PDA

View Full Version : Computer Phoenix Point, an X-COM-like game from Julian Gollop

Maquise
2016-06-15, 12:17 PM
Rock, Paper, Shotgu: (https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/14/phoenix-point-new-xcom-julian-gollop/) has posted an article about a new XCOM-style game made by Julian Gollop, the designer of the original. It has a horror theme going for it, with an alien mist spreading over the planet's surface, mutating life into horrific, evolving monsters. Humanity is driven back into a number of Havens, one of which the player controls called Phoenix Point. As the virus spreads, more and more forms of mutants will emerge, adapting to your tactics to counter them (IE, if you rely on snipers, they get heavier frontal armor, and such).

In addition to the mutant threat, players will have to contend with the other havens, diplomatically or in force. Some will be militant, some friendly, and there apparently is one that is run by a cult revolving around the mutants. By allying or conquering other havens, players can unlock new technology.

The tactical layer is procedurally generated, with a TU-like system rather than the New XCOM's two-move turns. Troopers can target monster's body parts, like Fallout's VATS. The alien Mist serves as a Fog of War, concealing the enemy's movement.

Ummm, that's my spiel. Go read the article.

Rodin
2016-06-16, 06:23 PM
The return of a turn-based VATS to a game is certainly very exciting. It was one of the best parts of the original Fallout games and one that the new games never quite managed to replicate.

Add into that an in-depth strategic layer that's deeper than the recent X-COM games, and you have my attention. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

Narkis
2016-06-16, 06:50 PM
Awesome! The new Xcom games were good, but not quite as good as the original. Can't wait for this one.

Lacuna Caster
2016-06-19, 02:21 AM
It sounds very promising. I like the mention of a less rigid class system than Enemy Unknown in particular, since that was one of my quibbles with Firaxis' reboot.