PDA

View Full Version : Dyer's Tomb Raiders

Pages : [1] 2

DyerMaker
2016-06-16, 02:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tKBasdm.png
image fmacmanus

Seven years ago, Pharaoh Khemet III, the Ruby Prince, formally opened Osirion's ancient tombs and burial sites to foreign explorers. Khemet III understood that adventurers who've traveled great distances in search of treasure typically do not return from whence they came to sell their discoveries. Instead, they typically sell or trade what they do not keep as quickly as possible at the closest civilized community with an economy strong enough to absorb an influx of valuable antiquities. The Ruby Prince's policy has attracted not only explorers to the desert nation of Osirion, but also countless scholars, private collectors, special interest groups such as the Pathfinder Society, and financial interests from all across the Inner Sea. A minor industry has sprung up just to support visiting explorers, and an even larger infrastructure has come into being to serve foreign investors and traders. Every opening of a major site has heralded an economic boom, for the local area and Osirion as a whole.

It is the 28th day of Gozran, 4710. You awoke this morning to a mild 75ºF. It was a cool night, so you slept very well. The sun now shines through the drapes in your room. You hear the clamor of vendors opening their stalls and shops. It is a new day and everything is right in your world. In merely 48 hours the church of Pharasma will hold a lottery to open new tombs for adventuring companies. You and your friends will be there to cast your lots—some you've yet to meet. It doesn't bother you that the group is new. Deep within your soul you trust those you know to recruit quality candidates. After all, you trust them as they place their trust in you. It is an exciting and anxious time. All of your life you have wondered what mysteries lie yet unearthed. And now, your moment is here. You are an adventurer.

grifter730
2016-06-16, 08:32 PM
Rahotep is woken by the sunlight flitting through the drapes. The cool gentle air feels wonderful to the skin. He goes through his morning ritual, checking his skin and dressing it, washing his face and wrapping his head, and then down to eat a quick breakfast.

Today was the day of the gathering, the first time the party will all be together in the same place. A nervous feeling crept up his spine. "No point in delaying the inevitable..."

Phasm
2016-06-17, 12:49 AM
Khairi awakens to the bustle and clamor of vendors setting up for the day and hawking their wares to early customers. For once, she doesn't mind at all. Today she'll meet the last member of her new adventuring party! She trusts Rahotep's and Oret's judgment, and they really do need a wizard. An elf! I don't believe I've ever met an elf before. Well, she might have. There's really no way of telling what race Rahotep is under all the bandages.

Before everything else, though, Khairi needs to attune herself to her implements. It takes longer than usual to calm her excited mind this morning and meditate. She manages, though; Te-Aten taught her well. A quick wash, some clean clothes, and a simple breakfast later, and she's on her way to the square where they agreed to meet.

BramsesII
2016-06-17, 02:49 PM
Senefer

It's finally time. Senefer has been both awaiting and dreading this day for a while now, ever since Khairi came up with the plan to sign up for some tombraiding. They haven't spoken since the original suggestion. Khairi's probably been busy, but Senefer is glad she'll get to see her friend again today. It may not have been that long, but the days leading up to this one all seemed to take forever.

The young tiefling, having finished studying her spells and putting on her clothes, walks over to the window to get a good look outside. It looks like it's going to be a nice day, but that lump in the pit of her stomach is going to be there a while. After all, life so far has been mostly training. Swords, knives, rapiers, bows, spells. Never actual fighting. Life's going to be a lot different from now on. She sighs and turns to head downstairs. Breakfast time.

Fortunately, Rahotep is coming as well. Being a relative outcast as well, Senefer has trusted him since their lengthy - and relatively honest - conversation about curses. The real question is if his - and Khairi's - other friends are going to be equally trustworthy.

Senefer is too absorbed in her own thoughts to say anything to Ilia sitting across the table from her. After having shoveled her breakfast into her mouth, the tiefling gets up and gives the frail old woman a warm hug. "Be safe, alright? I'll come back. Hopefully. Try not to die on me in the meantime." The cheeky grin hides her worries. Ilia's health has been failing over the last few months. She probably doesn't have that much longer to live. Senefer can only hope that the old woman does not die while she's poking around in some tomb.

"It's time." One final nod, and Senefer collects her things. She places her hand on the door and pushes it open her senses assaulted by the smells and noises of Wati. Her mind races with a million thoughts. A big grin forms on her features. "Right. Let's do this."

Gunhaven
2016-06-17, 06:10 PM
Oret awoke slowly. Today was the day that his comrades would meet back up. At least he thought he remembered Elentis saying that today was the day and Khairi had confirmed that this would be the best chance to figure out what he was. He spent a few minutes adjusting to the coolish weather as he started to put on his armor followed by his native robes. Finally he gathered up his belongings and dumped them in his pack before grabbing his earth breaker and left his room.
He had a simple breakfast of bread and water, made sure his tab was settled, and began the trek toward the temple. He was in no real rush, figuring there was no need currently. Instead he kept an eye out, somewhat resenting his short stature due to his strange heritage. But on the bright side he was apparently a noble!

HappyMerecat
2016-06-17, 10:24 PM
Elentis

As usual Elentis rose with he sun. He never understood how most people disliked getting up. It was another day to learn and today to maybe be chosen to be able to enter the tombs and learn. He tried not to be too excited. There was no guarantee they would be chosen.

DyerMaker
2016-06-18, 04:17 PM
Making your way from your humble homes in the Asp district to the Sunburst Market the city is much more crowded than normal. With the announcement of the lottery, the population has nearly tripled in size. The size of the city's security force can't possibly manage these crowds.

Passing the Golden Lake, you arrive in time to see Osirions rare, white crocodiles being fed live chickens by the Croc Keepers. You've seen these beautiful creatures before, but its rare to see them feed. Crowds gather to watch the spectacle. These crocodiles are sacred to Wati's Pharasmin church and are the long-lived cousins of the more dangerous crocodiles found in Osirion's rivers.

The Sunburst Market is an enormous open-air market that forms the bustling heart of Wati. Decorated pillars mark out a regular grid from the painted sandstone columns. The entire market is a maze of tents and tables where various merchants advertise their wares in every way possible. The fire-eaters bring attention to the alchemical huts, the belly dancers bring attention to huts selling artwork and relics and then there are the barkers, these fast-talking, loud merchants who'll do anything to pull you closer or to give them a second look. Any eye contact and you're almost guaranteed to at least check the price of goods. You notice quite a few merchants selling specific adventuring gear in obvious anticipation of the days to come.

It is here that you begin to see familiar faces; Khairi, Rahotep (who's encountering mockery, looks of fear, and whispers from every direction), Senefer, Oret, Elentis.

BramsesII
2016-06-18, 05:18 PM
Senefer

The walk to the meeting place is a pleasant one. Senefer doesn't mind the hustle and bustle of the city. In fact, she finds herself enjoying it a lot. It reminds her of home. She does take care not to make eye contact with any merchants today though. No time to haggle, adventure is calling. Passing the golden lake, she finds herself involuntarily shuddering at the sight of the majestic crocodiles eating live chickens. They're awe-inspiring creatures, but she really wouldn't want to get to close to one of them. At best, she'd lose her tail, and even though it can be a nuisance, she's still very much attached to it. Literally.

Earlier than anticipated she finds herself at the meeting spot, looking around for Rahotep and Khairi. Either the two of them have not arrived yet, or Senefer missed them somehow. Wouldn't be the first time that happened. The tiefling grins as she saunters over to a nearby wall to lean against. I guess we're waiting.

Phasm
2016-06-18, 07:01 PM
Khairi makes her way through the market, hoping her headscarf stays firmly in place. She really does not want to deal with the stares and well-intentioned buckets of water that her permanently flaming hair tends to cause. Poor Senefer, it's a bit harder to hide that tail. Dodging merchants, shoppers, carts and beasts of burden, the aasimar finally reaches the party's agreed-upon meeting spot. "Senefer! Good morning!" Khairi waves and makes her way over to the wall where her new comrade is leaning. "Have you seen any of the others yet?"

grifter730
2016-06-18, 08:24 PM
Rahotep cuts his way through through the city, accepting the open glare of most people with a smile, even if the smile was hidden behind his wrappings. He wasn't going to let simple curiosity, or even obvious disdain, ruin this auspicious day. Besides, he doesn't have to push and shove his way through the throng of bodies the way most people do. No one wants to touch the diseased looking mummy man, so the paths tend to open up before him, allowing him to walk through like water flowing through a dry stream bed.

Rahotep wasn't the first one to arrive, but he wasn't the last either. He waves to Khairi and Senefer, consciously keeping his hands to himself instead of offering it to them. He's been so desperate for friends ever since his affliction, the last thing he needed was to put his new companions in the uncomfortable position of choosing whether or not to shake hands with him and touch him. He finally has a real shot at making friends, and going on an adventure to boot!

A gust of wind blew from out of nowhere, whispering yet again its curse. Death shall come on swift wings to those who disturb the sleep of the King.

Rahotep smacks the air by his ear, as if shooing a fly. "So, how's everyone doing on this beautiful morning?" He asked.

HappyMerecat
2016-06-18, 09:12 PM
Elentis

Makes his way to the meeting point as the time approaches to meet. With his elven looks, green clothes, bow and sword, he was rarely taken as a mage of any sort. To most of the people of Osirion he was a caricature of a northern elf. He flowed easily through the crowd that he had grown comfortable around even if most of them were not comfortable with him.

Upon seeing Rahotep he smiles and seeing speaking with two others assumed that must be other members of the group. "Rahotep, my friend."
Looking to the others he bowed. "I am Elentis Lyrannel at your service."

Gunhaven
2016-06-19, 05:31 AM
Oret slows a bit as he gets to the market, trying to remain courteous and not barrel over people quite yet. Every few people, though, refused to budge and needed some aid from the dwarf-sized rock. Eventually he got to the wall they agreed to meet and looked around. After a moment of slowly increasing tension he realizes he's a couple dozen feet off, noticing first the elf's voice, then his tell-tale appearance. As he closed the distance he saw Khairi's headscarf and a couple others that were mingling with his comrades. A dozen feet off and he raised an onyx hand while calling out "A pleasure to see everyone. Am I the last of our group?"

DyerMaker
2016-06-19, 11:08 AM
As you gather, a Keles.hite man approaches. He wears a silk, purple turban with matching purple robes. He is well kempt with a black, chin curtain beard and tons of jewelry. He approaches with his hands open, palms forward.
Friends, friends, pardon my interruption. My name is Hamid. He bows slightly. I am a simple merchant but fair. Hamid talks with a lot of hand gestures. I can see that you are a group of the adventuring type. Should you venture into the Necropolis, you might find trinkets or items that you wish to sell. Please, he bows slightly again, consider my shop, Hamid's Emporium (he points to his stall and tent), as your first stop. Beware the fast-talking, disreputable vendors! Their prices are no good. Be well my friends and may Pharasma bless your journey.

BramsesII
2016-06-19, 02:10 PM
Senefer

"Khairi! Fiery Khairi! You have no idea how good it is to see you." Senefer notices the aasimar only when her name is called out, but she greets her friend with a large grin. "How's the hair? Did you manage to put it out yet?" And a wink. Her tail whips back and forth excitedly.

"Have you seen any of the others yet?"

"I didn't see any... There we go." As the others appear one by one, Senefer greets them all with a friendly smile.

Rahotep...

- "Rahotep, my bandaged buddy! Beautiful morning indeed. Reminded me of you." She laughs just a little too loudly at her own joke and claps the half-elf on the shoulder. "Good to see you."

... Elentis...

- "Well met, Elentis Lyrannel. I'm Senefer. I'm guessing you're a friend of the Great Gauzed one?" She glances towards Rahotep and grins. "What brings an elf this far away from the forest? Or is there a very sneaky forest around here that I don't know about?" She smiles and turns back to Elentis.

... and Oret.

- "You are the last one indeed, my obsidian associate. My name's Senefer." She turns to glance at Elentis, then Khairi. "Since that foresty fellow is a friend of Rahotep, I assume you're an acquaintance of Khairi?" She looks around at the group, her tail still whipping " We're complete, then. Is everyone ready to..."

Friends, friends, pardon my interruption. My name is Hamid.

Senefer looks at the bearded interruption with a mildly amused smirk. She lets the man finish; antagonizing merchants is never a good idea. When he finishes, she nods all friendly-like and replies. "We'll be sure to keep that in mind, honorable Hamid."

The tiefling turns back to the others. "Uh... What was I saying again?"

grifter730
2016-06-19, 04:02 PM
Rahotep looked at the last arrival, a dwarf of considerable stature. "Well met, Oret. I am called Rahotep, though some simply call me Ra, and others call me Hotep, but please, not just Ho."

As everyone's introductions were just beginning, they were interrupted by a merchant. When the man was about to leave, Rahotep lightly touched the man's sleeve, careful to touch as little of the man as possible, lest he scare the man away. "Hamid, my friend, tell me, how many other adventurers have you made this kind of offer to, and do you have any information that might be of value to us regarding said adventurers, or just adventures in general?"

DyerMaker
2016-06-19, 06:17 PM
Hamid looks toward you with a sly smile. My new friend, what is your name please? It is good to know you. I have approached many adventuring types because it is important to help those who are new to the tombs and it is good for business. It's very difficult for some to properly appraise these ancient relics. Prior to going into business for myself, I was—how do you say—an apprentice to acclaimed Osirionologists, professor Sallah Satipo. This gives me an edge over the competition—you see?

HappyMerecat
2016-06-19, 07:16 PM
Elentis

Elentis laughs. "No, no forests around that I have found. I have traveled much o the inner sea and this place called to me. I found it facinating and so here I have been for years studying this place and it's history."

