PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How to approach to combat naturally in DnD?

DDhot
2016-06-15, 02:15 AM
Hi I'm new here. Played 5e about 10 times or more. And this is my question, hope your help :)

How do you get into a combat naturally. I mean from narration of story to a turn-based combat.

I played that when a side reveal their intent to fight clearly. Ex, Party meet and talk to group of goblin a few minutes then... The Druid: "I cast a fire ball to face of that goblin!" then DM said: "ok, combat! All roll initiative". In this case, how to handle the fireball? Is it miss or hit? If it hit, is it no fair for the goblin?

And, how to end a combat naturally and come back to narration? Thanks for reply, and sorry for my english :)

hymer
2016-06-15, 02:27 AM
A druid casting fireball?! :smallwink:

Seriously, Initiative will determine whether that fireball happens before the goblins get to act. If it had been a fireball from hiding, then the goblins could have been surprised, with a surprise round for the fireball to smack the goblin in the face before they got to act.

BurgerBeast
2016-06-15, 02:29 AM
Hi I'm new here. Played 5e about 10 times or more. And this is my question, hope your help :)

How do you get into a combat naturally. I mean from narration of story to a turn-based combat.

I played that when a side reveal their intent to fight clearly. Ex, Party meet and talk to group of goblin a few minutes then... The Druid: "I cast a fire ball to face of that goblin!" then DM said: "ok, combat! All roll initiative". In this case, how to handle the fireball? Is it miss or hit? If it hit, is it no fair for the goblin?

And, how to end a combat naturally and come back to narration? Thanks for reply, and sorry for my english :)

Once the Druid declares his or her intent to cast fireball, it's time for the DM to determine surprise and then it's time to roll initiative.

Surprise: while this is ultimately up to the individual DM, there are guidelines in the rules. I personally don't consider surprise unless at least one of the combatants is unaware if the enemy. In the situation, I would rule that no one is surprised and combat would proceed in order if initiative.

Note that the spell does not go off before nor at the beginning of combat. The spell goes off on the Druid's turn.

The transition would be something like: "The Druid makes a move to cast a spell... Roll initiative."

Generally the reasons I rule this way are fairness (as you rightly point out). It also provides the most possibilities, I think. For example whoever wins initiative might still try to stop the Druid from casting and continue without resorting to combat.

DDhot
2016-06-15, 02:38 AM
Note that the spell does not go off before nor at the beginning of combat. The spell goes off on the Druid's turn
Thanks, this make it more sense, logic and fair. I mean no surprise in the case too.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-06-15, 02:43 AM
An alternative way to handle it would be to give the druid initiative. The goblins are half expecting a fight and see him cast, it does not warrant a full surprise round, but the druid still acts first.

Be aware though, if you implement this your players will start coordinating and say things like 'I yell "NOW!" and we all attack the goblin in front of us'.

DDhot
2016-06-15, 02:51 AM
An alternative way to handle it would be to give the druid initiative. The goblins are half expecting a fight and see him cast, it does not warrant a full surprise round, but the druid still acts first.

Be aware though, if you implement this your players will start coordinating and say things like 'I yell "NOW!" and we all attack the goblin in front of us'.
Yes, this potentially make it more advantage for monster too if they strike the party first. I think that I won't want to let a hit (free first initiative) to begin a combat.

Another question, please :) How do participants negotiate in between a combat? or they have to fight to death? Anh if negotiation success, how the combat end?
Sorry if the question is quite silly, I'm new to DnD :) Thanks.

TheFlyingCleric
2016-06-15, 03:35 AM
Initiative checks are an abstraction of each player's 'preparedness'. If you roll well on initiative, it indicates your character is quick to respond to the threat, and the mechanical result is that they can get take their actions before other combatants.

Think of it like a Western Movie. It doesn't matter if you go for your gun first; if the other guy is faster than you then you're toast.

hymer
2016-06-15, 04:25 AM
How do participants negotiate in between a combat? or they have to fight to death? Anh if negotiation success, how the combat end?
Sorry if the question is quite silly, I'm new to DnD :) Thanks.

Once a fight starts, it's very hard to negotiate in the middle of it. How it would go exactly would depend on the situation and the people in it. For instance, if one side really prefers not to fight, and a leader on the other side shouts "Stop!", the fighting may cease. But it only takes one hot-head to screw it up, usually.
In such a situation, I like to stay in initiative until everybody on either side has had a chance to act. If everyone refrained from attacking (or doing things that are seen as attacks by the other side; casting spells can look very aggressive), I'll drop initiative and we're back in regular adventuring mode. But the situation is pretty explosive still, obviously.

There's also the option of running away, don't forget that!