PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Duodecstalt

JNAProductions
2016-06-14, 06:06 PM
Twelve classes. 20 Levels. Take the best of everything.

What would you build, and why?

2016-06-14, 06:17 PM
1) How does multiple casters work? Do we only get one spellcasting feature, or do we get all of them?

2) ASIs are class features, do we get those from every track?

2a) Is the attribute limit being raised?

3) Is homebrew on the table?

4) What kind of magic items do we have to work with?

4a) On a similar note, is the limit on attuned items being raised?

JNAProductions
2016-06-14, 06:19 PM
1) How does multiple casters work? Do we only get one spellcasting feature, or do we get all of them?

1-You get every set of casting.

2-Yup. So at level 4, you get 12 ASIs.

2a-Yis.

3-Make two builds-one with Brew, one without.

4-No magic items. Come on, you have TWELVE CLASSES!

4a-Nope.

JumboWheat01
2016-06-14, 06:46 PM
I would build Chuck Norris, and no further reason needs to be said.

JNAProductions
2016-06-14, 06:48 PM
I would build Chuck Norris, and no further reason needs to be said.

How? Butts

ruy343
2016-06-14, 06:50 PM
Off the cuff, I would probably just play a level 9 sorcerer, with the gamut of the other classes. My primary stats would likely be charisma, dex, and con, allowing me to take advantage of the barbarian's Constitution-to-AC bonus.

Why Sorcerer? The biggest reason is that I could convert my spare spell slots into sorcery points at will, allowing me to cast large numbers of higher-level spells or lower level spells as I needed. On the whole, I would have spell slots equivalent to a 12th level caster, which could be very useful. Typically, the downside of sorcerers is that they don't get a large number of spells, but this situation would definitely fix that... I might throw an extra level into paladin/ranger because of the boost those provide, the bonus hit points, and the spells that are gained that level (my overall level as a caster would be the same, but my durability/versatility would be a little higher).

My alternate choice would be to play a 9th level warlock + 11 levels of gamut. At that level, I'd get 2 5th level spell slots per rest, which I could throw into my lower-level spells as I saw fit (in addition to my 4 other caster levels), and I'd have a full-power eldritch blast to throw around (which is all that most warlocks do anyway).

JNAProductions
2016-06-14, 06:51 PM
Off the cuff, I would probably just play a level 9 warlock, with the gamut of the other classes. My primary stats would likely be charisma, dex, and con, allowing me to take advantage of the barbarian's Constitution-to-AC bonus.

Why Sorcerer? The biggest reason is that I could convert my spare spell slots into sorcery points at will, allowing me to cast large numbers of higher-level spells or lower level spells as I needed. On the whole, I would have spell slots equivalent to a 12th level caster, which could be very useful. Typically, the downside of sorcerers is that they don't get a large number of spells, but this situation would definitely fix that... I might throw an extra level into paladin/ranger because of the boost those provide, the bonus hit points, and the spells that are gained that level (my overall level as a caster would be the same, but my durability/versatility would be a little higher).

My alternate choice would be to play a 9th level warlock + 11 levels of gamut. At that level, I'd get 2 5th level spell slots per rest, which I could throw into my lower-level spells as I saw fit (in addition to my 4 other caster levels), and I'd have a full-power eldritch blast to throw around (which is all that most warlocks do anyway).

Urm... You HAVE to play Warlock. You actually have to play EVERY class.

ruy343
2016-06-14, 07:05 PM
Urm... You HAVE to play Warlock. You actually have to play EVERY class.

Wait, now I'm confused. I'm a 240th level character? I thought I was just 20th level character that had to take a level in each class.

JNAProductions
2016-06-14, 07:06 PM
Wait, now I'm confused. I'm a 240th level character? I thought I was just 20th level character that had to take a level in each class.

You're a 20th level character who's duodecstalt. As in each level, you get 12 classes, taking the best from each.

bid
2016-06-14, 07:43 PM
You're a 20th level character who's duodecstalt. As in each level, you get 12 classes, taking the best from each.
If you can switch classes every level, can you switch domain too?

For instance:
- level 1, one of the 12 classes is tempest cleric
- level 6, one of the 12 classes is nature cleric

And since we're pushing, can you take 2 domains of the same class at a single level?

It's kinda crazy too, you get 60 feats, but you only need 20ish to cap every stat.

JNAProductions
2016-06-14, 07:48 PM
If you can switch classes every level, can you switch domain too?

For instance:
- level 1, one of the 12 classes is tempest cleric
- level 6, one of the 12 classes is nature cleric

And since we're pushing, can you take 2 domains of the same class at a single level?

It's kinda crazy too, you get 60 feats, but you only need 20ish to cap every stat.

You're not switching classes. You get them all.

And yeah. It's a pretty crazy high powered ruling on ASIs.

Kane0
2016-06-14, 08:06 PM
I'd make a super-soldier.

Barbarian: Rage, reckless attack, unarmored AC
Fighter: 4 Attacks, battlemaster dice, action surge
Paladin: Use all those spell slots for smites, cha to saves
Monk: Death Monk to ignore death, prof in all saves
Rogue: Sneak attack, expertise, evasion/uncanny dodge
Bard: Self buffs and expertise
Wizard: Abjurer for more damage ablation
Warlock: Blade + Fiend for THP, resistance to final damage type hurl through hell and Cha to damage
Sorcerer: Twin/Quicken buffs or blast spells for moar damage
Druid: Change into another form if you happen to need more HP
Ranger: Hunter for more free damage
Cleric: I dunno, free heals/skills if needed? Excellent damage boost in the form of spiritual guardians

Str & Con primary, Dex and Cha secondary, Int and Wis tertiary. When you have enough for your liking start getting feats like polearm master, great weapon master, lucky, etc.

Biggest limitations:
Cant cast while raging (not that you have to be raging all the time)
Action economy (only one bonus action for buffs/extra attacks, only one reaction for damage mitigation or free swings)
resource management (so many moving parts!)
Concentration (no way to break the 1 at a time limit)

But I mean really, its pretty impressive. What kind of game would you play with such a character?

JNAProductions
2016-06-14, 08:08 PM
I'd make a super-soldier.

Barbarian: Rage, reckless attack, unarmored AC
Fighter: 4 Attacks, battlemaster dice, action surge
Paladin: Use all those spell slots for smites, cha to saves
Monk: Death Monk to ignore death, prof in all saves
Rogue: Sneak attack, expertise, evasion/uncanny dodge
Bard: Self buffs and expertise
Wizard: Abjurer for more damage ablation
Warlock: Blade + Fiend for THP, resistance to final damage type hurl through hell and Cha to damage
Sorcerer: Twin/Quicken buffs or blast spells for moar damage
Druid: Change into another form if you happen to need more HP
Ranger: Hunter for more free damage
Cleric: I dunno, free heals/skills if needed? Excellent damage boost in the form of spiritual guardians

Str & Con primary, Dex and Cha secondary, Int and Wis tertiary. When you have enough for your liking start getting feats like polearm master, great weapon master, lucky, etc.

Biggest limitations:
Cant cast while raging (not that you have to be raging all the time)
Action economy (only one bonus action for buffs/extra attacks, only one reaction for damage mitigation or free swings)
resource management (so many moving parts!)
Concentration (no way to break the 1 at a time limit)

But I mean really, its pretty impressive. What kind of game would you play with such a character?

To bolded bit one-No dur. :P You've got 12 classes, of course you're a supersoldier! But what specific subclasses would you do?

To the second bolded bit-a really, really OP game.