Gunhaven
2016-06-19, 07:53 PM
Oret opened his mouth to speak when he was interrupted by the merchant. He waited patiently for people to get done talking before he said "It's good to meet you as well, Senefer. I am Oret, friend of our elf and the fiery one. As for our sixth..." He motioned to the merchant and said with a hint of disdain tainting his otherwise drawling voice "...you all can tell him our position. I am not one for talk."

Phasm
2016-06-19, 09:55 PM
"Rahotep, Oret, good morning! And I'm glad to meet you, Elentis." Khairi rolls her golden eyes at Senefer's nickname, but can't quite help smiling a bit. "My hair doesn't work that way, you know that." When the merchant approaches she falls silent. She knows herself, she's not much good at haggling or negotiation. Rahotep ran a clinic, that means he negotiated with suppliers for herbs and bandages and such. He sounds much more comfortable dealing with Hamid than she is.

grifter730
2016-06-19, 10:42 PM
Rahotep nods at the man. "I am called Rahotep. Perhaps we shall do business in the near future. I have the ears of the gods, and they smile upon us." He gives Hamid a wink.

DyerMaker
2016-06-19, 11:53 PM
In all of the chaos that surrounds you, Maalik of the Scarab Blades catches your eye from across the market. He notices you as well and tips his sand-colored fedora with a smile as he passes.

BramsesII
2016-06-20, 05:04 PM
Senefer

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Elentis. You too Oret." The tiefling bows to her two new acquaintances, then grins when Khairi replies to her little joke. She turns to face the aasimar, patting her on the shoulder. "I know. Fair warning: that won't stop me from trying at some point, though." She winks at the aasimar before addressing the entire group.

"Well, since we're all here, I guess we can sign up. Who wants to do the honors? I'd go myself but..." Her tail stops swinging from side to side and instead moves upward, where she waves with it slightly over her right shoulder. "I don't think this is going to make me a lot of friends. Besides, we'd need our leader to do that. I'm not leader material."

grifter730
2016-06-20, 05:41 PM
Rahotep clears his throat. "Unless anyone objects, I'll volunteer for the registration. My archaeological background may provide some help if they ask questions. I'm also somewhat trained in the art of diplomacy, and have been known to put pressure using some intimidation if the situation calls for it. Anything that may provide an edge would be good, though I imagine I'll end up just walking in there, filling out a form, and being done with it."

HappyMerecat
2016-06-20, 07:08 PM
Elentis

Elentis nods towards Rahotep. "I have no objection with you registering us. I also have a reasonable knowledge of a number of subjects that are related to Osirian archaeology. If my knowledge will help I would be happy to join you."

grifter730
2016-06-20, 07:17 PM
"Of course, the more the merrier!"

Gunhaven
2016-06-20, 07:19 PM
Oret nods once and says "We can all go. You two can register us, us three will wait outside until we get everything squared away. After all there's no point in splitting us all up and having to find each other again." He turned to Hamid then and added "I believe we won't need your services currently. I'm sure you'll find us later, though."

DyerMaker
2016-06-20, 08:02 PM
Rahotep, and anyone of the party that joins him, take their leave in route to the Grand Mausoleum. The Grand Mausoleum is rivaled in size and importance only by the High Temple of Pharasma in Sothis, Wati's temple of Pharasma dominates the cityscape and handles the business of the city's births and deaths, as well as the details that occur in between. The main steps are flanked by two statuesque guards armed with longspears and clothed in blue and gold. As you make your way into the grand hall, there are a number of people moving about. A young man approaches and after telling him why you're here, he points you in the direction of registration.

Sitting at a single desk in a large, lavishly decorated room with small palms and grand works of art and sculpture, and two guards, is an innocent-looking young woman—barely. She wears the blue and gold of the Grand Mausoleum and wistfully twists a feather quill with one hand while twirling her hair with the other. Are you here to register? —but of course you are, unless—you're lost. Are you lost?

Those who stay behind in the Sunburst Market are briefly entertained by fire eaters and belly dancers. Then the barkers call to you, while those roaming the maze of tents hand out cards to advertise their wares. It is truly a zoo of mankind, but one where a lot of coin changes hand. This makes it a target for thieves. Then, you see them, the Marketwives, a pair of highly trained inquisitors who prowl unfazed by the clamor watching for pickpockets and those that would steal away goods. The thieves are dealt a swift justice. Anyone foolish enough to violate Abadar's law under their gaze soon finds one of their hands added to the dozens already dangling from the plaza's grisly Pillar of Second Thoughts.

grifter730
2016-06-20, 09:58 PM
Rahotep nods slowly, greeting the lady. "Indeed, we are here to register. Perhaps you'd be so kind as to explain how this process works?"

If it'd help speed up the game, in the course of the banter, I'd like to ask:
How many other groups have registered.
Were there any that caught her eyes specificially (and why)?
Is she aware of any groups with some renown (e.g. a group being known to be evil, group that's popular, etc.)?
Is the lottery truly random, or are there ways to get an advantage?

If needed, Diplomacy check: [roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-06-20, 10:39 PM
Rahotep nods slowly, greeting the lady. "Indeed, we are here to register. Perhaps you'd be so kind as to explain how this process works?"
If it'd help speed up the game, in the course of the banter, I'd like to ask:
How many other groups have registered.
Were there any that caught her eyes specificially (and why)?
Is she aware of any groups with some renown (e.g. a group being known to be evil, group that's popular, etc.)?
Is the lottery truly random, or are there ways to get an advantage?

You hear a booming voice behind you. HALA! The young woman looks up as if she's seen the undead. She drops the quill and quickly straightens the desk, then stands off to the side, looking down. The man who spoke now moves into view. He towers over everyone in the room and is built more like a god than an administrator. Pardon my daughter, Hala, she was—keeping my chair warm—while I was away. I am Tal'at, the Registrar of the temple. To answer your questions, the process is simple. You tell me the name of your adventuring company, the names of your members, provide a sample of your banner, and you're done. I'll hand you a token and will place one matching it into an urn prior to the lottery. Walk to the platform when your name is called.

There are many such as yourselves who've entered the lottery. There is no advantage. The lottery is completely impartial. Enjoy the rest of your day and be careful within the Necropolis. All other details will be explained at the ceremony on the 30th. Good day and may Pharasma bless you.

HappyMerecat
2016-06-20, 10:52 PM
Elentis

Elentis frowns a little. "It seems our knowledge will not be of any use in the selection process."

DyerMaker
2016-06-21, 02:17 PM
Now that your company has registered for the lottery, you have the rest of this day and one more for downtime, any purchases you'd like to make, or any outreach to contacts. Once I know that everyone is satisfied and ready to proceed, we'll move forward to lottery day.

Gunhaven
2016-06-21, 02:40 PM
Oret remains relatively close to his comrades, more because he doesn't want to have to find everyone again versus a chance for something bad to happen. Once they're registered he does speak up, saying "Should we get tabards made with our symbol? If we will remain beyond this brief exploration into history then I know I would appreciate the chance for some unity. Still, I don't think we'll have to hard of a time finding each other in the crowd. We are all unique in our own way, after all."

Phasm
2016-06-21, 04:13 PM
"We are indeed." Khairi frowns a bit, thinking. "I don't know, do you think tabards would be tacky?" She looks down. Suddenly the ground is fascinating. "And I am not, ah, overburdened with coin. Perhaps we should find a shady place to sit and compare our equipment, see if we can think of any tools that we may need and none of us currently possess."

BramsesII
2016-06-21, 04:58 PM
Senefer

"Unique is definitely one way of putting it." Senefer looks at her newly acquired companions and scratches behind her ear. "We could find a place in the shadows, of course. Or, we could go and see if the Tooth and Hookah has opened already. First round's on me, and we can discuss our equipment over strong Qadiran coffee. Or something stronger, if you like." A large grin forms on the tiefling's face again, as she mumbles something just loud enough to hear. "Maybe Farhaan can fetch me a pail with some water."

grifter730
2016-06-21, 05:18 PM
Rahotep can't stop the smile spreading on his face, good thing the bandage is masking it. These people seem pleasant and friendly, and it's the first time in a long time he hasn't felt any judgment radiating from people he's interacting with.

"I've heard of wizards who can create simple items using spells of prestidigitation, perhaps we can get badges done that way? And I'm always up for drinks, though us civilized folk prefer tea over coffee." He gives Senefer a wink as he says the last part.

Gunhaven
2016-06-21, 05:23 PM
Oret ponders for a moment before he said "Coffee sounds good. Especially with the first round on you, friend Senefer. As for being tacky, it's the easiest way to prevent others from judging us poorly for our outward appearance. It can wait until we delve a tomb though, and get a reputation to precede us."

HappyMerecat
2016-06-21, 06:26 PM
Elentis

"Should we get tabards made with our symbol? If we will remain beyond this brief exploration into history then I know I would appreciate the chance for some unity. Still, I don't think we'll have to hard of a time finding each other in the crowd. We are all unique in our own way, after all."

Elentis frowns at the mention of Talbards. "Why would we want Talbards? Unless it is absolutely mandatory, I won't be wearing any such thing."

"We are indeed." Khairi frowns a bit, thinking. "I don't know, do you think tabards would be tacky?" She looks down. Suddenly the ground is fascinating. "And I am not, ah, overburdened with coin. Perhaps we should find a shady place to sit and compare our equipment, see if we can think of any tools that we may need and none of us currently possess."

Elentis smiles. "I have coin Khairi if you have need, we are a team and hopefully friends and friends and teammates help each other. I think your suggestion is quite sound."

"Unique is definitely one way of putting it." Senefer looks at her newly acquired companions and scratches behind her ear. "We could find a place in the shadows, of course. Or, we could go and see if the Tooth and Hookah has opened already. First round's on me, and we can discuss our equipment over strong Qadiran coffee. Or something stronger, if you like." A large grin forms on the tiefling's face again, as she mumbles something just loud enough to hear. "Maybe Farhaan can fetch me a pail with some water."

"I've heard of wizards who can create simple items using spells of prestidigitation, perhaps we can get badges done that way? And I'm always up for drinks, though us civilized folk prefer tea over coffee."

"To a degree some wizards can, but in most cases there are better use for the arcane arts and my skills are not that way inclined."

Oret ponders for a moment before he said "Coffee sounds good. Especially with the first round on you, friend Senefer. As for being tacky, it's the easiest way to prevent others from judging us poorly for our outward appearance. It can wait until we delve a tomb though, and get a reputation to precede us."

"I am happy to join wherever we choose to go, but I do not agree in terms of the talbard or badge. I do not see how people would judge us poorly simply because we do not possess them, especially since we would mostly be, hopefully in crypts."

Throughout Elentis remains calm and quiet.

DyerMaker
2016-06-21, 10:21 PM
As you make your plans for the day, a steady wind begins to build from the east. As it strengthens the sands of Wati swirl and fly touching everything in its path. It's not an uncommon occurrence, but sand seems to find its way into the most uncomfortable of places. Merchants add tether to their tents and most seek shelter from this portent of a storm.

BramsesII
2016-06-22, 04:43 PM
Senefer

The tiefling listens to the discussion about tabards and badges and whatnot, when she feels the wind picking up. She looks up to see... sand. "We can stand here discussing tabards, but I think we're better off discussing them over a tankard. Well, coffee, but you know what I mean." Senefer looks at the others in turn. "We need to get inside somewhere guys. Do you want to head to the Tooth and Hookah or do you have another location in mind?"

grifter730
2016-06-22, 07:17 PM
Rahotep nods at Senefer. "Let's have that tea over at the Tooth and Hookah then, shall we?" He motions with his hand for Senefer to lead the way.

DyerMaker
2016-06-22, 08:15 PM
Pushing against the wind and sand of Osirion can be a formidable task. You reach the Tooth & Hookah with chapped lips, irritated nostrils, and a thirst beyond measure. The famous flag still hangs from the central awning, painted with a grinning green crocodile sinking its teeth into a gold hookah. You enter through a series of hanging beads and curtains. The floorboards rasp under foot. A fine layer of sand covers the floor. Pillows shaped like crescent moons surrounded low, round tables. Water pipes of dinged and dented brass with painted enamel bases rest in the center of each table. Clay bowls filled with the stubs of unlit candles hang from the ceiling. Filtered light from the curtained doorway leaves the room quite dim. The main room is probably half full with a mix of adventurers and locals. A haze of smoke hangs in the air, and Senefer immediately recognizes the spicy scent of shisha tobacco. There's no better place to wait out a storm in Wati.

grifter730
2016-06-22, 08:53 PM
"Ah, nothing like the comfort of pillows and some hot tea to take away the pain of sand itching the nether regions." Rahotep plops himself down on a pillow.

Phasm
2016-06-22, 10:31 PM
Before the storm...

"Don't you even try pouring water over my head, Senefer!" Khairi wags a finger at her with a mock-stern expression. Before the banter can continue, though, one of Wati's frequent sandstorms starts rolling in. "The Tooth and Hookah sounds fine to me."

At the Tooth and Hookah...

This is the first time Khairi has been to the somewhat infamous establishment, and her golden eyes are bright with interest as she looks around. It's not luxurious, but if it's got water and decent coffee, it'll do. Khairi sits down next to Rahotep and flags down a server. "I'd like a large mug of water to start with, please, and then a pot of strong coffee." Late nights reading, translating, and cataloguing ancient texts have given Khairi and pretty much all the other denizens of the House of Wisdom a raging coffee addiction.

