PDA

View Full Version : Proving Grounds (IC) - The Daughter

Genth
2016-06-15, 03:14 AM
In the past few days, the Family has grown restless, and while they don't join the rest of Heartrock Valley in seeking a savior in the mountains, they are eager to hear your response to such endeavors. They've gathered now, and ask - "What will we do? Is this the beginning of our end?"

-------------------------

The farm had died a long time ago, Daughter thought as she looked out across the small gathering, eyes narrowed beneath the mask, today showing her as a tall, green-skinned young woman, in a simple yet sheer robe cinched at the waist with a silver chain. The soil, for whatever reason, had become hostile to all useful grains, and now only raggly weeds wove up through the dry soil. The carcass of the farmhouse stood behind her, the blackened rafters like skeletal fingers above her head.

"Children..." She speaks, her voice rasping, soft yet loud enough to be heard above the chattering of the others. "While the pampered fools of the city gorge themselves on illusions, we have come here to decide our course of action. We are in a dangerous position... for optimism, now matter how falsely it may be placed, is anathema to those who know the truth."

Daughter steps down from the ruined farmhouse, walking into the Family, reaching out with a cool hand to brush against the shoulders and cheeks of her fellow cultists.

"We must find a way to break that optimism and turn it to despair. And I believe the best way to do that is for I to go to the mountains, with Brother and Son, and those of you who are... expendable." she smirks slightly beneath the mask, since in truth, all are expendable. But the comfort does wonders even on those cattle who have risen above their expectations.

"The others, I think, should stay among the people, among those they have been hidden with for years, and spread rumors of death and destruction. For every trinket these adventurers bring back, a school should burn down. For every victory, a pain. Subtlety is our way, but the slightest of shadows can cause the archer to miss."

Daughter returns to the hulking, four armed beast that was Son, placing a hand on it's bare chest in a pantomime of affection. Gazing up at the outsider for a few moments, she turns to look to the crowd, and awaits their answers.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The group looks on the verge of cheers, but knows that discretion is vital to such an organization. Instead, they bow, awaiting further instructions. The priest among them asks, "When shall we depart? Who shall you take with you?"

-------------------------------------------------------------

Daughter smiles behind her mask, and she inclines her head to the priest, her body language that of respect and patience. "My brother, while your skills would undoubtedly be well-used within our expedition, you are more useful in the city, speaking to the arrogant, exhorting them to seek out knowledge.. and when they do, and fail, you will break them." She pauses for a moment. "Source some scrolls of sending, however, as I am capable of using them. That way, I can call upon you if I require historical knowledge"

The cult has made a habit of speaking their plans aloud amongst the family - at least, those plans which are safe to be spoken aloud.

She turns then to the rest of the crowd, and indicates towards the young noble of middle birth, Sophia, and Brandon. "You three will accompany me. I will require strength of youth, and you two youthful ones would gain much from Brandon's example."

Finally she looks to the Witch. "My brother... I ask you if you will join us, not as a demand but as a request. You have your own important work to accomplish. But you would be useful and wise on our journey ahead."

----------------------------------------------------------------

The members you have chosen bow deeply. "We would be honored, wise Daughter." Meanwhile, the priest has already bowed and retreated to do his duty.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Daughter nods, and promptly gestures for the others to leave as well, leaving just the four cultists, Son, and Daughter standing there. She beckons for Son to approach, it's footfalls heavy, thudding on the ground like stakes driven for a tent. Then she turns to focus on a small spot to her right. "Brother, you may join us now, if you wish." She says, apparently to the empty air, before the shadows move and coalesce into the shape of Brother, stepping out from his hiding place.

"We will gather in three days. You" She indicates the young noble "Will procure a boat and provisions. We shall meet on the river, three miles west of Heartrock. From there, we shall range into the mountains. If we are lucky, we will find some.. unlucky adventurers to reveal the truth to. If we are even more lucky, will shall discover secrets of those who came before the shadow war..." With that, she turns to move away, striding off, with Son in her wake. When the others turn to each other, they will find Brother vanished as well.

Do you want to control Brother or shall I? I am happy either way, although it might involve talking to myself if I do it :p

Heya, if you just don't write that way, I get it and am fine with it, but I tend to prefer more narrative/descriptive forms of writing in play by posts. Just will get better stuff out of me the more you give me ^_^

r2d2go
2016-06-16, 04:25 AM
Nah I actually like writing extensive fancy stuff, I just didn't really have a good idea of how to do it. And, you can control Brother (in combat, certainly, so you controlling him out of combat makes the most sense to me).

Is there anything you wanted to do in those three days? I couldn't really tell. Also, was there a specific spot you wanted to go, if you didn't find another source of information?

Three days later, Daughter and an assortment of Family meet by the river, outside city limits. Despite having an early start, it's not long before you come across other adventurers, with lighter and faster (or occasionally heavier and slower) boats, on the day-long trip. The other groups seem content pass without any particular comment, as many have members stranger than yours - a hulking man who looks nearly more animalistic than human, a blob of shadow that you can't quite make out, and... is that a pixie?

You can interact any (or all!) of the following groups, if you'd like:
Group 1: Just a bunch of soldier-looking people. Probably one of the less prepared groups.
Group 2: The big animal barbarian fellow, some kind of robed guy, two more heavily armored people, a druid-looking guy, a large badger, and a lightly armored, heavily armed guy.
Group 3: Three people wearing fancy clothes.
Group 4: The shadowy figure (who stands under a pink umbrella), a large, heavily armored man, a more lightly armored woman, and a guy in a robe and wizard hat.
Group 5: A pixie (you think), a bear, a badger, an archer, two druid-looking guys, and a very short man.