Pramxnim
2016-06-14, 08:20 PM
So do we get 1 archetype from each class then? I assume the number of spell slots you get don't change, so you'll end up with the normal number of slots for a full spellcaster, plus 4 Warlock spell slots and 4 Warlock Mystic Incarnum slots. You'll end up with 63 ASIs (12 every 4th lvl, 12 at 19th lvl, plus 3 from Fighter and Rogue) and no maximum stat limit so you can just pump your stats up to infinity and take any number of feats you like. You also get +4 Str and +4 Con from Barbarian 20.

With no magic items, the character would likely not wear any armor and take advantage of the Barb's Unarmored Defense for maximum AC. You'll be proficient in all saves from the Monk's Diamond Soul and can reroll saving throws out the wazoo. You also get Expertise in up to 8 skills (or 7 skills and Thieves' Tools). You can cast up to 2 9th lvl spells per day and can attack 4 times per turn.

Let's assume the character doesn't wear armor. First I'd look at the available feats (from the PHB only for now) and list out what might be useful:

Alert: +5 Init, can't be surprised. You already have advantage on Init rolls and high Dex, so this pretty much guarantees you'll go first
Athlete: The bonuses are minor, but it can be situationally useful
Actor: You have tons of spells and Expertise if you want to become a method actor, but some people might like that.
Charger: This feat is pretty much useless. Pass
Crossbow Expert: Heavy Crossbows deal the most damage for a ranged weapon and can apply Sneak Attack. It's a useful enough feat
Dual Wielder: TWF isn't the best when you already have 4 attacks per round. I'd give this one a pass
Dungeon Delver: Could be useful, but I think it's a bit mediocre when you already have spells that can do this
Durable: The feat is basically a +1 to Con, as the other benefit is minimal. Pass
Elemental Adept: Useful if you intend to be blasting people
Grappler: Basically useless. You won't need to waste time grappling people, and you can already gain advantage with the Barb's Reckless Attack
Great Weapon Master: Good for when you decide to wade into melee with your mighty Greataxe (to take advantage of Barb's Brutal Critical)
Healer: You have Lay on Hands already, and spell slots galore. This won't be needed
Inspiring Leader: Can grant 20+Cha mod temp hp, which is a bit piddly when you have 24+ Con and a D12 hit die. Pass
Lucky: Auto-include.
Mage Slayer: Pretty good feat against other spellcasters
Magic Initiate: You're already a master at magic, knowing pretty much all cantrips and spells, so you don't need this feat
Martial Adept: A single d6 Superiority die and 2 maneuvers is not worth a feat imo.
Mobile: This feat is made obsolete thanks to the Swashbuckler archetype. Pass if you want to be a Swashbuckler
Mounted Combatant: Useful if you intend to use the Find Steed spell. Otherwise, you can give this one a pass
Observant: Keeps you from ever being ambushed with a nifty +5 to passive Perception
Polearm Master: If you want to use a reach weapon this might be worth it along with Sentinel
Resilient: You're already proficient in all saving throws, pass.
Sentinel: Pretty good feat that allows you to keep enemies from escaping
Sharpshooter: Absolutely needed if you want to fight at range
Shield Master: Is nice if you ever find yourself using a Shield.
Skulker: For the aforementioned range fighters
Spell Sniper: Same as above
Tavern Brawler: There are much better things to do with your bonus action, and the rest of the feat's obsolete thanks to Monk
Tough: +40 Hp is always appreciated.
War Caster: Absolutely awesome if you're a spellcaster, which you are.

So there are about 13-17 feats that you might want to take, leaving 46-50 ASIs that you can put wherever you want. For stats, we'll want to focus on CHA > CON > DEX > WIS > STR > INT.

Charisma is the casting stat for 4 classes so it'll be our de-facto spellcasting stat.
Constitution adds to our Hp and AC, as well as important Con saves, so it's the 2nd priority.
Dexterity adds to our AC, Dex Saves, attack rolls with ranged and finesse weapons, as well as initiative.
Wisdom is our secondary casting stat (shared by 3 classes) and boosts the most important save of all.
Strength is great for attacks while raging, or ones with a 2-handed weapon, but we can already use Dex for attacks with a 1d10 weapon, so it is much less useful.
Intelligence boosts a rarely targeted save and only affects Wizard spellcasting, so we can safely dump it (and just pick up utility Wizard spells that don't care about saves or attack rolls).

For race:

Gnomes give advantage on Int, Wis and Cha saves vs. Magic, but also a +2 Int which isn't as useful
Halflings get the super important Lucky trait that drastically reduces the frequency of nat 1s. They're small so they can't wield heavy weapons, but that's a minor inconvenience
Half-Elf gives +2 Cha, +1 to two stats and some nice bonuses
Half-Orc is for the more martial inclined, adding an additional weapon die on crits

I personally prefer Halflings for their Lucky trait. Using 27 point buy, I'd assign starting scores as follows, going with the Lightfoot Halflings for more stealth shenanigans:

15 Dex +2
14 Con
13 Cha +1
12 Wis
10 Str
8 Int

For feats, I'll take: Alert, Athlete (+1 Dex), Actor (+1 Cha), Crossbow Expert, Elemental Adept (Fire), Lucky, Mage Slayer, Observant (+1 Wisdom), Sentinel, Sharpshooter, Skulker, Spell Sniper, Tough and War Caster.

That's 14 feats, leaving 49 ASIs left to go. Our stats are now

16 Dex
14 Con
15 Cha
13 Wis
10 Str
8 Int

With no limits on stats, I'd just pump all stats to 20 (for a well-rounded generalist) except Str at 16 (it'll be 20 after the Barbarian bonus). This will use up 20 ASIs. With the remaining 29, I'll put them equally into Cha Dex and Con. We'll end up with:

40 Dex (12 ASIs)
40 Con (11 ASIs, +4 Con from Barb)
40 Cha (12 ASIs)
20 Wis (4 ASIs)
20 Str (3 ASIs)
20 Int (6 ASIs)
Total: 48 ASis

The stats look nice here, so I'll probably pick up another feat, maybe Dual Wield or Shield Master.

Next let's look at subclasses. Personally I'd go with the following subclasses:

Barbarian: Path of the Totem Warrior (Bear, Eagle, Wolf) to provide myself with a long range scouting ability that doesn't use up a spell slot, resist all but psychic damage and a minor bonus at level 14
Bard: College of Lore: College of Valor and College of Swords provide martial abilities already covered by other classes. Plus this archetype gives more Peerless Skill, which can allow me to achieve crazy feats without using magic.
Cleric: War domain for Divine Strike, resistance to nonmagical damage and Guided Strike.
Druid: Circle of the Moon for the improved wildshape and a nigh-infinite temp hp pool.
Fighter: Champion for the Improved Crit range which has synergy with a lot of other classes' abilities.
Monk: Way of Shadow or Way of the Long Death. Way of Shadow plays into the stealthy Halfling archetype, while Way of the Long Death provides temp hp and a super reliable way to escape death.
Paladin: Oath of the Ancients provides Resistance to spell damage and another way of not dying.
Ranger: Hunter, because compared to the character's godly might, a lowly beast is but a tax on action economy and a waste of time.
Rogue: Swashbuckler adds Charisma to Initiative, allowing me to always act first, and it also allows me to dart in and out of combat while attacking with a melee weapon
Sorcerer: Draconic is nice for the +20 Hp and fly speed, Tempest for Immunity to Lightning/Thunder and fly speed.
Warlock: Pact of the Blade to make my melee weapons magical when I don't feel like punching people or casting spells. Archfey archetype for a nice Misty Escape every short rest and immunity to Charmed. Will get Foresight as the 9th level Mystic Arcanum so I can have it up every day
Wizard: Probably Abjuration to make it easier to fight other spellcasters (I get to add my proficiency bonus to Counterspell checks). Abjuration Ward also doesn't need Wizard spells and isn't Temp hp. Divination is also potent thanks to Portent.

