PDA

View Full Version : Rules for Jousting

Blackhawk748
2016-06-15, 11:13 PM
Just what it says on the tin, does 3.5 have an rules for how to do a Jousting competition? And while im at it, does it have any rules for how to conduct a horse race?

MisterKaws
2016-06-15, 11:25 PM
Compare Initiative rolls for Jousting, and Ride checks for Racing.

Really, that's all. You can put more than one check or something else, but that's it for the pre-established rules.

Blackhawk748
2016-06-15, 11:30 PM
Compare Initiative rolls for Jousting, and Ride checks for Racing.

Really, that's all. You can put more than one check or something else, but that's it for the pre-established rules.

Im not overly surprised about the Racing rules but i am surprised about the Jousting rules, i figured there'd be Attack Rolls and Bull Rush checks or something.

MisterKaws
2016-06-15, 11:46 PM
Im not overly surprised about the Racing rules but i am surprised about the Jousting rules, i figured there'd be Attack Rolls and Bull Rush checks or something.

Actually, I just found out that there are proper rules for Jousting in CW...

I really need to read more on those older supplements. Thought the only book with sports was CA.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-06-16, 12:32 AM
I know 5e has rules for chase scenes in the dungeon master guide. With all the material available in 3.5 I'd expect it to have similar rules somewhere. And a chase scene is basically a race, only this time the person you're chasing is also chasing you.

For a joust, if the rules in CW don't work out, I think it might be actually fun to do that as a minigame of sorts, physically at your table. Although I don't know exactly how I'd flesh that out... Maybe just never mind.

MisterKaws
2016-06-16, 07:39 AM
I know 5e has rules for chase scenes in the dungeon master guide. With all the material available in 3.5 I'd expect it to have similar rules somewhere. And a chase scene is basically a race, only this time the person you're chasing is also chasing you.

For a joust, if the rules in CW don't work out, I think it might be actually fun to do that as a minigame of sorts, physically at your table. Although I don't know exactly how I'd flesh that out... Maybe just never mind.

I do remember chase scenes in D&D, and they're just this:

Compare speed
Compare Constitution checks to see who tires first
Reflex saves if there's any obstacle. Missing one makes you prone, and you have to spend actions as normal to get up

Fitz10019
2016-06-16, 03:43 PM
When I ran a jousting tournament for my group (playing 3.5) years ago, I had each jouster roll 2 different colored d20's at the same time, one as their attack roll, and the other as their AC roll (replacing the take-10 of normal AC). The idea was the attacks are simultaneous, so you're defending at the same instance that you are attacking.

It made the joust different enough without being confusing.

Missing your opponent AND being hit in the same pass made a threat to be knocked off the horse, and the damage roll of the hit + 10 was the Ride DC to stay in the saddle. The PCs were 3rd level at the time, so you might want a different DC calculation if you're doing this with higher level PCs.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-06-16, 03:49 PM
When I ran a jousting tournament for my group playing 3.5 years ago, I had each jouster roll 2 different colored d20's at the same time, one as their attack roll, and the other as their AC roll (replacing the take-10 of normal AC). The idea was the attacks are simultaneous, so you're defending at the same instance that you are attacking.

Missing your opponent AND being hit in the same pass made a threat to be knocked off the horse, and the damage roll of the hit + 10 was the Ride DC to stay in the saddle. The PCs were 3rd level at the time, so you might want a different DC calculation if you're doing this with higher level PCs.

Ooh, do that one. This is a dice game that actually sets the mood of jousting. Plus it uses all the most relevant modifiers.

Blackhawk748
2016-06-16, 05:22 PM
I like it, quick, simple, and it doesnt require anyone to consult a table or do anything weird, like try to Sunder a lance.

Seriously? Why would you even bother?

Gildedragon
2016-06-16, 05:24 PM
When I ran a jousting tournament for my group (playing 3.5) years ago, I had each jouster roll 2 different colored d20's at the same time, one as their attack roll, and the other as their AC roll (replacing the take-10 of normal AC). The idea was the attacks are simultaneous, so you're defending at the same instance that you are attacking.

Oooh these are good!