PDA

View Full Version : Any good immersive video game RPGs?

PunkManiak
2016-06-14, 06:46 PM
I've recently been playing Fable: The Lost Chapters again, and the real-time combat system is rather good, I also enjoyed the alignment system, but more than anything the world for it's time was rather immersive, and the depth for character customization was rather good as well. For real time combat RPGs however I go to Dark Souls rather. The combat is challenging and fun. However the two big things I'm looking for are immersive worlds, immersive stories, and possibly alignment systems. Can anyone recommend any really good RPGs of this sort. I've played the Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Dark Souls, Fallout and Fable. I'm currently looking into The Witcher series. Anyone got any recommendations for me? Preferably fantasy games if you have them.

Madeiner
2016-06-14, 07:05 PM
Darksiders is a good rpg title.
Action rpg, but the story is really interesting and fresh.

PunkManiak
2016-06-14, 07:08 PM
Not really what I'm looking for. If I remember correctly it's a post-apocalyptic setting, I'm looking for medieval fantasy games, maybe something from the industrial revolution would do.

rooster707
2016-06-14, 07:19 PM
Might wanna take this to the Gaming (Other) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?26-Gaming-(Other)) subforum. This one's for tabletop RPGs.

For recommendations... IDK. I usually prefer sci-fi over fantasy, so... :smallconfused: If you like Dark Souls, though, you might want to try out Lords of the Fallen; while I haven't actually played any Dark Souls, I've heard that they're extremely similar, and Lords of the Fallen is pretty fun. Extremely frustrating, but fun.

Keltest
2016-06-14, 08:27 PM
Baldur's Gate is pretty good if you don't mind the D&D mechanics (and they just added a story mode if you do, but still want to see the world.) The Enhanced Editions for 1 and 2 are on Steam.

kraftcheese
2016-06-14, 08:46 PM
I'd agree that you'll probably enjoy rhe Witcher; the only bad thing I can say about it is the amount of goofy, "sexy" women's outfits is laughable (and disappointing considering most of the female characters are decently written and have a lot of agency in the story). Other than that though, the games I've played (Assassins of Kings, The Wild Hunt) have both been incredible games, really fun, well written, full of action and story, interesting plays on Western fairytale.
---
No alignment system per se but you make a lot of moral choices which shape how the games play out.

Planescape: Torment is an incredible game, it's isometric, a bit old and not very combat-oriented, but the writing is some of the best Bioware has ever done IMO, the story is great and the world and characters are interesting.
---
The D&D 2e system I think? So you've got the Chaos/Law, Good/Evil slab, lots of choices that change the way quests happen.

If you don't mind Star Wars then Knights of the Old Republic is great (especially the remastered edition of KOTOR 2, my favourite out of the two).
---
KOTOR 1 is your typical alignment system, quote similar to Fable's I'd say; good = light side and bad = dark side, and no. 2 has that as well, but it's also a deconstruction of the Jedi/Sith dichotomy and the merits and drawbacks of both.

Dishonored is an action/stealth game with RPG elements, but I really loved it; great art, well envisioned world, each level gives you freedom to complete it how you like, etc.
---
If you cause more chaos (indiscriminate killing, etc) the story changes as you go along, you've got the option to not kill ANYONE in an assassination game.

You might enjoy Mount and Blade: Warband (especially with mods like Diplomacy), it's more action and kingdom management oriented but has pretty deep RPG systems and lots of emergent story opportunities with competing lords and whatnot.
---
No morality system but you can be nice or a **** to other lords or peasants I guess?

PunkManiak
2016-06-14, 08:59 PM
I'm currently trying to get Baldur's Gate.

Knaight
2016-06-14, 09:18 PM
Spiderweb Software makes some good options. If you want more medieval the Avadon series is your best bet, but I'd go with Geneforge.