All in all, the character is pretty beastly. It has +15 Cha, Con and Dex mods, 40 AC before any buffs, a DC 29 saving throw on most spells (DC 19 on Wizard, Cleric, Druid and Ranger spells), a whopping +41 to initiative (+15 Dex, +15 Cha, +5 Alert, +3 Jack of All Trades, +3 Remarkable Athlete), an average hp of 485, and the following saving throw bonuses:

Str, Wis, Int of +26
Dex, Con, Cha of +36

And the ability to reroll any failed saves, up to 20 times (the amount of Ki available).
The character almost never dies, even when it drops to 0 hit points, as long as it has Ki available (and one additional time from Oath of Ancients Paladin) or if it's raging, as long as it can keep making Con saves.

The character has 4 attacks per turn, its attack bonus is +21 (+23 for ranged attacks), and it deals 1[W] + Dex + 2d8 (Cleric Divine Strike) + 1d8 (Paladin Improved Divine Smite) + 1d8 (Hunter Ranger's Colossus Slayer) on one attack, with a 18-20 crit range and +10d6 sneak attack damage once per turn. Every attack is made with advantage thanks to Foresight cast from the Warlock's Mystic Arcanum slot, leaving the possibility of casting other 9th level spells.

The character's access to all spell lists results in a staggering amount of spells known. There is a spell for every occasion, and even when stuck in an anti-magic barrier, the character can still kick everyone's ass. There is almost no way of keeping this character down through cc. The only method is to drain its 485 Hp pool constantly while struggling to hit the 40 AC, and somehow fighting through the massive amount of temporary HP and Abjuration Ward that refreshes with each combatant the character kills. Even if you somehow drop the character to 0 hps, it has more than ample chances to survive and teleport out or just healing right back up.

The character can be proficient in almost, if not all skills, with insanely high checks for each one of them (a minimum bonus of +8 (3 from Jack of All Trades + 5 from stat mod)), and advantage on every single check.

JNAProductions
2016-06-14, 08:21 PM
Stat cap is in place.

Pramxnim
2016-06-14, 08:25 PM
Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna

1-You get every set of casting.

2-Yup. So at level 4, you get 12 ASIs.

2a-Yis.

3-Make two builds-one with Brew, one without.

4-No magic items. Come on, you have TWELVE CLASSES!

4a-Nope.

I had assumed from answer 2a that you're raising the stat cap. Otherwise the character would have:

24 Str
20 Dex
24 Con
20 Int
20 Wis
20 Cha

And all feats learned.

JNAProductions
2016-06-14, 08:27 PM
Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna

I had assumed from answer 2a that you're raising the stat cap. Otherwise the character would have:

24 Str
20 Dex
24 Con
20 Int
20 Wis
20 Cha

And all feats learned.

Ah. I meant to say no-not sure how I got confused there.

But yeah, stat caps are in place. It's mostly just a matter of spell selection and subclasses.

Pramxnim
2016-06-14, 08:40 PM
Since stat caps are in place, I just have to adjust a couple of character stats, but the build would remain the same as above. I.e. Lightfoot Halfling (for Lucky), the following subclasses:

Totem Warrior Barb: Bear, Eagle, Wolf
College of Lore Bard
War Domain Cleric
Circle of the Moon Druid
Champion Fighter
Way of the Long Death Monk
Oath of the Ancients Paladin
Hunter Ranger: Colossus Slayer, Multiattack Defense, Volley, Stand Against the Tide
Swashbuckler Rogue
Storm Sorcerer
Archfey Warlock with Pact of the Blade

Stats: 24 Str, 20 Dex, 24 Con, 20 Int, 20 Wis, 20 Cha
Saving throws:
+18 Str, Con
+16 Dex, Int, Wis, Cha

Initiative bonus: +21 (5 Alert, 5 Dex, 5 Cha, 3 Jack of All Trades, 3 Remarkable Athlete)

Fighting style: Long range sniper with a Light Crossbow or short range with a Pact weapon Shortsword (it deals 1d10 damage thanks to Monk). Can make up to 6 attacks at long range thanks to Swift Quiver or up to 6 attacks in melee thanks to Flurry of Blows.
On every attack deal +1d8 radiant damage (Improved Divine Smite).
Once per turn deal +1d8 (Colossus Hunter) +2d8 (Cleric's Divine Strike) +10d6 (Sneak Attack).
On crits deal +4d8 damage (with Crossbow) or +4d10 damage (with Pact weapon Shortsword or Unarmed Strike).
Melee attacks are magical for ignoring resistance or immunity.

Attack bonus: +13 melee, +13 range

Skill proficiency: 3 from Skilled, 4 from Rogue, 1 from Bard multiclass, 1 from Ranger multiclass, 3 from College of Lore, 2 from Background. Only nonproficient in 5 skills.
Skill bonus: +8 for nonproficient skills.
Minimum check result for proficient skills is 10+5+6 = 21
Minimum check result for Athletics is 24 (Barbarian feature).

EDIT: JNAProductions pointed out that Improved Divine Smite is on every attack.

RickAllison
2016-06-14, 08:42 PM

So essentially you have the features of all classes, but which archetypes are you taking? I will just assume that with that many ASIs, I will have max stats so I won't be bad in any one thing.

Off my cuff, I would want to make a melee build. You get the number of attacks of a fighter, but use the bonuses of other classes to help out. Also, lightning and thunder, cause why not?

The Thunderous Stampede:

Moon Druid. Turn into really big and powerful creatures to use Extra Attack with, like the Mammoth.
Eldritch Knight Fighter. Yes, I would love to combine Eldritch Strike with Feeblemind and other debuffs, thank you.
Totem Barbarian. Bear totem (lots of resistance, yay!), Bear aspect (lots of capcity), Elk attunement (depending on ruling of how it interacts with size changes. If it does change with size, my massive forms can auto-prone the strongest creatures. If it doesn't, I can render prone Large enemies as an insect!).
Lore Bard. Cutting Words and Peerless Skill. 'Nuff said.
Tempest Cleric. Yay, storm!
Long Death Monk. Temporary hit points when I kill, AoE fear, the ability to say "No" to being reduced to 0 hp, and a decent assassination ability that doesn't need a hit to take effect. Oh, and all of the abilities work just fine as an animal or in armor.
Oath of the Crown. I am super tank-y with lots of health. I get a reaction that lets me substitute my health for an ally's. Fantastic!
Hunter Ranger. Whirlwind Attack. Become a Huge creature, get surrounded by numerous people who think they are boxing me in. Laugh as they are attacked by a giant scorpion/mammoth.
Swashbuckler Rogue. I have four hits to land a Sneak Attack, not needing advantage is great! Alternatively, go Thief for the absolute destruction at high levels of 17 mammoth attacks in the first round (for a whopping 502.5 possible average damage.
Storm Sorcerer. Flying mammoth!!! Also, great effects for lightning and thunder spells. Definitely grab Extended Spell for summons.
Fey Warlock, Chain. Just seemed appropriate. Devil's Sight, EB invocations, Otherworldly Leap (for Steeder jumping), Visions of Distant Realms, etc.
Conjuration Wizard. At the highest levels, I can summon 32 elk, wolves, or draft/riding horses, all with 2.5X normal hp. Now this is a real stampede!!!

That about covers it. You have a flying mammoth that goes along with a small army of sturdy animals as companions. His damage just going along is around 158 to 176 per turn. Plus, he's a mammoth.

