PDA

View Full Version : Hobgoblin Warlord

Captain Raveman
2016-06-15, 04:44 PM
So, using the monster race rules at the back of the monster manual, would A hobgoblin potentially make a good warlord?

tiornys
2016-06-15, 06:22 PM
Stat bonuses to your choice of secondary plus Constitution. Racial boost to Initiative. Skill bonuses to two relevant skills. Strong but circumstantial racial power. Between the lack of a primary stat boost and the absence of feat support, I can't see rating them a top-tier race for a Warlord, but they have enough advantages to be a good race for a Warlord.

masteraleph
2016-06-15, 09:54 PM
Is there a reason you have to use the monster manual stats? Hobgoblins got a nice boost in Dragon #419, including the flex stats becoming either CHA or INT and a solid racial power. You might want to build it as a lazylord, but you could go either way (possibly going 18 STR, 14 in your choice of INT or CHA, and 11 in something else). They also have a nice feat in Hobgoblin Weapon Training, which gives you +2/3/4 damage by tier with flails or spears and proficiency with ALL flails and spears, which can be very nice warlord weapons.

Captain Raveman
2016-06-15, 09:58 PM
Is there a reason you have to use the monster manual stats? Hobgoblins got a nice boost in Dragon #419, including the flex stats becoming either CHA or INT and a solid racial power. You might want to build it as a lazylord, but you could go either way (possibly going 18 STR, 14 in your choice of INT or CHA, and 11 in something else). They also have a nice feat in Hobgoblin Weapon Training, which gives you +2/3/4 damage by tier with flails or spears and proficiency with ALL flails and spears, which can be very nice warlord weapons.

I don't have any issues of Dragon. Is there a way to find them online?

Inevitability
2016-06-18, 05:53 AM
I don't have any issues of Dragon. Is there a way to find them online?

If you can still purchase DnD insider subscriptions, that would let you read all dragon magazines, including the one containing the hobgoblin. There's also a number of illegal pdf's, but those are, well, illegal.