PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Newb Classes?

CuriousWanderer
2016-06-16, 09:46 AM
I was told that Fighter was a good class for a newb player like myself to play in his first game.

Is that true? If it isn't what would you recommend?

N810
2016-06-16, 09:53 AM
it's true.

Stan
2016-06-16, 09:59 AM
If you're new to D&D, not just 5e, sticking to a non-spellcaster class, or at least one that that doesn't get spells at 1st level. Spells add another layer of complexity.
Fighter is probably the simplest but other classes aren't that bad. It's more important to play something that you're excited about playing.

Barbarian isn't too hard at it's core. Don't need armor. Just grab a really big weapon then run up and hit things. Sometimes, you will also have bonuses from rage.
Rogue is a tad tricky as you have to take advantage of tactics to make best use of your actions and to get sneak attacks.
Monk starts simple. Have high dexterity and decent wisdom. Hit things. After a few sessions, you'll have ki point to manage so you can do cool things a few times.
The semi spellcasters, paladin and ranger are like the fighter with a few powers swapped out and a few spells.

Even spellcasters aren't too hard to be decent in 5e. Pick a good damage cantrip to do something when you run out of spells.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-16, 10:30 AM
I was told that Fighter was a good class for a newb player like myself to play in his first game.

No, it is actually the worst class for a new player.

You learn everything a fighter can teach you in one battle. There are tons of other things a mean should learn and the fighter doesn't show you this.

The fighter also doesn't engage the player in the game any more than playing a race + background.

It may be the simplest class to learn *1d20 + Mod* but that is really all it will teach you.

Use the strength based admire rogue build and take arcane trickster. This will teach you everything in the game throughout the introductory levels of the game (1-3) and continue to allow you to learn as you get up to level 9 ish.

kaoskonfety
2016-06-16, 10:57 AM
I'd only softly recommend against preparation full casters - Wizards, Druids, Clerics. With a large lists and MANY choices each day it can be moderately overwhelming. Add to this class powers, divine channels, shape shifting or what have you and it might get to be a bit much.

Spontaneous casters (Warlock, Sorcerer, Bard) take some more work do build with spell selection but you have a fixed list of powers to worry about that grows fairly slowly. And if you pick a "wrong" spell - as in one it turns out you don't like later *cough Witches Bolt cough* you can swap it out later. Just make sure you have at least 1 go-to combat cantrip and pick what interests you otherwise.

I'd also highlight the Eldritch knight or Paladin if you want to get your feet wet in the magic system without "needing" to make it your main focus. Both work fine if you misuse your spells on and off (you can still hit dudes with the metal stick) and have small enough spells per day/available/other active class powers to narrow the window of choices a bit.

For absolute ease in play?
Champion Fighter, Barbarian (basically any of them) and Open Hand monk probably have the clearest abilities and least amount of complexity - no or very limited spells and most tricks are based on "x per day/rest" rather than charts and things you can do only really change when you level up.

Edit - for your first game seriously play the class that grabs you the most. Mine was wizard, back in 1st edition... good but very brief times. 1 hp, 1 spell (the DM gave me magic missile...) and "what AC?" SUCKS
Don't be afraid to go through character generations several times before play starts, ignore the stats and just stack up your skills/ class abilities/ backgrounds and deside what pile of tricks looks the most fun. Or write a character and THEN look at the book and find the class/race/background that fits it. Or just grab a pre-gen and try it out. There is no wrong way to start.

JumboWheat01
2016-06-16, 11:15 AM
The Champion Fighter is pretty much designed to be as beginner friendly as possible. All its class features are passive and loaded onto the simple-to-play fighter chassis. It's a good way to get your feet wet in the game mechanics, since sure, you're just smacking things with a weapon, but you're watching the others play, you can learn off of them as you go.

jas61292
2016-06-16, 11:34 AM
No, it is actually the worst class for a new player.

You learn everything a fighter can teach you in one battle. There are tons of other things a mean should learn and the fighter doesn't show you this.

The fighter also doesn't engage the player in the game any more than playing a race + background.

It may be the simplest class to learn *1d20 + Mod* but that is really all it will teach you.

Use the strength based admire rogue build and take arcane trickster. This will teach you everything in the game throughout the introductory levels of the game (1-3) and continue to allow you to learn as you get up to level 9 ish.

