PDA

View Full Version : Is there an item that boosts initiative?

pantoffelheld
2007-06-29, 11:34 AM
not sure if this is the right board:smallredface: . I'm looking for an item that grants me a constant bonus to initiative. Main reason is I wanted to take Improved Initiative but I don't really have feats to spare with the two-weapon fighting and all. level is 5, for all that matters. campaign is eberron and basically all books are allowed

thanks in advance

Jimp
2007-06-29, 11:44 AM
Anything that boosts your Dexterity will also boost your initiative.

Fixer
2007-06-29, 11:53 AM
I can't think of anything that doesn't do it through Dexterity boost or granting the Improved Initiative feat.

There is another feat that grants a +2 in addition to some other bonus but I forget the name.

Ah, a search of the SRD says a Rod of Alertness grants a +1 insight bonus to Initiative, so there is a small precedent.

Lemur
2007-06-29, 11:54 AM
You might be able to get a custom item that grants you Nerveskitter.

Zim
2007-06-29, 11:56 AM
There is a magic weapon enhancement in Item Compendium that grants a +5 initiative for a +1 bonus. Does this help?

skeeter_dan
2007-06-29, 12:12 PM
Any item that boosts your Dex will boost your initiative (not to mention a whole bunch of other useful stuff). That would be my recommendation. I'm not aware of any items that grant a bonus just to initiative.

bigbaddragon
2007-06-29, 01:41 PM
There is another feat that grants a +2 in addition to some other bonus but I forget the name.

Quick Reconnoiter from Complete Adventurer, page 112. Also gives free spot and listen checks once per round.

Belt Of Battle from MIC (page 73) gives +2 competence bonus to initiative.

Forks
2007-06-29, 02:08 PM
eager weapon enchant gives +2 init and quick draw on that weapon. its also in the magic item compendium.

CrazedGoblin
2007-06-29, 02:22 PM
dex is great for initiative, i once played an archer who had improved initiative and a high dex it was great i went first nearly every time :smallbiggrin:

Seffbasilisk
2007-06-29, 03:15 PM
The 'Burning' Enchantment. Think it's from Ebberon. It's like flaming, only in addition, they have to make a low reflex save or catch on fire each time hit. If it's burning when the fight starts, you get a +2 to initiative. +2 cost.

Talya
2007-06-29, 04:34 PM

Blooded (regional, 1st level only) +2 initiative, +2 spot.

Mavian
2007-06-29, 04:51 PM
There is a Sithiliar graft in Lords of Madness that gives you a +4 racial bonus to initiative.

Cruiser1
2007-06-29, 04:56 PM
The 2nd level SOR/WIZ spell "Heroics" from the Spell Compenium grants the target a Figher bonus feat. Choose Improved Initiative to get a nice +4 boost to your init. Put the Heroics spell in a wand or x/day item, and that would be a nice way to get what you want.

Curmudgeon
2007-06-30, 05:18 AM
The Dragonfly Medallion (Arms and Equipment Guide) grants the Improved Initiative feat. It does other stuff as well, so it's probably outside your price range at 5th level.

There is a magic weapon enhancement in Item Compendium that grants a +5 initiative for a +1 bonus. Does this help? Zim-- Are you thinking of the Eager weapon special ability? Because that grants +2 to initiative, not +5. Plus you've got to be wielding the weapon when initiative is rolled to get the benefit.

Iku Rex
2007-06-30, 05:41 AM
Zim-- Are you thinking of the Eager weapon special ability? Because that grants +2 to initiative, not +5. Plus you've got to be wielding the weapon when initiative is rolled to get the benefit.He means the warning ability (+1, MIC 36). +5 insight bonus on initiative checks when held.

It's probably out of the OPs price range, but stones of good luck and pale green ioun stones add +1 (luck, competence) to ability checks. An initiative check is a dexterity check, which is an ability check.

Curmudgeon
2007-06-30, 07:08 AM
He means the warning ability (+1, MIC 36). +5 insight bonus on initiative checks when held. Ah, thanks. This isn't the usual untyped initiative bonus, explaining why it's a bigger bonus for the same cost. Eager in the Arms and Equipment Guide provided a bonus even when sheathed but it was a +2 bonus cost. My unarmed Monk used to have an Eager dagger in his backpack for the initiative boost. :smallsigh:

Iku Rex
2007-06-30, 07:28 AM
Eager in the Arms and Equipment Guide provided a bonus even when sheathed but it was a +2 bonus cost. My unarmed Monk used to have an Eager dagger in his backpack for the initiative boost. :smallsigh:The Luck Blade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#luckBlade) is the worst offender when it comes to that sort of thing in my experience. Every high level character carries a "0 wishes" blade around for the save bonus and reroll. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, eager has been changed in the MIC. It's now a +1 ability, it only works when "wielded", and you get a +2 bonus on damage in surprise rounds and the first round of combat. (In addition to the unnamed +2 bonus on initiative and the "draw as a free action" power).