PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Working on a new campaign suggestions on an idea?

Calibus
2016-06-16, 12:40 AM
So I'm working on a new project. However, I've been subjected to the same "Coincidence meeting" over and over. So I engineered a clever way to give players a reason and motive to work together.

Each player will have a 1on1 session. Each with a unique starting spot, but each leads towards the meeting spot where the player characters encounter each other in a natural way.

Is this a good way to get players into the game? I'm more worried for newer players and shyer players. Should I do a 1on2 instead?

How have other DMs handled the awkward start?

AmayaElls
2016-06-16, 01:16 AM
I would have this discussion with the players... help them figure out how they know each other and then use a plot hook to bring any separate groups together. Some players might choose to be related to one another, or old friends, or they may choose a chance encounter that led some of them to be travelling together. Talk to them about how they want this story to begin.

Regitnui
2016-06-16, 01:54 AM
A "Character Creation session" is often useful precampaign. My current campaign has a built-in reason; the PCs are the "special ops" team of the principality.

Herobizkit
2016-06-16, 05:50 AM
Borrowing from another game (Dungeon World), I'd suggest for each player to create one fact or opinion they have about each of the other characters. You could also come up with some on your own and have the PC's fill in the blanks.

For example, if you had a Thief character, perhaps you'd offer something like this:

I stole something from _______________.

_______________ has my back when things go wrong.

_______________ knows incriminating details about me.

_______________ and I have a con running.

... and have your Thief player fill in each blank with the names of the other PCs.

Shining Wrath
2016-06-16, 08:58 AM
I like to have a session 0 where we all come together and discuss questions like "How did you meet?" and do character creation as a group. Your idea is workable if schedules allow.

TheFlyingCleric
2016-06-16, 09:24 AM
You could have a sort of gradual 'accretion' of Adventurers. One Adventurer meets another somehow, then these two are joined by another, etc. until all party members are together. As each member gets the spotlight in turn, they each have an opportunity to introduce their character and show why they are now part of the party.

Another consequence is that some of the party members have seniority over the others. This may be useful if you want one of them to be the leader for whatever reason, or if you want them to be a bit more assertive.

Alternatively, just say "**** it, stereotypes exist for a reason" and have everyone start in an inn. Even as you cringe, it does lend the right atmosphere

Whatever process you take, make sure the introductions go fairly quickly. The real 'fun' only starts when all the party morons members are together and putting their collective heads together to find the absolute craziest course of action available in any and every situation.

BW022
2016-06-16, 09:33 PM
How have other DMs handled the awkward start?

One-on-one's work well. I'll give you some ideas of starts which I've done as a DM or had as a player.

1. The characters each obtain a deed giving them 20% of an inn in some place. This could be from gambling, thievery, goblins, etc. -- whatever their one-on-one takes. The arrive at the inn only to find 10 others all with various deeds giving them over 300% of the inn. Everyone was all scammed by a previous owner who fled. The group offers a reward if any 'volunteers' want to hunt the guy down.

2. Characters are on the same ship or caravan when it is attacked.

3. Characters have their master, mentor, close friend, family member, etc. talking about a plot and asking them to meet them in X days at a country-side inn. PCs arrive to find the inn burned down, their master/mentor/friend/family member dead, and witnesses saying a demon t-ported in and slaughtered them. PCs have to use their knowledge of what they were told to piece together who might be involved.

4. Characters are each given a reason to buy some information from a broker in town -- name of a spy, spell formula, some blackmail info on the city guard, location of a lost family seal, etc. They meet with the broker and he wants the head of an ogre in a nearby camp. PCs arrive all heading towards the camp.

TheProfessor85
2016-06-16, 09:44 PM
You could always have them meet up at a "quest board".

Or you could Tarantino it. And have a 1 on 1, where at the end of their little story they meet the others. "After walking the town at night to get some ideas rolling in about. You notice 3 figures ahead of you all holding the same mysterious scroll you received on your doorstep"