PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Convert Ability

Bartmanhomer
2016-06-14, 07:48 PM
Does the cleric have a convert ability to convert races (including their own races) to join their religion or no? If not, I think a cleric should have that ability. The cleric should use his/her Charisma score to persuade people to join his/her religion.

Zanos
2016-06-14, 07:50 PM
Sure, he rolls a diplomacy check.

I don't think that should be a general feature of clerics. Clerics are defined by their own devotion, and many of the (even core) deities don't really make a point that they should be trying to convert people.

Tiri
2016-06-14, 08:43 PM
If you want to convert people, Evangelist has a feature that does it for alignment. It isn't guaranteed conversion, though.

Crake
2016-06-14, 10:19 PM
Convincing someone via mundane means, followed by an atonement spell covers exactly this circumstance. Despite the name, atonement can be used to "atone" people who were never part of your faith to begin with, but may perhaps wish to change, but find the change itself hard to achieve.

Formless Entity
2016-06-14, 10:32 PM
Does the cleric have a convert ability to convert races (including their own races) to join their religion or no? If not, I think a cleric should have that ability. The cleric should use his/her Charisma score to persuade people to join his/her religion.

I would hope that if such an ability exists that it would be a mundane one.

I doubt a deity with good morals would wish for people to be brainwashed into their religion.

Pex
2016-06-14, 10:38 PM
Up to the DM to allow such a thing. You roleplay it and see what happens. Once in a game the party was fighting many medusa. When we killed the Queen the surviving medusa surrendered begging for mercy. My cleric granted it to them. They gave us some aid for our long term quest. We would play later campaigns in that game world. From time to time there would be these medusa who aid the party. Added nice character to the gameworld.

Conradine
2016-06-15, 05:20 AM
One of the many implications of magic is that evil churches should routinely brainwash their followers through Hypnosis, Enthrall and put a Sigil of Justice on every newborn, just to be sure.

After all, it requires no xp or gp cost. A level 11 archimazide should be able to "sigil" 6-700 people every year.