Edit: Thanks, JNA! I completely forgot about smites! So his at-will damage is 163 to 181 and his burst damage will be ridiculous.

Naanomi
2016-06-14, 08:43 PM
How do skills work, are we just proficient in everything?

Do we get all the HP or just the best?

JNAProductions
2016-06-14, 08:43 PM
Improved Divine Smite is on every attack.

2016-06-14, 09:23 PM
Didn't realize the stat cap was still in place. Now I either have to figure out what to do with my 30 new feats, or just shrug and stop working on the build, since somebody else has basically done what I would do with the stat cap in place already.

JNAProductions
2016-06-14, 09:23 PM
Just focus on what you'd do with homebrew in place.

RickAllison
2016-06-14, 09:32 PM
Another one: Eternal Minionmancer

The big groups:

Undying Warlock. Age 10X slower, no longer require food, water, or sleep (so short rests to plug out lots of 5th level slots!), reattach body parts, and Death Ward to cover your bases. Chain pact to have your first helper. Gives you the extra slots to manage your army.

Moon Druid. Age 10X slower (again!) and gain some bulky forms to keep you alive. Really, this is just for the extra hp. Also, Conjure Animals gives you more minions, but more importantly mounts for your army.

Long Death Monk. Choose not to die, gain temporary hp for kills. Health and cheating death, perfect.

Oathbreaker Paladin. Aura of Hate gives my undead minions extra damage (easily 8 at level 7, and a small army at level 18). Also, make friends with more powerful undead! Finally, Find Steed for your fiendish horse.

Death Cleric. More flavor than anything, but fun!

Necromancer Wizard. Here is where we get another power up for our minions. With the +proficiency to damage, our legions of undead minions dole out somewhere between +8 and +10 damage. Also, this gives a second method to capture extra-powerful undead.

Beastmaster Ranger. Our final minion.

Lesser classes:

Totem Barbarian. Wolf totem (let all your suped-up undead have advantage on their attacks), elk aspect (keep your main undead forces down to 10 and your army can travel at double riding horse speed and then double it again by galloping (if using Conjure Animals for mounts, it is best to keep only eight undead around). That gives your main squad a traveling speed of 32 MPH (regular fast travel speed is 4 mph, riding horses are twice as fast, galloping is twice as fast, and Elk is twice speed again)), and Bear attunement (protect your minions).

Lore Bard. Valor doesn't give you much.

Champion Fighter. While BM gives better support for your minions, and Banneret could better help your big guys, the combination of Long Death Monk features with the regeneration of the Champion should do a good job of keeping this build safely in the black for hp.

Swashbuckler Rogue. With this, I can reduce the likelihood my minions will be attacked while they focus fire and I have the combination of massive hp, AC, regen, and death-defiance to tank it.

Draconic Sorcerer. Flight and extra hp, that's pretty much why we have this archetype.

So there we go, much faster than the first one.

Xetheral
2016-06-14, 10:22 PM
Edit: This build probably definitely doesn't actually work as written below. The problem with this scenario is that there are so many rules interactions between the different class features, it's hard to keep them straight. Some of it works, some of it doesn't.

(Note: This character relies upon permitting monks to treat monk weapons as finesse weapons, a common ruling but contrary to Sage Advice. Without this ruling, instead use a Quarterstaff and a Shortsword, opportunity attacks from PAM won't trigger Sneak Attack, but character is otherwise the same.)

Race: Lightfoot Halfling (For Lucky) or Wood Elf (For 7000 year life span)

Subclasses Barbarian: Totem (Bear, Eagle, Bear) Bard: Lore Cleric: War Domain Druid: Moon Fighter: Battlemaster Monk: Long Death Paladin: Devotion Ranger: Hunter (Horde Breaker, Multiattack Defense, Whirlwind Attack, Stand Against the Tide) Rogue: Thief Sorcerer: Storm Warlock: Blade/Fiend Wizard: Bladesinger

Combat Synopsis

Weapon: Quarterstaff
Initiative: d20 + d12 (Peerless Skill) + 5 (Dex) + 3 (Jack of All Trades) + 5 (Alert) + Advantage (Feral Instinct) = d20+d12+13 with Advantage (Avg. 33.325)
AC: 10 (Base) + 5 (Dex) + 7 (Constitution) + 5 (Bladesong) +2 (Shield) = 29
Concentration: 6 (Proficiency) + 7 (Constitution) + 5 (Aura of Protection) + 5 (Bladesong) + Advantage (War Caster) = +23 with Advantage

First Round
Bonus Action: Start Bladesong
Action: Cast Haste
Action Surge: Activate Sacred Weapon
Move: towards maximum concentration of opponents
Haste Action: Whirlwind Attack with Reckless Attack, Stunning Blow, Sneak Attack, Divine Strike, Divine Smite, Trip Attack (Attack: 6 (Proficiency) + 7 (Strength) + 5 (Charisma) = +18 with Advantage, Damage: d10 (Martial Arts) + 7 (Strength) + 5 (Lifedrinker) + 5 (Bladesong) + 2 (Dueling) + 2d8 (Divine Strike) + 1d8 (Improved Divine Smite) + 5d8 (Divine Smite) + 1d8 (Trip Attack) + 10d6 (Sneak Attack) = d10 + 9d8 + 10d6 + 19 (Avg. 100 per target))
No Action: Horde Breaker Attack with Reckless Attack, Divine Smite (Attack: +18 with Advantage, Damage: d10+6d8+19 (Avg. 51.5))
Thief Bonus Action: Activate Tunnel Fighting
Thief Action: Cast Nastiest Spell Available or Attack x4 (Attack: +18 with Advantage, Damage: d10+6d8+19 (Avg. 51.5))
Thief Action Surge: Cast Nastiest Spell Available or Attack x4 (Attack: +18 with Advantage, Damage: d10+6d8+19 (Avg. 51.5))
Thief Haste Action: Whirlwind Attack with Reckless Attack, Stunning Blow, Sneak Attack, Divine Strike, Divine Smite, Trip Attack (Attack: +18 with Advantage, Damage: d10 + 9d8 + 10d6 + 19 (Avg. 100 per target))
Thief No Action: Horde Breaker Attack with Reckless Attack, Divine Smite (Attack: +18 with Advantage, Damage: d10+6d8+19 (Avg. 51.5))
Thief Move: Move away from opponents, taking opportunity attacks from non-stunned opponents

Enemies' Turns
No Action (Unlimited): Opportunity Attack against all who move adjacent (from PAM) with Reckless Attack, Stunning Blow, Sneak Attack (Attack: +18 with Advantage, Damage: d10 + 6d8 + 10d6 + 19 (Avg. 86.5 per target))
Reaction (1/rnd): Shield or Opportunist or Song of Defense or Riposte or Booming Blade (via Warcaster on non-PAM Opportunity Attack)

2nd and Later Turns
Bonus Action: Activate Tunnel Fighting
Action: Cast Nastiest Spell Available
Move: towards enemy concentration
Haste Action: Whirlwind Attack with Reckless Attack, Stunning Blow, Sneak Attack, Divine Strike, Divine Smite, Trip Attack (Attack: +18 with Advantage, Damage: d10 + 89d8 + 10d6 + 19 (Avg. 100 per target))
No Action: Horde Breaker Attack with Reckless Attack, Divine Smite (Attack: +18 with Advantage, Damage: d10+6d8+19 (Avg. 51.5))

If you get in trouble, use standard Onion Druid tactics--arguably can still fight with quarterstaff in Earth Elemental form (and with greater reach!). Use Precise Strike and/or Guided Strike to turn missed attacks into hits. Depending on how DM interprets Horde Breaker's interaction with Whirlwind Attack, use Lunging Strike if necessary.

