PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Custom Magic Items for OotA

Darksidebro
2016-06-14, 10:30 PM
Hello everyone.
I'm running OotA and have found that more often then not, when the module gives a magic item it ends up being a +1 or +2 armor or sword.

Both my players and I find this very boring, so I made some stand-in items.

My questions for you experts are:

-Will these items be balanced to replace +1/+2 weapons?

This is a Magical Net with the following properties-
-This item may only be used on medium or small creatures.

-When a creature is restrained by this net, they must make a strength save (DC= 8+prof+your Wis mod) at the end of it's next turn or be knocked prone.

-As a bonus action, you may may command the net to crawl along the ground 10'. If the net enters the space of an eligible creature you may attempt to restrain it as if using the net normally.

This item is a Handcrossbow and weighs only 1/2 it's normal weight.
-This item has 3 charges, it regains 1d2 charges at midnight. It has the following abilities:

-1 Charge - The next attack from this crossbow is poisoned, target must make a Con save (DC= 8+prof+con mod) upon a hit or take an additional 2d6 poison damage.

- 2 Charges - You summon a giant spider. You may use a bonus action to give it simple verbal commands unless mounted, in which case it acts as a controlled mount.

- 3 Charges - You may Cast Web, with spellcasting based off Con.

This item does not use Arcane Magic, but rather Psionics.
-You may Cast Detect Thoughts 1/Short Rest.

-You may spend 1HD when you make an attack with this weapon, if you do, this weapon deals an additional 1d8 force damage.

-Once per Day the wielder may spend an action to emit a 30' cone. Creatures caught in the cone must make an intelligence save (DC= 8+prof+Int mod). On a failed save creatures take 3d6 force damage and are knocked prone, or half as much damage and not knocked prone on a success.

I apologize for any language problems in my rule writing.

It's worth noting that I do enforce the Typical Adventuring Day, I do not have a beast master Ranger in this party, and I prefer magic items to scale with the player in subtle ways (like the saving throw DC's.)

We'll what do you guys think? Unbalanced? Too much? What would you change? I'm eager to see your responses!

JackPhoenix
2016-06-15, 06:53 AM
What's the duration on Drowcraft Crossbow's spider summoning?

Why is the Web based on Con? Even discounting no spellcasting class uses Con as casting ability, elves, drow included, aren't really known for their toughness... wouldn't Cha fit better?

Illithid Twinblade's third effect should propably be 1/Long Rest, not 1/day, but that's nitpicking.

Darksidebro
2016-06-15, 08:11 AM
What's the duration on Drowcraft Crossbow's spider summoning?

Why is the Web based on Con? Even discounting no spellcasting class uses Con as casting ability, elves, drow included, aren't really known for their toughness... wouldn't Cha fit better?

Illithid Twinblade's third effect should propably be 1/Long Rest, not 1/day, but that's nitpicking.

Hmm those are good points. Cha does fit better, I guess I did con because I wanted anyone to be able to use it (I'm not 100% on what everyone will be playing) and everyone has at least -some- con. Cha would be better though to bring it in line with what stats cast spells.

After thinking about it I'd say 1 minute is a pretty good duration for the spider. That way it can help for a whole encounter, and be around long enough to traverse terrain. What do you think?

mgshamster
2016-06-15, 08:27 AM
A few questions -

How far are you into this campaign? What level are your characters? What locations have they visited?

Darksidebro
2016-06-15, 11:17 AM
A few questions -

How far are you into this campaign? What level are your characters? What locations have they visited?

First Characters made it to sloopidoop and Grackslugt then a few characters dropped out and the rest opted to restart. So now they're almost level 3 heading into neverlight grove.

mgshamster
2016-06-15, 12:09 PM
First Characters made it to sloopidoop and Grackslugt then a few characters dropped out and the rest opted to restart. So now they're almost level 3 heading into neverlight grove.

Ok, so relatively early.

For low level characters, you may enjoy giving them some magical trinkets instead of magical weapons and armors. I used this magical trinket generator (http://lordbyng.net/inspiration/results.php) to give me ideas for low level magic items.

To spruce up the +1/+2 magic weapons and armor (such as the ones in Neverlight grove or the ones in the ooze temple), I had them roll on the special features table in the DMG (pages 142-143). For lower levels, they just got cool history and description. For higher levels, they got minor properties as well. That +1 dagger became a +1 dagger made on the Plane of Elemental Earth, carved out of pure obsidian. The player named it Cobble and it was his favorite weapon for about 3 levels. It's still his back-up weapon today, just because of the flavor.

So even though a +1 dagger can seem boring, giving the item a bit of history really helps it shine.

