PDA

View Full Version : Life Clerics are Underrated

Slipperychicken
2016-06-15, 01:17 PM
I've found that a lot of people look at life clerics in 5e and don't see much more beyond their bonus to healing spells and a shameful obligation to use spell slots and actions only on healing. Having played one for a few sessions, I think that view is flawed and I want to offer a different perspective:

First, a life cleric does not have to spend all his spells and time on healing. One with war caster can easily hold up a spirit guardians spell, a spiritual weapon spell, and cantrips (or some other combination of the three) to "nova" for a considerable amount of damage over most of a combat, albeit at a cost of spell slots. Buffing with bless is also great, as for a level one spell it effectively increases your allies' per-attack damage output by 12.5% of their average non-critical damage roll, which can be huge when they're having trouble hitting. A cleric can use the healer feat and his preserve life channel divinity to save himself from using all his spell slots on healing. Using those two alongside short rests, I rarely had to use healing spells outside combat, and found myself with a lot of spells left over for other things.

Second, many of the life domain spells are things a cleric wants to prepare every day even if he isn't a 'dedicated' healer. Just about every cleric wants spiritual weapon, revivify, and bless on their list all the time. They can be useful no matter what you're going to fight that day. That frees up a lot of preparation slots.

Third, the preserve life channel divinity has saved my party a lot in combat. When they get really low or go down, it's great to hit them with preserve life to get them all back to about half health, then follow that up with a healing word or mass healing word. In just one turn you can get most of your party from the brink of death to more than half their max hp, and it doesn't cost much in terms of daily powers either. The amount of healing from a single preserve life is the same that a paladin has in his entire pool of lay on hands, and it refreshes on a short rest instead of a long rest, so that should give you an idea of how strong it is in the right situation. That kind of powerful burst-healing has turned the tide of quite a few combats.

And finally, keeping your party healthy and clearing their status effects is a highly valuable contribution, even if some gamers tend to ignore or undervalue it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen PC deaths happen because everyone blew all their hit dice resting, had another close encounter, then fell into an unexpected fight while almost empty. There's also the matter that when non-dedicated healers like bards and druids have to fill people up, it's very costly in terms of spell slots, and that can impact their ability to contribute to combat and last through the day. As for conditions, I find that my party's barbarian is grateful for not having to spend fights blinded, paralyzed, or attacking the party because of a mind-control effect. Cursed items are practically an art form among DMs, so I find that having the ability to say "now he's not cursed" with remove curse is quite helpful. Providing all these services to the party, including condition-removal and healing, is a great way to extend their life expectancy, and life clerics are great at doing it with spell slots to spare.

Tanarii
2016-06-15, 01:25 PM
Wait, what? People underrate the Life Cleric? I thought it was rated a Sky Blue or Blue subclass by most guides.

If anything, I can see people not bothering with it because of overkill healing focus. But as you say, enhancing healing features / spells means you can spend less spells on healing, freeing them up for other uses.

ruy343
2016-06-15, 01:45 PM
The nail has been hit upon the head.

While other cleric subclasses are very cool and provide nice thematic elements, the Life Domain cleric is often overlooked because it looks boring. However, let's be honest, every time you play as a cleric, your party is inevitably going to look at you like a box of band-aids (Source: this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0006.html)), and they'll look to you to keep them alive, not to control the battlefield and deal damage.

Should you choose to play with the Life domain, the Channel Divinity ability will allow you to bolster your team immensely every short rest, and will let you continue to have non-healing-related fun by not having to spend every turn healing everyone else. Also, their divine strike uses radiant damage, which is a phenomenal boon for any team that's going up against the undead (Curse of Strahd anyone?).

After I played a life cleric, I totally felt the same way. They're actually a lot more fun than they get credit for!

JumboWheat01
2016-06-15, 02:19 PM
I always thought of Life Cleric as the defacto choice. It takes what you're expected to do and makes you exceptionally good at it. All the other domains subvert or alter the base package.

Maybe people don't play Life Clerics as often because they find the gods who provide those domains to be... boring. I know I tend towards Nature or War gods more than Life gods.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2016-06-15, 02:40 PM
Life Cleric is indeed quite powerful, but it's the Cleric part doing the heavy lifting, not the Life part. Though if people actually do say the Life Domain is bad, they're mistaken. I'd rather have a Knowledge Cleric in a group, but the Life Cleric's effect on HP is quite beneficial.

Madbox
2016-06-15, 04:42 PM
I had a lot of fun with my life cleric. Tanky enough to not fear enemies, able to do decent damage when pressed, and capable of taking someone from death's door to fighting shape.

coredump
2016-06-15, 04:47 PM
Life clerics are amazeballs..... I thought that was consensus, but maybe not.

bid
2016-06-15, 07:51 PM
First, a life cleric does not have to spend all his spells and time on healing.
I would rephrase that as "life has more effective spell slots". Where another cleric needs 3 slots to heal back up, you might only need 2. Other domains may have better spells, but they can't use them as often as a life cleric.

Second, many of the life domain spells are things a cleric wants to prepare every day even if he isn't a 'dedicated' healer. Just about every cleric wants spiritual weapon, revivify, and bless on their list all the time.
Dubious. Wis is high enough that you can pick some non-life domain spells and still prepare all the good cleric spells.

Third, the preserve life channel divinity has saved my party a lot in combat.
That one can save you from TPK. Your DM will love you because he can push for harder fights.

And finally, keeping your party healthy and clearing their status effects is a highly valuable contribution, even if some gamers tend to ignore or undervalue it.
Any domain can do that.

Scaleybob
2016-06-15, 08:42 PM
Maybe people don't play Life Clerics as often because they find the gods who provide those domains to be... boring. I know I tend towards Nature or War gods more than Life gods.

There's a little note in the Pantheon guide of the PHB, that any non-evil god may have it as a Domain. So it's the one Domain you can tack on to any god PCs are likely to worship. I'd say there's probably a case to be that a lot of the Evil gods (other than the obvious Death/Undeath gods) could also take it as a Domain - almost no god wants to see their worshipers die pointlessly.

I've found that my current PC's (Bard lvl4, Cleric lvl1) one level dip into Life Cleric has made me want play a pure Life Cleric all the more. Having your Healing be that much better, and the Channel Divinity means your spells are freed up so you're not just limited to using your spells to heal.