Variant: Use a Hand Crossbow and a Quarterstaff, Take Volley instead of Whirlwind Attack, Use Sharpshooter. Results in lower attack bonuses and AC but higher damage, and more flexibility with attacks. Use Object Interaction (Drop/Pickup Quarterstaff) for reloading.

Ghost Nappa
2016-06-14, 10:52 PM
Edit: This build probably definitely doesn't actually work as written below. The problem with this scenario is that there are so many rules interactions between the different class features, it's hard to keep them straight. Some of it works, some of it doesn't.

This.

Barbarian:

Advantage on Initiative is nice.
Always take the Barbarian's Unarmored Defense over the Monk's. You get to use shields with it, and it gets a higher AC with the capstone.

Because of the Barbarian's Capstone your Constitution is 24, your AC is a minimum of 22 in your birthday suit (10 + DEX + CON => 10 + 5 + 7). You have 19d12+152 HP or 171 to 348 HP because of the Barb's HD.

Because of the Barb's "Fast Movement," we have another reason to never use Heavy Armor.

Despite all of the melee benefits to Rage, there's nothing we can do to cast during it, and spellcasting is far more versatile than Raging in melee. We still want a really good melee weapon on hand.

I'm going to say to go Totem Warrior. I've never liked Berserker.

Bard:

Bard gives you a lot of abilities to buff and support others, but I'm mostly thinking to go Lore Bard for the Expertise benefits. Bard actually seems to be one of the weaker aspects of the character because everything is contributing to it. I guess if there's a class that has a lot of exclusive spells but not a lot of picks you could use the Bard picks to fill up your spelllist that way. Sorcerer maybe? +3 to Initative AND Advantage from Barb is nice.

Cleric:
I'm inclined to say the Life Domain because I honestly don't know which spells are cleric exclusive and I since most of the healing spells wind up there, I'd say pick them up here so that you can use all of the other classes' benefits on everything else.

Druid: This is dependent a bit. Can you rage while wild shaped? Do attacks in beastform count as melee weapon attacks? As Unarmed Strikes? If you can make the case that Wild Shape Beast forms are a good melee alternative in a pinch, then you could rock Circle of the Moon.

But on paper, I think Circle of the Land is better. Again, I don't know which list has more Druid exclusive spells.
I'd rather trust in the variety of spellcasting options that be unsure if all of my class features allow me to attack in melee effectively.

Fighter: Eldritch Knight. I originally wanted to say Champion for the second fighting style and better crits, but that only applies to weapon attacks. The selling features on Eldritch Knight are Improved War Magic and Arcane Charge. The real best part of Fighter is the best Extra Attack.

Again, if all of the melee buffs stack with each, then the best course of action is to shapeshift into a very dexterous animal and claw their eyes out. Between Barbarian rages, Monk Martial Arts, Champion and Barbarian crit buffs, Paladin smites, sneak attacks... jeez you could nova stuff with kitty paws.

Monk: Proficiency in all saving throws, Immunity to Disease and Poison, you don't need to eat or drink, you can't be aged magically, you can catch projectiles... I gotta say Shadow Monk. GOTTA GO FAST.

Four Elements is...no. And Open Hand only has one thing that it's selling me on and that's Quivering Palm. Always loved the Teleportation and such.

As long as we're unarmored, we're now have a speed of 75-85 feet, minimum, depending on race.
We're actually upgrading the weapon die on simple weapons, shortswords, and our fists to 1d10 as well.

Paladin: Not only are we adding Proficiency to our saves, we're adding Charisma to that too. That means our saves are:

STR: +18
DEX: +16
CON: +18
INT: +16
WIS: +16
CHA: +16

Between Fighter and Monk we also have several ways to reroll if we mess up. Don't really know what Oath to pick.

Ranger: Always Hunter. I'm not interested in Halfling -> Bear riding Bear shenanigans right now.

Rogue: Tough choice, just not Mastermind. Maybe Arcane Trickster or Assassin? I could stand to think about this more.

Sorcerer: Stormborn for the free double resist to lightning/thunder and some random free flying. Draconic is a second pick for more consist flying.

Warlock: I would say Great Old one and either Pact of the Chain/Blade because of the spell list and limited Telepathy. Always take the Devil's Sight invocation to see through Magical Darkness, which you now have several means of creating, and abusing.

Eldritch Spear, Repelling Blast, Agonizing Blast for the best attacking cantrip in the game.

Ascendant Step, Lifedrinker/Voice of the Chain Master, Visions of Distant Realms, and Witch Sight, and Master of Myriad Forms; Choose Four.

Wizard: Illusionist, Diviner, or Abjurer. Maybe Bladesinger Elf if you care about your AC more.

Get a Sunblade and make it your Warlock Pact Weapon/EK Weapon Bond. Buff yourself up with non-centration spells like Freedom of Movement and Foresight, win Initiative, And then Sneak Attack Undead for a metric ton of radiant damage.

Unless you're picking Bldesinger for Wizard or Battlerager for Barbarian (which I don't know enough about to recommend) your race is largely dependent on what gives the best non-stat bonuses. I might actually recommend Half-Orc for the 1/long rest endure lethal blows and crit buffs, but there's a LOT of stuff going on.

Dimers
2016-06-14, 11:12 PM
But what specific subclasses would you do?

I'm assuming that a dodecastalt would face equally ridiculously OP foes, and I'm assuming the character is in a party rather than solo.

Race: Gnome is probably ideal for advantage on saves, but I have an irrational and deep dislike of gnomes. Halfling is also optimal and personally undesirable. Hill dwarf for hit points and poison protection? Nahhh, I'll take water genasi, for aquatic operations and acid resistance.

Barbarian: totem because it adds the most that isn't related to rage. For level 6, elk totem for speedy travel for a whole group (it combos well with ranger travel bennies).
Bard: lore, for expertise, penalizing enemies and boosting your ability checks.
Cleric: Knowledge domain for mind control, Expertise and visions.
Druid: Circle of the Fist, definitely. Extra hit points and channeling spells with punch hits! That's easily your best melee style. Unarmored and unarmed, punching for up to 6 attacks per round (fighter Extra Attack plus flurry), each hit channeling a damage spell that automatically hits too. And since Strength becomes your casting stat for druid/cleric/ranger spells, that gets a boost from barbarian when you hit 20th.
Fighter: I'd like to say Champion for making the most of barbarian super-crits, but no, Purple Dragon for extra party attacks/healing/saves, plus another Expertise.
Monk: depends on the party. Open Hand gives battlefield control and an extra way to kill something without sawing through its hit points, which the party might need more of in a face-to-face fight. Sneaky tactical parties who complement each others' abilities would benefit more from Shadow. Well, since I'm not going halfling for easy hiding, let's say Open Hand.
Paladin: Devotion for immunity to fear/possession from weird critters and whole-party immunity to charm.
Ranger: hunter with colossus slayer, multiattack defense, volley, and of course stand against the tide (since you get evasion and uncanny dodge already).
Rogue: A very tough call. Swashbuckler for initiative, less-restrictive Sneak Attack, taunt mechanism and attack reroll? Arcane trickster for disadvantage on lots of spell saves and the ability to steal one 9th-level spell per day? I don't see this as primarily a spellcasting build, so Imma go swashbuckler.
Sorcerer: Another tough call because wild sorc can twist fortune around. But at this level of play, you don't want to risk the weirdness of surges. I'll take storm sorc, for fly speed that can be granted to the whole party and resistance/immunity to a couple damage types. Storm is good for a water genasi anyway.
Warlock: chain pact for a little friend with useful abilities. Chthulock for telepathy, early access to all languages, psychic resistance and immunity to mindreading. Create thrall can be fun too.
Wizard: bladesinger for demented melee bonuses.