Gunhaven
2016-06-23, 07:36 AM
It was all Oret could do to stay caught up with his newest allies, silently cursing his idea to wear the armor under the robe. He'd have to fix that issue before too long, especially if they were going to stroll through the entire city before delving some dungeons. When they finally got to the Tooth and Hookah he caught his breath and dusted off his robe while saying "No matter the location, sandstorms are always unpleasant."

DyerMaker
2016-06-23, 01:36 PM
Your experience at the Tooth and Hookah was as advertised. The coffee was semisweet and the tea was herbal and the mulukhiya with rice was more than satisfying. The conversation was good and your company became much closer during this downtime from the storm. You did catch a glimpse of one interesting person while there; Fahsal, leader of the Crypts. The male witch was tall at 6ft 4 inches, yet gaunt with eyes sunk deep and pallid skin covered heat to toe in tattoos. He dressed in typical Garundi fashion, not as an adventurer but more like a low-end merchant. He carried only a single dagger and wore an average amount of jewelry. There was no expression within him, only an air of solace. Leaving the Tooth and Hookah in the late afternoon you knew that you would have one more day (in the OOC) to purchase or secure any further goods before the lottery. This was a successful day. You are an adventurer.

DyerMaker
2016-06-23, 03:04 PM
30 Gozran, 4710

You awake this day to hotter temps than the previous day. Adrenaline rushes through your veins because this is Lottery Day. Your preparation, your new alliances, your hard work — all gets tested today.

Wati is near bursting with excitement as the lottery has finally arrived. Adventurers from most corners of the Inner Sea have assembled here beneath the Osirion sun to explore the tombs of Wati's necropolis, waiting only to be assigned their first sites for exploration. You notice many of the banners as the adventurers band together in small groups, but some flags and shields remain a mystery. It's most notable that the Crypts are positioned front-and-center for the ceremony. Surrounding the participants, the public has gathered to observe the ceremony as well. There is a festive quality in the air, and numerous street vendors are hawking goods and refreshments to participants and spectators alike.

In front of the imposing edifice of the Grand Mausoleum, an immense awning has been erected between decorated pillars in the market to provide shade for the priests of Pharasma overseeing the lottery. Beneath the awning, two urns sit atop an elevated table, a few feet above the ground on a wooden stage constructed for the event. The high priestess of the Grand Mausoleum, Sebti the Crocodile, sits behind the table, while two acolytes confer with her at either side. Sebti is young and beautiful, dressed in black and teal Pharasman robes. She seems young to hold such a position but there is no apprehension in her posture.

A large blue flag bearing a golden scarab enters your vision. It is Maalik and the Scarab Blades. The handsome Angelkin Bard bows and introduces himself to your group, giving Khairi a wink before introducing his company: I am Maalik the 3rd, Angelkin of Sothis, and leader of the Blades. To my right is Crow, of the Napsune, a breaker of stone; next is Shad, of Sothis, a master thief, eh, though he prefers burglar; There is a chuckle among them. To my left is Boitemelo-Abenola, the twice cursed, she is from the Mwangi; and finally is our renowned arcanist, from Katapesh, Iz Al-Din. Please, indulge us with your names and homeland.

grifter730
2016-06-23, 05:44 PM
At the mention of someone twice-cursed, Rahotep's mind focused sharply. He returns an appropriate bow to the newcomer, an angelkin who seems acquainted with Khairi. A little friendly competition would be good, he thinks to himself.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, I am Rahotep, the Cursed One as I'm referred to by some, or the Gauzed One as Senefer here calls me. Judging by her looks, undoubtedly she was spewed from the depths of the Nine Hells, our very own Brimstone Blade. To my right is Khairi, who descended from above, but perhaps you already knew that. Next to her is Oret, the savage oread bred to end lives. And finally, we have Elentis, a wizard who has traveled and survived the corners of the world where the dark arts still holds sway, and has returned to us because our party needed someone who looked normal." Rahotep smiles at Maalik.

"As for where we hail from, we are all children of the sand, forged in the desert heat. We are," Rahotep pauses, spreading his arms at his friends, "the Desert Bastards."

Turning to the woman referred to as Boitemelo-Abenola, Rahotep acknowledges her. "I've been studying curses almost the entirety of my adult life due to my... blessings. Tell me, why are you referred to as the twice cursed?"

HappyMerecat
2016-06-23, 06:19 PM
Elentis

Elentis wakes in the morning and memories the spells for the day and heads out after acting endure elements on himself.

DyerMaker
2016-06-23, 06:49 PM
Turning to the woman referred to as Boitemelo-Abenola, Rahotep acknowledges her. "I've been studying curses almost the entirety of my adult life due to my... blessings. Tell me, why are you referred to as the twice cursed?"We are similar in some ways. I too understand the revelations of mysteries.

Gunhaven
2016-06-23, 07:00 PM
Oret spent the night much as he had the past, the only change in his morning ritual being the decision to wear his armor coat outside his nomadic garb. In theory he wouldn't be spending time out in the desert today and if such did happen then he could always adjust the layers yesterday. He left after a simple breakfast, made sure his tab was settled, and finally meandered toward the plaza where they would finally be allowed to explore the past. He nodded at his comrades, kept his annoyance at the interruption to himself, and stifled a chuckle at his introduction.

grifter730
2016-06-23, 08:39 PM
Rahotep nods at the woman. "We must trade tales once this is all done with. It was a pleasure meeting all of you."

Phasm
2016-06-24, 12:05 AM
Descended from above? Khairi fakes a cough and covers her mouth to hide her expression. Apparently Rahotep enjoys laying it on thick. It's not a bad strategy though. The competition (for as handsome and charming as Maalik is, he's still competition) now knows what they are, but not very much about what they can do.

"Sorry about that, a bit of dust in my throat. You know how it is." She smiles at her fellow aasimar. Today Khairi has left her usual headscarf off to help her teammates find her in the crowd, so her extraplanar ancestry is on full display. "It's good to see you again, Maalik. May the gods smile upon you and your comrades."

DyerMaker
2016-06-24, 12:26 PM
Sebti the Crocodile, rises to her feet and looks over the crowd. She then slightly raises her right hand in a very relaxed fashion. Within moments the entire crowd of adventurers and onlookers conclude their conversations and are fixed upon Sebti.

Thank you for your silence. Let us begin with an invocation to the Lady of Graves. Sebti prays.

LET THE LOTTERY BEGIN!

There are three rules to which you must abide:
Remember How This Came to Pass! The Plague of Madness was unleashed upon the city of Wati while religious authorities were engaged in infighting.
(This rule is a reminder that the necropolis remains a holy place, and those who engage in needless conflict and banditry are not only criminals, but accursed.)

Every Slave's Hut Is a Memorial! Every structure within the necropolis is a testament to the people who lived and died in the city.
(Explorers must not desecrate or vandalize standing structures and tombs, but preserve them as the memorials they were intended to be. Some structures may be trapped or decrepit, but willful and unnecessary destruction will not be tolerated.)

Honor the Departed! The dead should be treated with dignity and respect. If the interred need to be disturbed to recover an antiquity or relic, they should be returned to their resting places carefully.
(It is understood that the ancient dead are often brittle, but there is no need for the contents of a sarcophagus to be summarily dumped on the ground. This rule does not apply to the undead or other abominations. Failure to comply with these rules can result in, but is not limited to, expulsion from the necropolis, a ban on continued exploration, seizure of recovered valuables, and arrest and prosecution by local authorities.)

Tal'at, the Registrar of the temple begins by retrieving tokens from the urn. As Rahotep grasps your token tightly, Tal'at shouts the name of the first company: The Dog Soldiers! A halfling warrior with a large dog approaches the stage, claims the token, then turns to face the crowd holding the token high as everyone cheers and jeers. On the fifth token drawn, you hear Tal'at shout, DESERT BASTARDS!

BramsesII
2016-06-24, 02:46 PM
Senefer

Before the drawing of the tokens...

Senefer scoffs at Rahotep's mention of her being spewed from the depths of the Nine Hells, but at the mention of her nickname she finds she actually likes it. The tiefling leans over to Khairi and whispers. "That sounds pretty badass, actually. I didn't really come from the nine hells, though."

When the Desert Bastards' token is drawn...

"Psst, that's us." Senefer nudges Rahotep and whispers to the bandaged half-elf. "I think you're supposed to collect it, Rahotep."

HappyMerecat
2016-06-24, 06:36 PM
Elentis

Elentis has been largely calm up to this point. When he hears their name announced he jumps into the air, raising his arm and shouting for joy. Such a blessing he had been given, to walk among the tombs or Orisian.

grifter730
2016-06-24, 09:22 PM
Rahotep walks up to collect the token. Halfway up the path, he realized he was grinning from ear to ear like a child. He accepts the token reverently, still in disbelief that he's actually going to be going on an adventure. He looks back towards his newfound companions, trying to meet their eyes in celebration even from a distance. He found Senefer's eyes first, before meeting the others' gazes, and he thrusts up the token and lets out a howl.

Phasm
2016-06-24, 09:34 PM
"YES!" Khairi pumps her fist in the air, laughing with glee and excitement. She gets to explore a pristine Ancient Osiriani tomb! Who knows what lost knowledge might lie there? Maybe she'll even find a clue to the great mystery the House of Wisdom laid before her...

Gunhaven
2016-06-24, 11:02 PM
Oret focuses his breathing at mention of the group's name. Emotions could run rampant when he's busy defending his comrades or finding the truth about what exactly he is. For now he simply reached back and gripped the reassuring shaft of his earth breaker and smiled, the whites of his teeth contrasting with the black of his stony hide, at Rahotep.

DyerMaker
2016-06-24, 11:32 PM
The token Tal'at gave you a few days ago held a simple mark representing your company. This token bears that same mark on one side and on the other, a simple number, 23. This corresponds with a major tomb within the Necropolis, one noted on your map. Tal'at continues to pull tokens until the last name is called, the Fire Drakes!

Once she is satisfied that all tokens have been drawn. Sebti rises and walks toward the front of the stage. Once again she raises her right hand in a relaxed manner and waits for the crowd to silence.

Although many of you requested specific sites to explore, we entrusted these matters to fate. The Lady of Graves is a far better judge of destiny than we of this mortal sphere. The gates of the necropolis are now open! Heed the rules set forth, may they guide you in your endeavors in this holy place: remember how this came to pass, every slave's hut is a memorial, and honor the departed. May you go with the Lady's blessing.

With this final instruction, the adventuring parties begin looking at maps, discussing strategies, what dangers they might face and preparing their gear for departure. The air is tense with both excitement and confusion. Some groups are obviously more experienced than others, but fate has a way of leveling the sands of Osirion.

BramsesII
2016-06-25, 03:17 AM
Senefer

Senefer shoots Rahotep a quick grin when the half-elf looks at her as he holds up the token. She then cheers, but not as enthusiastically as one would expect. "Well done desert bastards!"

When the groups start discussing strategy and Rahotep has returned to them, Senefer takes a look at the map. "So, which one did we get? And how're we going to do this? We need a strategy before we head into this tomb." She looks around the group. "There's going to be traps in there, we'll need someone to handle those. Someone needs to handle scouting. And we need to decide on what to do if we get ourselves into a fight somehow."

grifter730
2016-06-25, 05:27 PM
"I believe Khairi is our trap specialist, so perhaps she could be the scout as well? I'm a capable healer in and out of combat, and I can also help by putting down spells that provide obstacles for the enemy, or keep them contained somehow. I can also provide minor blessings to help in combat. Since I'll be staying in the back of combat, perhaps along with Elentis, we should be able to see the whole battlefield and call out changes of plans or tactics as needed."

HappyMerecat
2016-06-25, 06:05 PM
Elentis

Elentis nods as Rahotep speaks.

Elentis holds his hand out as Rahotep finishes talking and a green scorpion crawls out onto his hand. "I am first and foremost an academic in the matter of history, arcana, religion, planes, nobility and engineering. Not an expert, but I do try. I am also a user of the arcane arts. My abilities are likely not as useful as Rahotep as I can not heal. I also am not a bad archer."

Phasm
2016-06-25, 06:37 PM
"While I can handle traps, I'm not much good at being stealthy. Mainly I am an occultist, both a scholar of the occult and a practitioner of psychic magic. For example, I can perform object reading and find out about an object's past. I also have a certain facility with the energies of fire, which I'm sure will surprise no one." Khairi smirks and points to her merrily 'burning' hair. "If it comes down to a fight, I would prefer to stand back and kill it with fire. Or telekinetic projectiles, that works too. I can use my hammer here-" She pats the weapon in question. "-but given my light armor, if I don't dodge just right I could be in for some serious injury."

grifter730
2016-06-25, 10:03 PM
"Perhaps Senefer can scout? She seems sneaky enough." Rahotep raises an eyebrow at Senefer.

BramsesII
2016-06-26, 10:40 AM
Senefer

"I can be sneaky if needed." The tiefling nods to Rahotep's comment. "I've been told I often miss things, though. But I guess everything can be trained."

She grins. "I guess with Khairi, Elentis and Rahotep keeping back in a fight, that means you and I will take the front, Oret. You look sturdy enough to trade blows with whatever we'll be facing." She grins. "I'll take every opportunity I get to maneuver into a position that'll allow me to unleash some magic onto the enemy." She taps the rapier hanging from her belt. "WIth ice, fire, blade, or whatever I can think of."

Senefer looks at Khairi. "Also, even if I'd appreciate it if you don't engulf me in fire, don't hesitate to do so if it's really needed. I don't mind being hot." She winks. "Anyway... What's next?"

