PDA

View Full Version : Should I Keep Playing?

JNAProductions
2016-06-15, 10:58 AM
So I'm playing a game, and one of the characters was a bit abrasive. Nothing too major, but I could see why there'd be some room to worry.

The DM then had a demon possess them, kill them in an immature way (specifically, when they died the DM took the time to mention bowel voiding), and say they're dead forever.

I'm kinda nonplussed at this, to put it lightly. While I can see why the DM had a concern, I feel like their reaction was way too much.

Playground advice?

Tiri
2016-06-15, 11:05 AM
Exactly how was the player abrasive? Although no matter what he did, any DM who simply kills a player like that is not one I would want to play with.

JNAProductions
2016-06-15, 11:08 AM
Was generally menacing towards NPCs. Could be taken as black humour, could be taken as legitimate death threats, but we're all supposed to be escaped gladiatorial slaves.

Hooligan
2016-06-15, 11:10 AM
Fly you fools, fly!

Sounds like bad news. If this style of play is not your cup o tea (and it sounds as though it's not) I think you may expect more of the same. Most troubling is the DM's "solution".

That is my pragmatic advice, and knowing nothing else contextual, what you'll likely have to resort to.

yet if the DM/players are folks you would like to play with (e.g. if they are Real Life friends of yours, etc) I would urge you to have an out-of-game word with the involved parties at which time you'd air your concerns to them.

Good luck.

JNAProductions
2016-06-15, 11:11 AM
It's PbP here on the forums with strangers. Luckily, this has NEVER been a concern with real life friends.

CharonsHelper
2016-06-15, 11:11 AM
I'm gonna go with the standard advice for interpersonal table trouble: "Talk to them."

JNAProductions
2016-06-15, 11:23 AM
Alright, I've told the DM that they've got a chance to retcon this and talk it out with the other character.

If they do so, great-I'll keep playing.

If not, I'll be quitting the game.

Geddy2112
2016-06-15, 12:15 PM
The player might have been a bit much, but if the DM was unhappy they should have just asked them to dial it back a notch or 2. Deciding to kill their character and going into excessive detail like that is not good DMing.

I would talk to the DM, but if they don't yield, then you don't need that kinda thing in your life.

Slipperychicken
2016-06-15, 11:26 PM
Don't have enough information to figure if I would keep playing, but it sure doesn't sound like something I'd want to deal with.

NomGarret
2016-06-16, 03:09 PM
Was it as sudden a possession as I'm imagining, or are you summing it up? Is this part of an encounter where the demon coincidentally targeted the problem character, or more "rocks fall. You die"?

JNAProductions
2016-06-16, 07:56 PM
It was totally out of the blue.

NomGarret
2016-06-16, 09:49 PM
Yeah that seems sketchy.

dps
2016-06-17, 07:31 AM
Exactly how was the player abrasive? Although no matter what he did, any DM who simply kills a player like that is not one I would want to play with.

Well, I wouldn't want to play with a DM who'd kill off a character like that, either, but if someone who's DMing a game I'm in ever kills a player I'm calling the cops. :smallbiggrin:

Malak'ai
2016-06-17, 10:20 AM
Well, I wouldn't want to play with a DM who'd kill off a character like that, either, but if someone who's DMing a game I'm in ever kills a player I'm calling the cops. :smallbiggrin:

Depends... Could be a Murder Mystery LARP, and the DM's just acting out how the murder happened. :smalltongue:

JNAProductions
2016-06-17, 10:21 AM
Update! The DM is attempting to continue the game without an apology or retcon.

Quittin' time.