PDA

View Full Version : To diplomance or not to diplomance, that is the question...

LeighTheDwarf
2016-06-15, 06:18 PM
Edit: Crap, I thought I was in the D&D 3.5 subforum when I posted this...could someone please move it?

...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous NPCs, or to take up words against a sea of troubles, and by talking to them, befriend them.

So I've got a 7th level bard with a high charisma score and some skill ranks in diplomacy. I noticed that a combination of the right feat at 8th level, the right feat for his cohort at 6th level, and some skill synergies would get him a high enough diplomacy score to turn his allies into fanatics (a DC 50 diplomacy check) on a roll of 19 by 9th level.

Reasons to go this route: A fanatic, mechanically speaking, is essentially raging: they get a bonus to Str, Con, and Will saves, and a small minus to AC. A lot of the party's allies are really good in a fight, and we have a battle with a really terrifying monster coming up. My plan was to assemble an army of our most powerful allies, and use diplomacy to cause them to become fanatic in addition to all the regular buffs I can do. So essentially, confront the monster with an army of raging heroes.

Reasons to not go this route: The opportunity cost that I wouldn't be able to take feats which might be more fun, even if they're less powerful. Also, the DC to turn an ally into a fanatic is the same as the DC to turn a hostile NPC into a friend, and while being able to do the former is awesome, the ability to do the latter might be game-breaking.

Potential compromise/solution: I could ask for some sort of item which gives a big enough plus to diplomacy to make a DC 50 check, but only works once. On the downside, that would require the DM to co-operate with the request, and he might not want to. Or other players might think it was unfair and that I was getting better items than them.

So...should I optimize my diplomacy? Ask for the item? Or forget about diplomancing and look at improving other aspects of my character first?

Kish
2016-06-15, 06:37 PM
Be sure your DM is okay with you using rules that are designed for epic-level characters at eighth level before you even think about this.