PDA

View Full Version : Planar Shephard / Far Realm

schreier
2016-06-15, 05:09 PM
I was trying to make an NPC that specialized in the Kaorti resin (to make it available to players). One idea is to make a Planar Shepherd ... from reading the Kaorti entry, they are from the Far Realm (although they all now seem to be on the Prime Material?)

So ... first, would selecting Far Realm allow a character to Wild Shape into Kaorti? Second, if yes .... what would these traits do to a planar shepherd?

Seems like ... can fly ... have infinite time? Subject to wild magic? How do you figure out what monsters are available?

No Gravity: Entities of the Far Realm float in dark nothingness. The only type of movement is passage between layers, which requires only thought.

Flowing Time: A minute in the Far Realm equals no time on the Material Plane. The Far Realm is outside time, existing both before and after time's reign, if words like “before” and “after” have any meaning there.

Infinite Size: The Far Realm contains infinite layers, though the layers themselves are not infinite.

Highly Morphic: The layers continually evaporate, divide, spawn, and breathe at the behest of the alien entities that drift through them.

Sporadic Elemental and Energy Traits: Conditions are always in a state of flux in the Far Realm, and it's entirely possible that a given layer could burst aflame as it gains the fire-dominant trait. Usually, changes in the elemental and energy traits of a layer are seen far off, moving from layer to layer as a storm moves across the face of a normal world. Natives are subject to the everchanging conditions, but they know to flee or take shelter when they sense a storm coming.

No Alignment Trait: The Far Realm has nothing to do with morals or ethics.

Wild Magic: Casters must roll a level check (DC 15 + the level of the attempted spell). A failed check indicates a result on Table 1–1: Wild Magic Effects.

Maddening: Moving through the Far Realm is to see, hear, and think in a way that mortal brains are not designed for. Travelers might sprout eyes on their palms, relive a hundred childhoods simultaneously wherein their parents were secretly Far Realm wights, or backward speaking begin. Entry into the Far Realm requires nonnatives to succeed at a Will save (DC 20) to stave off insanity (as the insanity spell). Visitors must make will saves when they first enter the Far Realm and every hour thereafter.

FAR REALM INHABITANTS
Entities of the Far Realm defy ordered classification. Certainly, countless types crawl through the infinite layers. Some are like animals, others vaguely insectoid, many are sentient, and some are as powerful as deities (though whether every godlike entity of the Far Realm is sentient is difficult to assess). When confronted with Material Plane beings, or even creatures normally associated with the Inner and Outer Planes, a Far Realm entity often takes the form of a creature familiar to the viewer.

Thoughts?

Xuldarinar
2016-06-15, 05:31 PM
I think what you have thus far is solid.

If I were you, I'd invest in Dragon Magazine 330. It gives several more creatures and traits regarding the far-realm (or rather in part.. where it boarders upon reality).

schreier
2016-06-15, 06:13 PM
Found this, with lots of denizens:

http://mimir.planewalker.com/forum/far-realm-resource-index

Xuldarinar
2016-06-15, 07:11 PM
Very good. Nit pick though, i wish that list showed creature types. It implies they are all aberrations but that is wrong. Just off the top of my head;

Amoebic Crawlers and Night Seeds are Oozes
Cranial Encysters and Kaortic Hulks are Magical Beasts

And Im pretty sure Kaorti are listed as Outsider (Evil), like Daelkyr are.

Khedrac
2016-06-16, 02:33 AM
I think you might find your DM ruling that you cannot be a Planar Shepherd of the Far Realm because it is not a plane - it is 'outside' the planes, a 'non-place' if you will.
Also if the DM has any sense having that sort of link to the Far Realm makes you an insane NPC...

Crake
2016-06-16, 04:26 AM
I think you might find your DM ruling that you cannot be a Planar Shepherd of the Far Realm because it is not a plane - it is 'outside' the planes, a 'non-place' if you will.
Also if the DM has any sense having that sort of link to the Far Realm makes you an insane NPC...

If you read the first line of his post, you'd realise he IS the DM, and he's making an NPC

Khedrac
2016-06-16, 08:52 AM
If you read the first line of his post, you'd realise he IS the DM, and he's making an NPCOops I missed that - sorry.

schreier
2016-06-16, 09:03 AM
No worries ... it actually just makes me feel better about the direction ... rumors of crazy witch druid planar shepherd alienist in a resin covered tower ... offers to make things for seemingly insane costs (literally, not in the "crazy expensive" way ... do they make a deal with the devil? Do they come back for more?

Xuldarinar
2016-06-16, 09:15 AM
Insane Prices; Asking to be paid in live ticks instead of gold.

schreier
2016-06-16, 10:04 AM

Your left ear ... (that would be a much higher cost without healing spells)

Gildedragon
2016-06-16, 10:56 AM
Or in Joy or Sorrow (Ambrosia or Liquid Pain)
Or in Salt. "I'm got a slug problem you see"
Or in memories (XP, via a ritual of transference)
Or costs are 1/10th normal because she likes silver more, it reminds her of the moon. Things are cursed though; in a number of ways (about 6 curses if she has no cost reducers; she sells things somewhat over crafting cost, but not much) a mix of drawbacks, dependent conditions to make the thing work, and a chance the item does something else entirely.