I disagree with this, for the most part. If you are coming in with plenty of RPG experience, but no D&D 5e experience, then sure, fighter is not going to give you the best mechanical introduction.

However, for players who are actually new to RPGs as a whole, fighter is the best. To many options makes new players think with their character sheet, rather than their brain, especially if they are a video game player. This is a very bad habit to get into. A simple class gets them thinking what they want to do, rather than what "button" they want to press, which forms good habits for when they do pay more complex classes.

Learning mechanics is easy. Unlearning bad habits is hard.

Slipperychicken
2016-06-16, 11:53 AM

It is good for new players because the role is straightforward and a player doesn't need to know very much to play a fighter well. As long as you put points in your attack stat and spend most of your turns hurting enemies, it's hard to screw it up. I've seen a number of players (including myself) get bored of playing fighters and other "martial" classes because there aren't as many hard choices to make in combat. Most rounds you'll probably be saying "I hit it again", so I find it helpful to instead briefly(!) describe how your character is attacking and moving in combat.

However, 5e is simple enough that as long as you grasp the basics, I think a newbie could potentially do any class if he's starting from level 1. If you want to play a caster, I'd actually recommend a cleric or druid so that you can easily switch out any spell choices that you don't like.

Also, you don't have to be locked in to your first character. If you start to feel unsatisfied, feel free to try another one that better suits what you want to do. Groups I'm in generally offer inexperienced players one or more opportunities to mulligan, to let them change character details or class if they feel they've made a wrong choice at character creation.

Azedenkae
2016-06-16, 11:57 AM
I can certainly tell you a number of classes (or at least archetypes) to NOT play if you are a newbie, but to suggest what you should play... I would rather know what your preferences are. Do you want to go all out, or be reserved? Are you geared towards er, evilness? Would you be willing to slaughter your enemies?

Do you like to cast magic? Or beat stuff up?

Melee or ranged?

Do you like to be involved in the fluff side of the game? Like trying to disarm traps, talk enemies down, etc.

There are 'easy' classes, like what people have suggested: Champion Fighter and all that. However, I do not think easy quite translates to a newb class. I've known people who play Champions and got bored real quick, and just because you're a newbie doesn't mean you need to be hand-fed.

Let us know what your preferences are, and I'll let you know what, in my opinion, is a suitable class and archetype. :)

R.Shackleford
2016-06-16, 12:08 PM
I'd only softly recommend against preparation full casters - Wizards, Druids, Clerics. With a large lists and MANY choices each day it can be moderately overwhelming. Add to this class powers, divine channels, shape shifting or what have you and it might get to be a bit much.

Spontaneous casters (Warlock, Sorcerer, Bard) take some more work do build with spell selection but you have a fixed list of powers to worry about that grows fairly slowly. And if you pick a "wrong" spell - as in one it turns out you don't like later *cough Witches Bolt cough* you can swap it out later. Just make sure you have at least 1 go-to combat cantrip and pick what interests you otherwise.

I'd also highlight the Eldritch knight or Paladin if you want to get your feet wet in the magic system without "needing" to make it your main focus. Both work fine if you misuse your spells on and off (you can still hit dudes with the metal stick) and have small enough spells per day/available/other active class powers to narrow the window of choices a bit.

For absolute ease in play?
Champion Fighter, Barbarian (basically any of them) and Open Hand monk probably have the clearest abilities and least amount of complexity - no or very limited spells and most tricks are based on "x per day/rest" rather than charts and things you can do only really change when you level up.

Edit - for your first game seriously play the class that grabs you the most. Mine was wizard, back in 1st edition... good but very brief times. 1 hp, 1 spell (the DM gave me magic missile...) and "what AC?" SUCKS
Don't be afraid to go through character generations several times before play starts, ignore the stats and just stack up your skills/ class abilities/ backgrounds and deside what pile of tricks looks the most fun. Or write a character and THEN look at the book and find the class/race/background that fits it. Or just grab a pre-gen and try it out. There is no wrong way to start.

I can not express how important this is.

Take the easy option of whatever you choose IF you need it but always pick the class that grabs you.

The most popular class I saw in public play *shudder* was the Ranger, Paladin, and Cleric.

Only more veteran players picked up the fighter and it was typically from *we need a fighter*.

New players gravitated to ranger/paladins like flies to owlbear poo.

Edit

On RPG experience.