Strigon
2016-06-14, 09:50 PM
Going to have to second The Witcher (seriously love that game) and KotOR (also love that one).
They both have a few flaws - KotOR's being the longest prologue to any game, ever. Of all time. - and The Witcher's aforementioned ridiculous clothing. Some of it is excusable by virtue of it being worn by incredibly vain sorceresses, but some just... isn't. But still, they're fantastic games. The best RPG's I've ever played - arguably the best games I've ever played - by quite a margin.
If you're still pressed for games, might I suggest the original Mass Effect? Admittedly, not fantasy and perhaps more action than RPG, but everything else you wanted is there. Great character customization, even down to your loot, alignment system works well, and some fantastic scenes if you occasionally take the "Evil" (Renegade) option. And everything's pretty believable, in terms of character choices. You're humanity's finest soldier, so you're not a murderhobo, but that doesn't mean you have to be nice.

Finally, if you're willing to step outside of the comfort zone, maybe take a look at the Mount and Blade series? Not fantasy, and a bit of a different sort of RPG, but it has so many hours of content if it turns out to be your cup of tea. If not, then all you're out is a few minutes of research time.

JohnTheSavage
2016-06-15, 03:20 AM
Pillars of Eternity is pretty solid. It's an excellent spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate.
Divinity: Original Sin can get dense at times, but it's still pretty good and the dual protagonists are a unique selling point.

Mugwort
2016-06-15, 07:35 AM
Why don't you try the old classics? Baldur's Gate, Planescape, Final Fantasy VII, Star Wars: KOTOR, Gothic, Deus Ex... If you don't mind the old graphic and usually much higher difficulty, they are mostly much better than the current RPG games, at least in terms of story and characters - if that is what you are looking for. Might be hard to come by though and even harder to run on modern PC (you may need some emulation to run them).

Thrawn4
2016-06-15, 09:18 AM
As others have suggested, my vote goes to Planescape: Torment. Dated and with a superficial combat system (shouldn't be a problem if you liked the one in Dragon Age Origins), it still has the best story to date. Just push the mental attributes to discover every bit of it.
Usually my second favourite RPG is Vampire: Bloodlines (with fan patch), but as you are looking for a fantasy game, there is nothing like the Gothic series, especially if you are looking for a vivid atmosphere that makes you feel like you are really there.

Milo v3
2016-06-15, 09:53 AM
Not really what I'm looking for. If I remember correctly it's a post-apocalyptic setting, I'm looking for medieval fantasy games, maybe something from the industrial revolution would do.

Sorta, about a quarter of the series is post-apocalyptic and the rest is medieval-ish fantasy (with some Norse and a tiny bit of egyptian stuff shoved in their as well) since most of the series takes place in hell/heaven/underworld/creation lands/earth that is been turned into fantastic locations like massive deserts and giant forests. Though, still doesn't fit well since it's not an RPG series, just thought I should clarify.

kyoryu
2016-06-15, 10:11 AM
Planescape: Torment is an incredible game, it's isometric, a bit old and not very combat-oriented, but the writing is some of the best Bioware has ever done IMO, the story is great and the world and characters are interesting.

Bioware didn't make Torment.

It was made by Black Isle studios, which was part of Interplay (and Bioware's publisher at the time). It used their engine, but was written entirely in house, primarily by Chris Avellone.

kraftcheese
2016-06-15, 12:15 PM
Bioware didn't make Torment.

It was made by Black Isle studios, which was part of Interplay (and Bioware's publisher at the time). It used their engine, but was written entirely in house, primarily by Chris Avellone.

Well there ya go; must've gotten it mixed up because of them sharing the publisher, but that does make a lot of sense come to think of it.

GrayDeath
2016-06-15, 01:30 PM
For the main theme of "immersive, cool worlds" I support Planescape Torment, BG 1 and 2 and KoToR (in a lesser grade 2, better philosophy, worse Game).

Gothic, while not haveing an alignment system per se, offers dark and gritty setting, fantastic immersion, different style and low prices. Also dark humor.

As an offbeat suggestions try Divinity Ego Draconis. While it is less immersive it does offer good to great custamization, an interesting story, and is cheap.

Mass Effect is cool, but really different regarding setting and Gameplay

Laurent
2016-06-15, 04:21 PM
Neverwinter nights in multiplayer and on one of the server (each server is like a mini campaign setting) if it still works.

Witcher, pillars of eternity, divinity original sin..

Psyren
2016-06-15, 04:56 PM
Aside from the classics (BG, Icewind Dale, Planescape etc.), I too have heard a lot of good things about Pillars of Eternity.