Genth
2016-06-17, 05:29 PM
Nope, wasn't planning anything other than gathering up and getting on our way in the three days.

The ship the young noble had procured was just a shade too opulent for Daughter's tastes, but it did have sufficient room within the hold for her to summon Son, currently sitting cross-legged on the wood, giving off a palpable aura of menace to the rather flustered Sophia, charged with looking after it.

On deck, Daughter is surveying the river with cold eyes, her mask giving her the form and appearance of an ordinary adventurer - a bard, perhaps, given the light armor and commanding presence. She brushes off most of the groups her eyes cross, to linger for a time upon the shadowy figure, and her lips purse slightly. She turns to the shadows beside her.

"Brother, that one catches my interest. Approach their ship, board when it gets dark, and find out where they are going."

The shadows move back as Brother inclines his head, silently agreeing, and moves to the side of the boat. When he judges it dark enough, he leaps over the side, and with unnatural grace, seems to run across the water before reaching the back of the shadowy figures boat. He climbs aboard, making sure to muffle his steps.

Using Light Steps to run across the water, then will make a stealth check:
[roll0]

r2d2go
2016-06-18, 04:30 AM
I'm... not sure using Light Steps is compatible with Hide. I suppose it just says stealth is incompatible with running, charging, or attacking... So I'll call it the normal -5 penalty for moving at normal speed.

[roll0], [roll1]

The boat appears to be moving ahead at a good pace, so Brother cannot wait quite until sunset. However, he does wait until they are suitably distracted, then dashes aboard. However, the woman in armor's ears twitche even as he lands almost inaudibly, and turns. "Shadow, was that-"

Staring face to face with Brother, she quickly goes for her mace while her other hand points at him. "Who are you?! What are you doing aboard my ship?"

Roll initiative for everyone if Brother does anything.

I'll say the ship is 2d4-1 x 10 feet away... So, 60 feet.

Genth
2016-06-19, 07:19 AM
Brother, without a word or a signal, vanishes from sight. Invisible, the assassin moves around to the other side of of the ship, before grabbing the nearest object to hand and lobbing it over the ship to plunk into the water near where he first climbed on, hopefully fooling the two into thinking he dove for the water.

Vanishing trick, (so gets 6 rounds of invisible), attack roll to hit a square on the other side [roll0]

r2d2go
2016-06-19, 07:49 AM
I guess I'll roll init:

For now:
Brother - [roll0]
Enemy1 - [roll1]
Enemy2 - [roll2]

After doing the rest in the dice roller thread, the order post-surprise is:
Son
Enemy3
Brother
Daughter
Enemies1, 2 and 4

"Not so - Gah!" Brother turns invisible before the armored woman can react, but she merely glares at his attempt to distract her with a random object, though at least the other two visible members of her party look that way. "You're not getting away that easily. Shadow, prepare assault. Kalim, Dust. Blane, stick near Kalim." As she says this, each of the others nod, and she pulls out a tiny candle and bag. As she completes a short chant, six dolphins appear, beginning in a circle around the boat.

You, Daughter, can tell that she's casting Summon Monster III.

Genth
2016-06-22, 03:05 AM
Well, given that Brother wasn't actually initiating combat, and had a surprise round...

And he wasn't 'distracting with a random object' he was making it look like he had dived overboard as soon as he was discovered....

Brother finds a spot on the boat to hide, and does so, readying an action to vanish again if spotted.

[roll0]

For the short post, but Brother isn't going to fight. He's an assassin, not a moron.

r2d2go
2016-06-22, 04:50 AM
Yeah, but person with 16+ bonus to perception probably isn't going to mistake a random object for a ninja, and definitely is acting in the surprise round with said ninja. He won init, so he's still invisible and undetected by the rest, though.

You've got about 8 rounds before the sweeping hits the invisible Brother in some way. The boat is continuing to pull ahead at about 5 feet a round, and is now 65 feet away.

A tense silence ensues as the dolphins continue to circle the boat. After several seconds, the armored woman mutters, "Alright. Shadow, start sweeping the area. He can't have gone far..." The shadow beneath the pink umbrella begins walking across the boat, sweeping what looks like a sickle on a chain back and forth. For now, he seems relatively safe, but the current pattern will reach him in less than a minute.

[roll0]

Genth
2016-06-22, 04:58 AM
Brother slips quietly from his hiding place and moves away, out of the path of the shadow

[roll0]

r2d2go
2016-06-22, 04:52 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

The armored woman tensely waits for Shadow to complete his sweep, summoning a second round of dolphins. Waiting tensely, she twitches slightly when nobody is found. "Damn. Either he can fly, or..." She hesitates, then smacks herself in the face with a gloved palm. "Wait, I could have been... oh well." She holds out a hand, then mutters a brief phrase of arcane power.

You recognize the spell she's casting as Detect Magic.

Genth
2016-06-22, 05:06 PM
err, hold on. Are you going to be arguing that detect magic trumps all stealth and invisibility effects? Just want to know how you rule detect magic works before I respond.

r2d2go
2016-06-22, 07:06 PM
No, but it does help. You retain 50% miss chance as well as being impossible to pinpoint for targeted attacks, and it takes 3 rounds to activate. And, if you're not carrying magical items, or surrounded by stronger auras, or have the Magic Aura spell (1st level bard/wiz), it won't detect you.

Oh, and it only works in a 60 foot cone, and requires concentration. And people don't tend to cast it unless they already know something's there.

I'll also note that you, Daughter, knows it's Detect, not Brother.