This isn't the 70's where kids and adults weren't engaged in a multiple different videogames that are hundreds of times more complicated than D&D. Don't treat new players like they have no background in this.

I've seen plenty of kids (kids night at gaming atores) come in and pick up wizards and find them to be simple.

I think a big problem is RPG players like to think their hobby is hard to pick up like perhaps 1e or 2e was but... Picking up the hobby isn't hard at all. Optimizing may be slightly challenging but optimization isn't needed to play the game.

Socratov
2016-06-16, 12:22 PM
While I generally would discourage banning classes, I'd advice against ranger, monk and spontaenous casters. The first two because to be effective like the rest they take a bit of knowledge on tactics, or just take work. period. The third because choices have real consequences: you are more or less stuck with the spells you get.

However, if you were a newb in my game and I'd actually pick up the glove and actually DM, I'd create a rule that as a newb you'd be able to switch out more spells as a spontaneous caster to 1) try them out, 2) to make the consequences of a wrong choice that much lesser. Not as well as the wizard, cleric or druid, but all the same. I'd especially advice on Moon Druid: you get casting (fun!), and from lvl 2 onwards you get pretty fun animal shapes. Relatively simple, heaps of fun and with the flexibility to work any angle (weapon user, natural attack user, buffer, debuffer, healer, tank, striker and attack spell caster)

For that matter, I find that 5e works best when starting with a concept, rather then a class, especially for newer players. Tell us who you want to be and we'll assist you in making that character. Don't be afraid to 'borrow inspiration' form media you like.

For us to help you in this way, start with answering the following questions:

Who are you
What do you feel strong or competent in
When do you feel vulnerable
Do you face yoru enem in an open battlefield, or strike from the shadows in their backs
weapons or magic?
what would your character do if he wasn't adventuring?
What is your reason to start adventuring?

Tl;dr: You tell us who you are, in return we'll tell you what you can be.

Anonymouswizard
2016-06-16, 12:22 PM

It depends. I never liked the Fighter, the only reason I didn't play a magic-user as my first character is that my younger brother nabbed the class.

The Champion Fighter is simple and a good option for people who don't want to game the system in any way. I know several people like that, they aren't people who don't want to be there but rather people who just don't want to devote any brainpower to learn rules that they don't need to.

The Battle Master Fighter is another beast. He's the fighter for those who want to be a Fighter but don't want to attack every round. Harder to learn and not really more effective than the Champion, but proper marshalling of your abilities can make the difference between your side winning or losing (my current character, nicknamed Bolt Dwarf, uses a crossbow to place my trips and disarms exactly where needed). Bare in mind that you do have to track a resource ('superiority dice', I don't have enough d8s so I dedicated a tracking d6).

Both are good for starting players, not too complex and you can pick if you want in-combat options or not). Other classes I'd suggest are the Barbarian (Berserker or Totem Warrior), Dragon or Storm Sorcerer (Wild Magic is very much a 'minimum safe distance' affair), and Ranger.

However, it's possibly to learn the game by playing any class. Pick Wizard or Cleric if it appeals to you, just bear in mind that it could be a lot more difficult (although the want to play a certain class should offset it).

RickAllison
2016-06-16, 01:12 PM
My list of newbie-friendly classes favors simpler classes. IMO, this is best for newbies not because they have fewer options, but because they open up new options. With a class like a wizard, they are encouraged to use the variety of class options to solve their problems, just as in any game. In contrast, a class like the Champion Fighter with fewer options that directly solve problems encourage improvised actions that differentiate TTRPGs from video and board games. And so:

Martials:

Fighters, especially Champions, but the other archetypes function just as well and the EK gives a great introduction to spellcasting mechanics while retaining the basic capabilities that keep the fighter consistently able to engage in and improvise with combat.

Barbarians. These are more difficult due to the reliance on long rests and the rationing of hp, but are both accessible and encourage lateral thinking.

Rogues. I consider these one of the best introductory classes because the nature of Sneak Attack encourages problem-solving with the extra skills of the class.

Casters:

Sorcerers. Limited spell-lists encourage learning to better use what spells one does have in contrast to finding the perfect spell for a problem.

Warlocks. Short rest dependence and at-will abilities keep the warlock ever engaged and adapting.