I'd also recommend Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age Awakening. It's a great universe and fairly gritty fantasy that serves as a good departure from the D&D-based ones.

GrayDeath
2016-06-17, 12:39 PM
True, DA:O is immersive and has great Character Interaction.
Gamewise its stupid "slaughter thousands in repetetive Battles" though, which is the sole thing preventing it from entering my eternal Top 5.

Especially the different origins rock.
Sadly Awakening went the other direction (and set some fixed decisions for you), it got too fast/short.

Still, I agree, both are worth trying out.

Psyren
2016-06-17, 04:58 PM
True, DA:O is immersive and has great Character Interaction.
Gamewise its stupid "slaughter thousands in repetetive Battles" though, which is the sole thing preventing it from entering my eternal Top 5.

Especially the different origins rock.
Sadly Awakening went the other direction (and set some fixed decisions for you), it got too fast/short.

Still, I agree, both are worth trying out.

You can import your Origins character into Awakening (if they survive) and all your choices both from your origin and from that game get reflected.

GrayDeath
2016-06-17, 05:33 PM
I know you can, but sadly, they are not.

Sure, the big ones are (they only ignore some to most of them for DA: 2), but smaller ones often are not. + Awakening is (was? Played it about 2 years ago last) sometimes pretty unfinished.
And you are stuck with THE most annoying Character from DA: O. Well, maybe except Zevran.

Psyren
2016-06-17, 05:57 PM
I know you can, but sadly, they are not.

Sure, the big ones are (they only ignore some to most of them for DA: 2), but smaller ones often are not. + Awakening is (was? Played it about 2 years ago last) sometimes pretty unfinished.

2 and Inquisition type up the threads that matter; anything that wasn't is generally either irrelevant or has yet to pay off.

And you are stuck with THE most annoying Character from DA: O. Well, maybe except Zevran.

Who, Oghren? He's pretty popular with the base from what I've seen, and good luck convincing most folks otherwise. Awakening actually gave him great depth too. I was pretty neutral on him in DAO (Between Sten, Shale, Alistair and Dog, I had no need for another warrior anyway) but I warmed to him in Awakening.

GrayDeath
2016-06-18, 04:39 PM
"Doesn`t matter" is the whole problem. Whod ecides "what matters" if not the person making the choice?

The uniqueness of Origins (aat least as it was advertized and often even experienced) was the "your decisions matter" approach, similar to ME, however there it mostly worked the way it was supposed to.

Ah well, whining wont help after the fact.

DA: O 2 still makes me anghry enough not to have played Inquisition yet (and besides I always waited for the important DLC`s to all be there before buying^^)....

Oh and another very immersive Game to try is Remember Me.
Verys different in approach though.

SirBellias
2016-06-18, 10:00 PM
I've enjoyed NeverwinterNights 1 and 2 quite a lot, I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned that much. Bastion is technically post-apocalyptic, but it has many fantasy elements and I think it is one of the most immersive games I've played in a while. There are only really two decisions you get to make, but they are interesting ones.

kraftcheese
2016-06-18, 10:37 PM
I've enjoyed NeverwinterNights 1 and 2 quite a lot, I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned that much. Bastion is technically post-apocalyptic, but it has many fantasy elements and I think it is one of the most immersive games I've played in a while. There are only really two decisions you get to make, but they are interesting ones.

Bastion IS very cool, I'd recommend trying out Transistor by the same studio; similar style of gameplay but lots of fun lil additions and a great (if sparse) story.

And I've tried desperately to get into NW 1 and 2 for years and they've never gelled with me...I just can't care much about any of the characters or world...maybe it's just that Forgotten Realms grates on me a bit? I'm trying out Mask of the Betrayer now because I've heard it's good but yeah.

Milo v3
2016-06-18, 10:46 PM
I tried to play NWN again a year back or so... Just couldn't have fun with those boring click on enemy to attack or move controls.

