer
+10/+5
+6
+4
+18

Artificer
+11/+6/+1
+6
+4
+18
Metamagic Spell Completion

Artificer
+12/+7/+2
+7
+5
+19

Craft Staff +1*

The Master Spellcrafter class is a homebrew class that I rebuilt, it's in the Homebrew section of this site.

Troacctid
2016-06-14, 03:52 PM
What book is Master Spellcrafter from? I'm not aware of any class by that name.

Zarion
2016-06-14, 04:03 PM
What book is Master Spellcrafter from? I'm not aware of any class by that name.

Master Spellcrafter is a homebrew class, it can be found on the d&d wiki. I'm not sure about it because there's some debate about its balance.

Troacctid
2016-06-14, 04:33 PM
Does your DM have a list of specifically allowed homebrew? If not, it's going to be difficult to give meaningful advice, because the most efficient option will usually be to make up something new that's better than the official material.

Zarion
2016-06-14, 04:39 PM
Does your DM have a list of specifically allowed homebrew? If not, it's going to be difficult to give meaningful advice, because the most efficient option will usually be to make up something new that's better than the official material.

The class is the only homebrew currently, my DM is generally OK with homebrew as long as its balanced.

Gildedragon
2016-06-14, 05:16 PM
Reading through the Master Spellcrafter... It seemed okayish, reducing item base costs A LOT (making item creation cost 25cp per gp of market cost) edit, my bad, it is just 38cp on the gp... So not a lot a lot.
And Spellcrafting Insight is... Very abuseable esp since the math is funky: 50+50% is 75 but by the same math 3+50% can't be 6 (as the boots of TP example suggests) but 4

Furthermore the capacity to increase fixed numbers (such as charges) by a further 50% by an arbitrary skill check. That makes a ring of 3 wishes have 6; an eternal wand function 4 times; and a wand have 112 charges for the standard cost.
The only things unaffected are single use items as they always get rounded down back to one
Edit: actually single use items can be boosted, as one can increase the check's DC to increase by a further 50%
So a single scroll of wish can be made to have multiple wishes at little extra cost

... Though with the ability gained at no specific level it isn't ever gained and so it doesn't break a thing

Zarion
2016-06-14, 07:52 PM
There's been a lot of talk regarding the Spell Crafting Insight and a few other things, we've been trying to balance the class so it can work. I just think that its a good class for an artificer, the class also progresses spellcasting, which might or might not affect the artificer.

Ahus
2016-06-14, 09:16 PM
Is there a reason that the Master Spellcrafter - Materials Knowledge would not stack with Unbound Scroll? Regardless once you get the gp costs for scrolls to 0 and hit 13 load up on Quills of Scribing, scribe a scroll of Body Outside Body. Use the clones to queue up the Quills as a full round action, 0 cost / cloned XP. Profit.

Zarion
2016-06-14, 10:34 PM
Is there a reason that the Master Spellcrafter - Materials Knowledge would not stack with Unbound Scroll? Regardless once you get the gp costs for scrolls to 0 and hit 13 load up on Quills of Scribing, scribe a scroll of Body Outside Body. Use the clones to queue up the Quills as a full round action, 0 cost / cloned XP. Profit.

I considered the Unbound Scroll PrC, but I just couldn't figure out a way to work it in, plus my build focuses more on wands with the wands than scrolls. But I also have the artisan feats which reduce gp and xp costs.

Ahus
2016-06-15, 05:57 AM
I considered the Unbound Scroll PrC, but I just couldn't figure out a way to work it in, plus my build focuses more on wands with the wands than scrolls. But I also have the artisan feats which reduce gp and xp costs.

The cheese here is more of a bypass for the one item per day rule, and generate free XP. Quills of Scribing finish scribing for you once you kick them off so it doesn't matter that the BOB clones don't last long enough to craft normally. With a couple cycles of quills crafting BOB scrolls you'll be crafting as many scrolls per day as you can afford quills. Have them knock out some scrolls of Simulacrum. Use the scrolls of Simulacrum and to create a bunch of coupes of yourself, all of whom can craft wands for you and retain essence on the excess scrolls.