Socratov
2016-06-15, 04:44 AM
Features I would actively use and seek out:

Goliath - for the damage reduction racial ability, you are going to need it sometime

barbarian: get unarmored defense, reckless attacks and the movespeed increase as well as the imrpioved critical, incidentally, take both Dex and Con ASI's for great AC The rest is useless since you need rage pretty much to pull it off. also, str is useless since you don't need it for attacks (going for Dex), nor for armour. use Reckless Attacks all the time it doesn't matter since you gonna boost dex and con anyway for massive HP and massive AC. Also, one class (at least) will give you the shield spell as a reaction so you are going to only get hit by criticals.
Bard: You don't need Valor Bard's martialness with fighter, barbarian and paladin mixed in, so lore bard for the extra skills and spells. More spells == more better :smallamused: also, the cutting words feature is just too juicy when struck with an attack
cleric: Take the War domain for that great feature of +10 on an attack roll. also, the bonus attack on a cast is pretty nice
Druid: land druid, doesn't really matter which
Fighter: hitting won't really be a problem (thanks to sky high dex+con), but damage is pretty nice from a battlemaster, though chamption is nice too I guess... take the duelling style
Monk: I'm not great at monk, but I think Shadow would be fun for the teleporting stuff and such.
Paladin: smite everything. it doesn't really matter which
rogue: take the Asassin,
Ranger: no clue what to take from this...
Sorcerer: use twin to get a great buff on yourself and on someone else. and go to town. You don't have actions laying around and if you waste actions you are not trying. Twin is great for a buff up thing, but ultimately buff and use the 4 attacks with your rapier, so metamagics are twin, empower and quicken
Warlock: pact of the blade, fiend pact warlock: now you have the defences to keep it up and go to town.
wizard: divination tradition so you can portent crits away

for ASI's: take the following feats: Alert, Lucky, Warcaster, Sentinel (last 2 to get AoO's and to cast cantrips), spell sniper (for range you don't want to get cover in you way), mobility and the rest in Dex/Con equally, so that starts dex/con at 15/16, so that means at lvl 4 dex/con 22/21, lvl 6: 24/21: lvl 8: 36/33, lvl 10: 36/35, lvl 12: 48/47, lvl 14: 50/47, lvl 16: 62/59. lvl 18: 62/61, lvl 19: 74/73, lvl 20 74/77, you will always be able to concentrate so get any buff you like, through stealth you are practically unseen, and you will go firstin a great many cases and surprise the enemy, going for a critical sneak/smite that will most certainly hit, going for an action surge for (excluding buffs) 8 atacks, (assuming they hit):

8d10 short sword (d10 'cause monk)
+8d12 damage from battlemaster
+20d6 sneak attack
+12d8 smite (for crit)
+42d8 smite (on other attacks)
+256 dexmod
+32 rage
+16 duelling
that is on average (if they all hit):

669 dmg

a modest DC46 consave to not die (if the damage wasn't enough already), and the goliath can move in, attack and out to hide (cunning action) and do it again if neccessary. And then there is magic and all that stuff to truly mess with the enemy. and if the enemy does detect him, he has an AC of 75, the ability to mitigate damage by half (after resistance), and a whopping 825 HP and use evasion and such.

any buff that gives additional attacks or additional actions are great (like Haste) as they increase the initial volley with 4 attacks per volley (made at advantage).

Edit: short sword instead of rapier for monk d10's, added duelling damage

djreynolds
2016-06-15, 06:36 AM
Duodecstalt?

You know I like the thread, but I can throw in another topic with it.

What 17th-18th level abilities would you exchange if you could.

I never realized that wizard basically never runs out of the shield spell.

TheFlyingCleric
2016-06-15, 06:49 AM
Duodecstalt?

You know I like the thread, but I can throw in another topic with it.

What 17th-18th level abilities would you exchange if you could.

I never realized that wizard basically never runs out of the shield spell.

Shield every round as your reaction, Misty step with your bonus action, cantrip with your action. Never stop casting.
Ridiculously good feature.

Rysto
2016-06-15, 09:04 AM
8d8 rapier

Use a shortsword. The Monk's martial arts feature makes a hit from a shortsword do 1d10 damage, and sneak attack still applies. The one disadvantage is that you have to give up a shield.

Also, I don't think that you can break the ability cap of 20, so attack using strength instead (the Barbarian can get you up to 24 strength).

Also, take the dueling fighting style and add +2 damage to all of your hits.

2016-06-15, 09:47 AM
It was suggested I look into using homebrew to create some monstrosity.

Here is that monster: Amber, the Grim Reaper's number two.

Character Sheet: No spells are marked yet, but she's got 5 full casters worth of spells. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=846608)

Race: Gravetouched (Eidolon), previously Human (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?378396-The-Book-of-the-(Not-So)-Dead-Undead-Options-for-5e-PCs-(PEACH))

Background: Entertainer

Attributes: 28/22/30/20/22/22

Class A: Barbarian (Sacrier (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?432365-Barbarian-Archetype-Sacrier))
Class B: Bard (Lore)
Class C: Cleric (Death)
Class D: Fighter (Champion)
Class E: Monk (Shadow)
Class F: Paladin (Oathbreaker)
Class G: Rogue (Swashbuckler)
Class H: Sorcerer (Ethereal-Touched) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?408753-New-Sorcerous-Origin-Ethereal-Touched)
Class I: Warlock (Death (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?426107-Pact-of-the-Death(Warlock-Patron))/Blade)
Class J: Wizard (Bladesinger)
Class K: Adeptus Astartes of Chaos (Khorne) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?487894-Adeptus-Astartes-of-Chaos-Base-Class)
Class L: Bulwark (Unkillable) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?422849-Bulwark-(PEACH-WIP))

Fighting Styles: Dueling/Mariner/Weightless Warrior (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?474297-Fighting-Styles-(PEACH))/Striking (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?404317-New-Fighting-Style-Striking-Microbrew-PEACH)

Invocations: Devil's Sight/Beguiling Influence (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?401058-Let-the-Warlock-shine-improved-invocations-and-other-changes)/Charismatic Blessing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?474295-Homebrew-Invocations-(PEACH))/Eldritch Sight/Whispers Of The Grave/Lifedrinker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?401058-Let-the-Warlock-shine-improved-invocations-and-other-changes)/Master Of Myriad Forms/Bladebound (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?401058-Let-the-Warlock-shine-improved-invocations-and-other-changes)

Feats: Alert/Athlete (Str)/Actor (Cha)/Defensive Duelist/Dungeon Delver/Durable (Con)/Elemental Adept (all 5)/Grappler/Healer/Inspiring Leader/Keen Mind (Int)/Linguist (Int)/Lucky/Mage Slayer/Magic Initiate/Martial Adept/Mobile/Observant (Int)/Savage Attacker/Sentinel/Skilled/Skulker/Spell Sniper/Tavern Brawler (Str)/Tough/War Caster/Expert Scout (Wis) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?397139-A-New-Feat-Expert-Scout)/Hard To Kill (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?412044-New-Feats-(Design-Balance))/Cut-Throat (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?449250-Cut-throat-feat-5e)/Dancing Blade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?410757-Warriors-of-Renown-New-options-for-fighters!)/Fencing Master (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19219652&postcount=6)/Calculated Striker (Int)/Quick Thinker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?474705-Intelligent-Character-Options-PEACH)Adeptus Astartes Of Chaos can get up to 22 with their ASIs, and their capstone lets them upgrade 2 stats to a max of 24; Barbarian adds 4 to Str/Con and to their max scores, and Unkillable Bulwark adds 2 points to Con and max Con; since I only have 5 ASIs from the AAoC, I can only get 5 stats to 22 before that pile of capstones boost Str and Con to 28 and 30, so I decided to short-change Intelligence...not that a 20 is terrible by any means. And I still had enough ASIs left over to take every feat, both 1st party and homebrew, that I had any interest in.

