PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Any way to trade away Wis to AC?

Jowgen
2016-06-15, 10:45 AM
I'm making a character with a 2 level monk dip, but since I have dumped Wis, I have no use for the Wis to AC class feature. I have looked everywhere, but there don't seem to be any ACF or whatever for any class that trade away the Wis to AC bonus a monk gets.

Anybody happen to know some really obscure thing that would accomplish this? I don't even particularly care if the trade is worth it.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-06-15, 10:51 AM
Ascetic mage switches it to Charisma, while Kung Fu Genius (I believe) switches it to intelligence. Both are feats. Carmendine Monk (another feat) also switches the AC bonus from Wisdom to Intelligence, but is somewhat inferior to Kung Fu Genius.

Arael666
2016-06-15, 10:51 AM
There is a feat that chan change that to INT, Kung Fu Genious I believe.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/100022-product-silo.png

Thrice Dead Cat
2016-06-15, 11:01 AM
Ascetic mage switches it to Charisma, while Kung Fu Genius (I believe) switches it to intelligence. Both are feats. Carmendine Monk (another feat) also switches the AC bonus from Wisdom to Intelligence, but is somewhat inferior to Kung Fu Genius.

It's been a while, but I think you have it backwards on Kung Fu Genius and Carmendine Monk. The latter allows you to count as having more monk levels for one of the various Monk class features while the former does not. Admittedly, CM does have slightly steeper requirements.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-06-15, 11:36 AM
It's been a while, but I think you have it backwards on Kung Fu Genius and Carmendine Monk. The latter allows you to count as having more monk levels for one of the various Monk class features while the former does not. Admittedly, CM does have slightly steeper requirements.

That's entirely possible - I posted without checking the feats. I did just check, and CM is in fact the superior option for the reasons you mentioned. CM does stipulate specifically which monk abilities it affects, though, while KFG is a blanket Wis to Int. I don't think CM leaves anything important off the list, but it's possible.

Doc_Maynot
2016-06-15, 12:02 PM
I can confirm, Kung Fu Genius makes you use Int in place of and all all Wis abilities on Monk.
However, you have to take it before, or during your first Monk level.

Âmesang
2016-06-15, 01:22 PM
Would DRAGON Compendium's battle dancer be an alternative? It uses Charisma instead of Wisdom.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-06-15, 08:59 PM
There's a paladin substitution level from Champion's of Valor that trades Divine Grace for Cha to saves. That may or may not be worth it, depending on your build.

Necroticplague
2016-06-15, 09:58 PM
There's a paladin substitution level from Champion's of Valor that trades Divine Grace for Cha to saves. That may or may not be worth it, depending on your build.
????
Er, Divine Grace IS cha to saves.

Maxrim
2016-06-16, 03:29 AM
Bobby means Cha to AC.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-06-16, 03:29 AM
????
Er, Divine Grace IS cha to saves.

Whoops - forgot to finish that thought. The substitution level changes it from Cha-to-saves to Cha-to-AC.

ILM
2016-06-16, 04:54 AM
But with limitations. It's an immediate action to activate and can be used 1/2 paladin class levels per day.

In other words, it sucks.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-06-16, 10:39 AM
But with limitations. It's an immediate action to activate and can be used 1/2 paladin class levels per day.

In other words, it sucks.

Well, I didn't say it was amazing, did I? If you already have Cha-to-saves from another source (Say, Witch Hunter if OA is kosher with your DM), it could be worth it. Not an ideal solution to boosting AC, by any means, but situationally that could be a lifesaver. I wouldn't invest in it, but I thought I'd mention it for completeness' sake. I should have gone into more detail, though, for which I apologize.

ILM
2016-06-16, 12:49 PM
No we're cool - I wasn't criticizing, just giving OP some extra info :). edit: admittedly, tinged with opinion.

Troacctid
2016-06-16, 03:20 PM
Well, I didn't say it was amazing, did I? If you already have Cha-to-saves from another source (Say, Witch Hunter if OA is kosher with your DM), it could be worth it. Not an ideal solution to boosting AC, by any means, but situationally that could be a lifesaver. I wouldn't invest in it, but I thought I'd mention it for completeness' sake. I should have gone into more detail, though, for which I apologize.

I'd rather have Cha to saves twice. Stack it up.

AnimeTheCat
2016-06-17, 01:41 PM
I'd rather have Cha to saves twice. Stack it up.

Does it work that way? If it does, I've been living my life all wrong this whole time...

ExLibrisMortis
2016-06-17, 01:52 PM
Does it work that way? If it does, I've been living my life all wrong this whole time...
It stacks, if it's not from the same source. You can't get Divine Grace twice (from, say, Paladin of Freedom and Champion of Gwynharwyf), but you can stack Divine Grace and that hexblade ability (which only works against spells).

Doc_Maynot
2016-06-17, 01:55 PM
So long as the bonuses are untyped and the class features have different names.