PDA

View Full Version : I want to make a Samurai

TheProfessor85
2016-06-15, 05:13 PM
I'm planning on creating a Samurai type character for a forgotten realms campaign setting in 5th ED. It would most likely be a Fighter battle master. But, I wouldnt be above reflavoring a Paladin. Spells could be turned into Ki points and used to fuel smite like attacks. Auras could become different Presences. The problem is what to replace lay on hands with?

JumboWheat01
2016-06-15, 05:16 PM
Instead of a heal, replace it with a Ki replenishment, allowing you to restore up to your level of Ki per day, and the pool of Ki it has refills after a long rest.

And like Lay on Hands, you could use all your Ki pool at once, or piece meal it throughout the day.

TheProfessor85
2016-06-15, 05:39 PM
And like Lay on Hands, you could use all your Ki pool at once, or piece meal it throughout the day.

that is not a bad idea, making it somewhat like the monk's wholeness of body.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-15, 06:51 PM
I'm planning on creating a Samurai type character for a forgotten realms campaign setting in 5th ED. It would most likely be a Fighter battle master. But, I wouldnt be above reflavoring a Paladin. Spells could be turned into Ki points and used to fuel smite like attacks. Auras could become different Presences. The problem is what to replace lay on hands with?

Half-Orc Soldier Fighter (Champion) 5 / Bard (Lore) X

Cutting Words makes for a great mini "Intimidate" effect.

Crgaston
2016-06-15, 07:06 PM
Lay On Hands would be fine for a samurai, I think, rather than essentially having twice as many spell slots for smiting. That seems ridiculously op. For the healing, think Mr. Miyagi.

Naanomi
2016-06-15, 07:19 PM
Historical Samurai: noble or soldier background; likely champion or battlemaster fighter. Oath of the Crown fits well in spirit of the historical bushido code as well

Cinematic Samurai: anyone with a sword... Could make a fighter, paladin, ranger, barbarian (rage reflected to Ki focus), monk (maybe with custom kensai subclass), cleric, Bladesinger, valor bard, bladelok...

Ouranos
2016-06-15, 07:51 PM
Honestly, best thing I can imagine is monk and converting them to use a longsword (katana) for their abilities....

BrianDavion
2016-06-15, 07:56 PM
Honestly, best thing I can imagine is monk and converting them to use a longsword (katana) for their abilities....

why? I don't see anything about Samurai that seem very Monkish.

ZX6Rob
2016-06-15, 07:58 PM

I'd think Champion Fighter fits better than Monk. Popular imagery of samurai tends to focus around sword fighting, quick movements, and elaborate armor. The Champion's improved critical abilities are representative of the samurai's superlative skill with the katana, and the late game fast healing fits the image of the indomitable legendary samurai, fighting on despite being covered in wounds and stuffed with arrows. The core fighter chassis provides action surge, which is great for representing some kind of flashy, 1,000-cuts sort of move, as well as second wind, which is more of that die-hard stoicism that is so emblematic of the samurai as a trope.

Longcat
2016-06-15, 08:31 PM
I'm gonna pitch something else entirely: A Barbarian.

Greatsword can be reflavored as a No-dachi or Katana, Halberd can be a Naginata/Yari and the Longbow is a Daikyu. Start as a Variant Human with Great Weapon Master, so you can cleave through multiple foes. The Noble or Soldier background both fit well.

Unarmored Defense allows you to play as the wandering swordsman in a kimono if you want to, and Half-Plate can adequately model O-Yoroi armor if you prefer that.

Rage can be a Ki enhanced battle focus or battle meditation, helping the character ignore pain and keep on fighting.

Reckless Attack can be wide, sweeping strikes that leave your defenses open.

For the Archetype, Berserker or Totem both work.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-15, 08:33 PM
I'd think Champion Fighter fits better than Monk. Popular imagery of samurai tends to focus around sword fighting, quick movements, and elaborate armor. The Champion's improved critical abilities are representative of the samurai's superlative skill with the katana, and the late game fast healing fits the image of the indomitable legendary samurai, fighting on despite being covered in wounds and stuffed with arrows. The core fighter chassis provides action surge, which is great for representing some kind of flashy, 1,000-cuts sort of move, as well as second wind, which is more of that die-hard stoicism that is so emblematic of the samurai as a trope.

The fighter gets nowhere near the type of features that a samurai would have.

Defelct Missiles alone makes the monk more of a samurai than the fighter.

Kane0
2016-06-15, 08:41 PM
Maybe this? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?422749-Martial-Archtype-Kensei&p=19421862#post19421862)

ZX6Rob
2016-06-15, 08:56 PM
The fighter gets nowhere near the type of features that a samurai would have.

Defelct Missiles alone makes the monk more of a samurai than the fighter.

"Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

Agree to disagree, I guess. When I think "samurai", I think of a heavily-armored warrior, equally skilled with bow, spear, and blade, and one who is very hard to kill due to sheer tenacity and indomitable willpower. I don't think of snatching arrows out of the air -- that fits in more with the archetype of the Shaolin monk or ninja, which, well, the Monk already has covered pretty well. I don't really think of empty-hand martial arts fighting -- samurai were famous for their training and deadliness with weapons, even if they knew how to fight without them, too.

I think you'd have to change a lot more about the Monk class to get it to feel like a samurai. You'd have to swap out weapons proficiencies, add armor proficiencies, remove the unarmored defense, figure out how and why things like Stunning Fist work with weapons... Seems like a lot of work to get what you're going for.

mgshamster
2016-06-15, 09:09 PM
This is a simple one: Oath of the Crown Paladin. Either that, or a fighter.

