PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sorcerer Bloodline for PEACHing, Updated Pyroclastic

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-06-15, 11:04 PM
Here it is after some playtesting and such, my updated Pyroclastic Bloodline (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d7X10dzgHuwOENwZCOyfXWbNWRuqxRLGyIrJKXDknkM/edit?usp=sharing). Considering 1/3 or more of it is a re-fluffed Storm sorcerer it should be straightforward.

Bharaeth
2016-06-16, 04:45 AM
Loving the flavour text on this - I like to think that every sorcerer should basically be a power plant on the verge of meltdown!

With the Living Cataclysm trait, it seems basically an upgraded version of Storm's Fury, with a bonus to initiative on top. Storm Sorcerer's get that awesome ability at lvl 14, but here you get it at lvl 6, and this also allows you a (limited) choice of damage types. I love it, but it is seriously better than what Storm Sorcerers get. Maybe split up its effects, or push it back some levels?

Also, I think the published Storm Sorcerers in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, they no longer receive the bonus spells, which is vastly important to a sorcerer. You might want to mirror that, too, though it's a bit of a nerf.

With Walk the High Road, it comes in also at lvl 6, so should probably be purely a ribbon, to keep in line with most 5e classes. I think you've replicated a lot of the Goliath's trait here, right? But swapping out the cold climate adaptation, which normally accompanies high altitudes. It a bit good by sneaking in a potential combat application here though, with the base speed increase.

I actually like the Terraforming ribbon, but maybe you should specify for sure whether you're creating one object or multiple ones? The text seems slightly contradictory at different points.

Also, this sorcerer subclass is begging for some fire resistance! Oh, I see, it comes online at lvl 18. Maybe a caster-specific fire resistance should be available much earlier on?

I feel that Pyroclastic Flow is a bit clunky in the mechanics. If you did a fireball (at spell level 3) against 4 creatures, doing 35 fire damage, not only would the GM make 4 Dex saves, but that's also maybe another 4 Str saves, to shove them up to 35 feet and knock prone. For no extra expenditure on the player's part. That's a lot of extra time taken up in the combat. Maybe not this? If you want to keep it, don't also have the gradating push range based on creature size. Maybe just say that creatures of above large are immune, or something?

And then we have to consider that when your sorcerer hits lvl 18, they don't just gain an extra lvl 5 spell slot and the sorcery point, they also gain a burrowing speed, the ability to grant group resistance to a choice of damages, and now an unconditional rider to potentially every combat spell the sorcerer pulls out, whether it's a cantrip or not.

While a subclass capstone should be powerful, I think the combination of these things all in one is a tad too much.

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-06-16, 08:14 AM
Ok, definitely useful. Currently mobile so no edits just yet. There are a lot of pieces in this design and iits one of my earlier works. there was so much that i wanted to embody the image of a Vulshok sorcerer, but definitely on the same page that its a bit intense and packed full.

I didnt have an issue with the Storm sorcers reaction ability being dropped in at about any level because of its scaling. But I could easily swap it out with the 14th level ability and keep the initiative business at 6th level.

Terraforming was intented to create from dirt and rock in an area, whatever noncomplex thing you want to within the area. I'll try and clean up the wording for clarity. I do think I should tag the use of sorcery points on it though.

The is a lot going on @18th level... The push effect is doing what I want it to as far as knocking things around of any size and I need that to stay. I'm just trying to find a way to make it less bogging on time.

The bonus movespeed and burrowspeed are something that maybe should cost something. Like maybe having the movespeed set be taken as you spend a point and you can dash as a bouns action, or you can increase the movespeed of you and people around you by 10ft... idk just spitballing. more thoughts to come.

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-06-16, 09:19 AM
Loving the flavour text on this - I like to think that every sorcerer should basically be a power plant on the verge of meltdown!
Sweet. Imagery was to be a barely container true blue Geomancer.

With the Living Cataclysm trait, it seems basically an upgraded version of Storm's Fury, with a bonus to initiative on top. Storm Sorcerer's get that awesome ability at lvl 14, but here you get it at lvl 6, and this also allows you a (limited) choice of damage types. I love it, but it is seriously better than what Storm Sorcerers get. Maybe split up its effects, or push it back some levels?

Ok swapped the 1st of the 6th and 14 abilities but retained the initiative boost at 6th.

Also, I think the published Storm Sorcerers in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, they no longer receive the bonus spells, which is vastly important to a sorcerer. You might want to mirror that, too, though it's a bit of a nerf.

Adjusted accordingly, will try and fix up the spells list to be less sorcerer redundant.

With Walk the High Road, it comes in also at lvl 6, so should probably be purely a ribbon, to keep in line with most 5e classes. I think you've replicated a lot of the Goliath's trait here, right? But swapping out the cold climate adaptation, which normally accompanies high altitudes. It a bit good by sneaking in a potential combat application here though, with the base speed increase.

Removed the movespeed perk. Thinking of throwing it elsewhere... We'll see. And yes, it is a refluffed goliath ribbon. So in the spirit of maintaining ribbon status movespeed buff removed. The 10ft buff was originally in the 1st level ability area, but that felt really frontloaded.

I actually like the Terraforming ribbon, but maybe you should specify for sure whether you're creating one object or multiple ones? The text seems slightly contradictory at different points.

I think I fixed the text for clarity. Let me know how OP it could be.

Also, this sorcerer subclass is begging for some fire resistance! Oh, I see, it comes online at lvl 18. Maybe a caster-specific fire resistance should be available much earlier on?

I mean yeah I could put it somewhere sooner, but I have no clue where. And I'm honestly ok with not giving a real defensive buff until this level because of how aggressive the class is, so having some chinks in the armor that can easily be filled in with spells (ie the volcano sorcerer actually caring about getting hurt) wasn't really a major concern. That and I absolutely hated the fact that Storm gained immunity to 2 damage types.

I feel that Pyroclastic Flow is a bit clunky in the mechanics. If you did a fireball (at spell level 3) against 4 creatures, doing 35 fire damage, not only would the GM make 4 Dex saves, but that's also maybe another 4 Str saves, to shove them up to 35 feet and knock prone. For no extra expenditure on the player's part. That's a lot of extra time taken up in the combat. Maybe not this? If you want to keep it, don't also have the gradating push range based on creature size. Maybe just say that creatures of above large are immune, or something?

its the best I could puzzle together to allow the tossing of big creatures with reason. Trying to portray that whole eruption concept.

And then we have to consider that when your sorcerer hits lvl 18, they don't just gain an extra lvl 5 spell slot and the sorcery point, they also gain a burrowing speed, the ability to grant group resistance to a choice of damages, and now an unconditional rider to potentially every combat spell the sorcerer pulls out, whether it's a cantrip or not.

While a subclass capstone should be powerful, I think the combination of these things all in one is a tad too much.
Burrowspeed now eats points, eats concentration and last up to a minute as a time with an action to engage. I may make it a sorcery point ability to cram onto the terraforming dealy at 14th level. But it may just have to go the way of the 10ft movespeed buff ad get canned.