Amber will generally be cruising through the sky, flying at 180 ft per round, with her only running buff spell being an Extended Foresight; if she wants to really ramp up (like, to catch a dragon or something), she'll amp things up using her Action and Bonus Action to Dash, giving her 540 ft fly speed (~60 mph) for as long as she can manage it. Only reason she's not going 540 all the time is because, as I understand it, you can only Dash for so many rounds in a row, based on your Con, and you accumulate exhaustion levels for doing so beyond your limit; of course, Amber has Con 30 and ignores any exhaustion that wouldn't kill her, so she could Dash for quite some time, but I guess she'd have to eventually stop. Bladesong gives her base speed 10, which turns to +20 for her fly speed, and Haste would double it, so her actual top speed would be something like 1200 ft per round if she was really booking it.

So yeah, Amber is just cruising along, minding her own business, when suddenly she sees the Tarrasque on the horizon; figuring it'll give her something to do, she flies over (turning on Haste and Bladesong on the way). At this point, she should still be unseen by the Tarrasque, hovering somewhere 400 ft away. Next turn, she uses "Feel My Pain!" to deal 35 damage to herself (whether this should be subject to her DR 16 and resistance to all damage is up for debate), giving all her attacks this turn +7d6 damage (and triggering "I Love It!"); she then flies down to the Tarrasque (now in melee with Big T) and uses an Action Surge and her Haste Action to make 9 attacks this round. Sneak Attack and Divine Strike will be attached to the first crit.

9 attacks at advantage, +19 vs AC 25, crits on 18-20, with hit/crit damage being 3d10+2d8+7d6+44 and 9d10+4d8+14d6+44 respectively...it doesn't look good for Bit T. In fact, given the numbers we're looking at, it's probably not too surprising that Big T dies in that first round: we're talking a 98.9996% chance of the Tarrasque getting solo'd in a single round. Of course, if "Feel My Pain!" isn't activated, it wouldn't activate "I Love It!" either...and if we took out Haste and Bladesong, that DPR goes way down. So what would it take to kill this character?

Amber has, with Bladesong active, AC 37, 385 HP, DR 16 (applying to everything), resistance to all damage, immunity to poison, Regeneration 10, proficiency+Cha mod to all saves, advantage on Concentration saves, and tons of spell slots for healing herself; if you manage to knock her down below half health (a difficult venture), her Regeneration kicks up to 40, meaning that continuing to damage her requires consistent DPR 98+ against AC 37 with disadvantage to attack...and that's assuming the only active defense is Bladesong, she could easily throw a Haste on there. Hell, to even hurt her with a single attack, you need to deal at least 17 damage to get past the DR. But lets say that you and your small army of assassins manage to get the drop on her with Oathbows and several Arrows Of Slaying, and you knock her down to 0 HP; she doesn't fall unconscious and keeps fighting until she fails 6 death saves (which she makes with advantage and succeeds on a 9 or higher); if necessary, she has either 3 or 8 uses of Indomitable, as well as 20 ki points to use with Diamond Soul, as well as 3 Lucky dice, all of which can be used for rerolls.

And this barely touches on how she casts as a 20th level Lore Bard, Death Cleric, Oathbreaker Paladin, Ethereal-Touched Sorcerer, Death/Blade Warlock, and Bladsinger Wizard; I haven't figured out what all spells I'd know/prepare (partially because I could save myself a lot of time by just handwaving it and saying "basically anything", especially since I don't need to be super-precise since this won't see actual ply), but that's not a huge problem.

Note: This build is only as ridiculous as it is because there's no DM to tell me what homebrew would and wouldn't be allowed. Certain things I selected are naturally OP, but others are only overpowered because they're being combined in way they couldn't normally be combined, and the result is near enough as broken as I thought it would be when I started making it several hours ago.

RickAllison
2016-06-15, 09:54 AM
The Freight Train!

Start with Goliath as the chassis for his 2X capacity.

Primary Classes:

Totem Barbarian. Bear, elk, elk The aspect is a tough one, as we could take bear for doubled carrying capacity, but elk gives us doubled travel time (thus the same pound-miles per hour). Also, 24 strength.

Artificer Wizard. Potions of Growth for 1d4 concentration-free hours of doubled capcity from size. We will be spending concentration on Enhance Strength, instead.

Thief Rogue. We get a climbing speed to get over obstacles easily, but the big one was the second turn in the first round. With how fast I want this build traveling, two turns should keep it well out of danger since Alert makes it never be surprised.

Draconic Sorcerer. Since we will be going faster than 60', we want a flight option that scales with us. Also, more health.

Others:

Hunter Ranger. The pet can't keep up. We still get Land's Stride.

Long Death Monk. Survival, +30' movement speed, more mobility.

Lore Bard. Skills and their increases.

Knowledge Cleric. More Expertise. This puts us at 10 skills with it.

Banneret Fighter. Persuasion Expertise for 11 skills with it.

Moon Druid. Instead of hauling just by the self, we can instead haul by mammoth or similarly large creatures

Vengeance Paladin. Anyone moves out of range, we speed forward again! A minor boost to speed.

Goolock of the Chain. Communicate with your familiar and your thrall to arrange delivery schedules. The more time you spend traveling rather than securing contracts, the more money you make.

So our base form has a carrying capacity of 24*2*2*2*15 (race, Enhance, Growth) for 2880 pounds of fragile/deluxe capcity (the items that will be absorbed into the form. For regular deliveries, we have the mammoth form providing 24*15*4*2*2*5 (Huge, Growth, Enhance) or 28,800 pounds at (40+30+10)/30*2*4 or 21.3 MPH or 160 miles per day. This method does not have as great of tonnage as the galley, but it is comparable to the other shipping options in the DMG and is by far the best tonnage from non-sea-based methods.

Ghost Nappa
2016-06-15, 10:37 AM
I'm going to give this a formal once-through. May I present Chloe Ride (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=846827) (teammate to Sadie M.)

Using all current material: PHB, DMG, EE, and SCAG.

Race: I'm going to start off with ignoring the question of race. Because of the absurd number of Feats/ASIs she has, Sadie doesn't truly benefit from the ASI traits from races and benefits more from the other features provided by race, like free skills, racial features, etc. The important thing to note for now is that ALL playable races speak Common, so we'll add that to our sheet for now.

Spellcasting: Spells exclusive to a class get priority. In particular, if we have a choice between say a Sorcerer-exclusive spell and a Sorcerer/Wizard spell, we're going to choose the Sorcerer-exclusive spell first, and see if we can pick up the other one as a Wizard spell.

d6: Sorcerer, Wizard
d8: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Monk, Rogue, Warlock
d10: Fighter, Pally, Ranger
d12: Barbarian

Oh that sweet, sweet underloved d12.
Hit Points at First Level: 12 + CON
Hit Points at Higher Level: 1d12 (or 7) + your Constitution modifier per level after 1st

Oh. That reminds me...what ARE our stats?

Well, let's assume 27-Point Buy with:
13 STR
14 DEX
14 CON
13 INT
14 WIS
13 CHA

That way no one can complain about us not meeting multi-class requirements or something.

Anyway. So we're looking at 14 HP at Level 1.