Specter
2016-06-16, 02:31 PM
The best classes for noobs in my opinion are:

- Fighter: Hit, then hit a bit better, then hit again. Especially the Champion archetype.
- Barbarian: Also not a lot of complexity going on. The totem powers are mostly passive bonuses that don't need to be activated.
- Paladin: A paladin gets spellcasting, but a Paladin can use his spell slots all for smites without missing out. Many main features are also passive (other than smiting, which you must choose to use).

Things to strongly avoid: Druid (for the Wild Shape complexity), Wizard (because Wizards) and Monks (too much stuff to do).

Easy_Lee
2016-06-16, 02:37 PM
Check out Grod's document on all of 5e. It includes summaries of each class and archetype, and includes relative complexity of play. Also has information on races, subraces, and more. Should be great for any new player.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18y_5XYSAnPwx0ibtXJER2k7gEFA8z4A8QySK0wngi _Y

MrStabby
2016-06-16, 02:49 PM
I would recommend paladin. Its peak complexity isn't that great and it starts our very simple.

Its progression adds complexity as you master the previous levels.

The ability to use spell slots but not worry about spells known till you want to gets you the experience of managing resources without over-complication.

Also - paladin tends to be quite tough so it is more forgiving of tactical mistakes (and toughness is very important for surviving the low levels).

CuriousWanderer
2016-06-16, 03:14 PM
Thank you all for your advice, I think I will make a Champion Fighter for my first game.

Gubbster
2016-06-18, 08:09 AM
Just play whatever you want, if there is at least 1 person there that knows what they are doing you should be good.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-18, 09:32 AM
The best classes for noobs in my opinion are:

- Fighter: Hit, then hit a bit better, then hit again. Especially the Champion archetype.
- Barbarian: Also not a lot of complexity going on. The totem powers are mostly passive bonuses that don't need to be activated.
- Paladin: A paladin gets spellcasting, but a Paladin can use his spell slots all for smites without missing out. Many main features are also passive (other than smiting, which you must choose to use).

Things to strongly avoid: Druid (for the Wild Shape complexity), Wizard (because Wizards) and Monks (too much stuff to do).

In all honesty Wizards and Monks aren't all that hard. I've seen plenty of first timers pick them up and go. Including kids who haven't played TTRPGs before.

D&D is not a hard hobby to pick up at all even the most complex classes are becoming child's play compared to videogames.

If you want people to learn the mechanics you actually have to let them use the mechanics. Wizards and Monks are great for that.

Anonymouswizard
2016-06-18, 09:55 AM
In all honesty Wizards and Monks aren't all that hard. I've seen plenty of first timers pick them up and go. Including kids who haven't played TTRPGs before.

I'd still recommend Sorcerers over Wizards for a first timer, but that's because being able to pick a good set of spells for today is a big deal, and I don't want them to have to mess around with their spell list after every long rest just in case they should swap out a spell for a different one. This is actually for everyone else at the table, as if you have a good idea of how spells work it'll probably take a minute or two of 'swap out spell X for spell Y' but if you are new to the game it could take significantly longer.

Of course, it's not really an issue before level 5 or so, and so I'd be fine with a new player being a wizard if we started at level 1 or level 3. It's just that the planning element of the wizard has caused problems for players used to TTRPGs, so it's not one I'd recommend (although if they said 'I wanted to play a wizard' and meant a bookish caster I'd allow it, I mean we're playing a fantasy game and not a reality game).

Sir cryosin
2016-06-18, 10:46 AM
In my opinion I'll say a blaster warlock or any fighter. I think a warlock would be a nice fit because you as a pc have made a contract with a powerful bean. To gain power so you have good rp there and if you work with your DM. Your contractor jumps in and add chances for you to role-play a little bit more so you get familiar with it. And a warlock will teach you about spells and spell management and selection a. A ek wI'll teach your all that to if your want a melee focus.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-18, 11:08 AM
I'd still recommend Sorcerers over Wizards for a first timer, but that's because being able to pick a good set of spells for today is a big deal, and I don't want them to have to mess around with their spell list after every long rest just in case they should swap out a spell for a different one. This is actually for everyone else at the table, as if you have a good idea of how spells work it'll probably take a minute or two of 'swap out spell X for spell Y' but if you are new to the game it could take significantly longer.