DyerMaker
2016-06-26, 11:36 AM
Maalik and the Scarab Blades wave and leave the area; See ya at the Tooth & Hookah!. Maalik looked extremely excited by the lot they received. Looking around, only three additional adventuring crews remain buying last minute equipment and strategising. The Fire Drakes, an all female company, were the last to receive their token and are now rushing toward the Necropolis.

Gunhaven
2016-06-26, 05:02 PM
Oret nodded at the planning, saying "That sounds like a solid plan. This coat keeps my pace slow in the heat of combat so it may be best for me to do my best to block any paths in case things go south. Otherwise I have no noteworthy abilities besides the odd temper when I sense you all may be in danger and some limited, temporary control over metal due to my noble heritage."

grifter730
2016-06-26, 05:35 PM
"Sounds like we've got a decent party makeup. Anyone know anything about lot 23, the one we've been assigned?"

Are we supposed to know anything at all about the lot we've got? Can we roll some sort of check maybe? If so, maybe just roll for us to move things along.

DyerMaker
2016-06-26, 08:48 PM
"Sounds like we've got a decent party makeup. Anyone know anything about lot 23, the one we've been assigned?"

Are we supposed to know anything at all about the lot we've got? Can we roll some sort of check maybe? If so, maybe just roll for us to move things along.

According to your MAP, lot 23 is the Tomb of Akhentepi (Knowledge History or Local) might help; or you could just go there and jump right in.

DyerMaker
2016-06-27, 08:16 PM
Your current knowledge of the Tomb Of Akhentepi; tomb predates the Plague of Madness, Akhentepi, was a celebrated military commander, the tomb is in the city's original cemetery in the eastern section of the necropolis.

Phasm
2016-06-28, 12:26 AM
Khairi drums her fingertips on her leather-armored thigh, thinking. "Akhentepi... ah yes, a military commander. If I remember correctly he died before the Plague of Madness. He was quite celebrated for his military achievements in his time. Given that I would imagine that his tomb is on the lavish side." She grins.

Gunhaven
2016-06-28, 05:47 AM
Oret cracked a grin at that and said "A real inspiration then. So now we should see what items we are missing before we explore his tomb?" He casually waves at his armor, robe, and earth breaker before he pulled off his simple leather backpack and opened it up. Inside was his metal polish, a small file, a leather paring knife, conditioning oil for leather, two soft cloths, extra leather straps, a sewing needle, a few buttons, a blanket, a flint and steel, an iron pot, rope, soap, torches (10), trail rations (5 days), and a waterskin.
A gear maintenance Kit, barbarian Kit, armored coat, earth breaker, and hot weather outfit.

BramsesII
2016-06-28, 03:32 PM
Senefer

The tiefling waves the fire drakes goodbye before turning back to the others. Khairi's comment intrigues her, and she grins at the aasimar. "Lavish is good. The lavisher the better." When Oret suddenly opens up his backpack with equipment she arches an eyebrow. "That's... a lot of things, Rocky."

Senefer then eyes the group. "For me, besides my weapons, I've the usual. Bedroll, mess kit, soap (wouldn't want to get dirty), ink and a pen, some chalk, earplugs in case anyone snores, - she eyes Rahotep when she mentions snoring - enough rations to last me five days, a waterskin, flint and steel..." She pauses for a moment. "With the rapier and the bow, that's it. No hidden weapons. If anyone doesn't believe me you're welcome to frisk me if you like." She grins.

grifter730
2016-06-28, 04:15 PM
Rahotep opens up his own bag. "I'm fairly lightly packed. Got my weapons here at my side, the light crossboy and mace, and I'm wearing my armor and shield. Got some waterskins, a hot weather outfit, 50 ft. of hemp rope, and the usual bedroll, belt pouch, and the like as you can see. I'm ready to go."

Pathfinder's Kit = This kit consists of a backpack, a bedroll, a belt pouch, a clay mug, a dagger, two fishhooks, a flint and steel, a sewing needle, a signal whistle, 50 feet of string, 50 feet of thread, a waterskin, a week's worth of trail rations, and a whetstone. For Small creatures, the weight of a Pathfinder's kit is 7-1/2 pounds. Leaving the bedroll and rations at camp or on a mount reduces the weight by 12 pounds for Medium creatures and by 3 pounds for Small creatures.

DyerMaker
2016-06-28, 08:06 PM
As you move toward your destination your attention is drawn to the great gates of the necropolis. The gates are flanked by clergy of Pharasma and Mausoleum guards. Tal'at, the Registrar nods as you enter. Just inside the gates you are awestruck by Pharasma's Needle; a sacred black obelisk, erected as a monument to the Lady of Graves.

The sturdy stone buildings of Wati's necropolis were once part of the Living City, and even now could still be mistaken for apartments, estates, shops, or tenements if not for the faded paint and desert sand piling up in the streets. Separated from the rest of the city by high stone walls inscribed with prayers and blessings, the necropolis has an outward appearance of peace and repose. The dusty streets are mostly empty of life, but today's lottery and the number of adventuring companies within have brought life to the Dead City. Moving toward the east, you notice a fellow company, the Sand Scorpions, removing one of their number from an open tomb. The half-elf is receiving aid from their Oracle as he looks to be nearly decapitated.

Phasm
2016-06-28, 10:29 PM
Before entering the necropolis...

"I have my weapons and armor, my psychic implements, a holy symbol in case of undead, waterskin and four days' worth of rations, bedroll and blanket- the desert does get cold at night- thieves' tools for locks and traps, a crowbar for locks I can't pick, flint and steel, a few torches, rope and a grappling hook, some chalk for marking our way out, journal and writing materials to record our findings, a scroll box in case we find any useful scrolls. Oh yes, and soap. I do hate being dirty."

In the necropolis...

Khairi swallows hard as she sees the Sand Scorpions tending to their nearly dead teammate. Gods, I hope that isn't us in a few minutes. "So... I believe our destination is in the east, isn't it?" It looks like the Scorpions' healer is doing everything that can be done for the poor half-elf. Nothing for it but to press on.

grifter730
2016-06-28, 11:43 PM
Seeing the near-dead member coming out of the tomb, and hearing the uncertainty in Khairi's voice, Rahotep falls in line next to her. "That is not our fate. I realize we're a new band and we have not experienced our first encounter as a group so there is little reason for you to believe me. In the tombs, I imagine close calls are inevitable, but those moments are where I will carry my weight in this group. I will bend the fates to our favor and make believers out of you. That is not our fate, I swear my life upon it."

Gunhaven
2016-06-29, 06:45 AM
Oret nods as he slips on his backpack and shrugs off his coat for now. He was slow enough as is, he didn't need to be half the speed of the rest of the group while he was at it. He did take a more forward position so that hopefully the group would move at his speed versus leave him behind. When they saw the half-elf he twitched minutely and put his coat back on while getting out his earth breaker. His voice lost the drawl of earlier as he grew serious and said "Slow and steady. That will unearth the knowledge we seek."

HappyMerecat
2016-06-29, 06:46 AM
Elentis

Elentis is saddened by the apparent death of a fellow explorer and he nods at Khairi's words.

"When one sets out to explore the tombs of old, lets not forget than there is grave danger. These places have been designed to prevent us from doing what we set out to do. We seek to explore that which was meant to not be explore. We are literally here to snatch gory from the jaws of death."

BramsesII
2016-06-29, 10:48 AM
Senefer

Seeing a nearly decapitated half-elf being lifted out of a tomb is not a very pleasant sight, and Senefer immediately looks the other way. "Well, consider ourselves warned, then." At Elentis comment she arches a brow. "Aren't we here to snatch glory from the jaws of death? Or did I mishear what you said? Because it sounded like gory." She inclines her head towards the scene they just encountered. "Because that's gory enough for me, thankyouverymuch."

The tiefling turns her gaze forward again. "Let's keep moving." She starts, then stops and turns around. "Uh, which way do we go?"

DyerMaker
2016-06-29, 01:07 PM
Reaching the eastern side of the necropolis, you spot what you hope is Lot 23. A rectangular stone mausoleum sits alone in what appears to have once been an actual cemetery. The trunks of a few dead trees gnaw their way out of the sand around the tomb. The dead branches crack and clutch against the hot, sandy breeze. A set of massive stone double doors is affixed to the northern side of the structure, beneath a facade bearing the likeness of an Osirian man along with faded engravings. Windblown sand is heaped around the crypt, partially burying the doors that lead within. A small, common black scorpion is seen digging into the sand toward the base of the doors.

grifter730
2016-06-29, 05:22 PM
"I suppose it's never to early to start searching for traps, may as well start at the entrance. Khairi?" Rahotep steps off to the side, prepared to cast a spell if needed.

