PDA

View Full Version : Custom magic items

tokyooo23
2016-06-15, 08:22 PM
Do you guys have any particular magic items you have made in the past that you would like to share?

I'm partial to a pair of goggles that function as the magic item artificer monocle, while having the ability to use detect magic at-will, as well as a cone shaped light spell at-will

Segev
2016-06-15, 08:42 PM
The mistcloak is a cloak made of soft grey fabric that is slightly damp to the touch. When the hood is put up, a thick mist extends outwards for 10 feet in all directions, obscuring the wearer from sight. The wearer is almost never actually hindered by this blinding fog, however. This is because it is actually a silent image enhanced with a specific application of create water that spreads just enough water droplets on all surfaces in the area to make it feel slightly clammy and damp. Since nobody has any reason to doubt the fog's reality, it is unlikely any will try to disbelieve it; since the wearer (ideally) knows it's just an illusion, however, he can, and with a +4 bonus to his save!

Made with CL 1, it costs 1*1,800+1*900 = 2,700 gp market value (command action activated: put up the hood).

ayvango
2016-06-15, 08:49 PM
The mistcloak is a cloak made of soft grey fabric that is slightly damp to the touch. When the hood is put up, a thick mist extends outwards for 10 feet in all directions, obscuring the wearer from sight. The wearer is almost never actually hindered by this blinding fog, however. This is because it is actually a silent image enhanced with a specific application of create water that spreads just enough water droplets on all surfaces in the area to make it feel slightly clammy and damp. Since nobody has any reason to doubt the fog's reality, it is unlikely any will try to disbelieve it; since the wearer (ideally) knows it's just an illusion, however, he can, and with a +4 bonus to his save!

Made with CL 1, it costs 1*1,800+1*900 = 2,700 gp market value (command action activated: put up the hood).

There is a similar existing cloak: Cloud Cloak (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20050311a)

A cloud cloak is a wispy white cloak that seems almost to be made of mist. When worn about the shoulders, it wreathes the wearer in a fine, cool mist that protects him from the extremes of temperature as if he were under the effects of endure elements.

In addition, the wearer of a cloud cloak can see through mist and fog with ease. Creatures never gain concealment from the wearer under such conditions. The wearer can also move through all types of clouds with ease, with no penalty to his movement rate. Solid fog, acid fog, and similar spells do not impede his movement, although if the spell also does damage or has some other effect, that effect still occurs as normal.

Moderate abjuration; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item, endure elements, freedom of movement, true seeing; Price 31,500 gp; Weight 1 lb.

tokyooo23
2016-06-16, 04:41 AM
What slot would an item of +X UMD take? I've always wondered that.

ILM
2016-06-16, 05:17 AM
I'm partial to spell trigger items. You can UMD them with a very achievable DC of 20, so any mid-level character can use them (we don't do class/cross-class skills in my games, so this may not be so trivial if you play by the rules) and they're a great cheap way to get access to long duration buffs. By item creation guidelines, an item with 5 charges per day costs the same as one with 50 charges; an item with 1 charge per day costs 5 times less. An item with multiple similar abilities (including spells, as explicitly laid out in the staff creation rules) has its most costly ability full-priced, the second next adjusted by 75%, and all others half-priced.

In other words, I can for instance get a staff of:
- persistent Haste
- persistent Displacement
- persistent Dragonskin
- persistent Ferocity of Sanguine Rage
- persistent Conviction
- persistent Divine Favor
- persistent Shield
- persistent Shield of Faith
- Superior Resistance
- Energy Immunity
- Greater Magic Weapon
- Magic Vestment
all CL20, all once per day, for 143.25k gp. This gets the character all-day Haste, 50% miss change, +14 AC, +11 to all saves, +9 to attack, +18 to damage, immunity to one energy type, resistance 20 to another. A Spellblade gives you some assurance - though no guarantee - that you're going to hold on to these buffs for the day.

Of course there are other, better or more situational buffs you could use depending on the character...

It's not the be-all end-all of PO or TO optimization, especially since all DMs may not let this fly, but it 100% follows custom item guidelines as written and it's far more cost-effective than getting basic enchantments as priced (50k gp for a Ring of Protection +5? Lol).

Necromancy
2016-06-16, 05:39 AM
My gnome sorc killed a rhino and ended up taking the horn and making into a codpiece. As he gained wealth it became gold and gem encrusted and was enchanted as a +con belt that had several charges or magic missile per day

khadgar567
2016-06-16, 06:48 AM
My gnome sorc killed a rhino and ended up taking the horn and making into a codpiece. As he gained wealth it became gold and gem encrusted and was enchanted as a +con belt that had several charges or magic missile per day
leave the mad science to gnomes lol

Âmesang
2016-06-16, 12:52 PM
Not a magic item, but a tool I made for a Pathfinder ranger…

FELLING AXE
Aura no aura (non-magical); CL —; Price 6 gp; Weight 6 lb.
DESCRIPTIONThe felling axe is the perfect tool for cutting down trees, chopping firewood, and breaking open wooden doors or chests. If a felling axe is used in combat, treat it as a two-handed improvised weapon that deals slashing damage equal to that of a battleaxe of its size; against the aforementioned objects attacks deal double their normal damage and may ignore the object's hardness.

I also feel like I should mention a fun little item created by one "Slagger the Chuul"…

ZAUBER'S MUTABLE ROD
Aura moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
DESCRIPTIONThis rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod's functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed.

