PDA

View Full Version : Batman wizard?

SensFan
2007-06-29, 10:44 AM
I've been playing DnD for a number of years now, but am new to these forums. A few times I have seen someone mention that "batman" wizards are the best wizards. What is a batman wizard, and why is it the best kind?

kkortekaas
2007-06-29, 10:46 AM
One of the board posters put up an excellent "How to" guide for wizards, detailing a spell selection process for utility spells,

hence, Batman.

Tengu
2007-06-29, 10:49 AM
Batman is the wizard who's actually smart and instead of memoryzing Magic Missile, Melf's Acid Arrow and Fireball, he gets Sleep, Web and Haste. Buffs, save-or-suck and save-or-die spells are much more powerful than direct damage magic in 95% of cases.

And the name is because, with preparation, he can win with anything.

kpenguin
2007-06-29, 11:14 AM
That gets me thinking, maybe we should name all the other types of wizards too. Like Blaster = Superman (trying to pummel someone into submission)

Tyger
2007-06-29, 11:15 AM
And, for your further edification, HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18500) is the thread, so that you can see exactly what he means.

Of course, this all pales beside RP, but from a purely mechanical point of view, its a great read and has some fantastic ideas and insights.

Inyssius Tor
2007-06-29, 11:18 AM
That gets me thinking, maybe we should name all the other types of wizards too. Like Blaster = Superman (trying to pummel someone into submission)

Except that, unlike Superman, the blaster has a glass jaw. Furthermore, we have a catchy name for blaster wizards. "Blaster."

Person_Man
2007-06-29, 11:21 AM
The Logic Ninja posted a guide on "being Batman" here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18500). It basically just refers to using your utility belt of different spells intelligently. It's a good guide, and lots of us still refer to it on a semi-regular basis even though its kinda old.

Desyth
2007-06-29, 01:24 PM
My favorite name for blaster casters is the seldom used "Glass Cannon". Yay MMO's!

Gorbad the Limb Rippa
2007-06-29, 04:20 PM
Yea,logic ninja's guide wasi a most enlightening read.Almost directly after reading it,i creates a diviner with my prohibited school being Evokation.The rest of my party thought me nuts,but the soon saw how much more useful the grease or sleep spell is than magic missle.
Yes,greased up zombies are far more entertaining than magic missled ones,
hehe

lord_khaine
2007-06-29, 04:25 PM
then maybe we should call the druids or clerics superman instead?

Morty
2007-06-29, 04:26 PM
Yes, TLN's guide is very professional and enlightening. But personally while I found TLN's advises very good mechanically, I also found type of wizard proposed by this guide boring and un-fun to play. I personally prefer mix of debuffs, buffs and damage(in descending order) without any battlefield control spells.

then maybe we should call the druids or clerics superman instead?

Cleric is Ironman. Druid, I don't know.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-06-29, 04:27 PM
Druids are Superman, I'd say! They can do almost anything, and they're vastly powerful both physically and at range.

Incidentally, ever since I started out I tended to play enchanters whenever I played a wizard, typically banning evocation. My groups thought I was crazy, too, but they can't argue with results. :smile: And now the Beguiler exists, and is pretty much my favorite class!

Amiria
2007-06-29, 05:59 PM
Bah, evocation rocks ! "I love the smell of bat guano in the morning." :smallwink: (well, not really ...)

But also remember: "... an eye of newt, some tears from a scorned lover, and a pinch of bat guano."
[Pause.]
"Class, remember that when you cast this spell, you are advised to use dried bat guano."
- Elmunchster, remembering why he hated that spell in the first place. :smallbiggrin:

WhammeWhamme
2007-06-29, 06:53 PM
Blaster = Superman kinda works. I mean, people hitting him is his Kryptonite. :smallbiggrin:

Droodle
2007-06-29, 07:13 PM
Druids are Superman, I'd say! They can do almost anything, and they're vastly powerful both physically and at range.Nah. A druid is what you get when Beastboy and Raven have kids.

Jack Mann
2007-06-29, 07:46 PM
Blaster = Superman kinda works. I mean, people hitting him is his Kryptonite. :smallbiggrin:

Evocation is his kryptonite.

geek_2049
2007-06-29, 08:01 PM
Monks are Aqua Man.

Piccamo
2007-06-29, 08:03 PM
No, monks are Howard the Duck.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-06-29, 08:08 PM
Clerics and Druids are CoDzilla (Cleric or Druid godzilla)

Sorcerers are Superman. Insane innate ability, with less tactical flexability than Batman, but a whole lot of raw power to throw around. Also has a tendency to use a hammer in nearly any situation since it's the only tool he owns. Plus, it just about takes Batman to be able to take one down, Behind Wizard, Cleric, and Druid... Sorcerer is solid in #4 for power, and with a good spells known list, might even be able to beat a poorly build wizard, cleric, or druid in the right circumstances.

edit: Here's a link to my Sorcerous Primer, which was intended to be for sorcerers what TLN's Batman Wizard was for Wizards Shneekey's Sorcerous Primer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18751)

SensFan
2007-07-04, 07:16 PM
One more question, I have seen the forums reference "Incantatrix". Is that the name of the PrC? What book is it in?

Emperor Tippy
2007-07-04, 07:21 PM
One more question, I have seen the forums reference "Incantatrix". Is that the name of the PrC? What book is it in?

It's a PrC. It's in one of the FR books. Players Guide to Faerun I believe.

Roland St. Jude
2007-07-04, 09:00 PM
This thread seems oddly off course. Lockinated.