PDA

View Full Version : Let's build Bronn from GoT

Corran
2016-06-15, 12:43 PM
As the title says, lets build Bronn (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronn_%28character%29) from game of thrones.

I got the idea after watching the last episode, when Bronn was teaching Pod a few things, so that scene made me think ''oh... Bronn has the alert feat''.

I would probably go with a swashbuckler, perhaps with a dip in fighter for some battlemaster maneuvres and for the martial weapon proficiencies.

I think dex based is what we are looking at, with a feat spent in alert, and a skill in performance (he sings quite good afterall). Swashbuckler also can make use of his decent charisma score (Bronn may not be a natural leader, but he certainly has some charisma about him). He is also very mobile, fihts dirty (sneak attack and maneuvres can showcase that), probably stealth proficiency too (as he didnt like wearing the goldcloak's armor because it catched the light and he wanted to move stealthily.

And ofc he is an accomplished fighter, so feel free to involve suggestions that would lead to a powerful build (thinking of the sentinel feat).

What else would you add? Fun exercise!

Afrodactyl
2016-06-15, 01:13 PM
I would say battlemaster fighter 5/assassin rogue 3 at a minimum in terms of classes. He's more than capable of fighting multiple opponents (extra attack), is a proficient swordsman (manoeuvres) and is more than happy to fight dirty (sneak attack).

Like you've already said, Alert is probably a must-have too.

:EDIT:
I'm just going out of what is in the PHB, I don't have any of these splatbooks

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-06-15, 03:01 PM
Dex based swashbuckler definitely seems right. He never wears more than leather armor and he's all about fancy footwork to avoid being attacked. When he was fighting that Knight in the Aerie in the first season he was fancy footworking like a mofo.

Arkhios
2016-06-16, 02:51 AM
Dex based swashbuckler definitely seems right. He never wears more than leather armor and he's all about fancy footwork to avoid being attacked. When he was fighting that Knight in the Aerie in the first season he was fancy footworking like a mofo.

This. My first impression of Bronn was that of a rogue. When Swashbuckler came out, I immediately associated Bronn with it.

Gwendol
2016-06-16, 04:45 AM
Battlemaster fighter/Swashbuckler rogue if given enough levels. He is very opportunistic yet skilled.

Giant2005
2016-06-16, 04:51 AM
I think I'd chuck some Monk in there. His unarmored AC is excellent and although he isn't the most intelligent character in the show, he is certainly one of the wisest (in fact I can't think of anyone that even comes close to Bronn in terms of Wisdom).

Corran
2016-06-16, 05:14 AM
@Giant Monk? That is interesting. I like how you pair that with his wisdom (streetwise) and his good defenses. But personally, until I see him beat the crap out of someone unarmed-style, I would not in good conscience give him monk levels. I see levels in monk in the waif and perhaps in Arya, through her whole training sequence and the way the House of Black and White was structured, but not in Bronn. At least that is my take on it, dont mean to say that you are wrong or anything like that.

However I do agree that we need to illustrate somehow the qualities you highlighted. As for defenses, since hp are an abstract concept, defenses are a combination of all saves, hp, AC, etc. And though I cannot see Bronn rocking an amazing constitution score (in fact I do believe that his constitution should be a bit above average -12 con sounds good to me for Bronn - to showcase that he is getting up there in years), I do agree that his AC would need some help, that is why I was considering a few levels in battlemaster, for some increased durability among other things, like the parry maneuvres and proficiency in longbows (remember that flaming arrow he shot into the qildfire back in season 2, heck, that could even justify sharpshooter). So I was thinking that parry and or defensive duelist might be appropriate. And his nnatural good dex saves, along with evasion and the all mighty uncanny dodge would round up his build defensively. Too many uses for his reaction perhaps?

What about his skills? Stealth is one (we have seen him appear out of nowhere when Tyrion was talking with Janos Slynt back in season 2, and Bronn himself has said that he didnt want to wear heavy armor in order to move with stealth. Athletics is implied, when Bronn says to Tyrion that line about impregnating the Eyrie if he had some climbing spikes, he also has a good grapple as demonstrated against Podrick in the most recent episode. Deception might be appropriate, given how he surprises Pod and Jaime when they had their first training lesson. Same thing when they met the Dornishmen and he surprised them with his throwing dagger. I would also say sleight of hand, as it seems essential for that very move I described just above. Performance for sure, if for nothing else than his singing. Maybe even perception and insight to justify his alertness and his street smarts? How would you handle his skills? You can assume a total of 6-7 skills, depending if he starts as a rogue or if he later multiclasses to rogue.
Given we dont know very much about Bronn's background (other than he has been beyond the wall, and as south as Dorne), I am very hesitant to fix him to a specific background. Do you have one in mind?

What about stats? I think he is a very rounded character in terms of stats, maybe I would even consider normal human instead of variant, just to showcase how well rounded of a character he is. And make alert something gained through his sheer experience, and not a starting trait. What would you do in terms of stats?

Azedenkae
2016-06-16, 05:27 AM
As the title says, lets build Bronn (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronn_%28character%29) from game of thrones.

I got the idea after watching the last episode, when Bronn was teaching Pod a few things, so that scene made me think ''oh... Bronn has the alert feat''.