When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle.
When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets.
When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall.
When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade.
When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooded bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water.
If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours.
CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTSCraft Rod, minor creation; Cost 187 gp, 5 sp, 15 XP, 1 day

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-16, 01:06 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?491396-Daern-s-Invulnerable-Fortress), I've got a Daern's instant fortress with a lyre of building built-in to prevent it from being damaged in any way, as well as a master fiddle effect (to give it bardic music) and some other item effects to boost the bardic music, plus a music box that plays so long as the fortress is deployed to keep the music going. It's also protected from gaseous attacks via a necklace of adaptation ability, a decanter of endless water to help withstand sieges, and some ring gates and permanencied teleportation circles for quick exits and to help gather food, as necessary.

Later in the thread, I came up with +1 annulats that have sizing attached to make them any size from Fine to Colossal, and linked them together as ring gates. Add morphing for stealth-portals!

Also, at some point, I read something about combining a pair of gloves of storing with a handy haversack, to shrink down and store anything you need inside the haversack. Combined with an enveloping pit, and you've got a huge space filled with shrunken stuff that you can recall as a move action without having to dig. If you combined that with a possum pouch, it'd be especially difficult to find. If you combined that with a graft of some sort, you'd have an actual bodily pouch that you could then store stuff in.

For one character, I also combined a masterwork instrument with several magical bardic instruments and a +1 shocking greataxe for an electric guitar. That was so metal.

ngilop
2016-06-16, 01:10 PM

Ive always envision a +umd item as a tome of some sort that had hundreds upon hundreds of command words, phrases, and actions needed; categorized by item type (wand/gem/etc) and arranged in most to least popular order.

To me nothing else really makes sense.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-16, 01:13 PM
Ive always envision a +umd item as a tome of some sort that had hundreds upon hundreds of command words, phrases, and actions needed; categorized by item type (wand/gem/etc) and arranged in most to least popular order.

To me nothing else really makes sense.How about a pair of gloves made of phase spider silk that allow you to feel the subtle vibrations of magic in an item to help you move it just right? Or a pair of goggles made of resonant crystal or magically-treated glass that refracts light and allow you to pick up on the rainbow hues of an item's magical emanations if you watch it from just the right angles? Or a headband with a crystalline third eye that sharpens your concentration on an item you touch?

Âmesang
2016-06-17, 01:12 AM
I did something similar but for a ring of spellcrafting who's flavor text involved the ring "guiding the subtle movements of spellcasting."

Inevitability
2016-06-18, 09:59 AM

A headband or helmet makes most sense to me, seeing a bonus to UMD probably falls under 'mental improvement'.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-18, 02:39 PM
Acrylic Paint of Continuous Prestidigitation - 2,000 gp (1,000 gp Crafted)
—A thick 1 oz glass bottle of utterly nontoxic, glossy, clear acrylic paint that has a permanent, continuous-use prestidigitation effect once spread on the surface of an object or creature and does not deteriorate under modest wear and tear once applied; the bottle's cork has a small brush attached with which to spread the acrylic; the acrylic requires at least 1 full round to apply, covers 1 contiguous square foot of space (in any configuration; this means it can be spread over a much larger overall area if stretched out) and dries within 1 round after fully used; it is activated with a touch as a free action, and the toucher's intent determines what prestidigitation effect is in play, which continues indefinitely until changed (though changes created by its effects, such as cleanliness or color, remain even if the effect itself is changed); it is altered with a touch and intent as a free action; it can be purposefully scraped off as a full-round action.

Doc_Maynot
2016-06-18, 04:27 PM
Author's Cloak. Combined the properties of a hat of disguise, handy haversack, and a traveler's cloak, all while being a +1 sizing, morphing weighted cloak.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-18, 04:33 PM
Author's Cloak. Combined the properties of a hat of disguise, handy haversack, and a traveler's cloak, all while being a +1 sizing, morphing weighted cloak.Don't forget to add in a ring of sustenance, a Heward's fortifying bedroll, and maybe even a magic bedroll, so you can roll up in it and snooze as needed (and it shortens your sleep time considerably).

Doc_Maynot
2016-06-18, 05:15 PM
It already provided rations, tea and water, and could become a tent as per traveler's cloak. So I just stored some bedrolls with me for comfort.

Thurbane
2016-07-06, 11:01 PM
Corvus Mask

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMFDOYDPc4SQHj1R4Q5WG0YR3ceCAl7 7RHS7jkb_U-BWRIogvK9Q

Polymorph self into Giant Raven (Fr p.148) 1/day
Summon Murder of Crows (TM p.87) (as per Summon Nature's Ally II) 1/day

Moderate conjuration and transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, polymorph, summon swarm; Price 10,080 gp.

zyggythorn
2016-07-07, 05:35 AM
On the crazier side of things, my character lost his arm. So I replaced it with a fused weapon graft. With 7 wand chambers. And stuck a few feats on it.

Basically, I made Barret's gun arm, but filled it with wand rings, dorjes, wands, and an epic staff.

I was proud to have nearly one-shotted the final boss with that.

Qc Storm
2016-07-07, 11:26 AM

That reminds me of one of my items, Mistbreaker. It was a +1 Katana that could directly attack a square of magical mist/fog/cloud and dispel that square. It was an immediate dispel if the Katana's CL was higher than the spell, but required a CL check on anything higher than it.

My players didn't use it a whole lot due to being a katana though.