PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What would you do with the cult master archetype?

Xuldarinar
2016-06-15, 09:39 AM
As the title. Lets say you had to play a Cult Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/occult-classes/mesmerist/archetypes/paizo-llc---mesmerist-archetypes/cult-master-mesmerist-archetype). What sort of cult would you build around yourself?

khadgar567
2016-06-15, 10:00 AM
instead of cult master i go with vizier and vox speaker for clean men behind the man villain style

Psyren
2016-06-15, 10:03 AM
Rather than amassing a throng of commoners, I'd target the rich and promise spiritual awakening/enlightenment (think Scientology.) Then use their dough to purchase a bevy of protective items and get my hands on Sun Orchid Elixir. Finally, I'd marry into wealth and neglect my spouse while I consolidated my empire.

...Or something like that. This guy's more for villain use anyway.

khadgar567
2016-06-15, 10:07 AM
Rather than amassing a throng of commoners, I'd target the rich and promise spiritual awakening/enlightenment (think Scientology.) Then use their dough to purchase a bevy of protective items and get my hands on Sun Orchid Elixir. Finally, I'd marry into wealth and neglect my spouse while I consolidated my empire.

...Or something like that. This guy's more for villain use anyway.
kind a agree with psyren only different is i am more of dragon / starscream to my puppet master gotta keep the head on shoulders when the inevitable party knocks the door
by the way
Red fel, Red fel, Red fel

Xuldarinar
2016-06-15, 11:11 AM
Well, lets see what I would do.

I would likely utilize my cult for the purpose of ascension. Were I Chaotic Evil, for instance, I'd use my cult to acquire the tools needed for me to become a demon and from there aim to become a demon lord. A sort of aspiring Fiend of Blasphemy.

To reinforce things, perhaps I would take Cleric or Oracle as a secondary class, but I am not sure.

Psyren
2016-06-15, 11:18 AM
If you're in Golarion though this won't really work. If you could ascend to godhood simply through X worshipers, then folks like Razmir and Geb would have become deities long ago, as they are venerated by entire nations consisting of tens of thousands.

In Golarion, the only way for mortals to ascend is the Test of the Starstone. (Well, that and Irori's method - "100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats, and 10km running every day.")

Xuldarinar
2016-06-15, 11:40 AM
If you're in Golarion though this won't really work. If you could ascend to godhood simply through X worshipers, then folks like Razmir and Geb would have become deities long ago, as they are venerated by entire nations consisting of tens of thousands.

In Golarion, the only way for mortals to ascend is the Test of the Starstone. (Well, that and Irori's method - "100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats, and 10km running every day.")

Well, I wouldn't be using them as worship fuel, but as individuals to assist me in acquiring what I seek.

For example; If I went the way of becoming a demon, that would grant me Immortality and would make me an outsider. I could use my followers to acquire sacrifice fuel, and assist me in my assigned task. From there I'd seek the acquisition of more power and prestige, something having worshipers can lend itself to both directly and indirectly. Becoming a nascent demon lord or even eventually a full demon lord could then come with time, proper use of resources and strength, as well as luck. By the time of acquiring nascent demon lord status I'd have domains I provide, further asserting to my followers that I am a divine entity and making my faith more likely to spread.

Psyren
2016-06-15, 11:51 AM
Well okay, but it seems that would take fiat then (at least, I'm not aware of any mechanical ways to become a demon lord.) In which case, it doesn't really matter if you go about it via Mesmerist or something else - if the GM wants you to become a demon lord you'd be one. Or if you're speaking purely in-universe, you'd probably need to win the favor of notables like Lamashtu.

Florian
2016-06-15, 01:21 PM
Huh? We actually do have the rules to become a demon and the ritual involved.

But, and I think that would be the more important point, we actually know that you can get "a leg up" in the afterlife by performing right in your mortal time. Starting an Anaphexia or Skinsaw cell in moral life could guarantee you an eternity as a Balor and that alone is worth it.

Psyren
2016-06-15, 02:14 PM
Huh? We actually do have the rules to become a demon and the ritual involved.

The one I found in Occult Adventures only lasts a week - hardly sufficient to advance in the Abyss. Did you have another one in mind?

But, and I think that would be the more important point, we actually know that you can get "a leg up" in the afterlife by performing right in your mortal time. Starting an Anaphexia or Skinsaw cell in moral life could guarantee you an eternity as a Balor and that alone is worth it.

It can - after eons of torment, by which time your personality may be wholly different. By the time you become a Balor, your mindset may be little different from that of any other Balor (depraved, cruel and hedonistic, yet not nearly as unique as you were as a mortal.)

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-06-15, 02:32 PM
I'd try to make my cult a nice place and a genuine force for good.

I mean, in a world where there is a god for everybody and they grant their followers the power to perform actual miracles you have to be a real massive **** to invest the same amount of XP in a class that will let you perform minor fake miracles to trick people into believing you serve a god. This class is basically a challenge, try to do something with it that is not entirely dickish.

Florian
2016-06-15, 03:39 PM
@Psyren.

Check out Book of the Damned, Volume 2, p. 44 - Becoming a Demon.