HappyMerecat
2016-06-29, 06:11 PM
Elentis

"Yes, glory, I misspoke."

~~~

Elentis begins to look over the structure as well as the statue and especially the faded engravings. He casts detect magic to see if there are any traces of magic on the are. When he examines the engravings he casts light on his dagger and places it beside the engravings to create contrast to make them more discernible.

Perception: to read the faded engravings. [roll0]
Engineering: to see what the structure can tell him in terms of what they will find within or anything he can do to help find traps. [roll1]
Spellcraft: In case there is any magic. [roll2]

Phasm
2016-06-29, 08:13 PM
"Hmm, indeed. And if anyone else wants to help me look, you're more than welcome." Khairi takes out her crowbar and cautiously steps forward, squishing the scorpion with the end as she does so. She inspects each bit of stone, each carving on and around the door with painstaking care. It takes a while, but given what they just saw of the day's first casualty, better to be safe than sorry.

Taking 20 on Perception for a total of 24.

BramsesII
2016-06-30, 12:49 PM
Senefer

The tiefling steps back from the group a bit, in case Khairi triggers a trap or two by poking around. She keeps looking around apprehensively, her tail swishing from side to side. She decides not to help the aasimar look for traps because she's pretty useless at it anyway. Instead, she looks around, admiring the scenery. "It's pretty awe-inspiring out here. Kind of scary, too. So what's the verdict on traps, Fiery?"

DyerMaker
2016-06-30, 02:55 PM
With your keen eye and knowledge you read the name Akhentepi, engraved upon the doors in Osiriani, along with the dates of his birth and death, indicating that the deceased was born in 2416 AR and died in 2488 AR, 11 years before the Plague ofMadness decimated most of the city. Further, the doors are 10 feet tall and made of solid stone with no visible handles. Your engineering skill reveals that the doors are on concealed hinges and swing outward. There are also traces of mortar along the seams and jamb that has since crumbled or been chipped away, indicating that the doors were meant to be sealed permanently and not intended to be opened again.

Squishing the small, black scorpion was indeed your groups first achievement of the day. It didn't take much force to crush its tiny exoskeleton. (btw, this species is harmless).:smallfrown: In your search from traps you notice a small hole midway up the right-hand door near its edge, where the hinge should be if this were not a hingeless door. Your guess is that this is likely a trap that could easily be disarmed with a combination diamond-tension tool, found in any common set of thieves tools.

Gunhaven
2016-06-30, 03:40 PM
Oret for his part remained relatively close to the front. If he could then he had every intention to pull his comrades back to safety versus have them exposed to the dangers that was apparently these tombs. More to himself and to help pass the time he says "I for one appreciate the work they put into it. Hopefully we can go slow and steady so we can learn every scrap of history." Including if I'm tied to such a figure.

HappyMerecat
2016-06-30, 04:59 PM
Elentis

Elentis pulls out his notebook and takes some notes. "The doors opens out and looks like it was never intended to be opened again. I see no indication of traps."

Phasm
2016-06-30, 06:42 PM
"Mm-hm..." Khairi barely acknowledges her teammates' commentary as she slowly works her way up from the ground, scrutinizing the stone. She pauses about halfway up the right-hand door, where the hinge would be if said door had one. "Ha, I think I've found one. Everybody back up in case I fail at disarming the trap." Digging around in her backpack for a few seconds produces a roll of soft but lumpy leather; her set of thieves' tools. The aasimar pulls out an implement and sets to work.

Um... not sure whether to take 10 or roll here. IIRC your average mechanical trap is DC 20, so I think I have to roll.

Disable Device: [roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-06-30, 08:18 PM
Digging around in her backpack for a few seconds produces a roll of soft but lumpy leather; her set of thieves' tools. The aasimar pulls out an implement and sets to work.

Um... not sure whether to take 10 or roll here. IIRC your average mechanical trap is DC 20, so I think I have to roll.
Disable Device: [roll0]After sliding the tension tool into the hole and twisting it to the right, you feel what must be the mechanisms trigger. It's a flat piece of metal that you need to push backward and to the right. Unfortunately, you slip and push the trigger downward. This is when you hear the sound of windings and telltale clicking as though the trap is counting down to its finale.

Then, within the vault, you hear a series of metal-on-metal sounds as though several swords or similar objects all met in simultaneous impact.

You may breathe now.

Phasm
2016-06-30, 08:53 PM
Khairi lets out a most un-celestial curse as the tool slips in her hand. Frantically she yanks it out, already hearing the ominous sound of gears... and nothing happens. Outside, that is. Inside the vault she can hear large metal objects going CLANG-CLANG-CLANG. "Um... oops. I think that actually triggered something inside the tomb rather than out." She packs her tools away; there's not much point in trying again after a trap has been triggered.

grifter730
2016-06-30, 10:23 PM
The clang clang clang inside the vault rang clearly as everyone seemed to hold their collective breath. Rahotep cringed as if in pain. "Well, better inside than outside. Prrhaps it might be the same type of trap that nearly decapitated our friend back there. If it's safe to go, let's go in! I'm itching to see what's inside."

BramsesII
2016-07-01, 01:50 AM
Senefer

Senefer arches a brow. "Who designs a trap inside that's triggered from the outside? It's not to keep something in the tomb, is it?" The tiefling looks at Khairi. "Does this mean we're ready to go inside? Can't say I'm itching to do so, but then again I'm not wrapped in obviously itchy bandages."

Phasm
2016-07-01, 01:55 AM
Khairi nods to Senefer. "I don't see anything else, and I took my time to check thoroughly. The bad news is that we'll have to pry it open." She picks up her crowbar and extends it in Oret's direction. "Fortunately I came prepared. You look like the strongest one here, this should give you some leverage."

BramsesII
2016-07-01, 02:14 AM
Senefer

"Ever the prepared one. Hadn't expected anything less from you, Hot Stuff." The tiefling grins, her tail is still swishing from side to side impatiently. When Khairi hands the crowbar over to Oret however, Senefer's expression becomes notably more serious. Her tail stops moving, instead hanging downward with only the tip moving side to side a little. "Well then." She draws her rapier. "I'll be over here, ready to jump in in case something comes jumping out. Good luck, Rocky."

DyerMaker
2016-07-01, 01:23 PM
Even as you take the crowbar from Khairi, you know that deep within your onyx soul, there's simply too much sand swept upon those doors to pry them open. Digging will be required.

Gunhaven
2016-07-01, 01:56 PM
With a nod Oret takes the offered crowbar. He then looks down at the sand and ponders for a few seconds before he says "First we must dig away this sand. Then we can crack open the tomb." He ponders for a moment longer before he pulls out his blanket, figuring it'll be easier than digging by hand, and gets to work digging out an area for the doors. Ideally he'd like at least five feet before he deals with the doors but will work to make sure they won't slam shut from the sand while they explore.
Once his work is complete he'll finally attempt to pry open the door.
[roll0]

Phasm
2016-07-01, 03:00 PM
"I should have brought a shovel," Khairi mutters. Not one to stand about while othere work, she draws her war hammer, turns it so the head is sideways, and begins using it as a makeshift shovel.

grifter730
2016-07-01, 03:04 PM
"Perhaps there's another entrance. I'll scout around the perimeter."

Take 20 Perception going around the tomb.

DyerMaker
2016-07-01, 03:08 PM
Once the sand is cleared Oret presses with his might against the doors in an attempt to dislodge the solid stone with a crowbar. He strains until he feels his eyes bulge. The doors do not open.

There are no secondary entrances.

grifter730
2016-07-01, 08:12 PM
"No secondary entrance, and we can't seem to budge this door. Well, this is a rather embarrassing beginning to our venture. Are we able to crawl underneath and past the door, perhaps?"

Gunhaven
2016-07-01, 08:24 PM
Oret ponders for a moment, slightly hefting the crowbar as he thinks. Finally he says "Let me try again... Aid would be appreciated." He attempts to give it his all a second time, his anger at being stopped so quickly boiling over briefly. As he presses against the crowbar he adds "Worst case I can chip away at the door, if that doesn't disqualify us."
If I can try again then I'm gonna go ahead and rage a bit. If I can take 20 then fantastic (or heck, 10 would be better). If I can try again but can't take 10/20 then: [roll0]

HappyMerecat
2016-07-01, 10:19 PM
Elentis

Elentis ponders the problem as Oret struggles with he door. "It is possible the triggered mechanism braced the doors from the inside."

Knowledge(Engineering) to assist Oret by telling him where to apply force. [roll0]

"I suggest another assist Oret and you apply the force here." Elentis points to the part of the door where the force will be the most effective.

Phasm
2016-07-01, 11:37 PM
Nodding to Oret, Khairi squeezes in at the door and digs her gloved fingers into the crack where Elentis pointed. "Here? All right then, on three. One, two, three!" She pulls with all her might while Oret heaves on the crowbar.

Strength check to Aid Another: [roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-07-02, 12:58 AM
Oret, aided by his companions and with the crowbar is the proper spot, is able to dislodge and open the stone doors. In doing so you notice that these solid stone doors have no handles on the inside either.

Light from the midmorning sun illuminates this small, rectangular chamber. The nature of the trap is revealed as criss-crossed metal spears fill the room; making exploration near impossible until they are removed or retracted. The room is empty save for some engravings and fixtures upon the walls and an immense stone wheel against the south wall. The air is stale, and a layer of dust and sand covers the floor, lying in a thicker layer to the south. All four walls bear sunk-relief engravings and hieroglyphs, while stone faces are affixed to the walls at about shoulder height in each corner. All are covered in some degree of web and dust. The stone wheel to the south is engraved with a large spiral and is set in stone tracks in the floor and ceiling. The ceiling here is 10ft in height.

MAP (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-mZmQE6jrBhb1cxcm1uREc2YTA)

Phasm
2016-07-02, 03:23 AM
"So that's what the sound was." What would otherwise have been a joyful moment for Khairi is marred by the fact that she let her comrades down before they even got in the door. She sighs, then starts digging in her pack for a torch. Darkvision won't let her see color, and the mechanism to retract the spears might be marked that way.

Once the torch is lit she starts toward the inside wall... and pauses. "Hmm. I wonder if the mechanism to retract the spears might retain a psychic imprint of its purpose? The artisan must have spent a great deal of time making and installing something so complex." Only one way to find out. The aasimar begins scrutinizing the areas she can get to inch by inch, both visually and psychically.

Taking 20 on Perception to find the mechanism that retracts the spears for a total of 24, if anyone wants to Aid Another that would be super.

Also blanketing the room with Detect Psychic Significance.

BramsesII
2016-07-02, 03:48 AM
Senefer

Senefer looks into the room with a frown on her face. "Well, at least we didn't trigger it with someone inside." She looks at Khairi. "Any idea on how to remove these things?"

The tiefling scratches her head. "I wonder..." She begins the casting of a simple cantrip that can tell her if there's magic at play here. Once her magical vision is up, she begins looking around the room for magical auras or anything else suspicious.

Senefer's casting detect magic
Perception check to try to aid Khairi: [roll0]

grifter730
2016-07-02, 08:24 AM
Rahotep nearly lost his presence of mind at the sight of the engravings and fixtures, trying to see if he could make sense of any of it. But then Khairi's boice snapped him out of his reverie. He already nearly got her killed by not reacting quick enough earlier, and after making such promises too. Focus focus, he tells himself as he moves over to aid Khairi.

[roll0]Perception aid another

HappyMerecat
2016-07-02, 08:38 AM
Elentis

Elentis continues to take notes as the other discuss the situation. He examines the insides and where the spears come from to look for some means to deactivate the trap.

Perception [roll0]

Gunhaven
2016-07-02, 08:39 AM
Oret nods at his companions aid as his breathing gets a little harder. As he recovers he joins in the hunt for the mechanism, slowly returning to his otherwise semi-relaxed state with a hand resting on his earth breaker. In a quiet voice he asks "Would it be in bad taste if we just removed the spears?"
[roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-07-02, 10:33 AM
Approaching the chamber its obvious that the criss-crossed spears cover much of the floor space, making it impossible to move around the space without contorting ones own body in unnatural ways. What is also obvious is the location of the traps mechanism. It is attached to the right-hand corner, just below the stone mask and in-line with the tiny hole in the door. The mechanism can be reset manually, but wasn't meant to as no one was meant to re-enter this chamber. Further, Khairi realises that the windings were set for 90 seconds, giving a tomb raider ample time to enter the room before the trap was sprung. Certainly the Sand Scorpions learned this the hard way for the tomb they were awarded. Reseting the trap will retract the spears, but the right-hand door will have to be closed to do so. Destroying the mechanism will leave the spears in their protracted position.

Phasm
2016-07-02, 04:53 PM
"I think I see it over there, under the stone mask in the right-hand corner." Khairi squirms her way through the spears, eventually making it to the trap mechanism. Taking out her thieves' tools and carefully setting her torch down where it can give her light but not burn her, the occultist studies the trap for a bit. "Oh my. Ah, I think I know what happened to the Sand Scorpions now." She swallows hard, remembering the unfortunate half-elf. "This is a timed trap, set to go off ninety seconds after the door is opened. Plenty of time for whoever opened the door to get inside. It's probably just as well that I triggered it ahead of time, though of course it would have been better if I had disarmed it completely."

She looks over at Oret. "If I can't retract the spears, we'll have to break our way through them. I'd like to at least try retracting them first, but we'll have to close the right-hand door in order to do so. The left-hand door can remain open."

BramsesII
2016-07-02, 04:54 PM
Senefer

The tiefling nods. "We have a plan, then. Good." She looks at Oret as she walks over to the door. "Shall we try closing this thing up again so that Fiery can do her thing?"

Senefer puts her hand on the door. "Say when."

Gunhaven
2016-07-02, 05:45 PM
With a nod Oret begins to move again. He first pushes the left door out further until he's satisfied they won't get trapped inside. Then he moves to the right door and says "Understandable. Let's get this trap reset so we can better see what we have. Push!" Finally he pushes the door closed, taking a peek to see how the sand is doing.

grifter730
2016-07-02, 11:16 PM
With everyone now busy resetting the trap, Rahotep studies the engravings to see if he can make any sense of it.

[roll0] knowledge religion, it's the only Knowledge skill Rahotep has.

DyerMaker
2016-07-02, 11:23 PM
With everyone now busy resetting the trap, Rahotep studies the engravings to see if he can make any sense of it.