Of course, it's not really an issue before level 5 or so, and so I'd be fine with a new player being a wizard if we started at level 1 or level 3. It's just that the planning element of the wizard has caused problems for players used to TTRPGs, so it's not one I'd recommend (although if they said 'I wanted to play a wizard' and meant a bookish caster I'd allow it, I mean we're playing a fantasy game and not a reality game).

I would say Sorcerer > Wizards because they have a Cha focus and giving new players cha skills and Cha bonus will help push them attempt more social roles and go toward learning the role-playing aspect of the game which can be harder than the mechanical part of the game.

Plus even if they can't roleplay social situations they can rollplay them and still contribute.

Plus the Dragon Sorcerer has a base AC and don't have to waste a slot in mage armor. The player can focus on using spells they want and not spells they may need.

Hrugner
2016-06-18, 01:07 PM
I think it's more a question of whether or not you have time to read through spells or not. I'd never recommend something as passive as a champion fighter or Eldritch Blast warlock for a new player though, it seems pretty boring. It's not going to take more than an hour or so to learn how to play your character, a little longer if you have spells but you only need to learn about your first level spells right off.

You should be fine with any class so long as you understand bounded accuracy, what the new conditions do, how concentration works and what the action types are. I'd avoid the warlock as it's an odd ball class, and maybe the druid so you don't need to look through animal forms.

Slipperychicken
2016-06-18, 01:16 PM
Thank you all for your advice, I think I will make a Champion Fighter for my first game.

Good luck. I hope you don't have a bad time.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-18, 01:47 PM
Good luck. I hope you don't have a bad time.

That's a pretty depressing yet accurate way to look at someone's first time.

TheProfessor85
2016-06-18, 01:53 PM
Champion Fighter or a Dragon Sorcerer and just pick attack spells

R.Shackleford
2016-06-18, 01:55 PM
Champion Fighter or a Dragon Sorcerer and just pick attack spells

Which teaches you very little about the game.

It takes, one or two rounds to teach AC versus attack rolls.

RickAllison
2016-06-18, 02:04 PM
Which teaches you very little about the game.

Are there even that many attack roll-spells?

R.Shackleford
2016-06-18, 02:52 PM
Are there even that many attack roll-spells?

Not really.

I'm assuming the person meant to only cast attack roll spells.

For learning I think I would give someone a Fighter 1/Rogue 2 with Vhuman.

Melee: Dueling
Ranged: Archery

Variant Human (Druid) for Frostbite, Produce Flame, and Earth Tremor (melee) or Entangle (ranged).

Expertise is a social skill and athletics

Strength or Dex + Con + Wis.

This Will teach you everything, is simple, and won't allow you to fall behind mechanically

Actually I think I'm going to make an"learning group" and start using them as pregens for teaching.

Socratov
2016-06-20, 03:06 AM

snipperino neighbourino

I get your point, yet am of the exact opposite opinion: if you pick the worng spell on a sorcerer it will take alevel to get it out (barring newb rules on spell picks). On a wizard it just takes a long rest. also, the wizard will prepare more spells then the sorcerer has known ans so has likely something that can be applied directly in more situations then the sorcerer. For a sorcerer to be played well you need to know your spells, the limits of what they are capable of, the ways you can adapt them to situations though metamagic and what situations reduces you to a bag of meat (again, unless you make allowances for that regarding spells known).

though this is all in a purely relative manner and not even comparing to 3.5 where I would tell you that wizards are nice and all, but that other classes would be better for starting, but in 5e everything is streamlined a lot better and it doesn't really matter.

I also think that if you let them pick their own spells and have them try them out that their grasp of the mechanics and spells will improve a lot better then when you pick the spells for them. To this effect it's better to play druid or cleric where you know all of the spell sof your class, you just can only prepare so many... that's why I'd advocate land druid: you have a few you always know, and the rest can be switched out at your leisure.

Slipperychicken
2016-06-20, 06:52 PM

I've been playing 5e with some people who had played AD&D 2e for about 10 years, one of whom played an elf fighter at level 1. Attack rolls were pretty disorienting to both of them, I think because they're used to THAC0. They're not hopeless or anything, I just figure it'll take a few sessions to properly get the hang of it.

Safety Sword
2016-06-20, 07:14 PM
The most important factor is going to be having a good DM who is patient and allows you to make mistakes. It's OK not to know everything at the start.

Play what is fun for you, or what you imagine a heroic character to be.