Madbox
2016-06-19, 01:44 AM
I'd recommend Master of the Wind. It's a freeware game made with RPG Maker, but don't let that turn you off. It's actually really good. The mechanics are a bit bland (think SNES Final Fantasy), but story-wise it is great.

kraftcheese
2016-06-19, 03:04 AM
I tried to play NWN again a year back or so... Just couldn't have fun with those boring click on enemy to attack or move controls.

That IS another thing that's dragging on me; I hate the combat and turning using Q and E is so...odd. I just don't understand why:

a) They even needed a strafe function in NWN

and

b) Why it would be mapped to A and D? AWSD had been the standard in games for years by then?

SirBellias
2016-06-19, 11:03 AM
That IS another thing that's dragging on me; I hate the combat and turning using Q and E is so...odd. I just don't understand why:

a) They even needed a strafe function in NWN

and

b) Why it would be mapped to A and D? AWSD had been the standard in games for years by then?

I never even knew there were movement keys... I just clicked on everything. Usually I turn the difficulty down so that the combat goes by as fast as possible and some more plot happens....

Fable Wright
2016-06-22, 10:06 AM
Going to third The Witcher. I've only played 3, but it's definitely enough to recommend.

Mostly because it seems like the most player-driven sandbox I've come across. Moral system free, though your decisions will alter the game world and how characters interact with you. Combat in 3 is Dark Souls-like, but with the twist that it actually rewards preparation. Reading up on your bestiary ahead of time will actually help you fight against enemies; you can brew alchemical potions and oils to help out against different enemy types and learn which kinds of spells and bombs enemies are weak to. You also get more information on your enemies by casing attack sites, and you have to use that information to track the enemy down. At the very least, it's a welcome difference to the Skyrim style 'enemy is here, go kill them' method, especially given that you can get secret bits of information that can drastically alter the scenario if you look hard enough.

BlueHerring
2016-06-22, 10:14 AM
Going to third The Witcher. I've only played 3, but it's definitely enough to recommend.

Mostly because it seems like the most player-driven sandbox I've come across. Moral system free, though your decisions will alter the game world and how characters interact with you. Combat in 3 is Dark Souls-like, but with the twist that it actually rewards preparation. Reading up on your bestiary ahead of time will actually help you fight against enemies; you can brew alchemical potions and oils to help out against different enemy types and learn which kinds of spells and bombs enemies are weak to. You also get more information on your enemies by casing attack sites, and you have to use that information to track the enemy down. At the very least, it's a welcome difference to the Skyrim style 'enemy is here, go kill them' method, especially given that you can get secret bits of information that can drastically alter the scenario if you look hard enough.Plus, Witcher 3 has Gwent, which is a good enough minigame to make me not want to rage about the game.

The first Witcher game is average, but CD Projekt built their own in-house engine and used it for Witcher 2, which boasts a solid combat system and two completely divergent storylines (none of that BioWare nonsense about "YOUR CHOICES MATTER!!11111!!!" and then having the same scenes play out again.)

Witcher 3 is more linear (ie, you'll only see the results of your actions in the epilogues of each chapter and at the end) but I loved the fact that being prepared for fights is a huge deal. Combat isn't particularly hard if you exploit everything at your disposal, just like any seasoned monster hunter should. That, and the world is insanely huge, and the DLCs are impressive in and of themselves (I haven't finished Blood & Wine, but Hearts of Stone was awesome)

kraftcheese
2016-06-22, 12:16 PM
Plus, Witcher 3 has Gwent, which is a good enough minigame to make me not want to rage about the game.

The first Witcher game is average, but CD Projekt built their own in-house engine and used it for Witcher 2, which boasts a solid combat system and two completely divergent storylines (none of that BioWare nonsense about "YOUR CHOICES MATTER!!11111!!!" and then having the same scenes play out again.)

Witcher 3 is more linear (ie, you'll only see the results of your actions in the epilogues of each chapter and at the end) but I loved the fact that being prepared for fights is a huge deal. Combat isn't particularly hard if you exploit everything at your disposal, just like any seasoned monster hunter should. That, and the world is insanely huge, and the DLCs are impressive in and of themselves (I haven't finished Blood & Wine, but Hearts of Stone was awesome)

Aw maaan, you're making me excited for when B&W finally finished downloading and I can go to Touissant and see my favourite silver fox again...