[roll0] knowledge religion, it's the only Knowledge skill Rahotep has. Rahotep cannot reach the engravings until the trap is reset, unless he makes a successful Acrobatics roll to contort his body and avoid being poked by a spear.

Phasm
2016-07-03, 12:20 AM
Khairi eyes the trap mechanism in front of her, trying to hide her misgivings. She's already failed once, what's to say she'll succeed this time? Stop that, self. If you think you'll fail you surely will! "Thoth, lord of wisdom, please lead me to understanding of this trap," she whispers. Open the thieves' tools, pick out the correct one, and start working.

I should have given Khairi more Dex and less Str...

DyerMaker
2016-07-03, 09:45 AM
With the right door shut, Khairi carefully reconnects the armature into the jamb. Then, using her combo snake-rake tool and the rounded tension tool she moves the triggers and the various tumblers and windings in an effort to reset the trap. It takes a tedious 15 minutes but once Khairi is finished, with a click and a grinding gear sound, the spears begin to lower. Success.

Should the right-side door be opened again, without proper disarming, the trap will activate again. Khairi has enough knowledge of the mechanism that her failure chance is reduced by -15 for any future disarm attempt.

HappyMerecat
2016-07-03, 09:49 AM
Elentis

"Good work!" Elentis peers in looking for any other traps before proceeding in.

Perception [roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-07-03, 02:41 PM
There are no additional traps in this chamber.

BramsesII
2016-07-03, 04:52 PM
Senefer

Senefer claps Khairi on the shoulder. "Well done Hot Stuff. I knew you could pull it off. Uh... The trap's not going to go off again if we walk into the chamber, right? I'd rather not be inside there when that happens."

"Being impaled is... unpleasant. Logically, being impaled by a dozen spears is twelve times more unpleasant then." She turns to the others, a grin on her face. "So let's avoid that, right?"

HappyMerecat
2016-07-03, 04:59 PM
Elentis

Elentis walks into the chamber, heading towards the engravings, doing his best to read them as he moves to them, book and pen in hand.

DyerMaker
2016-07-03, 05:54 PM
The hieroglyphs on the walls are ancient Osiriani and with the engravings, they describe the life of the tomb's occupant, Akhentepi, a celebrated military commander who presided over the troops garrisoned in Wati prior to the city's downfall. The first set of hieroglyphs warn, Akhentepi's tomb is well defended, and those who defile it tempt the wrath of the gods.

A second set warns, The only thing the Lady of Graves despises more than the grave robber is the unsuccessful grave robber. And the third wall of engravings warn, Turn back now or reside here for eternity.

HappyMerecat
2016-07-03, 06:23 PM
Elentis

Elentis reads the hieroglyphs to the group. "Akhentepi's tomb is well defended, and those who defile it tempt the wrath of the gods.
The only thing the Lady of Graves despises more than the grave robber is the unsuccessful grave robber.
Turn back now or reside here for eternity."

Phasm
2016-07-03, 06:31 PM
Khairi lets out a long sigh of relief when the spears start retracting. "It worked! It actually worked." She starts packing her tools away, then looks up when Senefer claps her on the shoulder. "No, as long as the right-hand door stays closed, it won't go off again. That's the trigger for the trap."

Tools in her pack and torch in hand, Khairi joins Elentis in reading the hieroglyphs on the walls. "Wow, look at the artistry here. The words are ominous, but the workmanship is beautiful." Her hands itch to take out her journal and sketch what she sees. I'll do it on the way out, I'm sure everyone else wants to get going. "I'm pretty sure we all expected the tomb to be well defended. We'll just have to be on our toes."

grifter730
2016-07-03, 06:39 PM
With the trap reset, Rahotep congratulates Khairi before walking over to the engravings along with her. He reads the warnings even as Elentis spoke them aloud, and a terrifying excitement bubbled up inside him. That done, Rahotep begins to look around.

Take 20 on Perception if possible, just keeping an eye out for anything of note in the room. Rahotep is a former student of archaeology, so any historical note would be of interest to him. Also, need to know if there are doors.

Gunhaven
2016-07-04, 02:26 AM
Oret nods once and says "Well done. Let us insure we are satisfied before we move on? Safety behind us would be preferred after all." Even as he speaks he moves forward, spending his time to investigate the most obvious exit while others write down what they see. He doesn't disturb, however, since he wouldn't want to anger the resident.
Joining in the take 20 checks, with Perception (of 25) versus the spiral door.

DyerMaker
2016-07-04, 12:37 PM
The stone wheel against the south wall is 10 feet in diameter and 6 inches wide, and looks to weigh a ton or two. It appears that the wheel can be rolled to either side along its track.

BramsesII
2016-07-04, 04:19 PM
Senefer

"Well then..." Senefer scratches behind her right ear. "I guess we roll this thing to the side. Do you want to check it for traps before we get ourselves bisected, Fiery?"

grifter730
2016-07-04, 05:22 PM
Rahotep walked over to Senefer. "Everyone's checked this place thoroughly, we should be safe, at least until we roll this thing. Might be that mummies are on the other side." He grinned behind his bandages.

"Oret, come now, I do believe we may need your strength for this."

Dyer mentioned in a previous post that there were no other traps in this room, which is why I'm trying to move ahead. I suppose the trap could be on the other side of the wheel blocking it, but that would be tricking us to move on into a trap I'd think.

Phasm
2016-07-04, 05:39 PM
Khairi nods. "I'll check anyway, can't be too careful, but it should be fine." She walks over to the stone wheel and begins inspecting it thoroughly.

Take 20 on Perception for 24. If she doesn't find anything, she'll stand back for Rahotep and Oret to open the door.

DyerMaker
2016-07-05, 12:07 AM
Khairi nods. "I'll check anyway, can't be too careful, but it should be fine." She walks over to the stone wheel and begins inspecting it thoroughly.

Take 20 on Perception for 24. If she doesn't find anything, she'll stand back for Rahotep and Oret to open the door.Khairi feels that other than a huge swirl engraved into this large stone wheel, there's little to inspect or do beyond the attempt to move the wheel. She's confident that there was only one mechanism in the chamber.

Phasm
2016-07-05, 01:02 AM
"Looks safe to me." The aasimar stands back to give Oret and Rahotep room to try moving the wheel.

BramsesII
2016-07-05, 01:41 PM
Senefer

Senefer looks at the wheel interestedly before stepping back to make room for Oret and Rahotep. Taking up a position next to Khairi, she unsheathes her rapier, her tail swishing excitedly from side to side again. "Alright. This is more of a job for you guys. Tell me if you need a hand." She looks aside to Khairi and grins at the aasimar. "I wouldn't be surprised if something comes jumping out from behind that stone. Best be ready, Fiery."

Gunhaven
2016-07-05, 03:30 PM
With a nod Oret gives the stone wheel a test push before he grips the crowbar and finds a good section to use it as a lever. Once he's satisfied he presses down on the crowbar while pressing against the stone wheel, adjusting only minutely as he does his best to free it.
Using the crowbar as a lever with a stone tooth as the fulcrum, trying to do it nice and steady like since he's in no rush. If I can't take 10/20 then: [roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-07-06, 11:45 AM
With a nod Oret gives the stone wheel a test push before he grips the crowbar and finds a good section to use it as a lever. Once he's satisfied he presses down on the crowbar while pressing against the stone wheel, adjusting only minutely as he does his best to free it. Using the crowbar as a lever with a stone tooth as the fulcrum, trying to do it nice and steady like since he's in no rush. If I can't take 10/20 then: [roll0]Oret gives the wheel an descent try, but more hands will be needed for this task.

BramsesII
2016-07-06, 01:39 PM
Senefer

Seeing Oret struggle with the wheel, Senefer sheathes her rapier. The tiefling steps forward, lightly pushing Khairi on the small of her back with her tail, indicating that the aasimar should follow as well. "C'mon Fiery. Seems like our help is needed here."

Senefer takes up a position next to Oret in an attempt to help him push.

Strength check to aid Oret: [roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-07-06, 02:50 PM
Moving around the wheel, the three of you are able to get it started rolling. The massive stone crunches and rasps against its sand-coated tracks. It finally gains momentum and comes to a thundering stop against the south edge of the rail. A 5x8 foot opening is now revealed. Humid, musky air is released from the chamber beyond. There's such a smell that a few, light coughs are inevitable. There is no light source in the room beyond.

grifter730
2016-07-06, 06:00 PM
As the passage opens to reveal the maw of the tomb, Rahotep lets out a slight cough, and looks around at his companions. "So... Scout?"

HappyMerecat
2016-07-06, 06:06 PM
Elentis

Elentis casts light on his dagger and holds aloft.

Gunhaven
2016-07-07, 08:49 AM
Oret nods to Senefer and Khairi as the stone frees itself finally. He then plops the crowbar in his pack unless Khairi wants it back. Finally he draws his earth breaker as he waits patiently, saying "It may be best. As long as you stay within visual range. I can only charge forward in case of danger 40 feet while wearing this coat."

BramsesII
2016-07-07, 04:37 PM
Senefer

Senefer nods. "Right. Scouting. That's me." She scratches behind her ear. "I'll try to keep my head on my shoulders. I'm quite attached to it. I could use a bit of backup, though." She grins over her shoulder at the others in the party.

Quietly, the tiefling creeps forward, sticking to the shadows and keeping her eyes open for traps and enemies.

Perception: [roll0]
Stealth: [roll1]

Phasm
2016-07-07, 05:59 PM
Khairi moves aside to let Senefer pass, remaining quiet as Oret puts the crowbar in his pack. She's just as happy to let him carry it, he's more likely to use the crowbar and it's a heavy piece of gear. "Good luck, Senefer."

grifter730
2016-07-07, 06:10 PM
"I'm, ah, not very sneaky. I can stay back about thirty feet or so and keep an eye on you if you'd like. It's very likely that I'd end up waking the entire city with how I move though."

HappyMerecat
2016-07-07, 10:50 PM
Elentis

Elentis draws his bow and an arrow, recasting light on the arrow. "We are always here to back you up, each in our own way. I with my bow and magic, but while I am nimble enough, I am not experienced in the art of sneaking."

Gunhaven
2016-07-08, 03:52 PM
Oret waits patiently as Senefer sneaks ahead. It's only when she leaves his chargeable range, or where he estimates said range to be, that he grows restless. For a dozen more feet he remains where he is, fidgeting slightly, until finally she exits the range of his darkvision. Finally he steps forward, whispering to the others "I don't feel comfortable with her being so far out. Does anyone else have an eye on her?"

grifter730
2016-07-09, 05:13 PM
Seeing that the whole group is overly cautious, Rahotep feels agitated at the idea of Senefer heading out alone. "Psst, would you like one of us to follow along? Might ruin the whole notion of stealth, but..."

HappyMerecat
2016-07-09, 05:25 PM
Elentis

Elentis keeps his eye on Senefer and quietly moves forward to keep her in sight.

Perception [roll0]
Stealth [roll1]

DyerMaker
2016-07-09, 11:20 PM
Senefer walks silently into the next chamber, each step more mute than the previous. The air in the chamber is thick and musky. It's as though this chamber has been void of circulation in centuries. This square room appears void of any markings or adornment. In the center of the chamber's floor, a square shaft drops straight down into darkness. A single piton has been hammered into the stone floor near the northeast corner of the pit. A frayed length of rope dangles from the piton into the darkness of the shaft.

BramsesII
2016-07-10, 01:59 AM
Senefer

Senefer cioughs a few times before she enters the dusty room, not going in until she's certain she's not making any sound anymore. After carefully scouting the chamber for living threats and making certain that there are none, she returns to report to the others. "Looks clear. No enemies, no traps. I think. You guys might want to double-check that."

She looks over her shoulder into the room. "There's some sort of pit in there we could descend into. I didn't see any other doors, so I assume that that's the way to go. Might want to check that for traps too, though." She turns to enter the chamber again, then turns around. "Oh, and there's a rope leading down. Could it be we're not the first in here? You know, aside from the builders."

The tiefling turns around again and enters the room carefully. "Let's go."

grifter730
2016-07-10, 03:39 AM
His mind filled with the endless possibilities of what lay below, Rahotep follows Senefer to the edge of the darkness. Looking at the black depths, it would've been a romantic notion to think it looked like staring into the black maw of the abyss, but really, it looked more like staring into a loo pit. Memories of his schooling days rushes into his mind, a treasure trove of endless waiting and careful academic inspection ripping the romance out of the adventure.

Rahotep softly sighs.

HappyMerecat
2016-07-10, 04:00 AM
Elentis

Elentis moves in lit arrow glowing for light. He examines the room and specifically looks for where the rope hangs from and how it is attached.

Perception [roll0]

Gunhaven
2016-07-10, 04:04 AM
Oret strode forward purposefully when given the all clear. After a quick look around to confirm that all was well he investigated the hole to make sure his squat body would fit well enough when they inevitably descended. He let one of the smarter folks draw conclusions from the rope, figuring they'd have to replace it at the very least.
Just checking to see if I can see the bottom of the shaft with darkvision really. Perception if needed: [roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-07-10, 01:08 PM
The shaft is 10 feet square and an example of superior masonry, with very smooth sides and joints. The shaft extends 30ft. into the room below, which is 60ft from your current position. The floor below appears to be smooth. The shaft narrows by half its width as it descends.

The rope extends only 5ft. into the shaft before ending, having been cut at that point. As you examine the rope, it begins to crumble. It was tied to a climbing piton.

HappyMerecat
2016-07-10, 02:04 PM
Elentis

Elentis looks down the shaft. "Well it certainly seems someone was here before us unless that is how the workers left."
He looks around at the group. "I do hope someone is more well equipped than I for this shaft. I have no rope nor climbing equipment in general."

He then carefully looks around the room and looks for any indication of a hidden door or switch. "Maybe there is a secret door."

Perception takes 20 for a 30. (Including+2 more for Inquisitive Archaeologist.)

Phasm
2016-07-10, 03:45 PM
"Fortunately, I also brought rope. I'm glad to see that whoever came here before us left a piton, though, I didn't bring any of those." Khairi swings her pack off her back and rummages through it, coming up with a coil of rope. Once her pack is back in place the aasimar takes a look around for more traps. She doesn't think there will be any more so close to the Spears of Doom, but the ancient Osiriani tomb builders did love their traps.

Take 20 on Perception for 24, Elentis is better but ICly I can't justify not checking. :smalltongue:

DyerMaker
2016-07-10, 04:37 PM
There are no secret doors or traps in this chamber.

grifter730
2016-07-10, 04:42 PM
"I've got about fifty feet of rope as well. Figures, I didn't remember to buy a piton either. Hopefully this one's sturdy enough still, and not rusted with age to the point of brittleness."

HappyMerecat
2016-07-10, 06:02 PM
Elentis

