PDA

View Full Version : How can I get the most out of eldritch blast

Sir cryosin
2016-06-15, 08:27 AM
I'm looking for the most optimized build for Eldritch blast. It going to be a lv 8 character maxing out at lv 10 maybe if for curse of Strahd campaign. I'm thinking going fighter 2 for con saves, higher ac and the all important action surge. Rogue assassin 3 for Auto crit on surprise and expertise. Then rest warlock. Is there a better build or a more optional way to build it.

Naanomi
2016-06-15, 08:38 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?414473-Help-Optimize-Eldritch-Sniper

Here is a level 20 model that may help inspire

smcmike
2016-06-15, 08:42 AM
Isn't sorcerer the more obvious chassis?

Distant spell + spell sniper + eldritch spear = extreme long range varmint hunting.

Quickened spell + Twinned spell = Triple blast.

JumboWheat01
2016-06-15, 08:56 AM
Isn't sorcerer the more obvious chassis?

Distant spell + spell sniper + eldritch spear = extreme long range varmint hunting.

Quickened spell + Twinned spell = Triple blast.

Do you REALLY need to blast someone on another continent? :P Isn't Curse of Strahd a mostly interior-based campaign? (Haven't played it.) All that extra range is kinda wasted if one doesn't have three or four battlefields between themselves and the target.

I'm not sure that Twinning works with Eldritch Blast, since the separate beams can already be aimed at different targets.

Quickened, however, yeah, that's definitely a good one. And Sorcerers start with Constitution saving throws, sure you lose the armor, but you could go Dragon Sorcerer to get 13+Dex for Unarmored.

Gastronomie
2016-06-15, 09:01 AM
Sorcerer + Warlock is, as obvious, a wonderful combination.

One thing worth noting is that Hex works boss with Warlock, given how it adds 1d6 to the damage roll for each ray, but if you have only Warlock levels, you need to use up a high-level slot for just that, which is admittedly not worth it. If you have several levels in Sorcerer, you have a lot of level 1 spell slots which you can use for Hex (or Shield, or perhaps even Bless if you went Favored Soul: Life Domain, or Faerie Fire if you went Light Domain).

smcmike
2016-06-15, 09:02 AM
Do you REALLY need to blast someone on another continent? :P Isn't Curse of Strahd a mostly interior-based campaign? (Haven't played it.) All that extra range is kinda wasted if one doesn't have three or four battlefields between themselves and the target.

I'm not sure that Twinning works with Eldritch Blast, since the separate beams can already be aimed at different targets.

Quickened, however, yeah, that's definitely a good one. And Sorcerers start with Constitution saving throws, sure you lose the armor, but you could go Dragon Sorcerer to get 13+Dex for Unarmored.

Good point about Twinned. I didn't realize that. It's funny that it does work before level 5.

I have no idea about CoS. Extreme long range is pretty useless most of the time, I'd guess, since it's boring encounter design. Still, if you are optimizing EB, it seems like 1200' of range is worth thinking about.

Naanomi
2016-06-15, 09:06 AM
How are you generating stats? If it is point buy then some choices around maxing charisma is important

Levels 8-10 If standard array or point buy, I'd start with Sorc 1/Warlock 4/Sorc +3... And pick up two levels of fighter for the last two; ending with 6 blasts on a nova round each doing 1d10+1d6+5 to a hexed target (and 20 AC).

If you can roll higher than 16 starting charisma then it frees up more options... Starting at 20 could yield Fighter 2/Warlock 2/Sorcerer 3/Rogue 3