PDA

View Full Version : Blue vs. Brass: Making a campaign about dragons

shamgar001
2016-06-16, 02:58 PM
I'm working on writing a campaign, and this is my current idea for the main arc:

A desert area is dominated by a blue dragon. He mostly just collects tribute and occasionally destroys a village for fun, but otherwise lets the humanoids run their own affairs. A brass dragon wants to challenge Blue, but with an age category and CR10 difference between them, he isn't ready. So he uses a magic item to disguise himself as the Vizier of a puppet sultanate, where he schemes to increase his power while subtly sabotaging Blue.

The PCs get involved when Brass sends an army of mercenaries to attack an independent city in order to obtain an artifact. Eventually I'd like to get the PCs involved him helping Brass collect the artifacts he needs to defeat Blue.

So here's where I'm unsure: it seems like it's only right for one dragon to kill the other, since neither one would be able to take pride is sending adventurers to strike the killing blow. But it also seems like bad DM'ing to make the PCs spectators in the climactic fight. Am I off-base about either of these? Is there a good way to keep the PCs involved while still making it ultimately a dragon vs. dragon fight?

Naicz
2016-06-16, 03:04 PM
Who says the Brass dragon is the only one to have a champion(s)?

The dragons duke it out while the party fights a BBEG acolyte of the blue dragon/Evil Party of dragon worshipers.

Maybe something like a powerful Genie wizard/Storm Giant/Mummy lord, depending on the Blue Dragons preferred lackeys.

It could even have the big dragons as a sort of environmental effect, like maybe the Brass dragon buffs/heals the party or summons some allies to aid them, or the blue dragon creates a lightning storm or something for the party to deal with.

Seems like a pretty sweet backdrop to a final fight, 2 epic dragons dueling in the sky!

KorvinStarmast
2016-06-16, 03:05 PM
I'm working on writing a campaign, and this is my current idea for the main arc:

A desert area is dominated by a blue dragon. He mostly just collects tribute and occasionally destroys a village for fun, but otherwise lets the humanoids run their own affairs. A brass dragon wants to challenge Blue, but with an age category and CR10 difference between them, he isn't ready. So he uses a magic item to disguise himself as the Vizier of a puppet sultanate, where he schemes to increase his power while subtly sabotaging Blue.
FWIW, the shape change feature for Metallic Dragons does not work for age categories under adult or ancient. I like your idea on using a magical device that allows the Brass to shape change.

And I love your idea overall! Given the CR difference, is there a way to fold in the PC's as allies in the final fight? Or maybe they fight some of the Blue's subjects/allies so that Brass has a chance at 1v1 ....

shamgar001
2016-06-16, 03:18 PM
Who says the Brass dragon is the only one to have a champion(s)?

The dragons duke it out while the party fights a BBEG acolyte of the blue dragon/Evil Party of dragon worshipers.

Maybe something like a powerful Genie wizard/Storm Giant/Mummy lord, depending on the Blue Dragons preferred lackeys.

It could even have the big dragons as a sort of environmental effect, like maybe the Brass dragon buffs/heals the party or summons some allies to aid them, or the blue dragon creates a lightning storm or something for the party to deal with.

Seems like a pretty sweet backdrop to a final fight, 2 epic dragons dueling in the sky!

Aha, so Brass can hold his ground against Blue for a time, but will eventually lose. In order to turn the fight in his favor, the party needs to do something, placeholder: push the button. And between the PCs and the button is a horde of Blue's minions. I like it. The environmental effects would make the scene epic, and it provides a time crunch.

FWIW, the shape change feature for Metallic Dragons does not work for age categories under adult or ancient. I like your idea on using a magical device that allows the Brass to shape change.

Maybe for one quest, someone will, manage to steal the item, so Bass has to lock himself in his lair and pretend to have the flu while the PCs go retrieve it.

dickerson76
2016-06-16, 03:23 PM
So here's where I'm unsure: it seems like it's only right for one dragon to kill the other, since neither one would be able to take pride is sending adventurers to strike the killing blow. But it also seems like bad DM'ing to make the PCs spectators in the climactic fight. Am I off-base about either of these? Is there a good way to keep the PCs involved while still making it ultimately a dragon vs. dragon fight?

I'd recommend having the party work with Brass and get to know and like him. At the end (but before it seems like it should be the end), Blue figures out what is going on before Brass is ready. Blue destroys more and more cities goading Brass to come out of hiding. Brass (being Good?) is forced out of hiding and into a direct confrontation sooner than he wanted and is destroyed. All that happens rather quickly while the party is out getting [something] for Brass to complete his plan. Party returns. Moving forward depends on how you want Blue to feel.

a) Blue's anger is quenched and he goes back to his more passive role - though he demands the same tribute from the remaining towns, effectively making life harder for the humans that survive. Party reacts how they want - can go on a revenge hunt for Blue, seek more power before going after Blue, walk away from the whole thing, help the people rise up...it's up to them.

OR

b) Blue knows of the Party's assistance to Brass and wants them wiped out as well. Offers the same deal: razes a town a week until a town gives up the party or the party voluntary gives themselves up.

shamgar001
2016-06-16, 03:29 PM
Blue figures out what is going on before Brass is ready.

That would explain why the fight started before Brass pushed the button, or whatever the party needs to do during the fight. Under normal circumstances, Brass wouldn't be willing to start the fight until he was completely ready.