Elentis checks the piton and it's placement for strength as well for other role placement points using a dagger or piece of equipment he sees on anyone. "I take it no one has a grapple then either?"

Perception [roll0]
Knowledge(Engineering) [roll1]

DyerMaker
2016-07-10, 07:19 PM
You notice that the piton itself is still strong iron and useable. It's current placement is weak and will need to be moved to hold substantial weight.

HappyMerecat
2016-07-10, 07:27 PM
Elentis

Elentis taps the piton with his foot. "I think the piton is good, but the placement is not. I suggest we move it." He looks around and makes his best suggestion as to where to put it based on the structure of the room.

Knowledge(engineering) [roll0]

Gunhaven
2016-07-10, 07:55 PM
Without waiting for approval Oret gets out Khairi's crowbar and uses it to remove the piton. He then pops the crowbar back into his pack while idly feeling the piton, a rare smile crossing over his stony face as he feels the worksmanship.

DyerMaker
2016-07-10, 08:45 PM
Elentis
Elentis taps the piton with his foot. "I think the piton is good, but the placement is not. I suggest we move it." He looks around and makes his best suggestion as to where to put it based on the structure of the room.
Knowledge(engineering) [roll0]Any corner near the shaft is best based on your knowledge.

Phasm
2016-07-10, 11:10 PM
Khairi shakes her head as she walks back to the group from where she was investigating the floor. "I don't see any traps. Who wants to go down first?"

grifter730
2016-07-11, 12:55 AM
"Perhaps the scout and the death-bringer?"

BramsesII
2016-07-11, 02:23 AM
Senefer

The tiefling looks at her companions with a grin that could best be described as a mixture of cockiness and nervousness. "I guess I signed up for this. Well... Promise to erect a statue in my honor if I get decapitated? Make sure they capture my beauty perfectly." She winks.

"Alright. Let's get this over with." When someone has attached a sturdy rope to the piton and made sure that's it's attached properly, Senefer descends down the rope quietly, keeping her eyes open.

Taking 10 on climb for 14
Stealth: [roll1]

DyerMaker
2016-07-11, 03:33 PM
Hand-over-hand, gravity assists Senefer in her climb through the shaft and 60ft down to the chamber below. Touching down on the marble floor, there is a bit of sand in this 10x10 area just below the shaft. This room is 40x40 and appears to have no exit. Mirrored images of a warrior in side profile, facing inward, are carved on the west wall of this square space. The figure is depicted wearing padded armor, with a scarab-shaped shield on the arm facing the viewer, and a raised khopesh held aloft in the other. A crumpled humanoid body lies directly in front of the carving. A hint of decay lingers in the air, and a dried stain is visible on the floor under the body.

BramsesII
2016-07-11, 04:21 PM
Senefer

Senefer lets out a sigh when she reaches the bottom of the pit in one piece. Her relief completely disappears when she notices the dead body in front of her, though. Seeing no sign of hostile creatures, she yells up to the others. "Still in one piece down here! And we've got ourselves a dead'un! The room has no exits, so I'll need help in searching it for hidden doors and traps and the like. That means I need you, Khairi!" She pauses for a moment. "Might be good if a few of you stayed up there, in case we need help getting back up."

The tiefling decides to wait until she's joined by at least one of the others before she begins searching the room. Too likely that there are traps down here. Cautiously, she draws her rapier just in case...

HappyMerecat
2016-07-11, 05:13 PM
Elentis

Elentis looks down at Senefer. "Climbing is not something I am great at and that is a long ways down, but if there is no way forward down there then we are at a dead end."

Phasm
2016-07-11, 06:49 PM
"All right, I'm coming! Watch out, I'm dropping my torch down there now." After a few seconds, Khairi drops her lit torch down the shaft. If it goes out she can always light it again, but there's no way she can climb a rope with one hand. "Wish me luck, everybody. I'm not a terribly skilled climber."

The occultist eyes the shaft and the rope. Maybe she can brace her feet against the wall? It's worth a try. Slowly she descends, thanking the gods for her darkvision. This would be much more frightening if she couldn't see.

If I can brace against the walls of the shaft, I'm taking 10 for a total of 11. If not, let me know and I'll roll in the OOC thread.

DyerMaker
2016-07-11, 08:11 PM
A single bead of sweat drips down Khairi's forehead, leaving her face as if its drawn to the heat of her torch. Bracing against the shaft and moving slowly. She joins Senefer in reaching the next chamber.

Phasm
2016-07-12, 12:35 AM
Khairi sets foot on the sandy ground with a heartfelt sigh of relief. "All right, let's see what we have here." She picks up her torch and begins scrutinizing the room inch by inch, with mind as well as eyes.

Taking 20 on Perception for 24. Also using Detect Psychic Significance on everything.

BramsesII
2016-07-12, 01:42 AM
Senefer

Senefer helps the aasimar descend the last bit of the climb by supporting her a bit. When Khairi is safely on the ground, the tiefling grins. "Well done Fiery. Welcome to the dusty nether. There's not much to do here aside from inspecting the drawings. Or, I suppose we could take a nap in our own viscera like this one over here." She points at the crumpled corpse on the floor.

When Khairi begins to inspect the room Senefer does her best to help out, scanning the room for magic while she's at it. "Let's see what we can see."

Casting detect magic
Aid another on perception: [roll0]

grifter730
2016-07-12, 08:04 AM
As the others descend, Rahotep follows. It's been a long time since he last descended down a dark hole, and he came back forever scarred from it. Clenching his teeth together, he continues the slow fall with trepidation.

Gunhaven
2016-07-12, 12:20 PM
Oret pauses for a moment in thought before he called down "I will aid in the ascent back up. Call for aid if you need it." His voice wasn't too comfortable with the decision but he knew on some level that he would be more useful here versus down in the pit, unless combat came about.

DyerMaker
2016-07-12, 12:59 PM
A faint glow of magic comes from the area of the corpse. Upon closer inspection the illumination is coming from the pockets of his waist coat. After checking the room thoroughly for tens of minutes, you notice that the mirrored carvings on the western wall are more intricate that first observed. Naturally, the corpse will need to be moved or stood upon to give you a better look at this artistic representation.

grifter730
2016-07-12, 04:56 PM
Reaching the bottom awarded Rahotep with a sense of relief. At least he was with his companions now. Looking around the area, he was far too agitated to be much in awe, what with a corpse about. With a quick murmur, he casts light onto his trusty mace and he holds it aloft to look around

Taking 20 to check out the room, looking specifically for anything of a religious nature that he might be able to help shed some light on.
Knowledge (religion): [roll0]

BramsesII
2016-07-12, 05:34 PM
Senefer

Senefer's too distracted by the magic to help Khairi search the room properly. Instead, the tiefling kneels beside the corpse. "What's you got in your pocketses, mister dead guy?" Before attempting to touch the corpse, Senefer nudges it with the point of her rapier, hoping that it doesn't suddenly spring to life or something. If it doesn't, she begins rifling through its pockets to see what exactly is in there that's giving off that magical, magical glow.

She let's the others continue the searching of the room. It's not like that's something she's good at. "Found something interesting here. Not sure what it is, but I'm going to find out."

HappyMerecat
2016-07-12, 07:04 PM
Elentis

Elentis shout from above, "What did you find?"

Gunhaven
2016-07-12, 08:11 PM
Oret calls down "Just remember the warnings and be cautious! I will jump down if need arises."

Phasm
2016-07-12, 11:04 PM
Khairi frowns down at the corpse. "I think there might be something right here, but the corpse is covering it. Senefer, will you help me move him? Carefully. Something killed him and it might be a trap."

grifter730
2016-07-13, 12:45 AM
Rahotep's head perks as he hears someone mentioning a trap. "What if the corpse is the trap, and moving him will set it off? Or maybe I'm extremely paranoid."

DyerMaker
2016-07-13, 10:42 AM
Senefer
Senefer's too distracted by the magic to help Khairi search the room properly. Instead, the tiefling kneels beside the corpse. "What's you got in your pocketses, mister dead guy?" Pulling open the inside pocket of the waistcoat, the fabric tears as it has seen some decay. You find a small vial of clear potion and a simple silver ring. The corpse's gear has suffered decades of rot and rust and is mostly unusable, though a thorough search yields 4 metal pitons and a useable hammer.

BramsesII
2016-07-13, 03:13 PM
Senefer

The tiefling grins when she plucks the potion and the ring out of the man's pocket. "Found something magical here." She looks up at Khairi. "Oh, right. Yeah, I can help you. Rahotep, you should probably be ready to heal us in case we get impaled on spears or something the like." The tiefling gets up, pocketing the ring and the potion. "I'll have a look at those later. Or Elentis could. He probably knows about these things. Anyway..." Senefer puts a hand on Khairi's shoulder.

"Just tell me where you want me. Legs, arms?" She grins. "Or do we just nudge him out of the way a little?"

"Oh, he was also carrying some pitons and a hammer. Those might be useful too."

grifter730
2016-07-13, 04:22 PM
Rahotep nods at Senefer and gets into position about thirty feet away. "Ready when you are."

Phasm
2016-07-14, 01:23 AM
"Hmm... try just nudging him out of the way, maybe five feet. That corpse looks quite old, he might fall apart if you move him too much." Khairi bites her lip and silently prays that whatever caught this ancient tomb robber won't catch them.

BramsesII
2016-07-14, 02:23 AM
Senefer

The tiefling nods and gets in position. "Right. Let's get you moving, Scarabsnack. Try not to fall apart on us."

When Khairi is also ready, Senefer counts down. "Ready Fiery? One, two, three, HEAVE!"

DyerMaker
2016-07-14, 01:41 PM
The tattered clothes of the corpse as well as its bones disintegrate in some small degree, becoming dust in your hands as you heave whats left of the body a few feet away from the engravings.

grifter730
2016-07-14, 04:20 PM
With the corpse successfully moved away, Rahotep steps closer to inspect the engraving.

Knowledge (religion) if it applies: [roll0]

Phasm
2016-07-15, 12:00 AM
"Let's see if I can find a door here. Or a trap, or possibly both." Khairi bends down to inspect the place where the corpse lay.

Take 20 on Perception again for 24.

BramsesII
2016-07-15, 01:55 AM
Senefer

The tattered clothes of the corpse as well as its bones disintegrate in some small degree, becoming dust in your hands as you heave whats left of the body a few feet away from the engravings.

"Oi! What'd I tell you about falling apart?" Senefer grumbles. "You scared me."

When Khairi begins looking for traps, Senefer decides to help out. " Let's see."

Aid another on perception: [roll0]

Senefer is entirely too distracted to be of use. Again. "Still can't get over that flaming hair of yours, Fiery. You sure we can't douse it somehow?"

DyerMaker
2016-07-15, 09:14 AM
Rahotep senses no religious significance to the engraving.
Near the bottom of the engraving you notice a diamond shaped portion within the artwork; cut much more deeply than the rest of the engraving. At its top corner is a round, silver, socket-like mechanism with an opening. It's obvious that this sprocket moves within its diamond shaped border. It's not obvious what goes within the opening. The corner of the diamond to the west is covered in a splatter of dried, brittle, blood stain. Careful inspection of the engraving reveals that some constellation information is included within the carving.

http://i.imgur.com/HjGB1nZ.png

Phasm
2016-07-16, 01:48 AM
"Hmm, I think I found something. And if my hair bothers you that much, Senefer, I can always put my headscarf back on." Khairi points to the diamond-shaped engraving. Ordinarily she would be annoyed at Senefer's comment, but right now she's too busy trying to solve this puzzle. "Look, do you see how much deeper the lines are carved here? And there's a sort of socket here, as well as a bloodstain." She frowns, toying with her holy symbol as she thinks. "It almost looks like a constellation..."

What do I roll to identify the constellation?

BramsesII
2016-07-16, 03:48 AM
Senefer

"Oh no, it doesn't bother me at all, Fiery. It suits you, in fact. Very striking." Senefer's tail swings back and forth. "I guess I'm just intruiged with the possibility of... you know... potentially hiding one's ancestry somehow." Her tail whips upward, draping itself over her right shoulder. "I guess we should focus on the tomb, huh? What'd you find?"

Senefer eyes the lines. "Looks like a trap. What if something fires out of that socket? I wouldn't stand right in front of it." She rubs the back of her neck. "I know very little of these things. Maybe the great gauzed one or our foresty friend know more about constellations."

She steps over to the rope. "Want me to call the others down here?"

grifter730
2016-07-16, 08:05 PM
"My well of knowledge deducts that it's a square with a circle, though one may see it as a diamond with a circle. Perhaps that circle represents an eye? That's the extent of my brilliance, unfortunately."

Take 20 to look around the room (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-mZmQE6jrBhb1cxcm1uREc2YTA/view). Are the south and west sides walls? Or are those open spaces? Any gleanable info from the walls?

HappyMerecat
2016-07-16, 08:14 PM
Elentis

"What's going on?"

DyerMaker
2016-07-16, 09:37 PM
Know Planes; Khairi [roll0]
Khairi is able to deduce that one set of the characters is a combination West, North, East, North, West
There may be other combinations within the hieroglyphics. It's still unclear what goes into the opening.

Phasm
2016-07-16, 11:56 PM
"We've got a puzzle down here, Elentis! Come down and see what you make of it!" Khairi resumes staring at the probably-hidden-mechanism, chewing on her bottom lip. "Okay, so I think the four points represent the points of the compass. There's a pattern in the hieroglyphs; West, North, East, North, West. There might be more, though, and I still don't know what goes in the opening at the top."

Gunhaven
2016-07-17, 05:28 AM
Oret, knowing he won't be much use with a puzzle, remains standing near the hole in case **** hits the fan. Every few seconds he glances down nervously, not a fan of any part of this situation.

HappyMerecat
2016-07-17, 07:45 AM
Elentis

Elentis looks down the hole with a mixture of fear and curiosity. "Coming down."
Taking his time he goes down the rope.

Taking 10 on climbing for a 10.

grifter730
2016-07-17, 05:39 PM
Unable to help, Rahotep stands up and begins pacing around the area. Seeing Oret standing guard, he walks over to the oread to catch his attention, and then nods forward with an inquiring eye as if saying wanna join me and look around a bit?

DyerMaker
2016-07-17, 06:32 PM
Elentis reaches the bottom and approaches the engraving. Mirrored images of a warrior in side profile, facing inward, are carved on the west wall of this square space. The figure is depicted wearing padded armor, with a scarab-shaped shield on the arm facing the viewer, and a raised khopesh held aloft in the other. Within this engraving are various hieroglyphics that represent constellations, creating a combination of sorts for the mechanism below. Khairi has sorted one combination but more constellations are present.

HappyMerecat
2016-07-17, 06:50 PM
Elentis

Elentis examines the engravings and tries to understand the mechanism and how it relates to the constellations.

Perception [roll0]
Knowledge(Engineering) [roll1]
Knowledge(History) [roll2]
Knowledge(Religion) [roll3]
Knowledge(Planes) [roll4]
Knowledge(Arcana) [roll5]

DyerMaker
2016-07-17, 10:00 PM
With careful observation of the hieroglyphics and the mechanism, Elentis determines three possbile combinations.
1.West, North, East, North, West
2. East, South, West, South, East
3. West, South, East, North, East

