PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pass for Human tiefling + Racial Heritage (orc) = half-orc?

Levism84
2016-06-16, 01:32 PM
If a tiefling (or other native outsider with a alternative racial trait that allows them to count as human in addition to native outsiders) takes the Racial Heritage feat to be treated as an orc, would they be treated as half-orcs as well since they would be treated as both humans and orcs? Or would you have to take Racial Heritage (half-orc) to be treated as half-orcs in this way? I am wondering because I was looking for a way to have a tiefling pick up the Redeemer archetype for Paladin.

Thank in advance for your help.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-06-16, 07:18 PM
Are you trying to be treated as a "half-orc" for a reason? Half-orcs themselves count as both human and orc, so they really are an amalgamation already.

As for that combination of traits and feats, I think it stands to reason that you would be a native outsider/humanoid (human, orc) with the appropriate heritage. From there the only question I would have as a DM is, "What do you want to look like and what do you plan to do with that particular combination?"

Levism84
2016-06-17, 11:57 AM
Are you trying to be treated as a "half-orc" for a reason?

As I stated in my OP, I am looking for a way to have a tiefling be able to pick up the Redeemer archetype for paladin, an archetype only available to half-orcs.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-06-17, 01:22 PM
As I stated in my OP, I am looking for a way to have a tiefling be able to pick up the Redeemer archetype for paladin, an archetype only available to half-orcs.
From the material describing the Racial Archetypes you find the following:

Racial Archetypes
This section presents two archetypes for each of the expanded races. Sometimes, an entry in this section presents a new cavalier order or sorcerer bloodline instead of an archetype. Typically, only members of the section's race can take the listed archetype, bloodline, or order, though such options rarely interact with the racial traits or alternate racial traits of that race. An archetype usually features a thematic link to the race, granting it class features that complement the abilities and the background of the race. Because adventurers are often societal outliers, sometimes these archetypes feature a theme that is the exception to the norm for racial tendencies. The following is a list of all the archetypes featured in this chapter, listed by race. The class for each archetype is listed in parentheses. If the option is a sorcerer bloodline instead of an archetype, this is also called out in parentheses.
As a DM if you could justify the RP aspect of the half-orc racial experience (as you have) then I would allow it. I do know for a fact that half-orcs can take the racial archetype for the Scarred Witch Doctor in spite of not being full orcs, so I think you are in good shape.

Barstro
2016-06-17, 01:58 PM
I'll submit the my strict legal reading so you can prepare for what questions your DM may have.

"Half-orcs are Humanoid creatures with both the human and orc subtypes"

I do not know what Trait you are using, but I will assume it has similar language.

However; the fact that "Half-orc" gives the subtypes of "Human" and "Orc" does not automatically mean that having the "Orc" and "Human" subtypes means you are a half-orc. There may be other ways to become "A" and "B" without being "C".

But I would assume that a DM would allow someone who looks like a half-orc into the class.