I would probably go with a swashbuckler, perhaps with a dip in fighter for some battlemaster maneuvres and for the martial weapon proficiencies.

I think dex based is what we are looking at, with a feat spent in alert, and a skill in performance (he sings quite good afterall). Swashbuckler also can make use of his decent charisma score (Bronn may not be a natural leader, but he certainly has some charisma about him). He is also very mobile, fihts dirty (sneak attack and maneuvres can showcase that), probably stealth proficiency too (as he didnt like wearing the goldcloak's armor because it catched the light and he wanted to move stealthily.

And ofc he is an accomplished fighter, so feel free to involve suggestions that would lead to a powerful build (thinking of the sentinel feat).

What else would you add? Fun exercise!

You came up with basically the same thing as I did, so xD Nvm.

Like literally saw the title and thought 'Swashbuckler + Alert'.

Maybe toss in a few levels of fighter. He has some of that in him.

Occasional Sage
2016-06-16, 06:57 AM
I think I'd chuck some Monk in there. His unarmored AC is excellent and although he isn't the most intelligent character in the show, he is certainly one of the wisest (in fact I can't think of anyone that even comes close to Bronn in terms of Wisdom).

Davos Seaworth.

Giant2005
2016-06-16, 07:13 AM
Davos Seaworth.

I think Bronn is wiser than Davos. Bronn is basically the most fortunate man in Westeros, not because he is lucky but because he is very aware of his exact capabilities and knows how to turn them into profit, and how to avoid situations where his capabilities might not be enough to guarantee a favorable result.
Davos on the other hand has the habit of letting his sense of duty cloud his better judgment. He spent way too long riding a losing horse for his Wisdom to be on Bronn's level. Although I guess an argument could be made that he was always aware Stannis would lose as long as he was attached to Melissandre, but he simply couldn't do anything about it. Still, sticking it out with a losing side is probably even less wise if you are aware that you are on a losing side.

MrStabby
2016-06-16, 07:16 AM
With decent wisdom and a penchant for light armour you could pull of a ranger or possibly a ranger/rogue style?

Gwendol
2016-06-16, 07:31 AM
He's not outdoorsy enough to pull off ranger.

Single-class has to be either BM fighter or SB rogue. He likely has a custom feat or borrowed class ability to shore up AC, and definitely has the Lucky feat.

JackPhoenix
2016-06-16, 08:22 AM
I think Bronn is wiser than Davos. Bronn is basically the most fortunate man in Westeros, not because he is lucky but because he is very aware of his exact capabilities and knows how to turn them into profit, and how to avoid situations where his capabilities might not be enough to guarantee a favorable result.
Davos on the other hand has the habit of letting his sense of duty cloud his better judgment. He spent way too long riding a losing horse for his Wisdom to be on Bronn's level. Although I guess an argument could be made that he was always aware Stannis would lose as long as he was attached to Melissandre, but he simply couldn't do anything about it. Still, sticking it out with a losing side is probably even less wise if you are aware that you are on a losing side.

Opportunism and loyalty are personality traits, it's got nothing to do with wisdom.

INDYSTAR188
2016-06-16, 09:05 AM
He's not outdoorsy enough to pull off ranger.

Single-class has to be either BM fighter or SB rogue. He likely has a custom feat or borrowed class ability to shore up AC, and definitely has the Lucky feat.

He has to be at least proficient in survival I think. In Game of Thrones he was able to hunt a goat with only a dagger and used a flint to light a fire (when Tyrion couldn't). He said he had a "rough" childhood and killed a man by the time he was 12, so I'd probably go with Urchin or Criminal for background.

Edit regarding Bronn's armor, from the trial by combat in the Eyre:

"Bronn looks almost naked by comparison, wearing only a half helm, a mail coif, and ringmail over boiled leather."

Given that plus my comment above I'd say Ranger/Swashbucker is reasonably as viable as Battlemaster/Swashbucker. Either way, would he be wearing medium armor?

Temperjoke
2016-06-16, 11:25 AM
I'd give him the Mercenary background from SCAG, which utilizes parts from the Soldier background, but I think it's a good fit for his experience, and would help explain why he's so wide traveled, being a soldier-for-hire. He's also got a lot of experience in war/combat.

Arkhios
2016-06-16, 12:59 PM
You know, he could be mercenary utilizing criminal background as well; those backgrounds related to SCAG backgrounds are just suggestions.

Temperjoke
2016-06-16, 01:52 PM
You know, he could be mercenary utilizing criminal background as well; those backgrounds related to SCAG backgrounds are just suggestions.

Maybe, it's just that I don't see him really as a criminal-type in the show. He's experienced, and he's got street knowledge that most commoners would have, but his clandestine skills seem to be more along the lines of what soldiers would use for sneak attacking, rather than a criminal breaking/entering, and he's more skilled at combat than a common thug or even an enforcer would be.

Jarlhen
2016-06-16, 02:08 PM
From a purely mechanical point of view, is there any way of getting around the sneak attack finesse weapon requirement? Bronn is good at doing damage but he clearly uses a longsword meaning the arguably biggest draw towards being a rogue is lost.