Armor: All Armor and shields (Fighter, Paladin)
Weapons: Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons (Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Barbarian)
Tools: Three Musical Instruments of Choice (Bard), Herbalism Kit (Druid), 1 Choice from Artisan's/Musical (Monk), Thieves' Tools (Rogue)

With all armor, weapons, and shields, we can essentially wear and use whatever we want, but we're trying to optimize so we'll come back to that question later. We already get three musical instruments from Bard, so I'm thinking we should pick an Artisan's Tools for Monk. I'm tempted to say Jeweler's Tools simply because of how much that could help identify material components for spells like Resurrection. As for the instruments...I'm going to say Lute, Lyre, and the Drum. Get those war marches pumping, you know?

Saving Throws: It doesn't actually matter what you choose. We get all of them from Monk's Level 14 class ability "Diamond Soul."

Skills: This is a point I need answered before I move on. We're only selecting from one class list, or all of them?Do you get to pick for Every class or just 1? I'm going to be pessimistic and assume w're just going to choose four skills From Rogue. For this, we're going to choose Perception (Paranoid), Performance (Bard abilities), Athletics (our highest stat by the end), and Insight (Also Paranoia).

Rage. Unarmored Defense. Reckless Attack. Danger Sense. Primal Path. ASI (4, 8, 12, 16, 19). Extra Attack. Fast Movement. Feral Instinct. Brutal Critical. Relentless Rage. Persistent Rage. Indomitable Might. Primal Champion.

Rage gives us a heavy reason to have a favored melee weapon on-hand. We can choose to Rage! as a bonus action and if we're not wearing Heavy Armor we get Advantage on Strength checks and saving throws, a bonus to melee damage while using STR, and resistance to basic melee damage types (Blud, Pierce, Slash). We can't concentrate on or cast spells while raging, but raging only ends when we're KO'ed or when we choose to end it (Persistant Rage). Primal Champion is probably one of the best capstones on this entire list, and it makes the Barbarian's Unarmored Defense outclass several other methods of increasing our AC: Standard Armor, Mage Armor, Draconic Resilience, Monk's Unarmored Defense....etc.

The two features combined make our minimum AC a 22 given max DEX and CON. Brutal Critical gives us a very good reason to go into melee for extra damage.

Primal Path: TBD.

Rather than go in order for this, let's start with what compliments our character already. From Fighter we get:

Fighting Style, Second Wind, Action Surge, Martial Archetype, ASI (4, 6, 8, 12, 14, 16, 19), Extra Attack, Indomitable

The most important thing about Fighter are the two extra ASIs at Level 6 and 14, and the best Extra Attack in the game. We also get a way to reroll saves. The big question about Fighter is "what melee weapon should we use? To answer that question we need to look at two other martial classes: Monk and Rogue. Rogue's Sneak Attack is only compatible with Finesse and Ranged Weapons, while Monk Martial Arts only benefit Monk weapons and Shortswords.

Let's look at all weapons that are in both categories:

Daggers
Shortswords
Shortbows
Unarmed Strikes* (This is assuming that they are treated as having the Finesse property due to Monk's Martial Arts.

...Yeah, that's it. But here's the good news. All of them use a d10 for damage, and we're making somewhere between 4 to 10 attacks in a single turn. That is a LOT of chances to punch someone. Let's look at the fighting styles:

Archery. Shortbows ARE one of the valid choices.
Defense. We're not wearing Armor.
Dueling. This is what we're picking.
Great Weapon Fighting doesn't work with Martial Arts, meaning we'd lose out on the chance to make an extra punch if we want.
Protection we're not using a shield for Unarmored Movement and other features.
Two-Weapon Fighting the reason not to pick TWF is more complicated and is related to bonus actions and such.

So we pick up a Fighter's Dueling for +2 damage while wielding Daggers/Shortswords.

Monk probably has some of the coolest random things to add to this mess.

Martial Arts, Ki, Flurry of Blows, Patient Defense, Step of the Wind, Unarmored Movement, Monastic Tradition, Deflect Missiles, ASI (4, 8, 12, 16, 19), Slow Fall, Extra Attack, Stunning Strike, Ki-Empowered Strikes, Evasion, Stillness of Mind, Purity of Body, Tongue of the Sun and Moon, Diamond Soul, Timeless Body, Empty Body, Perfect Self.

Let's see here. Monk gives +30 speed, the ability to reduce falling damage by 100 HP, a built-in magic weapon to hit ghosts and werewolves and such, Evasion, immunity to disease, poison, hunger, thirst, At-will invisibility...oh. And proficiency in all saving throws. That's right. You have +6 to all saving throws just for being Level 20.

Let's see if I can job your memory. Remember Reckless Attack? It allows you to make all melee attacks with advantage (enemies get advantage against you in exchange) meaning that you have many opportunities to roll that 10d6 Sneak Attack damage.

Oh. But because of Rogue, Enemies don't ever actually gain Advantage on you because of Elusive.

Let's re-cap. We have a Shortsword. We're making at least four attacks with it per round. It has 1d20+13 to hit (the monster with the highest AC in the game has an AC of 25) and it does 1d10+9 (14.5) slashing damage when it hits. The first hit does an additional 10d6 (35) damage. You have advantage on every roll and when you crit, you do an additional 3d10 (16.5) damage.

Well.

Expertise, Sneak Attack, Thieves' Cant, Cunning Action, Roguish Archetype, ASI (4, 8, 10, 12, 16, 19), Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, Reliable Talent, Blindsense, Slippery Mind, Elusive, Stroke of Luck.

But wait! We still have 2 more non-spellcaster classes to make us laugh at our absurd melee capabilities.

Divine Sense. Lay on Hands, Fighting Style, Spellcasting, Divine Smite,

Socratov
2016-06-15, 01:28 PM
Use a shortsword. The Monk's martial arts feature makes a hit from a shortsword do 1d10 damage, and sneak attack still applies. The one disadvantage is that you have to give up a shield.
ah thanks, that is nice

Also, I don't think that you can break the ability cap of 20, so attack using strength instead (the Barbarian can get you up to 24 strength).no it was specifically mentioned that we could

Also, take the dueling fighting style and add +2 damage to all of your hits.

that's something to add idd.

bid
2016-06-15, 07:31 PM
no it was specifically mentioned that we could
Quite the opposite:

Stat cap is in place.

2016-06-15, 07:35 PM
ah thanks, that is niceno it was specifically mentioned that we could

that's something to add idd.

As bid pointed out, that was later changed; apparently, JNA misread the question originally as "Is the stat cap still in place?" and said "yes", leading to a misunderstanding what with the actual question being "Is the stat cap being lifted?". Mind you, even when I was asking that question, I was assuming it was only the arbitrary 20 limit being lifted, rather than the edition-wide absolute cap of 30.

Socratov
2016-06-15, 11:35 PM
As bid pointed out, that was later changed; apparently, JNA misread the question originally as "Is the stat cap still in place?" and said "yes", leading to a misunderstanding what with the actual question being "Is the stat cap being lifted?". Mind you, even when I was asking that question, I was assuming it was only the arbitrary 20 limit being lifted, rather than the edition-wide absolute cap of 30.

Well, in that case, (3*15 + 3*22)/2= (45+66)/2=56 ASI's. The amount you get from just the ASI levels (4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th) and fighter, Rogue, ASI's alone is 5*12 + 3 = 63 ASI's. That leaves room for 63-56 = 7 feats. That is without accounting for primal champion, which takes away another 4 ASI's you can use (sine it only goes beyond the cap of 20 and specifically goes to 24, giving 11 feats and absolute stat perfection of 30 across the board. With 5 used I'll need to find some feats that my character would actually use.

I'll update my post later to reflect these new numbers.