PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can you explain the Mummy HD vs a Mummified Creature template HD?

Oryan77
2016-06-15, 11:21 AM
The Monster Manual I Mummy is CR5 with a total of 8 HD. The Mummified Creature template in Libris Mortis simply converts a creatures HD to D12s.

I am confused because I am trying to build a Mummified Drow with 6 levels of Fighter class. According to the template, it has 6d12 HD and is a CR 10 creature. Yet, a normal Mummy has 8d12 HD and is only a CR 5 creature.

The Mummy Lord which says it is a Mummy with 10 levels of Cleric has 8d12 plus 10d8 HD. So it looks like a Mummy has a standard 8HD and class HD are added on top of that.

Is a Mummy not really the same kind of creature as a Mummified Creature?

ngilop
2016-06-15, 11:50 AM
You answered your own question, but I will try to point out where to help you better.

a Mummy is found in the monster manual and is a seperate entity from the mummified creature template that is found in libris mortis

a mummy is its own creature while the template is added on to a base creature to give the base creature the mummy's abilities.

Andezzar
2016-06-15, 11:53 AM
They are not the same. A mummy has no class features to talk about whereas the mummified drow with 6 class levels keeps whatever he had from those class levels. If you combine that with a good class like cleric the mummified drow is a lot more powerful than a normal mummy, hence the higher CR. The problem with CR is that the book assumes equal value of classes like fighter or monk and classes like cleric or wizard.

The mummy lord is indeed just a mummy with class levels. And again a mummified humanoid with even more class levels would be more powerful.