Elentis also determines that the opening in the sprocket has an organic component. Translation: one places a finger or similar appendage into the opening and moves the sprocket through the appropriate sequence. This will then open a door behind the mechanism. A successful attempt to disarm the apparatus would also open the door. However, an unsuccessful attempt could cause the door to be locked permanently; requiring damage to the tomb to move forward.

Gunhaven
2016-07-17, 11:15 PM
Oret shakes his head at Rahotep, mumbling even if it sounded like the start of a rock slide "I'll stay guard unless we want to see if rocks will move it. No flesh to try and wiggle it around."

HappyMerecat
2016-07-18, 08:31 PM
Elentis

Elentis looks perplexed and concerned. "It seems that the combination is West, North, East, North, West or East, South, West, South, East or West, South, East, North, East." I am not sure which. I think one would need to use a finger in the hole to."

Phasm
2016-07-19, 02:43 AM
"A finger?" Khairi looks at the innocent-seeming hole with deep misgiving. "And there are three possible combinations, and we found a corpse here. With blood on the mechanism." She lets out a deep, deep sigh. "Well... it doesn't look like we can get in any other way. How do you want to choose? Roll dice? And who's going to be the lucky person sticking their finger in there?"

grifter730
2016-07-19, 03:59 PM
"Perhaps there are clues to be found in this chamber? Let's investigate in detail before plunging a finger in there."

BramsesII
2016-07-19, 04:17 PM
Senefer

The tiefling rubs her chin, walking up beside Khairi to study the constellation thingy. "What do you think it'll do if you get the combination wrong? I bet it snips your finger off the moment you make a wrong move." Senefer looks at the aasimar, gauging her reaction. "I mean, why else would that blood be there? I doubt people snapped their own fingers off upon getting it wrong." She looks at Rahotep with a grin.

"Not a lot of people have gotten here before us I'd think, so not a lot of people to get it wrong. But someone has been here before! I mean, that blood didn't get there by itself." Senefer pauses for a moment, mulling over her next sentence. "You said there's three combinations, right Elentis? Because there's two possible opening moves, and moving west seems to be very much the wrong one. That leaves us with only one possibility left." Senefer looks triumphantly at the others.

"Now, do you think we could try it with captain corpse's finger in case I'm wrong? It's not like he needs them anymore." She points at the dead body that is now partially dusted.

HappyMerecat
2016-07-19, 08:57 PM
Elentis

Elentis nods solemnly. "I will reexamine the clues and please do the same. I am not an expert." With that he begins to review the clues.

Gunhaven
2016-07-19, 09:41 PM
Oret finally slid his way down the rope, taking his time with it, and idled up to the puzzle in question. Specifically he was interested if the blood could've come from the former explorer or perhaps someone else. As he examined the room with the others he said "I don't think desecrating the corpse would be a good choice. Best to respect that which came before, right?"

Take 10 on Climb for 16, Take 20 on Perception for 25.

BramsesII
2016-07-20, 04:24 PM
Senefer

Senefer shrugs. "I thought those rules only applied to those who're, you know, supposed to be down here. I don't think Dusty here was buried in this tomb." She looks at the others. "Either way, if we're not using his fingers, then who's putting their extremities in that hole? I mean, we have the solution already, it should be a piece of cake." The tiefling rubs the back of her neck. "Or it's a piece of finger. Inside that hole. I don't really like that thought."

She shrugs her shoulders again. "It should probably be someone who sticks their fingers in a lot of things. Y'know, because experience counts!"

grifter730
2016-07-20, 07:07 PM
Rahotep walks back over to the group, eyeing the symbol again. "I agree with the Tainted One. This is the corpse of some desecrator, there should be no issue with using the finger."

HappyMerecat
2016-07-20, 07:31 PM
Elentis

Elentis looks around at the group. Clearly they have not understood. "We do not have a solution. We have three possible solutions and we do not know what will happen if we use an incorrect one." He looks to the corpse. "I doubt he died from a severed finger."

Phasm
2016-07-20, 11:47 PM
Khairi gives Rahotep a disapproving look at his use of the term 'Tainted One', however correct it may be. "I agree with Senefer, using parts of a grave robber shouldn't attract any more of Pharasma's ire than we already have by being here in the first place. It may not work, but there's no harm in trying." Provided nobody objects too much, she walks over to the corpse, draws her dagger and carefully attempts to sever one of the corpse's hands.

BramsesII
2016-07-21, 02:36 AM
Senefer

The tiefling arches her brow at the elf. "Have you looked at the mechanism? This thing will definitely snip your finger off if you make a wrong move." She points at the mechanism. "See where the bloodspatters are? That suggests that starting out west is a bad move."

"And since two of the options start by going west, they're incorrect options. Simple process of elimination." The tiefling shakes her head. "And Dusty here probably didn't die from a severed finger. A nasty fall on a hard floor might've been enough to kill him, though."

Senefer turns to Khairi. "Hot Stuff, how many fingers does our corpse have left? That might tell us if you indeed lose a finger to this machine." She smiles at the aasimar. "Also, you're our expert on traps. Think you can see anything about the mechanism that might yield more information?"

DyerMaker
2016-07-21, 07:56 AM
Khairi is able to easily remove the brittle right hand of the corpse, immediately noticing that the index finger of this hand was cleanly severed at the last knuckle.

It's at this point that Elentis recognizes the nature of this room. With the initial rope, that was found on the piton, being snapped about 5 feet down. This grave robber had no way out of this chamber. The chamber design is a trap in itself with the shaft having no connecting walls. He obviously got the mechanism combination wrong as well, but likely died from dehydration and the internal injuries suffered during the fall. Losing a finger didn't help his cause.

Phasm
2016-07-22, 12:57 AM
"He's missing the index finger of the right hand." Khairi holds up the severed hand, then walks back to the mechanism and delicately inserts the hand's middle finger. "Here's hoping this works. East, South, West, South, East." She takes a deep breath, exhales, then starts the sequence.

BramsesII
2016-07-22, 03:06 AM
Senefer

Senefer nods to herself when Khairi notes the absence of a finger on the corpse. "Yeah, definitely a trap of the finger-snipping kind." The tiefling is quite convinced that she's got it all figured out, but she still does take a step back, away from the wall with the mechanism. One can never be too careful.

"Careful, Fiery. You don't want to end up like Dusty. And I don't want you to end up like him either."

DyerMaker
2016-07-22, 11:23 AM
When Khairi inserts the finger of the corpse an audible locking-type sound is heard. Khairi can actually feel a small vibration as the socket locks on the finger. Leveraging the hand is tough but she makes it through the sequence.

A lever-and-pulley sound now echoes through the chamber as a straight, vertical line becomes visible in the exact center of the two carvings from the bottom of the wall to approximately 7ft in height. Then, both engravings move slowly, gliding on their rails, as they slide into the wall providing a view of a corridor beyond. The walls of this ten-foot-wide corridor feature bas-relief carvings of great battles. Armies with spears and shields clash at the direction of generals, while other leaders direct troops from chariots that are ruthlessly overrunning their enemies. Engraved stone double doors stand at the far end of the hallway.

Gunhaven
2016-07-22, 04:46 PM
After a few seconds of making sure nothing happens, Oret gets out his earth breaker and says "What do you think the odds are that those before further trapped this corridor?" Still he didn't wait long for an answer, shifting slightly so his armored coat was comfortable before beginning to slowly trudge through the hall and looking at the hieroglyphs depicted, part of him hoping he was tied to such a great general.

HappyMerecat
2016-07-22, 06:39 PM
Elentis

Elentis is impressed with Senefer. "That is why a team is good, we compliment each other."

"I think we should assume everything s trapped." Elemtis begins to examine the carvings and engravings of the corridor and door.

Phasm
2016-07-22, 10:33 PM
"Yes!" Khairi grins widely, setting the dead man's hand down next to the mechanism. After all, they have two other combinations to try. She picks up her torch and slowly starts down the hall, inspecting the stones every inch of the way. It's not paranoia when the tomb builders really were out to get you.

Taking 20 on Perception for 24, again.

BramsesII
2016-07-23, 04:16 AM
Senefer

The tiefling grins. "Ha! I knew it." Her tail swishes from side to side excitedly. "You can't fool Senefer Nisha so easily, tomb!" As the other party member slowly make their way forward, looking for traps, Senefer stays a few steps behind, keeping an eye out as well. With a bit of luck she can actually be helpful in finding something this time.

Perception check to aid Khairi: [roll0]

Unfortunately, Senefer notices a particularly interesting carving in the first few centimeters of the wall, and she pauses to take a good long look at it. She rubs her chin, looking thoughtful. "Hm, I wonder what this means."

DyerMaker
2016-07-23, 11:02 PM
The engravings in this hallway are intricate. Taking care in observance of them you notice very small holes on either side starting within the first 5 feet of the corridor.

HappyMerecat
2016-07-24, 06:22 AM
Elentis

Elentis nods as he examines the corridor. He gestures to the others to stop. "Don't move. I see holes in the walls, possibly through which darts are launched or gas is released." He begins to look for a triggering mechanism in the floor.

Perception [roll0]

BramsesII
2016-07-24, 06:40 AM
Senefer

The tiefling nods. "Right. I'll leave that up to you guys, then." She takes a few steps back, away from the hallway. "Alright. I'm ready."

DyerMaker
2016-07-24, 07:37 AM
In the center of the hallway you find a 5x10 pressure plate. The trigger mechanism for whatever kind of trap is prepared for this area.

HappyMerecat
2016-07-24, 08:11 AM
Elentis

Shooting what seems to be the trigger he points it out. "There. Looks l like a pressure plate in the middle of the corridor."

Gunhaven
2016-07-24, 07:17 PM
Oret pauses his advance when the trap is pointed out, sighing slightly. He steps back and admires the engravings until it's safe to move forward.

grifter730
2016-07-24, 09:05 PM
Rahotep found that he had been holding his breath as Khairi guided the finger on the contraption. When the doorway revealed itself, he flinched slightly, an imagined attack coming forth from within. With the passageway finally opened, Rahotep moves towards Khairi and Senefer. "Well done, very smart thinking."

He moves behind the others, awaiting the scout and admiring the bas-relief carvings on the walls.

Take 20 on Perception.
Knowledge (Religion) on the bas-relief carvings, if helpful: [roll0]

BramsesII
2016-07-25, 04:26 AM
Senefer

Senefer grins at Rahotep. "Thanks, Rahotep. Guess you could say Fiery and I make a good team, huh?" The tiefling turns to wink at Khairi before direction her attention towards Elentis. "A pressure plate, you say? Any idea what sort of trap it triggers? Darts, gas, spears? And do you think it can be disabled somehow? I'd feel safer when it's not working anymore. For instance, if we need to retreat to this room I'd rather not have an active trap waiting."

HappyMerecat
2016-07-25, 07:54 PM
Elentis

Elentis nods. "I agree, we should deactivate any trap we can for numerous reasons. I am sure most any trap can be deactivated."

He begins to look for some way to deactivate it.

Perception[roll0]
Knowledge(Enginnering) [roll1]
Happy to have this aid our trap finder if that makes more sense.

DyerMaker
2016-07-26, 05:35 PM
The trap is activated by a simple pressure plate. You're not sure what is released once activated; gas, arrows, asps, etc. A disable device attempt will need to be made.

Phasm
2016-07-26, 11:32 PM
Khairi takes her tools out of her pack and walks toward the trap, expression grim. "All right, back up everybody. If I set this one off, I don't want anyone else to get hurt." Once the other members of the party are out of the corridor, the aasimar props her torch up against a wall and starts examining the mechanism. "Hmm... mhm... aha, there it is." She takes out a delicate probe and begins to work.

DyerMaker
2016-07-27, 01:35 PM
Khairi is able to successfully disable the pressure plate and therefore, disarming the trap.

BramsesII
2016-07-27, 03:35 PM
Senefer

The tiefling keeps her distance as Khairi attempts to disable the trap. When it appears that nothing comes out of the holes - no spears, no darts, no gas, no bees - Senefer inches forward carefully with a grin on her face. "Well done Fiery. That'll keep us from running into a nasty surprise on the way out. Let's keep going, shall we?"

Phasm
2016-07-27, 05:33 PM
"There we go!" Khairi stands up and turns back to the group with a grin. "One trap down." She picks up her torch and slowly moves forward, looking for more traps.

Take 20 on Perception for 24.

HappyMerecat
2016-07-27, 07:03 PM
Elentis

Elentis moves forward and begins to examine the walls of the corridor. "I expect there will be more traps, but maybe not here."

DyerMaker
2016-07-27, 08:22 PM
After some time looking over the corridor no one is able to spot additional traps. Further, no traps are triggered during this intense examination. You do find that the western door is slightly ajar.

Phasm
2016-07-27, 08:27 PM
Khairi waves to the rest of the group once she's completed her examination. "I don't see anything else. Although... hello, one of the doors is ajar. I wonder if our dead tomb robber had companions who got further than he did?"

Gunhaven
2016-07-28, 12:33 AM
Oret ponders for a moment before he approaches the door, saying "Why would someone do that? Maybe those from before just left the door open when they left?" Still, he doesn't trust touching the thing since everything else has traps.

grifter730
2016-07-28, 05:11 PM
Rahotep trails behind the group. He's only been useful in doling out praise to the others thus far. Well, he's still alive at least, so he's got that going for him.

BramsesII
2016-07-30, 02:11 AM
Senefer

Senefer eyes the door, and Oret walking over to it. "Careful there Rocky. Could be trapped." The tiefling walks over to the door as well, trying to peek through the opening with her darkvision.

perception: [roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-07-30, 12:32 PM
Senefer
The tiefling walks over to the door as well, trying to peek through the opening with her darkvision.
perception: [roll0]Senefer sees what appears to be another corpse laying just beyond the door.

BramsesII
2016-07-30, 04:09 PM
Senefer

Senefer waves the others over. "We've got another dead one over here, I think. Not sure what they died of, but I'm betting it starts with "t" and ends with "rap". You're up, Hot Stuff." The tiefling grins at Khairi.

HappyMerecat
2016-07-30, 04:19 PM
Elentis

"I would not bet on anything quite yet. I would not be surprised if there are dangers beyond traps."
Elentis listens and looks as best he can for signs of danger.

Perception [roll0]

Gunhaven
2016-07-30, 04:57 PM
Oret nods once and says "Probably a puzzle, too. Now I wonder who left who..." From his vantage point he tries to decipher what kinda trap killed the corpse this time.

grifter730
2016-07-30, 08:44 PM
"We've got a trail of dead bodies. These poor souls, at least they're proving useful after death, their bodies giving us warnings of danger."

Phasm
2016-07-30, 11:35 PM
"Oh look, another trap. Surprise, surprise." Khairi moves forward to survey the area. She takes her time like always. It's not as if they have a deadline.

Take 20 on Perception for 24.