As for your weapons in the OP, I really like them. I wouldn't give them to level 3 characters, but maybe by level 6-7 it would be nice (especially for use in the later part of the game). Alternatively, they could get those at early levels, but never get anything else until they meet the dwarves in Gauntlgrym.

Darksidebro
2016-06-15, 04:36 PM
Ok, so relatively early.

For low level characters, you may enjoy giving them some magical trinkets instead of magical weapons and armors. I used this magical trinket generator (http://lordbyng.net/inspiration/results.php) to give me ideas for low level magic items.

To spruce up the +1/+2 magic weapons and armor (such as the ones in Neverlight grove or the ones in the ooze temple), I had them roll on the special features table in the DMG (pages 142-143). For lower levels, they just got cool history and description. For higher levels, they got minor properties as well. That +1 dagger became a +1 dagger made on the Plane of Elemental Earth, carved out of pure obsidian. The player named it Cobble and it was his favorite weapon for about 3 levels. It's still his back-up weapon today, just because of the flavor.

So even though a +1 dagger can seem boring, giving the item a bit of history really helps it shine.

As for your weapons in the OP, I really like them. I wouldn't give them to level 3 characters, but maybe by level 6-7 it would be nice (especially for use in the later part of the game). Alternatively, they could get those at early levels, but never get anything else until they meet the dwarves in Gauntlgrym.

Well incidentally I did roll on the magic item charts in the DMG for the Dwarf and Illithid weapons. I have a (bad?) Habit of giving the players more magic items than usual, so I was trying to curb it this game.

I read your campaign journal completely unrelated to seeing you post here, I remember Cobble haha.

Would these be more balancing if they get destroyed by sunlight, like other underdark stuff? For instance, at level 7 when they leave the underdark they lose the items, but get new ones post Gauntlygrym? I can see the players being miffed if they were attached to a particular item though..

mgshamster
2016-06-15, 05:30 PM
Well incidentally I did roll on the magic item charts in the DMG for the Dwarf and Illithid weapons. I have a (bad?) Habit of giving the players more magic items than usual, so I was trying to curb it this game.

I read your campaign journal completely unrelated to seeing you post here, I remember Cobble haha.

Would these be more balancing if they get destroyed by sunlight, like other underdark stuff? For instance, at level 7 when they leave the underdark they lose the items, but get new ones post Gauntlygrym? I can see the players being miffed if they were attached to a particular item though..

I'm with you on the over abundance of magic items. I do it too, and I'm actually curbing it down quite a bit in my OotA campaign. And if you've read the most recent session, you know how much I gave out. (Also, thanks for reading!)

As for your weapon designs in the OP, once they're out of the underdark, the power of these weapons will be on par with their level, so I don't think that will be an issue at all. It'll only be an issue right now.

So, here's how to tell if it will truly be an issue or not: What kind of mood do you want to set?

Do you want them to be scared and afraid of the environment they're in? Do you want them to be rugged survivors of horror? What's the mood?

If you're going for more of a classic horror game, then these items are way too powerful. Classic horror is developed by putting the PCs in situations that they absolutely cannot handle and are forced to run. (Incidentally, that's exactly how Sloobludop and Neverlight Grove will be regardless of how many or how powerful of items they have).

If you're going for rugged survivalism, like I am, then giving them a little bit of extra power won't unbalance anything at all. Sure, they may be able to wallop some level appropriate foes now and then, but that's ok, because it gives them the feel of survivalism. And you still get a bit of that classic horror from the two cities, as well as a good sprinkle of psychological horror (especially from Neverlight Grove).

The type, quantity, and power level of magical items you give out is a good portion of what sets the mood for this campaign. If, at some point, you feel it's too much, then just have the magic fade when they reach the surface. Otherwise, don't sweat it and let them enjoy your gifts.

Oh - one more thing. If the magic you give out makes them overconfident (which can happen; I've done it before), then when they get to a point where you know they can't win, make sure they really understand that they can't win. I did this in Sloobludop by having Demogorgon swipe up tens of kua-Tuo with his tentacles and he ate them, followed by him smashing entire houses with one swing. Seeing that, my players didn't even think twice about running away.

Darksidebro
2016-06-15, 08:38 PM
Everything you said.

Good points. I do want my game to go more like rugged survivalism. Perhaps it's time I curb my own magic item amounts.. I suppose I can wait to hand out a few of these items in Blingdenstone (I plan for that to be the last stop for my players, so level 6-7), then bump up the difficulty of the Drow Final attack. Maybe even by giving Jorlan the Drowcraft Crossbow (that'd certainly make things more interesting.)

I'm glad to know you like the items I made, and that they're in line with existing items, just not for my player's currently haha.