Joe the Rat
2016-06-15, 09:31 PM
Barbarian (for battle focus, "Vagabond" style butt kickers), or Paladin (Crown is a great"Bushido" oath... are Ronin Oathbreakers or Vengeance?) are my go-to for "mundane" and "mystic" samurai ideas.
From fighter: Battle Master seems to lean heavily on samurai and chivalry for fluff (calligraphy and lute-strumming), but this can come as easily through Noble/Knight. Banneret might be a good option as well, though that is more on being a military leader than solo badass.

Mr.Moron
2016-06-15, 09:44 PM
I think your initial thoughts are correct. Battlemaster is a good fit, maybe pick up some levels of paladin to get the 2nd fighting style so you can have Archery & Great Weapon Fighting.

RickAllison
2016-06-15, 10:18 PM
I kind of like the Barbarian idea, so here goes (I will be borrowing heavily from Final Fantasy):

Zen: Rage. Rather than giving in to a deep anger, the Samurai focuses on tranquility and peace. The focus allows the Samurai to channel his inner energy to improve his own strength, but also to resist that of others. The concentration required to maintain this focus precludes spellcasting and concentration.

Bushido: Reckless Attack. The Samurai focuses on his code, finding the weaknesses of his opponents through their techniques. However, this in turn leaves his own guard open.

Shirahadori: Danger Sense. The Samurai leverages his trained reflexes to have advantage on Dexterity saving throws against visible threats.

Martial Path: Primal Path. Anyone have a better name?

Sharp Focus: Feral Instincts.

Iainuki: Brutal Critical. The Samurai has learned to capitalize on any mistake of the enemy, inflicting a brutal, lightning-fast strike when the opportunity presents itself.

Thoughts?

Hrugner
2016-06-15, 10:25 PM
I kind of like the Barbarian idea, so here goes (I will be borrowing heavily from Final Fantasy):

Zen: Rage. Rather than giving in to a deep anger, the Samurai focuses on tranquility and peace. The focus allows the Samurai to channel his inner energy to improve his own strength, but also to resist that of others. The concentration required to maintain this focus precludes spellcasting and concentration.

Bushido: Reckless Attack. The Samurai focuses on his code, finding the weaknesses of his opponents through their techniques. However, this in turn leaves his own guard open.

Shirahadori: Danger Sense. The Samurai leverages his trained reflexes to have advantage on Dexterity saving throws against visible threats.

Martial Path: Primal Path. Anyone have a better name?

Sharp Focus: Feral Instincts.

Iainuki: Brutal Critical. The Samurai has learned to capitalize on any mistake of the enemy, inflicting a brutal, lightning-fast strike when the opportunity presents itself.

Thoughts?

Make "marital path" Bushido, and call your current "bushido" Jōdan-no-kamae, a powerful, long reaching kendo stance that leaves one very open.

RickAllison
2016-06-15, 10:35 PM
Make "marital path" Bushido, and call your current "bushido" Jōdan-no-kamae, a powerful, long reaching kendo stance that leaves one very open.

That sounds much better, thanks! I'm still thinking of how to implement the paths...

Naanomi
2016-06-15, 10:45 PM
Totem gives you unmistakable supernatural abilities, so should probably be fluffed as such

Frenzy can probably be fluffed as 'battle trance' that is extremely draining

Sigreid
2016-06-15, 11:11 PM
I'm going to suggest a somewhat re flavored barbarian. Most or the samurai armor I've seen fits into D&D's medium armor category, and both the rage and the unarmed defense are both pretty easily explained as martial focus. Heck, the totem powers even match pretty well with the philosophy of Shintoism and some Japanese mythology about hero's abilities.

Hrugner
2016-06-16, 12:48 AM
That sounds much better, thanks! I'm still thinking of how to implement the paths...

Make Berserker the Ronin path. Then I guess name the animal paths after the 8 virtues.
Loyalty - wolf
Courage - tiger
Righteousness - eagle
Benevolence -
Respect -
Sincerity -
Honour - Elk
Self-Control - bear

I guess we have a few extra virtues. The animal based ritual spells also don't make as much sense now.

Lombra
2016-06-16, 06:48 AM
Barbarian/Eldritch Knight for that weapon bond which reminds a lot of the kensai back in 3.5e

Logosloki
2016-06-16, 08:23 AM
Noble or Soldier Battlemaster Fighter is probably the closer fit to a Samurai. Battlemaster gives you an extra artisan tool proficiency (perfect for being able to paint or use calligraphy), the ability to size up other beings through observation, maneuvers, and the ever solid Fighter chassis.

AmbientRaven
2016-06-16, 08:26 AM
If your DM allows homebrew: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJx0BZwe

Specter
2016-06-16, 09:29 AM
1) Be a Battlemaster.
2) Have History, Insight, Athletics and Animal Handling as skills.
2) Take proficiency in calligrapher's tools for your artisan tools.
3) Take either Great Weapon Master (if you want te katana to be a greatsword) or Dual Wielder (if you want to use the katana and the wakizashi).
4) Future feats include Heavy Armor Master, Mounted Combatant and Alert.

Good luck.

Regulas
2016-06-16, 10:42 AM
Probably not what you had in mine, though: the main weapons of the Samurai are the Bow(For most of Samurai history the weapon that defined a 'true warrior') and for a shorter period the Spear.

TheProfessor85
2016-06-16, 02:38 PM
I kind of like the Oath of the Crown Paladin. Casting Command to have an opponent put their weapons down.

The Barbarian suggestion would work well also. Medium armor. Reflavoring rage as battle focus. The damage reduction would be fighting through the pain.